Kelly or Allen

wilson

There’s an article in the athletic asking who’s Buffalo’s GOAT.   I couldn’t read it but it’s definitely a loaded question. I’m sure it will be posted soon.   JA hasn’t nearly earned Jimbos spot as Buffaloes goat but if it came down to one game.  If I needed one win I’d have to go with JA… I feel bad for even writing it as JK was the man. He graduated just a few yrs before me so that entire team was around my age.  Even tho they lost 4 straight I’d die with them again.  I loved that team

• Like 1

I was thinking about this the other day…the one big difference so far is that Allen doesn’t have a a guy anywhere like Thurman Thomas. Not sure what Kelly would look like if he had a shit run game. But yeah those super bowl teams were so fucking dominate. The regular season was such a formality that seemed like the season didn’t really start until the playoffs. This season has reminded me that time. Just wish we had another weapon like Kelly did. 

• Like 1

F5C9EAAC-C339-4CCE-A45C-3316E9597675.jpeg

Has Josh Allen surpassed Jim Kelly as Bills GOAT? Is a Norris Trophy in Rasmus Dahlin’s future?

Autumn has been enchanting for Buffalo sports fans.

The Bills are Super Bowl favorites. The Sabres look — at the very least — like they’ll be fun to watch.

It’s refreshing to dig into The Satchel and find so many hopeful questions about both teams for a change.

As a 54-year-old old fan, I never thought I would be able to say that another quarterback would replace Jim Kelly as the Buffalo GOAT, but Josh Allen is unbelievable. Has he already passed him on your list? — Rick C.

Comparing the two is difficult. Jim Kelly went to four straight Super Bowls and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. Josh Allen is 26 years old and has been selected to a single Pro Bowl.

Allen has been more explosive statistically, but the NFL has evolved over the past 30 years into a game that rewards passing. Rules get increasingly tighter against defensive backs and pass rushers, opening up an aerial game not so emphasized Kelly’s day. Concepts considered revolutionary back then are ordinary now.

All that said, I believe Allen is even more of a total package. Yes, it’s pretty badass to have a quarterback with a linebacker mentality, as fans used to crow about Kelly.

How about a quarterback with a linebacker’s body and who runs like a fullback?

Allen is all kinds of special.

Even with Kelly getting a few extra years to mature in the USFL and with Allen starting out as a 22-year-old from a mid-major university, Allen has posted better per-game stats, averaging 18.5 more passing yards, 0.3 more touchdowns and 0.4 fewer interceptions than Kelly did.

The numbers are even more lopsided in the postseason, where Allen averages 59.1 more passing yards, 1.1 more touchdowns and 1.4 fewer interceptions.

Allen has the highest passer rating in Bills history, and that formula doesn’t take into account how he runs. Kelly couldn’t dream of scrambling like that.

Allen is the first NFL quarterback to amass at least 120 touchdown passes and 30 touchdown runs through his first five seasons. And there are 11 games to go.

He has only 163 fewer yards than Marshawn Lynch did over his three and a half seasons with Buffalo.

When taking eras into account, their supporting casts give Allen the edge. Kelly played with Hall of Fame tailback Thurman Thomas, Hall of Fame receivers Andre Reed and James Lofton and Bills Wall of Fame offensive linemen Kent Hull and Jim Ritcher.

Allen does have an elite receiver in Stefon Diggs, but the other targets often have been interchangeable, with Gabriel Davis and tight end Dawson Knox being the most reliable.

The biggest difference is how Allen has needed to be his own Thurman Thomas so far.

Allen isn’t a Hall of Famer yet, not nearly. Longevity and sustained success are crucial to earning that honor. But if I needed to win one game and had to choose between them, then I’m taking Allen.

If Dominik Hasek played for these Sabres in his prime and Jim Kelly played in his prime for these Bills, which team would be more likely to win a title in the next few years? — James M.

I don’t think the current Bills would be as good with Kelly at quarterback simply because the Devin Singletary, James Cook and Zack Moss backfield can’t propel the offense like Thomas did.

Thomas led the NFL in yards from scrimmage four straight seasons, and nobody gained more from 1989 through 1993.

Hasek was the planet’s greatest hockey player in the 1990s. He won a pair of Hart Trophies and three other times finished among the top three in voting. He also won six Vezina Trophies, all with a Sabres roster that always seemed offensively lacking.

From the time Hasek started winning hardware in 1993-94 until his trade to the Detroit Red Wings in 2001, he never had a teammate score more than 40 goals and had only four score more than 30: Miroslav Satan twice and Alexander Mogilny, Dale Hawerchuk and Pat LaFontaine once apiece.

Those Buffalo teams had as many players log 200 penalty minutes: Rob Ray six times, Matthew Barnaby three times and Brady May and Bob Boughner once apiece.

The current Sabres don’t have a foundation of grinders, fighters and lockdown defenseman. This edition is freer-wheeling, younger and potentially more explosive.

So, my answer is Hasek. If he could drag that 1998-99 squad to the Stanley Cup Final, then I have to go with him in this hypothetical.

But maybe the question should be Thomas versus Hasek.

In that either-or scenario, I’ll go with Thomas. He would make Buffalo’s offense impossible to stop.

If Eric Comrie performs this year, does that change anything regarding long-term goalie plans for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and Devon Levi? How do you see them stacking up in 2023-24? — G.R.

To answer your question, G.R., I reached out to Kris Baker, the superlative voice on Sabres prospects (his Twitter handle is @SabresProspects, for Crissakes) and young goaltenders.

Comrie had a raggedy Tuesday night in Seattle, although he was playing behind a couple of AHL defensemen at the tail-end of a four-game, eight-day Western road trip.

Otherwise, he started well enough to make us wonder, going 2-1 with a 3.01 goals against average but a .930 save percentage.

“Pre-COVID, the Sabres goaltending situation left fans searching to understand what the long-term plan was at the critical position,” Baker said. “It appears there could be a bit of a sea change taking place in the Buffalo crease.”

The Sabres signed the Winnipeg Jets free agent to a modest contract at two years and $3.6 million to help veteran Craig Anderson, who is 41 years old.

Comrie is 27 but doesn’t have a robust body of work. He started 16 games last season, but over the previous five seasons made only eight starts with three organizations.

“If Comrie is able to sustain his early-season play — still a big if — he should become the steady veteran in the NHL duo as Anderson rides off into the sunset,” Baker said.

Baker can foresee Comrie taking the lead next season, with Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen rising from the Rochester Americans to become the main backup.

“UPL looks stronger, more polished, and more mature while playing every available minute to date with the Amerks,” Baker said. “While his stats do not exactly sparkle, he’s allowed three or fewer goals in four of five AHL starts, and we shouldn’t overlook his NHL results when playing behind a more structured, defensively competent group.

“Buffalo will likely feel he’s deserving of the opportunity to show himself in the final year of his deal. On paper, this looks to be the plan with UPL being guaranteed his $925,000 NHL salary in 2023-24.”

A Comrie-Luukkonen crease would allow Northeastern University’s Devon Levi and the University of Michigan’s Erik Portillo to pick up those AHL reps the Sabres covet for goaltender development. Portillo can exercise his right to unrestricted free agency this summer, but Baker noted that’s a theoretical question for a few more months.

“I’m all about creating competition in the pipeline,” Baker said. “If Levi and/or Portillo accelerate their development and force their way into NHL duty earlier than anticipated, well, that’s a good problem to have. We can discuss how to use the aforementioned flexibility if that happens.

“Right now, though, the Sabres depth chart in net looks strong from top to bottom. They need the more known commodity in Comrie to keep battling to execute their long-term strategy.”

How many Norris Trophies do you think are in the cards for Rasmus Dahlin, four or five? Or am I too conservative? — Albert V.

I know you’re being at least a little sarcastic, Albert, so let’s start off by stating Bobby Orr’s record likely is safe from any burgeoning Dahlin assault on hockey history.

Orr was voted the NHL’s top defenseman eight consecutive seasons. Doug Harvey and Nicklas Lidstrom won the Norris seven times apiece, and Ray Bourque won it five times.

Those measuring sticks are tall, but who’s to say Dahlin can’t make a run?

First, he would need to become the first Sabres defenseman to win a Norris Trophy. Jim Schoenfeld came closest in 1979-80, finishing third behind winner Larry Robinson and runner-up Borje Salming.

But Dahlin might be on his way. He opened the season with a goal in five straight games, breaking the NHL record for a defenseman, tying the Sabres’ record regardless of position and setting the Sabres’ record for a defenseman at any point during a season.

He didn’t extend his goal streak Tuesday night, but he had an assist on Buffalo’s lone goal. Dahlin has five goals and four assists through seven games, the nine points best among all NHL defensemen. His plus-9 is second to Vegas Golden Knights defenseman Shea Theodore’s plus-10.

Are we ever going to learn what’s up with Kim Pegula? Not asking you to divulge, but do you have any indication as to whether she will be in public again? Just curious and a bit sad. Sad to see Terry Pegula alone at games. — Steve F.

At some point, I believe the Pegulas will feel comfortable enough to share the recovery Kim has been going through. By all accounts she has been steadily improving.

The family has chosen to protect her privacy, which is understandable.

Fans and employees want to know how she’s doing, which also is understandable.

People feel they have a right to know Kim Pegula’s health information because she is a public figure. She is the co-owner and president of NFL and NHL franchises. The Pegulas are beneficiaries of $850 million in public money to build a new Bills stadium.

My stance on the issue is that as long as the teams are operating as they should in her absence, then her recovery and the timeline for her return is nobody’s business.

I’ve heard from several employees who feel they should be updated on Kim Pegula’s health, but how long would that information remain in-house? It would take three seconds to leak.

Bills sources tell me executive president and chief operating officer Ron Raccuia has absorbed Kim Pegula’s duties, has been working closely with Terry Pegula and is overseeing the various business department heads, while football operations hasn’t been affected at all.

The Bills through seven weeks have established themselves as the NFL’s best team. The stadium deal still isn’t finalized (all three negotiating parties have told me there’s nothing to be alarmed about), but Raccuia was the project’s point person all along.

The Sabres extended general manager Kevyn Adams and coach Don Granato before the season and are off to an impressive start.

Is there a coach on the defensive staff that’d be similar to the Brian Daboll/Ken Dorsey situation if Leslie Frazier leaves as a head coach next year? No doubt Sean McDermott heavily influences the defense, but in looking at the staff I can’t see who it might be. Linebackers coach Bobby Babich? -— John N.

Great question, John. I’ve long believed Frazier is overdue for another shot as a head coach. His performance so far this year only bolsters that sentiment.

With all the defensive injuries Buffalo has dealt with, Frazier has done an incredible job. The Bills have yielded the fewest points and yards. They rank third in yards per play and second in first downs allowed. They’ve gathered a league-best 10 interceptions.

Babich certainly is respected, a coaching lifer, following in his father’s footsteps. He did very well with Bills safeties the past five years before moving to linebackers.

But he’s younger and less experienced than other candidates.

The strongest consideration likely will go to senior defensive assistant/defensive line assistant Eric Washington and passing game coordinator/defensive backs assistant John Butler.

When Bills coach Sean McDermott was Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator from 2011 through 2016, Washington was the defensive line coach. Washington became the Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2018 and 2019.

Butler was Penn State’s defensive coordinator in 2013 and Midwestern State’s in 1999 and 2000. In between, he was the special teams coordinator at Texas State, Harvard, Minnesota and South Carolina while also coaching a position group at each stop.

Why are the Bills so apprehensive about playing James Cook and Khalil Shakir more? Cook is clearly their most dynamic running back and the only one that’s a threat to take it all the way for a long TD. Shakir is more sure-handed than Isaiah McKenzie by the look of things and has more potential. Probably their best YAC receiver too. Are they going to potentially wait until the playoffs or a major injury to see if they can cut the mustard? — Kevin J.

In the simplest terms, Cook and Shakir simply haven’t earned the coaching staff’s trust yet. We have seen inconsistent performances from each so far, and we don’t know how effectively they’ve executed in practice.

Fans seem to be on the verge of turning the page on McKenzie, who signed a two-year, $4.4 million extension over the summer but hasn’t been entirely dependable when Allen looks his way.

The Bills were hoping for more out the slot since cutting Cole Beasley. So far, McKenzie is averaging 11 fewer yards per game than Beasley did last year while averaging an identical 6.2 yards per target.

Shakir’s potential excites fans. Maybe we’ve seen all the 27-year-old McKenzie can be, and that makes Shakir feel like an unopened gift. The fifth-round rookie showed out with three catches for 75 yards and a score against the Pittsburgh Steelers three weeks ago.

Cook’s initial impression was a lost fumble on the first touch of his NFL career. He was drafted 63rd overall to be a receiving back, but finished five of his six games with zero catches.

The Bills, however, haven’t truly needed Cook. Their offense is the NFL’s most productive at 6.6 yards a play. Singletary hasn’t been Joe Cribbs, but the clear-cut lead back has enjoyed moments, posting 107 yards from scrimmage (76 rushing yards in the first half) of the Week 6 victory in Arrowhead Stadium.

Wouldn’t a trade for Cam Akers be better option for the Bills than trading for Christian McCaffrey given CMC’s contract and since it would probably cost the Bills much less to trade for Akers? — Paul O.

Understand this: The Bills like their running backs, even Moss, who was a healthy scratch in Kansas City.

Once the Panthers fired coach Matt Rhule and instigated another rebuild, Bills GM Brandon Beane looked into the McCaffrey asking price because the all-purpose back possesses extraordinary talent, not because the Bills are eager to upgrade. The San Francisco 49ers landed McCaffrey for second-, third- and fourth-round draft picks next spring and a fifth-rounder in 2024.

Do not anticipate the Bills trading for Akers or any other running back unless an unexpected situation arises.

If the Bills were forced to make a splash trade before the deadline to help win it all this year, what would that be? If your answer isn’t on the offensive line, what would you pick? — Sean P.

When I think of “splash” transactions, I envision borderline teams rolling the dice and probably overpaying. The Bills have no crying needs and value their draft assets too much to get wild at the trade deadline.

Beane isn’t afraid to wheel and deal. He and his scouts will examine every possibility, but they won’t go for a spin unless it’s there’s an obvious fit and decent value.

As discussed on my latest “Tim Graham And Friends” podcast, former Bills captain and center Eric Wood was amazed at the idea they not only have so many strengths, but they also don’t seem to have any weaknesses.

For example, Buffalo’s secondary didn’t drop off nearly as much as we expected after safety Micah Hyde’s season-ending neck injury — and several temporary injuries to defensive backs. Depth on the offensive line has been sharp, too.

Instead of forcing you to guess what the Bills won’t or will do, I’ll ask you a different question. Who has been your favorite interview this year? Why? Are there any guys that you’ve gotten to know a bit better this year as opposed to all the pandemic restrictions? — Nick P.

I do much of my work through phone calls and texts, and that hasn’t changed since we’ve been allowed back into the locker room.

What I have noticed is how much more personable interactions have been when you can approach a player at his locker stall versus stiffer protocols of a news conference. Players can step onto the podium already with their guard up when a couple dozen reporters are seated before them, a row of cameras across the back of the room and stage lights shining in their eyes.

We’re able to get more educational answers in the locker room. You can have a conversation, ask follow-up questions and have a moment explained in greater detail. A PR staffer isn’t counting the minutes to end one news conference and usher the next player or coach to the microphone.

There’s also the ability to observe in the locker room. Readers seemed to appreciate the anecdote about Von Miller catching his breath after the Chiefs game by cracking open a Labatt Blue Light and staring at the floor in silence.

It was a thoroughly relatable moment we wouldn’t see in a news conference.

What’s been your favorite Bills season to cover? Same question for the Sabres? — Bob D.

My overall score to beat is the Sabres’ 2005-06 campaign, a magical ride that stunned NHL observers. The Sabres were considered a doormat waiting to be stomped, but they emerged from the lockout a comet soaked in gasoline.

They were scintillating. They were classy. They were endearing. Daniel Briere and Chris Drury co-captained a team I believe was the greatest in franchise history, and coach Lindy Ruff agrees with me.

In the playoffs, the Sabres encountered a run of bad luck that would leave Job sympathetic. Yet they came within a period of advancing to the Stanley Cup Final, where there would have been favored against an Edmonton Oilers team backstopped by journeyman Dwayne Roloson.

The 2006-07 Sabres won the President’s Trophy, but didn’t have the same spark and were dominated in the Eastern Conference Final despite being healthier than the year before.

As for my favorite Bills season? I think it’s this one. Two years ago might’ve been my answer had COVID protocols not killed the energy.

The 2022 Bills clearly are the NFL’s best club, their resilience has been commendable and Allen is proving to be a force unlike the sport ever has seen.

I’m late so you probably won’t see this, but with Harrison Philips gone the Bills have lost their perennial Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee. Who do you think gets that honor this year? — Carson D.

There are a few worthy successors, but my choice is Dion Dawkins.

The Pro Bowl left tackle has made an impact in Western New York through his Dion’s Dreamers foundation and his involvement with other organizations such as Rooted in Love and Big Brothers Big Sisters.

After the May 14 Tops massacre, Dawkins wrote a powerful tribute to Buffalo at The Player’s Tribune. He used his NFL platform to help Rooted in Love stock a food and toiletries pantry on the East Side and arranged a celebrity cornhole tournament to raise money for victims’ families.

CNN anchor and University at Buffalo alum Wolf Blitzer highlighted Dawkins’ charitable efforts for the networks “Champions for Change” series.

Who are the top candidates to Lead the Charge at the new stadium for their very first home/new stadium opener and ultimately which former player(s)/exec(s) get the nod? Do we know if Highmark will continue to sponsor the stadium, or does that expire when they officially move into the new pad? — Justin P.

What a thinker of a question. There are a few ways to go, and some answers are, obviously, better than others.

The players with retired jerseys — Bruce Smith, Kelly, Thomas — are fine candidates. Maybe all three. Maybe a collection of all the Bills’ living Hall of Famers or Wall of Famers.

The immortal Marv Levy all by himself.

Mary Wilson, widow of Bills founder Ralph Wilson, also would be classy. As would the longest-tenured season-ticket holder.

What I would hate to see is a back-slapping endeavor with the Pegulas, Erie county executive Mark Poloncarz and Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Might as well ask Celery.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

6 hours ago, wilson said:

There’s an article in the athletic asking who’s Buffalo’s GOAT.   I couldn’t read it but it’s definitely a loaded question. I’m sure it will be posted soon.   JA hasn’t nearly earned Jimbos spot as Buffaloes goat but if it came down to one game.  If I needed one win I’d have to go with JA… I feel bad for even writing it as JK was the man. He graduated just a few yrs before me so that entire team was around my age.  Even tho they lost 4 straight I’d die with them again.  I loved that team

I posted it for you, @wilson

Right now Kelly is the GOAT QB in Bills history simply because Allen is still playing. When it's all said and done Josh will hold every Bills QB record and be the GOAT QB in Bills history.

As of today.

1. Kelly

2. Kemp

3. Ferguson

When Josh is done playing.

1. Allen

2. Kelly

3.Kemp

4.Ferguson

No other QB's in Bills history are worth mentioning including Bledsoe and Flutie.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Greg said:

Right now Kelly is the GOAT QB in Bills history simply because Allen is still playing. When it's all said and done Josh will hold every Bills QB record and be the GOAT QB in Bills history.

As of today.

1. Kelly

2. Kemp

3. Ferguson

1. Allen

2. Kelly

3.Kemp

4.Ferguson

No other QB's in Bills history are worth mentioning including Bledsoe and Flutie.

When Allen gets the Bills into a couple of Super Bowls, come talk to me.  That's only half of what Kelly accomplished.

No doubt Allen needs a running back even half as good as Thurman.  Without that he is not going to accomplish much.  He's leading the team in rushing right now.  If that doesn't worry you, nothing will.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JMech said:

When Allen gets the Bills into a couple of Super Bowls, come talk to me.  That's only half of what Kelly accomplished.

No doubt Allen needs a running back even half as good as Thurman.  Without that he is not going to accomplish much.  He's leading the team in rushing right now.  If that doesn't worry you, nothing will.

Which is why I put Kelly 1st. Allen is still playing. If Josh leads the Bills to a Super Bowl win this year, then he automatically goes to #1

Not a fair question yet. 

I love Josh as much as anyone here but right now its Kelly at the top without question. 

Lets revisit 10 years down the line when Josh is done and I'm positive he'll be 1. 

A better question would be to compare their careers and accomplishments at the same age, or at the same year into their careers. 

• Like 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Right now the goat is actually  neither of them.  Wait whut? Wha kina Bills fan is you? Well, I go by world championships first.  The best qbs in franchise history are the tandem of Jack Kemp and Daryle Lamonica.

Second right now? Jim Kelly (4 superbowl trips, most career records)

Third? Josh Allen.

If we’re going to limit it to Josh Allen and Jim Kelly, I would have to give it to Kelley because he was an ambassador. Not just for the team but for the city of Buffalo and he has remained ambassador throughout all these years. It’s not always what happens on the field that makes you the best. It’s the little things that count

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HipKat said:

If we’re going to limit it to Josh Allen and Jim Kelly, I would have to give it to Kelley because he was an ambassador. Not just for the team but for the city of Buffalo and he has remained ambassador throughout all these years. It’s not always what happens on the field that makes you the best. It’s the little things that count

Allen is that as well. He's 100% Buffalo. 

Once he hangs the cleats we'll see if he keeps it up. But right now he's all in

• Like 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

6 hours ago, Greg said:

As of today.

1. Kelly

2. Kemp

3. Ferguson

1. Allen

2. Kelly

3.Kemp

4.Ferguson

1. Ferguson

2. Kemp

3. Kelly

Not even a debate.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, seandelevan said:

I was thinking about this the other day…the one big difference so far is that Allen doesn’t have a a guy anywhere like Thurman Thomas. Not sure what Kelly would look like if he had a shit run game. But yeah those super bowl teams were so fucking dominate. The regular season was such a formality that seemed like the season didn’t really start until the playoffs. This season has reminded me that time. Just wish we had another weapon like Kelly did. 

No way in hell would Kelly have been anywhere near as successful as he was without Thurmal.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thurmal said:

You just can't compare QBs from different eras. Allen plays in a throw-first league where QBs are totally protected. Kelly played in an era where QBs could be brutalized and defensive holding was more-or-less allowed. He retired when he was a decade younger than Brady is now, and he was completely spent at that point.

Yeah. His arm was completely shot when he retired and he looked much older than 36 going on 37. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thurmal said:

You just can't compare QBs from different eras. Allen plays in a throw-first league where QBs are totally protected. Kelly played in an era where QBs could be brutalized and defensive holding was more-or-less allowed. He retired when he was a decade younger than Brady is now, and he was completely spent at that point.

Exactly. Different era, and in my opinion, a better game.

• Like 1

Just now, slevin said:

If he Allen had a RB this team will be unstoppable

They have a running back, but they've chosen to make the running game an extremely small part of their game. Allen is the focal point, not the running game. It's a different game.

13 hours ago, seandelevan said:

In today's game, how much would it cost the owners (all owners) if they had to pay for a great QB, RB, or WR's to keep the offense intact? More importantly, how much would it cost the fans? Different era, and a different game. Probably because it has to be.

And I haven't even addressed the defense, which I know you love talking about.

I love Kelly, but Unless JA get a career changing injury it’s not close.

JA has a better arm than Kelly and he a a beast running the ball. JA will not get fucked up the night before his fist SB.

This Bills team and JA have the killer instinct to win it all and not be satisfied until they do. I hate to say that, but 90s Bills could not close the deal. This Bills team does not have the selfish guys like Bruce. I loved Bruce, but he was a diva. 

JA is one of the best QBs I have ever seen. JA will probably be the best Bill ever. 

• Like 1