Analyzing the Offensive Line play by The Athletic - Joe Buscaglia

Crazy Legs

Part of a bigger article, this is the section is where he assesses the OLine play.
Clearer we need to upgrade the IOL play...and have for the last 3 or 4 years.
I have been beating that drum...to upgrade the talent on the OLine....for that same period of time.   
IMO a better IOL will help Josh more than adding 2 more great WRs and drafting another RB.  C'mon Beane.

Not a standout day for the offensive line

In Week 3, the offensive line play was one of the single-biggest deficiencies and a significant factor for some of their struggles during the game. The Bills used all eight of their active offensive linemen and had difficulties across the board. Fortunately for them against Baltimore, with center Mitch Morse back and their starting offensive line in tow, it was better but not quite where they need to be to be the multi-faceted offensive team coach Sean McDermott desires.

The majority of their difficulties, which isn’t a complete surprise given the other three games, was as run blockers. While they weren’t running the wide zone concepts that generated minimal yards, they still had trouble getting a proper push up front. The most promising rep was on a pin-and-pull concept we detailed after the game, but the rest fell short. Devin Singletary’s run to get down to the goal line at the end of the game was more a product of the Ravens moving out of the way than ample blocking. One of the defenders even bent their body out of the way to clear the way for Singletary.

The guard play was again the biggest issue for the Bills. Left guard Rodger Saffold had his best total game of the season but still had some problems sustaining his blocks in the run game. It wound up being a passable day, which is far better than the rest of the season. For the third time in four games, right guard Ryan Bates struggled significantly and was at the bottom of our player grades this week. Bates is having difficulty keeping defenders from using their length against him, and it’s allowing the opponent to get wide and force the run another way. The longer this keeps up with Bates, the more you have to wonder if they’ll look to make a change at some point. He definitely flashes potential as a pass blocker, but he hasn’t had an all-around game to this point in the year. On the positive side, right tackle Spencer Brown had a nice game and one of his best of the early season, a performance the Bills hope he can build on after a treacherous Week 3 in Miami.

• Laugh 1
  • Like 1

OLine 2023 Draft Prospects                     Free Agent Targets

O'Cyrus Torrence, 6'5" 345lbs                OG Evan Brown, Lions
Darnell Wright, 6'6", 335lbs                      OG Will Hernandez, Cardinals
John M Schmitz, 6'4", 320lbs                   WR Parris Campbell, Colts
Cody Mauch, 6'5" 305lbs                          SAF Nasir Adderley, Chargers
Matthew Bergeron, 6'5" 323lbs

The Bills foolishly thought Bates could be the answer at guard and brought in an aging vet on a one year deal to play opposite him. Not good enough. Bates is at most good depth, but shouldn’t be considered an entrenched starter. Beane has work to do this off-season on this line. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

The Bills foolishly thought Bates could be the answer at guard and brought in an aging vet on a one year deal to play opposite him. Not good enough. Bates is at most good depth, but shouldn’t be considered an entrenched starter. Beane has work to do this off-season on this line. 

It did seem Beane reached on that Bates contract.

And, Rodger Saffold has shown flashes in his career, but he might be past the Sell By Date. 

Draft some options Beane.  Please.   Okay, you bailed too soon on Wyatt Teller, but that doesn't mean you should stop drafting OG/IOL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

We don't really have anyone in the pipeline for IOL.   The only IOL on the practice squad is 30 year old Greg Mancz. 

Tommy Doyle was drafted...and offers developmental skills at OT.    We drafted Luke Tenuta to develop, but he is OT also.

Did we NEED to draft James Cook?   How about LB Terrel Bernard?    Could we have squeezed in an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round?  I think so.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

We don't really have anyone in the pipeline for IOL.   The only IOL on the practice squad is 30 year old Greg Mancz. 

Tommy Doyle was drafted...and offers developmental skills at OT.    We drafted Luke Tenuta to develop, but he is OT also.

Did we NEED to draft James Cook?   How about LB Terrel Bernard?    Could we have squeezed in an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round?  I think so.

Joe Marino was pounding the table for Dylan Parham and even mocked him to the Bills in a first round trade down. I would have loved that pick in the third. You want to throw a one year deal at Saffold?  Ok. Go get a stud to develop behind him this year and then be plugged in next year. 

Nope. It’s like McD had a hissy fit cause Beane went offense in 2. Parham would have made more sense and been more valuable in the long run. 

• Like 2

I seem to remember a few (cough cough) members going on in a thread about "who needs all the guys Beane got rid of"(a hot take if I ever heard one!). Hopefully none of them show up to this thread...  One of those players was Feliciano, the IOL who was hailed for turning the OL around when the Bills went on their epic run, a guy who brought some attitude to the line(similar to another IOL whome this regime and many on here were happy to get rid of after consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, Richie Incognito).  Then Feliciano gets denounced like whomever he replaced, and the current line is declared good by most here and in America(with the possible exception of....depth), then through all the circumstances that bring us to a point, the current line gets denounced.  It's an ongoing process and folks apparently have short memories with whom the praise and denounce, so I try to ignore the malcontents/Monday Morning QB's, or gently mock them.

Either way, I 've  generally liked Joe Buscaglia long before The Athletic and wanted to take a moment to do a short rap that imitates the TV scene which inspired my screen name.

Joe-ey B, on   a    write-ing spree....a Straight G.

(and being he went out of his way to say the defense went out of their way to let Motor advance[yet doesn't address why they stopped him just shy of the end zone(preventing themselves from having a chance to take the game to OT), which caused my original bets to only push rather than cover like all of the subsequent ones] Joe is saying....)

This thread is beggin' for T W D    ;)

Andy did you hear about this one?-REM . "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway". -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971.  https://nativeamericanchurches.org/ My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs  My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)    Being staff seemed unable to train an elite legend how to run, Cole Beasley is my backup.   (I doubt that explanation is wanted).

I don't think they thought anyone would have interest in Bates, then the Bears made him an offer and they thought, wow, okay, well if we want him back hes going to have to start....I don't think they wanted Bates to end up another Teller, so they gave him that deal, which is too good to be a depth guy.....however, if they can somehow trade for starter at G, he can be the #3 G and backup C, so he'll still get his playtime and be worth the contract

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Baldat28 said:

I don't think they thought anyone would have interest in Bates, then the Bears made him an offer and they thought, wow, okay, well if we want him back hes going to have to start....I don't think they wanted Bates to end up another Teller, so they gave him that deal, which is too good to be a depth guy.....however, if they can somehow trade for starter at G, he can be the #3 G and backup C, so he'll still get his playtime and be worth the contract

Bates would be a good swing Interior Lineman for OG and Center.   

Note about Bates' contract.   For 2023 he will be paid $4,875,000.    Quite fair for a swing IOL.

And then the Bills have an out.   So they can void the 2024 and 2025 years.

Overall, good contract Mr. Beane.

Now, just find us a higher level OG to put in there for 2023.   Stop trying to force fit a Cody Ford or the like.   Get the offensive equivalent of Jordan Phillips if you are going FA, or, get a good draft prospect in the first 3 rounds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rcas0308 said:

When are we gonna talk about Morse being one of the worst run blocking centers in the league? There is a reason the run blocking problems coincides with that signing 

Morse has a contract that is pretty locked in....he has a Dead Cap Hit of $5 million in 2023.   IMO the front office plan would be to keep him through the end of 2023.

But, it would make sense to consider drafting an IOL prospect that can play both guard and center and have someone in the pipeline.

Just need Brandon Beane to be on board with the plan.....

17 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

^^^^^ I think Beane drafted Bernard hoping he'd be another Milano in case he doesn't pay Edmunds. Cook was taken because Beane's on the RB merry-go-round forever looking for a better RB--he thinks the OL players can get the job done. He may be in denial...

• Like 1

I agree with folks about the OL, and don't think Beane  is less intelligent when it comes to his profession than some fans(and I dont mean CL) try to portray him as.  The 1 yr contract with Saffolld (and that other new fellow that was more flexible, names arent always my thing l ol)could be seen to lend evidence he is already working on a schedule.  the official Bills site has a show late sunday nights and I recall it saying you can submit questions if you sincerely want to address these things.  I was looking into it with you guys in mind the other day.  ...I know that Beane has not always been the most aggressive in-seasson when swinging for the seats, but I would not totally rule that out either if in the next 2 games some major hole is identified.  While I can't say for certain how Beane will do in his IOL work, I would be willing to wager cash (which hopefully will still shave value by the time the offseason arrives), or possible some other agreed upon unit of barter that the IOL gets attention.  I won't guarantee he will completely abandon BPA, but other than someone great value there at the time of hopefully the 32nd pick, I'm feeling pretty confident he does not go with DL and am lkely willing to wager on that as well, especially if we can set up whatever the term is for the folks who hold onto the cash for both parties and make sure it gets to where it has to go.   ....what I am concerned with is how he handles the injuries from The Curses(and maybe how the coaches mashall their resources in game as wee(, which is a more immediately issues, in my humble opinion.   @seandelevan is far closer to an official arbiter of such than I am though, so I willl appeal to his good sense for sush matters and see what he replies with.  Overall, a good analysis, gentlemen!  Get it done Beanem LGB!!

• Like 1

Andy did you hear about this one?-REM . "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway". -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971.  https://nativeamericanchurches.org/ My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs  My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)    Being staff seemed unable to train an elite legend how to run, Cole Beasley is my backup.   (I doubt that explanation is wanted).

2 hours ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

^^^^^ I think Beane drafted Bernard hoping he'd be another Milano in case he doesn't pay Edmunds. Cook was taken because Beane's on the RB merry-go-round forever looking for a better RB--he thinks the OL players can get the job done. He may be in denial...

I have no problem drafting a Linebacker this year.  We don't/didn't have a whole lot of depth at LB, and Edmunds contract is coming up.

That RB merry-go-round does have me scratching my head a bit.   And I get no one knows if a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round RB draft pick will be the next great back, or the next Zack Moss. 

I guess Beane and McDermott just don't put a huge value on IOL.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, Crazy Legs said:

Part of a bigger article, this is the section is where he assesses the OLine play.
Clearer we need to upgrade the IOL play...and have for the last 3 or 4 years.
I have been beating that drum...to upgrade the talent on the OLine....for that same period of time.   
IMO a better IOL will help Josh more than adding 2 more great WRs and drafting another RB.  C'mon Beane.

Not a standout day for the offensive line

In Week 3, the offensive line play was one of the single-biggest deficiencies and a significant factor for some of their struggles during the game. The Bills used all eight of their active offensive linemen and had difficulties across the board. Fortunately for them against Baltimore, with center Mitch Morse back and their starting offensive line in tow, it was better but not quite where they need to be to be the multi-faceted offensive team coach Sean McDermott desires.

The majority of their difficulties, which isn’t a complete surprise given the other three games, was as run blockers. While they weren’t running the wide zone concepts that generated minimal yards, they still had trouble getting a proper push up front. The most promising rep was on a pin-and-pull concept we detailed after the game, but the rest fell short. Devin Singletary’s run to get down to the goal line at the end of the game was more a product of the Ravens moving out of the way than ample blocking. One of the defenders even bent their body out of the way to clear the way for Singletary.

The guard play was again the biggest issue for the Bills. Left guard Rodger Saffold had his best total game of the season but still had some problems sustaining his blocks in the run game. It wound up being a passable day, which is far better than the rest of the season. For the third time in four games, right guard Ryan Bates struggled significantly and was at the bottom of our player grades this week. Bates is having difficulty keeping defenders from using their length against him, and it’s allowing the opponent to get wide and force the run another way. The longer this keeps up with Bates, the more you have to wonder if they’ll look to make a change at some point. He definitely flashes potential as a pass blocker, but he hasn’t had an all-around game to this point in the year. On the positive side, right tackle Spencer Brown had a nice game and one of his best of the early season, a performance the Bills hope he can build on after a treacherous Week 3 in Miami.

100% accurate

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

On 10/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, whorlnut said:

He sure does however just don't think he has is it in him to value the importance of the OL in today's NFL nor evaluate OL talent.

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

20 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Morse has a contract that is pretty locked in....he has a Dead Cap Hit of $5 million in 2023.   IMO the front office plan would be to keep him through the end of 2023.

But, it would make sense to consider drafting an IOL prospect that can play both guard and center and have someone in the pipeline.

Just need Brandon Beane to be on board with the plan.....

No way Morse will be here next year.

There were rumours that he wanted a bigger day to day role in the upkeep of his handicapped brother.

He is suffering more and more from injuries which is normal for an OL his age.

The Bills had no answer at back up Centre (unless you consider Bates that answer) and simply were unwilling to use one of their first three round picks on a C this past draft so paying a $5M Dead Cap Hit in 2023 (or spreading it over 2023 and 2024) is not a huge price to pay.

17 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I have no problem drafting a Linebacker this year.  We don't/didn't have a whole lot of depth at LB, and Edmunds contract is coming up.

That RB merry-go-round does have me scratching my head a bit.   And I get no one knows if a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round RB draft pick will be the next great back, or the next Zack Moss. 

I guess Beane and McDermott just don't put a huge value on IOL.

B-I-N-G-O!!!

See my mock. It addressed OL, got a replacement for Edmounds, added a WR and a CB all in rounds 1-5. 

The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

"Are you a Jedi?" "I am" Din Djarin to Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

#Cup or Bust 2023 #Bowl or Bust 2022 - It is the way.

Not using 1st 3 rounds (1, 2 & 3) draft picks on the OL is NOT addressing it.

5th and 6th round OL rarely make a NFL team.

They would have to be over looked by the entire NFL.

The way scouting is these days, that ain't happening often.

C and Guards unless elite blue chip prospects are usually picked in the very bottom of the 1st round (plug and play starter) or in round 2 through 5.   The way the NFL is structured you are always going to have weakness in certain area and strengths in others.  Yes the RG position is a weak link, Bates is not bad but also not great.  Morris is still a pretty good center, but it would be wise to find an understudy in this upcoming draft.

As for LB and Edmunds it really depends on what the Salary cap will be in 2023.  If it goes up substantially, I would bet the Bills would sign Edmunds to a long term deal.