January 6 panel’s case against Trump lays out roadmap for prosecution

f8ta1ity54

January 6 panel’s case against Trump lays out roadmap for prosecution | US Capitol attack | The Guardian

After more than a year of work that consisted of interviewing 1,000-plus witnesses and reviewing hundreds of thousands of documents, the committee investigating the January 6 attack on the Capitol chose a simple message for its final public hearing: Donald Trump was singularly responsible for the attack.

Since its first hearing in June, the committee’s work has been aimed at two audiences. One of those has been the broad American public. Tactfully using video, the committee has told a disciplined, clear story of what happened on January 6, and the days leading up to it, filled with jaw-dropping soundbites from Trump’s closest aides.

But the committee’s public coda on Thursday appeared more directed at its second audience: an audience of one, the US attorney general, Merrick Garland.

Garland will ultimately decide whether to bring criminal charges against Trump over January 6, and the committee’s work, which has run parallel to the justice department’s investigation, has made a public case for bringing charges, attempting to bring along public support for doing so.

Working chronologically from months before election day until January 6, each of the panel’s nine members on Thursday laid out the signposts of what a criminal case against the former US president could look like.

Pointing to volumes of evidence, they explained how Trump had decided months before election day that he won, regardless of the actual result. When his closest aides informed him that he lost, Trump intentionally chose not to concede. And even though he knew there was the threat of violence at the US Capitol on January 6, Trump fomented it anyway.

“None of this would have happened without him. He was personally and substantially involved in all of it,” Liz Cheney, the Republican representative who serves as the panel’s vice-chair, said in her opening remarks.

Thursday’s hearing continued much of the strategy successfully deployed in previous hearings. It heavily featured video depositions and there were dramatic reveals. There was new, stunning, behind-the-scenes footage of Nancy Pelosi and top congressional leaders as they pleaded for security assistance on January 6.

The panel also presented new evidence it obtained from the Secret Service showing the White House was warned of the potential for violence on January 6. And there was a last-minute dramatic twist as the committee voted 9-0 to subpoena Trump.

And just like previous hearings, nearly all of the testimony the committee presented on Thursday came from Republicans who were part of Trump’s inner circle.

There was video from Bill Stepien, Trump’s campaign manager, who advised the president against declaring victory while votes were being counted.

There was Greg Jacobs, a top adviser to Mike Pence, who said they were aware Trump could turn on the vice-president on January 6.

And there was more devastating video of Cassidy Hutchinson, a top aide to the White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, who told the committee how Trump fumed after the supreme court rebuffed his request to overturn the election.

“‘I don’t want people to know we lost, Mark. This is embarrassing. Figure it out. We need to figure it out. I don’t want people to know that we lost,” Trump told Meadows after the supreme court ruled against him, Hutchinson said.

That kind of testimony may be the committee’s most consequential legacy.

In getting top Republicans and Trump’s inner circle to publicly describe observations and conversations in the lead-up to January 6, the committee has blunted attacks that its work is a partisan exercise. It has created a record of some of the most powerful Republicans in the US government telling Trump that what he was doing was illegal. And the committee has slowly and meticulously isolated Trump, establishing his culpability, showing how he deliberately chose to ignore what those around him were telling him.

“When you look back at what has come out through this committee’s work, the most striking fact is that all this evidence comes almost entirely from Republicans,” Bennie Thompson, the committee chairman and a Mississippi Democrat, said in his opening statement.

That nonpartisan framing is an enormous gift to Garland and his justice department as it investigates and weighs bringing charges. It helps establish the case against Trump as an apolitical one, driven by the law. And even though Trump and other Republicans are likely to claim any charges are a political witch-hunt regardless, the voluminous testimony from top Republicans will help undercut that defense.

The committee will probably make public a final report later this year and decide whether to refer Trump and others to the justice department for potential criminal prosecution.

But regardless of its actions, the lie that Trump fomented after the 2020 election has taken deep hold across the United States. The 147 Republicans in the House who tried to overturn the election results have faced few consequences. Denying the results of the 2020 election has become orthodoxy in the Republican party. Candidates who have spread baseless conspiracy theories about voting machines and elections are now on the verge of winning offices with statewide election oversight in Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona and Michigan – all presidential battleground states.

Those developments have made the committee’s work all the more pressing.

“Our institutions only hold when men and women of good faith make them hold, regardless of the political cost. We have no guarantee that these men and women will be in place next time. Any future president inclined to attempt what Donald Trump did in 2020, has now learned not to install people who could stand in the way,” said Cheney, who lost a primary earlier this year because of her opposition to Trump.

“With every effort to excuse or justify the conduct of the former president, we chip away at the foundation of our republic. Indefensible conduct is defended, inexcusable conduct is excused. Without accountability, it all becomes normal and it will recur,” she added.

• Laugh 2

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

The bottom line to this whole thing is that if Trump had not started to plant the seeds of a stolen election, before the election even happened and if he had not lied about winning the election and just conceded defeat like every other president in the history of this country, January 6 would’ve never happened.

but all he’s going to do is take the fifth and every question they ask him, deny everything and any comments he makes are going to be the same bullshit lies that he always makes.

Jack Nicholson Eyes GIF

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1 hour ago, Philly'sFinest said:

Are we still pretending that the Orange man is going down this time!?

LOL

Are we still pretending that nothing happened on January 6 and that Trump had nothing to do with it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HipKat said:

Are we still pretending that nothing happened on January 6 and that Trump had nothing to do with it?

Nothing besides some fed incited protesting and simple trespassing/occupation of the house that was built on the people's dime

And, yes...he had ZERO to do with it. Do the words peacefully and patriotically mean anything to you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Philly'sFinest said:

Nothing besides some fed incited protesting and simple trespassing/occupation of the house that was built on the people's dime

And, yes...he had ZERO to do with it. Do the words peacefully and patriotically mean anything to you?

Those “elites” think the “By the people, for the people” stops where they say it stops! But when it’s your city, or your town or property it’s the opposite. Unfortunately some people are very deeply indoctrinated. 

2 hours ago, Toofast80 said:

As any sane individual would conclude! Unless you’d like to condemn and try Biden, Harris, Pelosi, etc... for their huge part in the destruction of this country in the summer of 2020!

No, I seen individual would look at all this evidence and testimony and come up with their own conclusion. Instead of ignoring it, refusing to watch and refusing to even acknowledge any of it and continue to say that nothing happened.

I would laugh my ass off if Trump supporters still try to say that Nancy Pelosi never attempted to bring in the National Guard after video of her pleading with the governors of Virginia and Maryland dissent in the National Guard was released.

pure willful ignorance. Intentional ignorance

1 hour ago, HipKat said:

No, I seen individual would look at all this evidence and testimony and come up with their own conclusion. Instead of ignoring it, refusing to watch and refusing to even acknowledge any of it and continue to say that nothing happened.

I would laugh my ass off if Trump supporters still try to say that Nancy Pelosi never attempted to bring in the National Guard after video of her pleading with the governors of Virginia and Maryland dissent in the National Guard was released.

I think the ignorance is not accepting the truth, that all of it was brought about by the “events” and the applauding of those events most of the year prior to 1/6/21. People were and are FED up with the “FED” and its status quo “rules for thee, but not for me”. And you can add Trump into that category if you’d like, but prior to his POTUS status he wasn’t “a peoples servant”.

2 hours ago, HipKat said:

She refused it days prior.

Of course she asked for it when it happened LOL

Nobody ever claimed that she didn't on 1/6. The argument is that she refused them days before

Get with the program 

1 hour ago, Toofast80 said:

I think the ignorance is not accepting the truth, that all of it was brought about by the “events” and the applauding of those events most of the year prior to 1/6/21. People were and are FED up with the “FED” and its status quo “rules for thee, but not for me”. And you can add Trump into that category if you’d like, but prior to his POTUS status he wasn’t “a peoples servant”.

He was still part of the ruling class and unquestionably party to the "but not for me" half of that equation, so I don't really know what your point is.  Unless you're saying "the people who support Trump are incredibly stupid because they chose the poster child of American exorbitance as their paragon of populism" in which case yes I completely agree you are all retarded.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Philly'sFinest said:

She refused it days prior.

Of course she asked for it when it happened LOL

Nobody ever claimed that she didn't on 1/6. The argument is that she refused them days before

Get with the program 

That argument has been repeatedly proven false

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jun/13/sean-hannity/no-evidence-pelosi-rejected-trumps-authorization-2/

• Like 1

Just now, ICRockets2 said:

And your evidence is.....

In the thread I posted here long ago.

It was an article run by factcheckers that interestingly enough had a very misleading headline, but if you read the article...you would come to the conclusion that Pelosi, Bowser, and the sergeant at arms together made the decision to not bring in the NG on 1/6

Now you can debate the reasoning and logic behind that, but the facts are that they were given information that would warrant the approval to bring in the NG, but they didn't 

11 hours ago, ICRockets2 said:

He was still part of the ruling class and unquestionably party to the "but not for me" half of that equation, so I don't really know what your point is.  Unless you're saying "the people who support Trump are incredibly stupid because they chose the poster child of American exorbitance as their paragon of populism" in which case yes I completely agree you are all retarded.

Reading and comprehension Isn’t your strong suite! I said why he was different from the others, but you’re not smart to understand even the simplest of concepts 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Toofast80 said:

Reading and comprehension Isn’t your strong suite! I said why he was different from the others, but you’re not smart to understand even the simplest of concepts 🤦‍♂️

The fact that he wasn't a politician doesn't change the fact that he was still very much one of them, not one of us.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Philly'sFinest said:

In the thread I posted here long ago.

It was an article run by factcheckers that interestingly enough had a very misleading headline, but if you read the article...you would come to the conclusion that Pelosi, Bowser, and the sergeant at arms together made the decision to not bring in the NG on 1/6

Now you can debate the reasoning and logic behind that, but the facts are that they were given information that would warrant the approval to bring in the NG, but they didn't 

Sooo video evidence isn’t enough… of course not for a low IQ individual like yourself. Fact: Trump lead a coupe attempt against the US. Fact: Trump refused to bring in the national guard. Fact: Trump is a terrorist!