Ukraine and Israel Are Very Special Democracies

shiva2999

https://www.unz.com/trall/ukraine-and-israel-are-very-special-democracies/

TED RALL • OCTOBER 27, 2023

Hi. Joe Biden here, asking for more money for Ukraine and Israel.

Many Americans are asking: Why, while millions of Americans are unemployed and getting evicted and starving and homeless, should we ignore our own people and send billions of dollars to foreign countries instead? The answer is: democracy. We have to defend democracy.

Ukraine and Israel aren’t just democracies. They’re special democracies.

Very special democracies.

Ukraine, for example, is the kind of democracy that doesn’t hold elections for local offices. There were supposed to be parliamentary elections, this month, but … yeah. There weren’t and there won’t be. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly legal because after the war with Russia started in February 2022, martial law was declared, and the Ukrainian Constitution doesn’t allow elections under martial law.

Ukraine is so democratic that it doesn’t even need to have presidential elections anymore. Martial law again. And who declared martial law? Why, it’s that sly rascal President Volodymyr Zelensky — make that President-for-Life Volodymyr Zelensky. We’re so dysfunctional here in the U.S. that House Republicans can’t agree with themselves who should be speaker of the House. But Ukraine is streamlined! The guy who would be running for reelection this spring won’t have to because he personally said so! That’s a very special democracy.

Under “martial law,” a term that no one has ever managed to define, Ukraine is a kind of democracy in which “conducting referendums, organizing strikes, and holding public demonstrations and other mass gatherings are prohibited.” Special!

President-for-Life Zelensky points out: “according to the (martial law) legislation, it is forbidden to hold elections.” Legislation that he signed unilaterally, of course. He is so committed to the rule of law that he refuses to unilaterally cancel a law that he unilaterally created in order to cancel the rule of law.

As everyone knows, you don’t need to hold elections to call yourself a democracy. Aside from martial law, there would be some big logistical challenges to holding an election right now. Like, Zelensky could lose! In the last poll of Ukrainians before the war, 53% of voters disapproved of his job performance and 38% approved.

Also, an election without other candidates and parties isn’t much fun. Ukraine has banned all left-wing parties, and also banned 11 other parties, including the biggest one, whose leader is under house arrest. Better not to bother.

Even if there were other parties and candidates to run against Zelensky, which there are not, they wouldn’t be able to campaign because “conducting referendums, organizing strikes, and holding public demonstrations and other mass gatherings are prohibited” under martial law. Who needs campaign rallies, because who would report about them anyway? His Excellency the president-for-life has imposed state censorship on newspapers, shuttered opposition websites and shut down all opposition TV outlets and consolidated them into his own state TV platform. He calls it a “unified information policy.” No more channel changing! Save on monthly subscriptions to media apps!

The U.S. spent over $14 billion on the 2020 election. Ukraine is a very efficient democracy. They’re spending nothing at all! We must defend this penny-pinching beacon of freedom.

Israel, I like to say, is “a safe, secure, Jewish, and democratic state.” OK, not that safe. But, like Ukraine, it’s a democracy. Israel is a very, very special kind of democracy.

In a democracy, the right to vote is one of the most fundamental privileges accorded to a citizen. The trouble is, sometimes people vote incorrectly. And in a democracy, all you need to do to be considered a citizen is to be born and live in the country.

To fix this problem, Israel has decided that only its very best people — the 9.6 million residents of Israel “proper” — can be citizens. The 2.4 million Palestinians in Gaza or the 2.7 million Palestinians in the West Bank are, as the vernacular goes, S.O.L. (The 500,000 Israeli settler-colonists squatting in the West Bank are, however, fully vested voters.)

Of the 9.6 million Israelis in Israel proper, 2.0 million are Israeli Arabs and 500,000 are neither Jewish nor Arab. If they and the West Bank settlers voted alongside their fellow 5.1 million Arabs in Gaza and the West Bank in a unified Israeli-Palestinian state, there would be 7.6 million Jews almost tied with 7.1 million Arabs.

Too much democracy.

On the other hand, 5.1 million Palestinian citizens of their own viable nation-state in a two-state scenario would present a different problem. The Republic of Palestine would have a seat at the United Nations, embassies and consulates all over the world, foreign news bureaus. Journalists and tourists could freely come and go. Palestinian citizens would talk. They’d complain, even about Israel. I mean, they do that now — but people might pay attention and — God forbid — care!

So Israel has an a la carte democracy. They lock the Palestinians away in Gaza and the West Bank, out of sight and out of mind, stateless and hopeless and voiceless, under Israeli occupation but without the right to vote. The Jewish “majority” of Israel enjoys the Middle East’s only thriving democracy.

Imagine how cool it would be if we could do that here! Turn the flyover “red” states into an occupied stateless concentration camp without voting rights. The remainder, the coastal “blue” states, would become a liberal paradise. No more Trumpies. Abortion rights — back. E-vehicle charging stations everywhere.

Israel has biggified democracy!

So, my fellow Americans, please join me in supporting Ukraine and Israel, these two very special, very expensive democracies.

While you’re still allowed.

• Agree 2

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." ~ Gen. Mark (Killer) Kimmitt

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/911_newpearlharbor.pdf

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/project.jsp?project=911_project

On 10/28/2023 at 6:59 AM, shiva2999 said:

https://www.unz.com/trall/ukraine-and-israel-are-very-special-democracies/

TED RALL • OCTOBER 27, 2023

Hi. Joe Biden here, asking for more money for Ukraine and Israel.

Many Americans are asking: Why, while millions of Americans are unemployed and getting evicted and starving and homeless, should we ignore our own people and send billions of dollars to foreign countries instead? The answer is: democracy. We have to defend democracy.

Ukraine and Israel aren’t just democracies. They’re special democracies.

Very special democracies.

Ukraine, for example, is the kind of democracy that doesn’t hold elections for local offices. There were supposed to be parliamentary elections, this month, but … yeah. There weren’t and there won’t be. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly legal because after the war with Russia started in February 2022, martial law was declared, and the Ukrainian Constitution doesn’t allow elections under martial law.

Ukraine is so democratic that it doesn’t even need to have presidential elections anymore. Martial law again. And who declared martial law? Why, it’s that sly rascal President Volodymyr Zelensky — make that President-for-Life Volodymyr Zelensky. We’re so dysfunctional here in the U.S. that House Republicans can’t agree with themselves who should be speaker of the House. But Ukraine is streamlined! The guy who would be running for reelection this spring won’t have to because he personally said so! That’s a very special democracy.

Under “martial law,” a term that no one has ever managed to define, Ukraine is a kind of democracy in which “conducting referendums, organizing strikes, and holding public demonstrations and other mass gatherings are prohibited.” Special!

President-for-Life Zelensky points out: “according to the (martial law) legislation, it is forbidden to hold elections.” Legislation that he signed unilaterally, of course. He is so committed to the rule of law that he refuses to unilaterally cancel a law that he unilaterally created in order to cancel the rule of law.

As everyone knows, you don’t need to hold elections to call yourself a democracy. Aside from martial law, there would be some big logistical challenges to holding an election right now. Like, Zelensky could lose! In the last poll of Ukrainians before the war, 53% of voters disapproved of his job performance and 38% approved.

Also, an election without other candidates and parties isn’t much fun. Ukraine has banned all left-wing parties, and also banned 11 other parties, including the biggest one, whose leader is under house arrest. Better not to bother.

Even if there were other parties and candidates to run against Zelensky, which there are not, they wouldn’t be able to campaign because “conducting referendums, organizing strikes, and holding public demonstrations and other mass gatherings are prohibited” under martial law. Who needs campaign rallies, because who would report about them anyway? His Excellency the president-for-life has imposed state censorship on newspapers, shuttered opposition websites and shut down all opposition TV outlets and consolidated them into his own state TV platform. He calls it a “unified information policy.” No more channel changing! Save on monthly subscriptions to media apps!

The U.S. spent over $14 billion on the 2020 election. Ukraine is a very efficient democracy. They’re spending nothing at all! We must defend this penny-pinching beacon of freedom.

Israel, I like to say, is “a safe, secure, Jewish, and democratic state.” OK, not that safe. But, like Ukraine, it’s a democracy. Israel is a very, very special kind of democracy.

In a democracy, the right to vote is one of the most fundamental privileges accorded to a citizen. The trouble is, sometimes people vote incorrectly. And in a democracy, all you need to do to be considered a citizen is to be born and live in the country.

To fix this problem, Israel has decided that only its very best people — the 9.6 million residents of Israel “proper” — can be citizens. The 2.4 million Palestinians in Gaza or the 2.7 million Palestinians in the West Bank are, as the vernacular goes, S.O.L. (The 500,000 Israeli settler-colonists squatting in the West Bank are, however, fully vested voters.)

Of the 9.6 million Israelis in Israel proper, 2.0 million are Israeli Arabs and 500,000 are neither Jewish nor Arab. If they and the West Bank settlers voted alongside their fellow 5.1 million Arabs in Gaza and the West Bank in a unified Israeli-Palestinian state, there would be 7.6 million Jews almost tied with 7.1 million Arabs.

Too much democracy.

On the other hand, 5.1 million Palestinian citizens of their own viable nation-state in a two-state scenario would present a different problem. The Republic of Palestine would have a seat at the United Nations, embassies and consulates all over the world, foreign news bureaus. Journalists and tourists could freely come and go. Palestinian citizens would talk. They’d complain, even about Israel. I mean, they do that now — but people might pay attention and — God forbid — care!

So Israel has an a la carte democracy. They lock the Palestinians away in Gaza and the West Bank, out of sight and out of mind, stateless and hopeless and voiceless, under Israeli occupation but without the right to vote. The Jewish “majority” of Israel enjoys the Middle East’s only thriving democracy.

Imagine how cool it would be if we could do that here! Turn the flyover “red” states into an occupied stateless concentration camp without voting rights. The remainder, the coastal “blue” states, would become a liberal paradise. No more Trumpies. Abortion rights — back. E-vehicle charging stations everywhere.

Israel has biggified democracy!

So, my fellow Americans, please join me in supporting Ukraine and Israel, these two very special, very expensive democracies.

While you’re still allowed.

7 minutes ago, RichJ said:

This is an unsubstantiated claim by the Israelis.

Nothing preventing it from being a complete fabrication.

• Like 1

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." ~ Gen. Mark (Killer) Kimmitt

3 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

This is an unsubstantiated claim by the Israelis.

Nothing preventing it from being a complete fabrication.

Hanging out with an idiot of a lawyer  proves you are clueless as to how this works  They make a claim and you have to prove they are lying.

Are you calling her husband and father liars? 

Any chance you have proof she is reconciled with them? Please debunk it. I dare you and hope you are right and that she is back with her family. Please. 

Ms. Vital-Kaploun, a 33-year-old Canadian citizen with ties to Ottawa, was shot in front of her two sons, four-year-old Negev and 4½-month-old Eshel, according to Dina Zaslacski, a family friend.

The family was told by the Israeli military that her body was then shoved under Negev’s bed and booby-trapped so it would explode whenever someone tried to pull her out, Ms. Zaslacski said.

“They put bombs all over her body and her dad was in the house. Thank God he didn’t open the door,” Ms. Zaslacski said, weeping as she spoke to The Globe and Mail.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/adi-vital-kaploun-israel-ottawa-canadian-killed-1.6993525

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-family-recounts-last-moments-before-canadian-womans-kidnapping-by/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichJ said:

Hanging out with an idiot of a lawyer  proves you are clueless as to how this works  They make a claim and you have to prove they are lying.

Are you calling her husband and father liars? 

Any chance you have proof she is reconciled with them? Please debunk it. I dare you and hope you are right and that she is back with her family. Please. 

Ms. Vital-Kaploun, a 33-year-old Canadian citizen with ties to Ottawa, was shot in front of her two sons, four-year-old Negev and 4½-month-old Eshel, according to Dina Zaslacski, a family friend.

The family was told by the Israeli military that her body was then shoved under Negev’s bed and booby-trapped so it would explode whenever someone tried to pull her out, Ms. Zaslacski said.

“They put bombs all over her body and her dad was in the house. Thank God he didn’t open the door,” Ms. Zaslacski said, weeping as she spoke to The Globe and Mail.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/adi-vital-kaploun-israel-ottawa-canadian-killed-1.6993525

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-family-recounts-last-moments-before-canadian-womans-kidnapping-by/

It doesn't fit his narrative so of course he questions the authenticity of his fellow country men and women. So sad... Where is the empathy.

5 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

It doesn't fit his narrative so of course he questions the authenticity of his fellow country men and women. So sad... Where is the empathy.

he may have his own sources that these claims are fake. 

8 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

I'm starting understand why his Jewish daughter had daddy issues. 

21 minutes ago, RichJ said:

Sorry, but claims are just that.

Claims. Anybody can make a claim about anything.

The fact is in both a debate and in a court of law is a little thing called the burden of proof.

You are making a claim just based on a story.

It is up to you to explain why we should take it seriously. You haven't.

Until you do I have no compunction to take you, or this story seriously.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichJ said:

Please debunk. I hope it is not true.

the fifth Canadian killed in the Israel-Hamas war says he jumped on a grenade to save his fiancé.

For fuck sake, do you not read the stuff you post?

Tell me, how could the boyfriend say fucking anything to the reporter AFTER HE WAS KILLED BY THE GRENADE?

Give your head a shake.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

The fact is in both a debate and in a court of law is a little thing called the burden of proof.

So the articles you post are just claims? Are you saying you may not truly believe what you say as the information you receive are just claims?

11 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

So the articles you post are just claims? 

Nope. I back up my claims.

For example, if I make a claim that the center of the moon is made of cream cheese, it is my obligation to explain WHY I believe it.

It is not your obligation to explain why it isn't unless I do.

2 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

Nope. I back up my claims.

For example, if I make a claim that the center of the moon is made of cream cheese, it is my obligation to explain WHY I believe it.

It is not your obligation to explain why it isn't unless I do.

It appears you may be having a medical episode. Please press your medical alert bracelet.

54 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

You can't debunk the story so you play the, "you have to prove its true " argument. 

Your Puttin  claims are also that. Just claims. Anyone can make claims that Puttin is real. Lol. 

44 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

So the articles you post are just claims? Are you saying you may not truly believe what you say as the information you receive are just claims?

Yup. His argument are as stupid as spikes poop pictures .

• Laugh 1

46 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

For fuck sake, do you not read the stuff you post?

Tell me, how could the boyfriend say fucking anything to the reporter AFTER HE WAS KILLED BY THE GRENADE?

Give your head a shake.

He didn't say he jumped on the grenade. Someone else made that claim . Hitting the bong fried your brain. 

30 minutes ago, RichJ said:

You can't debunk the story so you play the, "you have to prove its true " argument. 

Your Puttin  claims are also that. Just claims. Anyone can make claims that Puttin is real. Lol. 

1. I am not obligated to address a mere claim. If, for example, I claim you're a butt fucking homo without explaining WHY I made the claim you are not obligated to prove you aren't.

2. Huh? What "Putin claims" are you referring to?

36 minutes ago, RichJ said:

He didn't say he jumped on the grenade. Someone else made that claim . Hitting the bong fried your brain. 

You said this...

"the fifth Canadian killed in the Israel-Hamas war says he jumped on a grenade to save his fiancé."

So, now you're introducing a new character? Someone conveniently dead who was supposedly killed before he could be questioned about what he supposedly saw??

Gimme a fucking break.

10 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

1. I am not obligated to address a mere claim. If, for example, I claim you're a butt fucking homo without explaining WHY I made the claim you are not obligated to prove you aren't.

2. Huh? What "Putin claims" are you referring to?

So you claiming to be an assistant director is nothing but a claim . Your dependency on morphine because of what you claim was due to a sports injury. You could've been just a drug addict for all I know. Got it.

14 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

You said this...

"the fifth Canadian killed in the Israel-Hamas war says he jumped on a grenade to save his fiancé."

So, now you're introducing a new character? Someone conveniently dead who was supposedly killed before he could be questioned about what he supposedly saw??

Gimme a fucking break.

That's from the link Dumbo. Click on it and read the description. 

7 minutes ago, RichJ said:

So you claiming to be an assistant director is nothing but a claim .

Your dependency on morphine because of what you claim was due to a sports injury. You could've been just a drug addict for all I know. Got it.

1. It's more than a claim. It's published all over the Internet and in the credits of all my movies and TV shows. Commercials you'll just have to take my word for.

2. Could be, but I can't see a motive. If I was gonna get hooked on smack, I wouldn't have waited until I was 61 before I did it.