Film Prof Shiva's master class

shiva2999

Among other things I've done in my life, I do have a degree in Film History and as a guy that loves the movies who's reading Quentin Tarantino's new book, I thought, what with so many great old movies popping up on YouTube I'd start a thread where I could pack them all for future reference.

I will only use films available in their entirety.

I open with the 1930 Howard Hughes epic ww1 movie, Hells Angels.

I first saw this in a university field trip to Eastman Kodak Museum in Rochester in 1970, where it had been the only place for decades where it could be seen for legal reasons.

It's an astonishing film and one of the first talkies.

All the stunt flying is real.

The first clip is the trailer, the second the full film.

Hope you enjoy it. For those who wish to know more I'm sure there's a big Wikipedia article about it.

• Like 2

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." ~ Gen. Mark (Killer) Kimmitt

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/911_newpearlharbor.pdf

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/project.jsp?project=911_project

25 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

Among other things I've done in my life, I do have a degree in Film History and as a guy that loves the movies who's reading Quentin Tarantino's new book, I thought, what with so many great old movies popping up on YouTube I'd start a thread where I could pack them all for future reference.

I will only use films available in their entirety.

I open with the 1930 Howard Hughes epic ww1 movie, Hells Angels.

I first saw this in a university field trip to Eastman Kodak Museum in Rochester in 1970, where it had been the only place for decades where it could be seen for legal reasons.

It's an astonishing film and one of the first talkies.

All the stunt flying is real.

The first clip is the trailer, the second the full film.

Hope you enjoy it. For those who wish to know more I'm sure there's a big Wikipedia article about it.

That is one of my favorite movies.  Oh sure the dialogue is clunky and the acting is very stilted, but what wins the day is the aerial combat scenes.  Hot damn when the zeppelin emerges from the cloud bank, just just just wow. The dogfights later in the film? Beautiful.  The intertitles from when it was a silent being reused as subtitles for when German is spoken? Yeah, it holds up very well for a 93 year old film.  Again the aerial scenes are better than any cgi.  Just wow.  

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! I disagree that a movie that cost $4 million back in the 1920's/30's would've cost $20 million today. U.S. dollar has lost 94 percent of its value since 1930. So closer to $90-100 million.

Loved the hoity toity Faux British accents the announcers of the day used to use! As did many of the actors.

Odd how Hughes descended into a shell of himself in his latter years.

Honestly CGI these days (particularly Marvel type movies) just bores me because it feels so fake. Ironic because it's supposed to feel 'more real,' but to me it doesn't. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IrishLass said:

Thanks for posting this! I disagree that a movie that cost $4 million back in the 1920's/30's would've cost $20 million today. U.S. dollar has lost 94 percent of its value since 1930. So closer to $90-100 million.

Loved the hoity toity Faux British accents the announcers of the day used to use! As did many of the actors.

Odd how Hughes descended into a shell of himself in his latter years.

Honestly CGI these days (particularly Marvel type movies) just bores me because it feels so fake. Ironic because it's supposed to feel 'more real,' but to me it doesn't. 

That wasn't a British accent. That was mid Atlantic accent.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent

1 hour ago, shiva2999 said:

A classic anti-war film - Gary Cooper as "Sgt York"...

That is a classic film, a very good film at that, but that film is very much pro war, or at least its okay to have misgivings (religious and otherwise) about war, but only by serving in the army can you defend those misgivings because the guys you'll be fighting (Nazis in particular) have no conscience.

23 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

That is a classic film, a very good film at that, but that film is very much pro war, or at least its okay to have misgivings (religious and otherwise) about war, but only by serving in the army can you defend those misgivings because the guys you'll be fighting (Nazis in particular) have no conscience.

I didn't get a warmonger vibe from Sgt York.

Plus it was fight or die.

Not much of a choice.

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." ~ Gen. Mark (Killer) Kimmitt

26 minutes ago, shiva2999 said:

I didn't get a warmonger vibe from Sgt York.

Plus it was fight or die.

Not much of a choice.

That's what made it such a great propaganda film.  It was very subtle.  The point, if I saw it right, was that York was a pacifist but it was okay to fight because render to Caeser. . . .  To be a good citizen one must fight when called to duty.  So very subtle propaganda but that is the best propaganda.

10 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

That's what made it such a great propaganda film.  It was very subtle.  The point, if I saw it right, was that York was a pacifist but it was okay to fight because render to Caeser. . . .  To be a good citizen one must fight when called to duty.  So very subtle propaganda but that is the best propaganda.

I took the rahman rahman stuff as irony.

And as far as I'm concerned, I like films where the hero is presented with choices about how to act when however you decide will bring negative consequences as well as the good.

The best heroes aren't perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herodotus said:

That wasn't a British accent. That was mid Atlantic accent.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent

Yes I didn't want to explain that.

The Mid-Atlantic accent, or Transatlantic accent,[1][2][3] is a consciously learned spoken English accent. It was in fashion among the late 19th-century and early 20th-century American upper class, and by performers in the entertainment industry. The Mid-Atlantic accent blended spoken features that were regarded as prestigious from both American and British English (specifically Received Pronunciation). It is not a native or regional accent; rather, according to voice and drama professor Dudley Knight, "its earliest advocates bragged that its chief quality was that no Americans actually spoke it unless educated to do so".[4] The accent was embraced in private independent preparatory schools, especially by members of the American Northeastern upper class, as well as in schools for film and stage acting,[5] with its overall use sharply declining after the Second World War.[

Can't believe I left off this last bit about CANADA no less!  A similar accent that resulted from different historical processes, Canadian dainty, was also known in Canada, existing for a century before waning in the 1950s.[7] More recently, the term "mid-Atlantic accent" can also refer to any accent with a perceived mixture of American and British characteristics.[

• Like 1

War scenes that had an effect on me were in Apocalypse Now, where an American patrol boat stops a Vietnamese boat to inspect it (for vc guns/supplies) and a girl lunges, and the gunner (Clean) flinches, and kills the whole boat family. She was reaching out to protect a puppy….

and, in Platoon, where the character Bunny (Kevin Dillon) fucks with that old farmer, making him dance….pissed me off.

there are more, but slip my mind.

I was thinking about a movie I saw when I was a kid. I couldn’t think of the name until I looked for it.

it is called 5 Branded Women. Women who were caught between two fighting forces and were shamed for helping the enemy and had their heads shaved. It was a little intense for my young brain, maybe that’s why it stands out. Anyone remember that one?

Now, the ultimate in Soviet propaganda films relating to the Stalin Cult are Lenin in October:

The vow

and Fall of Berlin

Now you say no hero is perfect, well imagine how you'd feel if you knew nothing of Stalin and watched these on the big screen at the local house of culture (normally a former church) where they held movies, concerts, ballet, plays, and party meetings.

4 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

Oh and shiva, do you know of a good video downloading software so I can copy a couple of these films offline because I know Youtube would love to make them vanish down the memory hole never to be seen again.

Got me there...