On Another Note - Resiliency

HipKat

The 2022 season was unlike any season due to the adversity the team faced—losing Dawson Knox's brother, several season-ending injuries, three road games in 12 days, a game moved because of a snowstorm, being stuck in Chicago on Christmas Eve because of a second snowstorm and Damar Hamlin's situation. Teams might not even face a few of those things in an entire season, but the Bills experienced it all. Through each hardship, the team stayed together and kept pushing.

Losing in the divisional round wasn't the outcome anyone wanted but as the team heads into the offseason, they are proud of the way they handled the adversity.

"The weather issues, the injuries, just a lot of things that happened this year and to see these guys really keep fighting, keep coming to work, keep being positive, keep getting up in the morning, which is hard to do when the weather's bad, it's snowing," safety Micah Hyde said. "To see all that, I learned a lot about my teammates and I'm very, very proud of the players, the coaches, this organization."

"We went through a lot this year," running back Devin Singletary noted. "We could have easily just laid down early on and went our separate ways, but we banded together. Really, we're some fighters. That's the best way to put it. We're some fighters."

Knox, who lost his younger brother during the season, felt like the team really helped him get through it all.

"After losing my brother earlier, or I guess last year now, just having that support system of this staff, these coaches, and these players around me just to be there to have my back and lift me off in the hard times," Knox explained. "Something that I can't overstate my gratitude for, so definitely thankful for everybody here."

In the hardest moments of the year, many players realized the character of men they had standing beside them.

"It was so many different things that made me feel proud to be a Buffalo Bill and made me feel proud to be a part of this community," linebacker Von Miller said. "So this adversity that was presented, I've always been a fan of adversity reveals character and we have some high character guys in this locker room. Not only in a locker room, but in the front office in this community. And it's just an honor and a privilege to be associated with the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park and the city of Buffalo."

Battling adversity throughout the season arguably resulted in a low gas tank up and down the roster. After the emotion-filled season they had, the energy that the team had at the beginning of the season ultimately stalled throughout the course of Sunday's game.

"It was emotionally draining for obvious reasons, you guys all saw that," OL Rodger Saffold said. "I just kind of feel like we were tired. Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could to try to modify the week to get us back to stuff. But it was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening. So, I have to kind of put that into a factor, not as an excuse. This team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all this adversity, you run out of gas at some point."

The Bills fought all year long through a season that consisted of injuries, Buffalo winter weather issues, tragedies in the community, and a scary situation involving their own teammate. But any one of them will tell you that while the emotional toll may have caught up to them, it's not an excuse for why their season ended earlier than they were anticipating.

"It's not an excuse because I don't even know how you run out of gas. It's the playoffs. It's win or go home," WR Isaiah McKenzie said. "I felt like yesterday, it could have been the weather, it could have been all type of stuff … But I don't think we ran out of emotion, fuel, or whatever you call it. I just feel like we just lost, that's what it was. We played a very good team."

But despite not getting the outcome they were hoping for, the team is finding a silver lining in the way they persevered and came together as a team through this roller-coaster of a season.

"Guys just continued to fight and fight and a lot of it motivated us and just at the end we just ran out of gas," Hyde said. "A lot of things that happened this year and to see these guys really keep fighting, keep coming to work, keep being positive, keep getting up in the morning, which is hard to do when the weather's bad, it's snowing. To see all that, I learned a lot about my teammates and I'm very, very proud of the players, the coaches, this organization from the cafeteria ladies, the janitors, just everybody having a positive mindset in this building each and every day and that's something I've definitely cherished for the rest of my life."

Continued at BuffaloBills.com

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Just now, Herodotus said:

Wrong part of the forum @HipKat, you want football.  This is argument and abuse

Oops. If I was MOD, I could just move it! lol

2 hours ago, IrishLass said:

We could argue over whether the vax got Luke Knox.

And Hamlin.

But we cannot argue about how fucking dumb you are because there is no argument. You’re just fucking dumb BTW, what did you think of the Sabres game last night?

• Downvote 1

Seems like every year, we as fans, have to face adversity of some form with this team. Some worse than others, but adversity just the same.

If I'm in the playoffs with a chance to go to the Super bowl, and I'm playing one game week, no way in hell am I going to be tired. I will be pumped and ready to play. They can sleep after their humiliating defeat.

23 minutes ago, Victor7 said:

Moved your majesty @HipKat

Sorry I didn't get to it sooner my lord. 

Apologies your highness. 

May this injustice never be repeated. 

Sheesh

Proper respect appreciated!