Direction Bills should go at Running Back?

Crazy Legs

On 9/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, seandelevan said:

Being saying this since 2017….

Emergency National Security Update:  MyPillow Guy's cell phone is safely in FBI custody.  After a daeing raid that involved multiple official vehicles and close coordination with concerned citizens in the Hardee's drive- through, brave FBI agents were able to surround the extremist businessman and procure his cell phone. 

• Laugh 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, jpp said:

Singletary looks to be continuing his good form from late last season so im hopeful for that....Again why is Moss still here....they should of got another vet RB to replace this fool....Still dont agree with getting a RB in the first round...I have bad memories of CJ Spiller...what a flop of a pick that was....

I don't think anyone is saying to draft a RB in the 1st round.  The idea is shouldn't you have one back on the team that takes the burden/risk off of Josh playing fullback on 3rd and short.   We aren't going in that direction though.  We just used a 2nd round pick on James Cook.   He offers no power running for getting a first down on 3rd and short.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:44 AM, seandelevan said:

Don’t get me wrong…I would LOVE it if the Bills never ran the ball and just passed it all the time. But this team(McDermott) is obsessed with the run game. Fine. Whatever. But if you want to run the ball at least have guys who can run the fucking ball. Imo Motor has improved…from bottom third of the league to middle of the pack level RB. Maybe Allen wouldn’t need to run the ball all the fucking time if we had a guy who could do everything Moss, motor, Cook can do. You know someone like Saquon Barkley who I was told over the summer was washed up and done. He sure looked washed up Sunday didn’t he? 🤣 FUCK

The problem with not having a running game is teams then play the game of blitz and max coverage.  It is much harder for the offense to function in a passing attack when the Defense plays pass every play, load up in dime coverage. There is also a weather factor as well.  Buffalo does not play in a dome and there are times where the weather dictates you have to run.  Extremely high winds with rain or white out snow conditions.  

Running back is not as important in todays league as it was a decade or two ago but it still is a skill position that can alter a game.  I think Cook will be a "Kamara" type back where he is tough to defend out of the back field.  Singletary may get an extension if he comes cheap, else he will be gone and the Bills will look to draft a replacement.  Moss simply is not good enough to be the featured back, and he is a less shifty slower copy of Motor.  

Big Running back that runs with power would be ideal for the Bills offense.  Just having a Taylor or Henry in the backfield would keep defenses honest and that opens up everything.  Sometimes it is not just having a shiny toy to give the ball to but rather just having the threat that the shiny toy can get the ball and hurt you that keeps defenses honest.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Zan186 said:

The problem with not having a running game is teams then play the game of blitz and max coverage.  It is much harder for the offense to function in a passing attack when the Defense plays pass every play, load up in dime coverage. There is also a weather factor as well.  Buffalo does not play in a dome and there are times where the weather dictates you have to run.  Extremely high winds with rain or white out snow conditions.  

Running back is not as important in todays league as it was a decade or two ago but it still is a skill position that can alter a game.  I think Cook will be a "Kamara" type back where he is tough to defend out of the back field.  Singletary may get an extension if he comes cheap, else he will be gone and the Bills will look to draft a replacement.  Moss simply is not good enough to be the featured back, and he is a less shifty slower copy of Motor.  

Big Running back that runs with power would be ideal for the Bills offense.  Just having a Taylor or Henry in the backfield would keep defenses honest and that opens up everything.  Sometimes it is not just having a shiny toy to give the ball to but rather just having the threat that the shiny toy can get the ball and hurt you that keeps defenses honest.

Exactly!

On 9/14/2022 at 11:10 PM, Crazy Legs said:

I don't think anyone is saying to draft a RB in the 1st round.  The idea is shouldn't you have one back on the team that takes the burden/risk off of Josh playing fullback on 3rd and short.   We aren't going in that direction though.  We just used a 2nd round pick on James Cook.   He offers no power running for getting a first down on 3rd and short.

Bills are at the stage of the game where they have the luxury to take whatever player is best at what ever position.  Cook was taken as a catch out of the backfield "scat back".  I think they are running him between the tackles simply to show other teams that he can do that too.  aka they want to get him on film for other teams to see.  Only explanation I can give for Cook running the ball like a power back.  

As for Moss....I think the Bills are show casing him for a potential trade.  Singletary is far the better back and it is not even close.  Only reason to give Moss the ball would be to entice a team to want a trade.  If we can get a 6th round pick for him, I would pack his bags for him.

Drafting a Bell Cow running back is one piece the Bills are missing.  If they can find a Henry, Barkley or Taylor in the first or second round....it would be game over for defenses.  Might as well cut the Punter as you will never need one.  Even now the Bills offense is so potent that they hardly ever punt.

5 hours ago, Zan186 said:

Drafting a Bell Cow running back is one piece the Bills are missing.  If they can find a Henry, Barkley or Taylor in the first or second round....it would be game over for defenses.  Might as well cut the Punter as you will never need one.  Even now the Bills offense is so potent that they hardly ever punt.

That is my game plan.   

PS  Reviewing all the college RBs that might be in the draft next spring, there aren't very many that are more than 205lbs.   Maybe one will rise up over the next few months.

Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota, 5'10, 210lbs
Chase Brown, Illinois, 5'11", 205lbs
Anthony Grant, Nebraska, 5'11", 200lbs
Raheim Sanders, Arkansas, 6'2", 227lbs (sophomore)
DeWayne McBride, UAB 5'11", 215lbs