US railroad workers prepare for strike as rail companies see record profits

f8ta1ity54

1 hour ago, HipKat said:

First off, I'm not calling you names, I said you're making crazy statements and you have been lately. Arguing the differences between Union and Non-union goes FAR beyond just wages.

Working Union vs. Working Non-Union

•  In a non-union setting, workers count on their own individual strength; in a union setting, workers count on their own strength plus the collective strength of the group.

•  In a non-union setting, the employer makes all the rules; in a union setting, the rules are negotiated by the union and the employer.

•  In a non-union setting, the employer enforces the rules however he sees fit; in a union setting, workers have a procedure in place to respond to unfair enforcement of rules, even to the point of having an outside, neutral arbitrator decide who’s right.

•  In a non-union setting, the employer decides what employees will be paid and what benefits, if any, they will receive; in a union setting, the employer is required to negotiate with the union on all pay and benefit issues the union brings to the bargaining table.

The difference is wages though is a joke to even debate. When I lived in LA, Non-Union Iron Workers were making $12.75 an hour. Union were making $23.00 an hour plus Benefits.

As I said, you are correct in your stats and thinking 10 years ago. This is no longer accurate.

45 minutes ago, Very Wide Right said:

As I said, you are correct in your stats and thinking 10 years ago. This is no longer accurate.

Parts of it are no longer accurate and that’s because with less union representation, people have put their foot down to try to get more out of their company but for the most part, wages are still lower than union wages, insurance is still more expensive when you’re a nonunion worker and everything you do at work is dictated by your employer and you are at their mercy.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
6tu3em.jpg