Brandon Beane: Bengals have advantage of Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase on rookie contracts

drpepper

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane says one of the reasons it’s tough to keep pace with the Bengals is that Cincinnati has its best players on inexpensive rookie contracts, while Buffalo does not. “They right now are on the advantage of a rookie quarterback contract,” Beane said of Joe Burrow. “They had some lean years, [more]

View the full article

Hey Beane, if you knew how to draft studs, you could be doing this too!

Stop drafting mediocre guys!

Rousseau and Oliver should be dominating the line!

And if you can’t draft well, then trade your picks and get free agents. Stop wasting picks.

• Like 1

I agree with all of this.

Beane has had every opportunity to build a balanced team through the draft, but he's failed miserably.  Fuck him and McDermott too for their collective and perpetual arrogance.

I'm not saying they "should listen to the fans" even though the fans have had it right more than those two have,  but damn, shouldn't they at least listen to reason???

Such a disappointing press conference. 

Between these lame excuse and his "I dont wanna suck enough to draft a Chase" comment I don't know what was worse. Chiefs are in the Super Bowl Brandon. Are Mahomes and Kelsay on their rookie deals? Go fuck yourself. But before you go, please fire Frazier once and for all. 

• Like 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

1 hour ago, Buffalochief2 said:

This was his doing.  If we drafted Justin Jefferson instead of trading for Diggs we would have have had stud QB and WR on rookie contracts too.

That.   I disagree.   Diggs, along with his veteran experience, was what we needed for Josh.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, JS12 said:

Hey Beane, if you knew how to draft studs, you could be doing this too!

Stop drafting mediocre guys!

Rousseau and Oliver should be dominating the line!

And if you can’t draft well, then trade your picks and get free agents. Stop wasting picks.

Wow has your tune changed 

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

image.thumb.png.4134a4926c543dce608ca6c71a3016bd.png

Ok so how did my tune change you moron?

I did think we were winning the Super Bowl. I still think we can win the Super Bowl next year.

That doesn’t change the fact that Beane missed on several picks. If you actually knew how to read, you would see that I’ve been critical of Beane and McD in the past. I actually don’t like McD at all. I think Beane is solid, but not the greatest at drafting.

The fact remains, if Beane hit on all of these picks we’d probably have the ring by now. Doesn’t mean we still can’t get one. I still think we can. But he’s wasted picks.

Where did you and this Mixum guy come from?

I’d love to meet the two of you in real life…actually, no I wouldn’t.

9 hours ago, JS12 said:

Ok so how did my tune change you moron?

I did think we were winning the Super Bowl. I still think we can win the Super Bowl next year.

That doesn’t change the fact that Beane missed on several picks. If you actually knew how to read, you would see that I’ve been critical of Beane and McD in the past. I actually don’t like McD at all. I think Beane is solid, but not the greatest at drafting.

The fact remains, if Beane hit on all of these picks we’d probably have the ring by now. Doesn’t mean we still can’t get one. I still think we can. But he’s wasted picks.

Where did you and this Mixum guy come from?

I’d love to meet the two of you in real life…actually, no I wouldn’t.

Can they win the SB next year? Absolutely!  You have the biggest piece of the puzzle already, a Franchise QB. But, as I see it they need three things. 1) To drastically improve the offensive  line. As most here know, I was critical of the O line going into the draft last year. You had only replaced one aging washed up guard with another as far as I was concerned in the off-season and considered the whole thing fixed. Spencer Brown was still getting beaten off the line, Allen was still running for his life after the snap. They need a minimum of two GOOD O-lineman added. In a perfect world I’d love to see 3 and Bates becoming the top guy off the bench, but that’s probably not happening. 2) More than one consistent option on offense. Today’s defenses are good at shutting down one thing. The blueprint on playing the Bills is out. You need a plan B. 3)Better in game coaching. Blunders like 13 seconds can’t happen. Fix those issues and we are a contender again. But, be ready. Because, when it becomes obvious to me the Bills are going to fall short of expectations, I’m going to say something and people like you will get triggered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuke said:

Can they win the SB next year? Absolutely!  You have the biggest piece of the puzzle already, a Franchise QB. But, as I see it they need three things. 1) To drastically improve the offensive  line. As most here know, I was critical of the O line going into the draft last year. You had only replaced one aging washed up guard with another as far as I was concerned in the off-season and considered the whole thing fixed. Spencer Brown was still getting beaten off the line, Allen was still running for his life after the snap. They need a minimum of two GOOD O-lineman added. In a perfect world I’d love to see 3 and Bates becoming the top guy off the bench, but that’s probably not happening. 2) More than one consistent option on offense. Today’s defenses are good at shutting down one thing. The blueprint on playing the Bills is out. You need a plan B. 3)Better in game coaching. Blunders like 13 seconds can’t happen. Fix those issues and we are a contender again. But, be ready. Because, when it becomes obvious to me the Bills are going to fall short of expectations, I’m going to say something and people like you will get triggered.

I’ll agree with all of this. Beane should be able to get those guys in here. I don’t see why not.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to McD.  Can our talent outweigh the fact that he’s a terrible in game coach? I thought we could do it this year. I was wrong. We need a little more talent perhaps. But even then, a bad coach is difficult to overcome, although not impossible. Josh will have us in the conversation every year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

This is all accurate.   But executing and accomplishing those improvements/goals are going to be very hard.

Yes, I agree, we need a minimum of 2 new, maybe 3 offensive linemen.   And to clarify, GOOD O-linemen.  Not 3 Bobby Harts.
This is hard to do unless you have a ton of open, free Cap Space to get them in Free Agency.   The draft is an option, but more of a roll of the dice.
I want this to happen, but am skeptical Beane can pull it off.  Although, he definitely needs to draft Oline.  We could get lucky.

Another "weapon" for Josh.   Sure, we all want that.  But how?  Where?    If we were picking 10th in the draft, easy, get one of the top 3 WRs.  However, picking 27th, they will be all gone.   Projections are the top 4 WRs will be gone by pick 27.   So then it gets more roll of the dice. (Zay Flowers or Parker Washington in 2nd?)
And we certainly don't have the Cap to get a top option in Free Agency.   So I would say this is a long shot.

Better in game coaching.  I don't know how you fix this.  If McDermott sticks with Leslie Frazier and Ken Dorsey, I don't think anything changes.

• Like 2

OLine 2023 Draft Prospects                     Free Agent Targets

O'Cyrus Torrence, 6'5" 345lbs                OG Evan Brown, Lions
Darnell Wright, 6'6", 335lbs                      OG Will Hernandez, Cardinals
John M Schmitz, 6'4", 320lbs                   WR Parris Campbell, Colts
Cody Mauch, 6'5" 305lbs                          SAF Nasir Adderley, Chargers
Matthew Bergeron, 6'5" 323lbs

20 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

This is all accurate.   But executing and accomplishing those improvements/goals are going to be very hard.

Yes, I agree, we need a minimum of 2 new, maybe 3 offensive linemen.   And to clarify, GOOD O-linemen.  Not 3 Bobby Harts.
This is hard to do unless you have a ton of open, free Cap Space to get them in Free Agency.   The draft is an option, but more of a roll of the dice.
I want this to happen, but am skeptical Beane can pull it off.  Although, he definitely needs to draft Oline.  We could get lucky.

Another "weapon" for Josh.   Sure, we all want that.  But how?  Where?    If we were picking 10th in the draft, easy, get one of the top 3 WRs.  However, picking 27th, they will be all gone.   Projections are the top 4 WRs will be gone by pick 27.   So then it gets more roll of the dice. (Zay Flowers or Parker Washington in 2nd?)
And we certainly don't have the Cap to get a top option in Free Agency.   So I would say this is a long shot.

Better in game coaching.  I don't know how you fix this.  If McDermott sticks with Leslie Frazier and Ken Dorsey, I don't think anything changes.

There might be hope with Dorsey. He was a rookie. For all we know he'll learn from his mistakes. But Frazier? The man has been around long enough and yet refuses to change. Its always the same defense. Always the same results. So frustrating that we are doing nothing in that regard despite numerous failures. 

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

26 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

Stud 2nd round  WRs happen. Jarvis Landry, Jordy Nelson, Michael Thomas. Hell, Stefon was a 5th. To tell you the truth, I have more faith in Beane to find one in the 5th then early with his track record 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

Stud 2nd round  WRs happen. Jarvis Landry, Jordy Nelson, Michael Thomas. Hell, Stefon was a 5th. To tell you the truth, I have more faith in Beane to find one in the 5th then early with his track record 

It is absolutely true it is possible to find a good WR in the 2nd round (although Jordy Nelson was like pick 34, so almost 1st round).

However, you can miss in the 2nd.  Alas, this is where the magic/luck of the draft comes into play.

IF, IF Beane wants a WR in this draft, and wants to increase his odds, he should trade BACK from pick 27.   Maybe to 35-38th area, and then draft WR Zay Flowers.

OrJalin Hyatt, or even maybe Parker Washington.    

Why the trade back?   If you are burning your first pick on a WR, you have not addressed the OFFENSIVE LINE, which IMO is more critical than WR.   Josh tearing his UCL because Spencer Brown O'lays a pass rusher right to Josh, won't matter who is open down field. 

With an extra pick or 2, you can take a swing at an Offensive Linemen at pick 58.    And then have some picks to go after Safety, probably two, in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

But, Beane needs to hit on some of these picks.   If he drafts a WR that turns out to be as good (not as good?) as Epenesa, Boogie, Elam or Rousseau, fans won't be happy.  Fans want Jerry Rice, not another Gabe Davis. 

OLine 2023 Draft Prospects                     Free Agent Targets

O'Cyrus Torrence, 6'5" 345lbs                OG Evan Brown, Lions
Darnell Wright, 6'6", 335lbs                      OG Will Hernandez, Cardinals
John M Schmitz, 6'4", 320lbs                   WR Parris Campbell, Colts
Cody Mauch, 6'5" 305lbs                          SAF Nasir Adderley, Chargers
Matthew Bergeron, 6'5" 323lbs