Jump to content

Jordan Phillips signs 1-year contract....


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

I would have rather he signed with another team for $3 million.

That would have given us a shot at a 2nd Comp Pick. 

I still think Beane drafts a DT fairly high in the draft.  Top 3 rounds.

Is it possibly less than $3 million but he can get there with bonuses if he meets the incentives?

Beane seemed very aware of the comp pick in his last interview and sounded determined to get it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, bcw said:

Is it possibly less than $3 million but he can get there with bonuses if he meets the incentives?

Beane seemed very aware of the comp pick in his last interview and sounded determined to get it.

CL isn't talking about us losing our 3rd rounder for Edmunds (the one Beane was referencing). He was talking about Jordan signing with another team, which, at $3 may have had a chance to earn us a second comp pick - a 7th rounder in 2024.

Having said that, as you noted, it's probably worth up to $3 mil. And I'm doubtful $3 mil will be enough to get us a 7th anyway the way the signings have gone so far. Right now the 32nd (maximum) pick has a guaranteed $3.25 mil, so even at $3 mil for Phillips we'd be on the outside looking in. Given the choice of signing a serviceable DT for $3 mil in 2023 who knows the coach, team and system, or having him sign for $3 mil elsewhere and hoping other players worth more don't pan out just so we might get a very late extra 7th in 2024, I'll take the signing. But that's just my two cents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He spent almost the entire 2022 season hurt. Some games it was obvious he still hurt and actually seemed like a liability. Hopefully he has a healthy 2023 year. If he has anything left on that tank he could be of great help along the line. I like this move. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Victor7 said:

He spent almost the entire 2022 season hurt. Some games it was obvious he still hurt and actually seemed like a liability. Hopefully he has a healthy 2023 year. If he has anything left on that tank he could be of great help along the line. I like this move. 

 

 

Beane is filling in all the cracks before the draft with this signing.

We all need Jordan to stay healthy, and he will then contribute as a rotational Dlineman.   We need those. 

I still see a DT early in the draft....depending on which one they like....and if he is available when we pick.   I would lean towards a bigger DT.   No more 285lbers.
Really need someone 310+. 

Draft signature.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

Beane is filling in all the cracks before the draft with this signing.

We all need Jordan to stay healthy, and he will then contribute as a rotational Dlineman.   We need those. 

I still see a DT early in the draft....depending on which one they like....and if he is available when we pick.   I would lean towards a bigger DT.   No more 285lbers.
Really need someone 310+. 

This. 

Enough of the Epenesas and Boogies of the world. 

  • Laugh 1
  • Like 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2023 at 2:11 PM, bcw said:

Is it possibly less than $3 million but he can get there with bonuses if he meets the incentives?

Beane seemed very aware of the comp pick in his last interview and sounded determined to get it.

not sure Phillips counts at all against Bills according to the bylaws of comp picks.

[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below. 

that's pretty clear he does not hurt Bills comp picks. He did not sign with a new club. He signed with the same club he was on just prior. And he was not signed or acquired from other club. 

now whether that is how they actually apply these murky rules remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

That word "aquire" is tricky also. Don't know why they threw that in there, or what that means. How do you acquire a FA without signing a FA ?? could acquire be if for ex: Ravens trade Lamar Jackson on the franchise tag, Lamar never signs the tag and holds out all year. He still counts as CFA gained?? even though he never signed but was acquired by a new team?? TF if i know.

 

The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL's Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

cba fan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

not sure Phillips counts at all against Bills according to the bylaws of comp picks.

[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below. 

that's pretty clear he does not hurt Bills comp picks. He did not sign with a new club. He signed with the same club he was on just prior. And he was not signed or acquired from other club. 

now whether that is how they actually apply these murky rules remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

That word "aquire" is tricky also. Don't know why they threw that in there, or what that means. How do you acquire a FA without signing a FA ?? could acquire be if for ex: Ravens trade Lamar Jackson on the franchise tag, Lamar never signs the tag and holds out all year. He still counts as CFA gained?? even though he never signed but was acquired by a new team?? TF if i know.

 

The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL's Compensatory Draft Picks | Over the Cap

Contrary to popular belief, you can't trade a tagged player unless he signs the tag. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not entirely against this signing.  When he is healthy he can get to the QB.  Signing him also means the Bills don't have to commit to building the D line in the draft.  If it were me, I'd work to trade down on Draft day and get some hogs (that means OL sean) and a linebacker in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless there is a weapon at WR at 27 then WR, OL, LB, OL is the first 4 picks and yeah I could be very happy with that.  Now they don't do that, you will be able to hear what my voice sounds like on your tv.  It will be from a lot closer to Liberty Memorial than the stage, but it will be my voice saying you stupid bastards if they again neglect the OL and receiver room on Draft day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Herodotus said:

I am not entirely against this signing.  When he is healthy he can get to the QB.  Signing him also means the Bills don't have to commit to building the D line in the draft.  If it were me, I'd work to trade down on Draft day and get some hogs (that means OL sean) and a linebacker in the 2nd and 3rd rounds unless there is a weapon at WR at 27 then WR, OL, LB, OL is the first 4 picks and yeah I could be very happy with that.  Now they don't do that, you will be able to hear what my voice sounds like on your tv.  It will be from a lot closer to Liberty Memorial than the stage, but it will be my voice saying you stupid bastards if they again neglect the OL and receiver room on Draft day

You are liking my Mock Draft more and more aren't you?

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...