IF Micah Hyde is done for the season, should the Bills acquire a safety?

Crazy Legs

The rumor is that Micah Hyde's agent is saying he might be done for the season.

If that sadly turns out to be true, what do you think Beane should do?

Poach Safety Nolan Turner off of the Tampa Bay practice squad?   (Now I wish we still had Nick McCloud)
Look for an unsigned veteran like Damontae Kazee?   Or, Chris Banjo?

Or, just roll with Jaquan Johnson and Damlin?

But what about if you get any more injuries at safety or corner?   When the heck is Tre White going to be 100%?   3 more weeks?

OLine 2023 Draft Prospects                     Free Agent Targets

O'Cyrus Torrence, 6'5" 345lbs                OG Evan Brown, Lions
Darnell Wright, 6'6", 335lbs                      OG Will Hernandez, Cardinals
John M Schmitz, 6'4", 320lbs                   WR Parris Campbell, Colts
Cody Mauch, 6'5" 305lbs                          SAF Nasir Adderley, Chargers
Matthew Bergeron, 6'5" 323lbs

They like Johnson a lot. Been grooming him for a few years now. I think he’s ready. He may not be Hyde, but if everyone else steps up, especially the D line, then we won’t need him to do too much. We’ll roll with him for now. I think we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JS12 said:

They like Johnson a lot. Been grooming him for a few years now. I think he’s ready. He may not be Hyde, but if everyone else steps up, especially the D line, then we won’t need him to do too much. We’ll roll with him for now. I think we’ll be fine.

White comes back. Love to see Benford get reps at safety. Athleticism, size and physicality to excel there. 

• Like 2

They will have to add a few to the practice squad. They have no one on there. Neal played safety in pre season. 

The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

"Are you a Jedi?" "I am" Din Djarin to Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

#Cup or Bust 2023 #Bowl or Bust 2022 - It is the way.

When they drafted Benford wasn’t there talk he could play safety? Sal has really been talking up Johnson. They have to sign some depth. I think if we can just hang on until Tre gets back we’ll be fine. This is the toughest game they will face WR wise for the next three weeks 

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

5 hours ago, Nuke said:

When they drafted Benford wasn’t there talk he could play safety? Sal has really been talking up Johnson. They have to sign some depth. I think if we can just hang on until Tre gets back we’ll be fine. This is the toughest game they will face WR wise for the next three weeks 

There was some talk that Benford could play safety.

BUT, if a player is good a corner, I want to keep him at corner.   Benford is only a rookie and he could be a long term quality corner. 

I get Kaiir Elam was a high draft pick, but if Benford is playing better at CB, roll with Benford.

1 minute ago, Crazy Legs said:

There was some talk that Benford could play safety.

BUT, if a player is good a corner, I want to keep him at corner.   Benford is only a rookie and he could be a long term quality corner. 

I get Kaiir Elam was a high draft pick, but if Benford is playing better at CB, roll with Benford.

I wasn’t necessarily suggesting moving him to safety. I was just saying his versatility could be useful in a pinch. 

• Like 1

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

4 hours ago, theAteam said:

Maybe wait a bit and see how the backups perform by the trade deadline. If it's a serious problem go and try to get someone aggressively but if Johnson/Poyer are playing well in the new rotation maybe just try to get some more depth.

This sounds like a good plan.   Jaquan Johnson has been developing and learning and should be ready to be at least adequate.

We need to put someone on the practice squad though.   And possibly poaching a safety off another team's practice squad.

13 hours ago, JS12 said:

Didn't Johnson have an INT or was that preseason? They've been preparing him for a couple-few years already... Throw him in...

6 hours ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

Didn't Johnson have an INT or was that preseason? They've been preparing him for a couple-few years already... Throw him in...

Agreed. It's time for Johnson to step in and show us what he's got. With Hyde out for the season, we don;t need to find a safety but like @Nuke said, we need to add some guy to the PS, at the least

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Well I think with Poyer and Hyde both hurt, we are going to see if they are really that good or is it the system that they play in.  I am hoping it is the system which then would allow the BIlls to move on from the aging dynamic duo and get younger, faster and keep other pieces of the defense together.  Personally I think Free safety is an over rated position.  It becomes important on broken plays as the FS is the last man to stop the TD.  If the D is running correctly the FS should be equivalent to the right fielder.  SS in the Bills defense is much more important as the position provides run support opposite of the ILB (Edmunds).  Hence why Poyer gets a lot of tackles.

Back in February/March, who predicted the Bills would not have Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde and Dane Jackson in Week 3 of the regular season.

And instead, we would be starting two rookies at Cornerback, and Damar Hamlin and Jaquan Johnson at safeties. 

Crazy.  

PS IF the Bills win, Brandon Beane should get a game ball.   
Damar Hamlin was a 6th round pick in 2021.  Christian Benford was a 6th round pick in 2022, and Jaquan Johnson was a 6th round pick in 2019.