Sean McDermott: I’m not going to get into staff right now

drpepper

The Bills’ 2022 season came to a disappointing end with Sunday’s 27-10 loss to the Bengals in the divisional round. When a team has sky-high expectations like Buffalo did and comes up short, there’s always the chance that the club could undergo some significant changes on the coaching staff. But head coach Sean McDermott didn’t [more]

View the full article

The Bills’ 2022 season came to a disappointing end with Sunday’s 27-10 loss to the Bengals in the divisional round.

When a team has sky-high expectations like Buffalo did and comes up short, there’s always the chance that the club could undergo some significant changes on the coaching staff.

But head coach Sean McDermott didn’t want to address the status of either his offensive or defensive coordinator in his Monday press conference.

“I’m not going to get into staff right now. Obviously, not even 24 hours past yesterday’s game,” McDermott said.

McDermott was separately asked about Ken Dorsey, who just finished his first year as the team’s offensive coordinator after Brian Daboll.

“There’s a first year for everyone, and I thought Dorsey really did some good things, and there’s some things that he can learn from as well,” McDermott said. “I know this, when you’re committed to a cause and you work hard at things, and you put the team first, you learn from experiences. So, like all of us, we have to learn from experience.”

The Bills finished No. 2 in total yards and No. 2 in points scored in 2022. The club also was No. 2 in points allowed and No. 6 in total defense in its sixth year under coordinator Leslie Frazier.

With those numbers, McDermott moving on from either would be a bit of a surprise. But because McDermott left the door open to staff changes, they may be coming.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Just now, HipKat said:

“There’s a first year for everyone, and I thought Dorsey really did some good things, and there’s some things that he can learn from as well,” McDermott said. “I know this, when you’re committed to a cause and you work hard at things, and you put the team first, you learn from experiences. So, like all of us, we have to learn from experience.”

No! Wrong answer! Bullshit. Doresy is a fucking clown who has NO BUSINESS in that job. Game 1, he looked competent and NEVER did again the rest of the season.

Fire his ass tomorrow!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HipKat said:

No! Wrong answer! Bullshit. Doresy is a fucking clown who has NO BUSINESS in that job. Game 1, he looked competent and NEVER did again the rest of the season.

Fire his ass tomorrow!

As much as I hated the promotion of Dorsey (wasn't ready), Frasier needs to be the 1st one gone. But who do they bring in? I mean we've seen their hiring process. And who is to say that McDermott didn't have his hand in the defensive schemes, and is just as much to blame as Frasier? He is a defensive guy (supposedly).

4 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

As much as I hated the promotion of Dorsey (wasn't ready), Frasier needs to be the 1st one gone. But who do they bring in? I mean we've seen their hiring process. And who is to say that McDermott didn't have his hand in the defensive schemes, and is just as much to blame as Frasier? He is a defensive guy (supposedly).

That's just it. Frazier HAS managed to have a defense that ranks near the top for most of the season consistently. And now, Offensive minded coaches are going to be HEAVILY in demand

4 minutes ago, HipKat said:

That's just it. Frazier HAS managed to have a defense that ranks near the top for most of the season consistently. And now, Offensive minded coaches are going to be HEAVILY in demand

Personally, I think that's misleading. And judging by yesterdays game (and others), I'm pretty sure it is. The problem I will have with all of this, is if we find out that McDermott played a bigger role in the defensive schemes. If so, then he needs to be gone as well. And to be honest, I'm not so sure he shouldn't be.

4 minutes ago, Thebowflexbody said:

Dorsey ain't your problem any more than Daboll was.  Remember when everyone here slammed Daboll?

I'd like to see an offensive coordinator with a resume, to help get the mega-multi-million dollar QB  to a super bowl. At the moment, Allen seems to be surrounded by passengers from the short bus.

• Laugh 1

32 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

Personally, I think that's misleading. And judging by yesterdays game (and others), I'm pretty sure it is. The problem I will have with all of this, is if we find out that McDermott played a bigger role in the defensive schemes. If so, then he needs to be gone as well. And to be honest, I'm not so sure he shouldn't be.

Maybe. It's too soon to make those calls. Emotions are high. 

Of course I said the same thing last year but it was LIT who was calling for heads to roll

17 minutes ago, HipKat said:

Of course I said the same thing last year but it was LIT who was calling for heads to roll

Should have happened at halftime yesterday, couldn't have been any worse than how it turned out. Should have just let Josh call the plays like the qb's used to do. No need for culture preaching dimwits.

58 minutes ago, HipKat said:

Emotions were high after the Houston debacle, after KC round 1, KC round 2 and now yesterday. And that's not including the regular season games they just let get away. I'm just tired

1 minute ago, jamsim67 said:

Emotions were high after the Houston debacle, after KC round 1, KC round 2 and now yesterday. And that's not including the regular season games they just let get away. I'm just tired

I can forgive the losses we had this season.  Every team has inexpicable regular season losses.  Chiefs lost to the colts, bengals and us for fuck sake.  What I can't understand is how we looked completely lost twice against Cincy.  I mean in part I can, Cincy is the best team in the conference and they have been my pick for AFC champ for a while now because they do what great teams do.  They are physical, they run (now there's a concept), they pass, and they have an underrated and very physcial defense.  When teams play them, they know they better bring it for 60 minutes to have a chance.  Us? "Sometimes you get tired." Fuck that shit, you are tired in the fucking playoffs?  The playoffs? You aren't motivated to all but die, if the need should arise, to get into the Superbowl?  WTF?!?!?! I can understand having a game in the regular season, hell even the Chiefs did that, see Indy and Houston.  Fuck, Cincy lost to the Steelers I think.  It happens in the regular season.  What I can't understand about the Bungles is that we didn't learn from the first game.  I mean come the fuck on, I know it was no contest, butt fuck there was still a quarter's worth of game footage from that one that you should have studied because sure enough the Bungles did more of what they did in that game.  They analyzed every flaw in our game, and they exploited it.  Our coaches had their fingers shoved up their asses and our players were tired.  Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.  I am back to hating this team and that's not good.  I thought this team would finally play with heart.  I could forgive them (I know some of you couldn't and that's fine) if they lost like 38-35 where a desperation heave by Josh was batted down or picked off because at least I could say they literally did everything they could.  Losing yesterday like that? Fuck, it shows that there are glaring problems.  I am in year four of my fire Frazier campaign and sadly if it gets to year five its going to be just one more wasted season.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

I can forgive the losses we had this season.  Every team has inexpicable regular season losses.  Chiefs lost to the colts, bengals and us for fuck sake.  What I can't understand is how we looked completely lost twice against Cincy.  I mean in part I can, Cincy is the best team in the conference and they have been my pick for AFC champ for a while now because they do what great teams do.  They are physical, they run (now there's a concept), they pass, and they have an underrated and very physcial defense.  When teams play them, they know they better bring it for 60 minutes to have a chance.  Us? "Sometimes you get tired." Fuck that shit, you are tired in the fucking playoffs?  The playoffs? You aren't motivated to all but die, if the need should arise, to get into the Superbowl?  WTF?!?!?! I can understand having a game in the regular season, hell even the Chiefs did that, see Indy and Houston.  Fuck, Cincy lost to the Steelers I think.  It happens in the regular season.  What I can't understand about the Bungles is that we didn't learn from the first game.  I mean come the fuck on, I know it was no contest, butt fuck there was still a quarter's worth of game footage from that one that you should have studied because sure enough the Bungles did more of what they did in that game.  They analyzed every flaw in our game, and they exploited it.  Our coaches had their fingers shoved up their asses and our players were tired.  Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.  I am back to hating this team and that's not good.  I thought this team would finally play with heart.  I could forgive them (I know some of you couldn't and that's fine) if they lost like 38-35 where a desperation heave by Josh was batted down or picked off because at least I could say they literally did everything they could.  Losing yesterday like that? Fuck, it shows that there are glaring problems.  I am in year four of my fire Frazier campaign and sadly if it gets to year five its going to be just one more wasted season.  

I could forgive a loss, if they show up to play. I can't forgive rolling over and saying we give up, you go on ahead to KC. I said this before, but I think it bares repeating, to me, yesterdays game had the look of a heavyweight fighter taking a dive. You're not going to beat anybody when your defense is lined up ten yards off the line of scrimmage. That was the way they played KC round one. Soft prevent for four quarters.

As for Frasier, I agree. If he is brought back, that's just telling the fans that winning a Super Bowl isn't high on their bucket list. And if it's not high on their bucket list, why am I wasting my time supporting them? Plenty of other things I could be doing.

if McDermott leaves, I won't shed a tear for him either. he never says the right thing. Never.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

I could forgive a loss, if they show up to play. I can't forgive rolling over and saying we give up, you go on ahead to KC. I said this before, but I think it bares repeating, to me, yesterdays game had the look of a heavyweight fighter taking a dive. You're not going to beat anybody when your defense is lined up ten yards off the line of scrimmage. That was the way they played KC round one. Soft prevent for four quarters.

As for Frasier, I agree. If he is brought back, that's just telling the fans that winning a Super Bowl isn't high on their bucket list. And if it's not high on their bucket list, why am I wasting my time supporting them? Plenty of other things I could be doing.

if McDermott leaves, I won't shed a tear for him either. he never says the right thing. Never.

I would let McD have to the end of his contract because getting the team to be a consistent winner earns him that.  There is a caveat.  He has to fire Frazier and Dorsey and do something to build an offense, that means a line, receivers, running back, so that Josh doesn't get sacked 15 times in two games.  If he agrees to that, I don't see a problem keeping him to 2025.  He doesn't? As risky as it is, fire his ass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herodotus said:

you didn't include Frazier

Because replacing two Coordinators is basically impossible

I tried to hold back, breathe slowly and NOT react with impulse however...

(1) Frazier has to go.  I don't give a flying fuck what the D's stats were during the season.  This is the second (if NOT third year) that the Bills season ended in the play-offs due to his incompetent defensive schemes.  Given the vast disproportionate investment in salary cap and high draft pick into our Defence, we must expect better results.  Leslie Frazier is NOT getting the job done.  As simple as that.  Perhaps FRAZIER can find a position as the night time manager of the Dairy Queen in Buttfuck, Ill since they sell BRAZIER food.

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

(2) Assuming Kim Pegula is ever found, given she is the President of the Buffalo Bills and was the one that hired Sean McD before Beane was hired, Kim needs to fire Sean McD.  As many of us suspected, Sean McD is incapable of winning the BIG game and in the Play-offs the games are all BIG.  He simple chokes or falls back to his inner ultra conservative nature.  We have overly invested on the D side of the ball because he is there to pound the table before the Draft or Free Agency and despite that fact we are NOT winning BECAUSE OF THE DEFENCE when we now have a franchise QB.  Sean McD must be fired.

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

(3) I would give Beane another 2 years to get this ring with a new Head Coach of his choosing.  His hands must NOT be tied in the search for the Head Coach he wants.  If it cost $50M over 5 years to get the Head Coach he wants, then the Pegulas need to pay it.  Beane has accumulated enough talent on this team that it should win it all.  Beane does need to learn how to build an OL and he needs to NOT draft a defensive player in the first two rounds for the next 2 years.

They better fire Frazier. He sucks. His defense sucks and whenever they play against a good team with a good offense they get exposed as frauds. Burrow could lead a drive for a TD against Frazier's defense while being drunk. 

• Like 2