Doug Whaley: " Kiko Alonso will move to weak-side linebacker in 2014."

bigvinny

rotoworld:

It certainly sounds like DC Jim Schwartz will be running a 4-3 defense. Freshly-signed Keith Rivers will be the starter on the strong side, while Whaley says the team is still looking for a middle linebacker in free agency. Manny Lawson's role will be reduced. Schwartz's weak-side 'backer in Detroit was DeAndre Levy. Levy played 1,055 snaps in 2013, racking up 119 tackles and six picks. Alonso's tackles may dip but he'll remain a strong IDP option.

Bills GM Doug Whaley mentioned second-year LB Ty Powell as a candidate for the starting middle linebacker spot.

Powell was a seventh-round pick by the Seahawks last April. He couldn't crack Seattle's loaded roster and appeared in five games for the Bills as a rookie. Kiko Alonso is moving to weak-side linebacker in 2014. Powell is a big-time athlete and former defensive back. The Bills will have tryouts at the MIKE spot.

Why are they reducing Manny Lawsons role I thouight he was great.

They finally turn the defense around and now they are changing schemes nd moving guys around. I dont like it.

How can you give RIVERS a starting job when he couldnt start on the giants? Then we just hand him the job over our starter?

Let him compete sure, but to sign him and promise the job? Stupid.

They finally turn the defense around and now they are changing schemes nd moving guys around. I dont like it.

How can you give RIVERS a starting job when he couldnt start on the giants? Then we just hand him the job over our starter?

Rivers started 8 games at SLB for the Giants. Rivers is a talented player that hasn't produced to the level he is capable of. IMO he is a better SLB in the 4-3 than Manny Lawson, they can compete for the spot but Rivers should win it. Lawson is a better OLB in the 3-4.

Lawson gives them versatility as a DE, because he can also drop into coverage occasionally giving DC Jim Schwartz to use zone blitz's.

The defence was great at producing sacks and playing better pass defence but got killed in run defence, look at the 2nd Patriots game for an example of why the run defence has to improve.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I don't know where they are getting that Rivers will be the starter. In Whaley's wgr interview this morning, which I highly recommend http://audio.wgr550.com/device/mobile/a/88754867/3-14-doug-whaley-on-wgr.htm? He says that Rivers will compete for the olb spot and that Lawson will be used as both olb and pass rusher with hand down. In no way was he saying Rivers has the spot.

As far as Kiko moving to olb he says he can use his speed and athleticism better outside because he won't be tied up in traffic by interior o-linemen. Makes sense to me.

"Turn the defense around"....which defense is that? The one that gave up the 5th most rushing yards in the NFL? The one that gave up an 80 yard TD to Bobby Rainey and 4 TDs to Legarrette Blount? The D that was so great that we finished 6-10 again?

Yes why would we want to change schemes or move guys around on a D like that?