Direction Bills should go at Running Back?

Crazy Legs

12 minutes ago, mixum said:

Singletary and Moss will be gone. I would think first round pick is gonna be either RB, Safety, or MLB. That’s assuming we don’t resign one of the latter two. 

We may have to dip into the Free Agent market as an option.

Big backs are more scarce in the draft.   But if you want a Jonathan Taylor, he was a high 2nd round pick.

The reason they do not need to keep running for those first downs with Josh is because he can throw for those first downs with all those weapons.  This team is fascinated with getting rushing first downs when they have the ultimate passing weapon in the league

Sin is nothing to celebrate, have pride in, or hold parades for. The rainbow is a symbol of promise not a symbol of depravity.

2 hours ago, seandelevan said:

Being saying this since 2017….

Being Lit doesn't post much anymore, I can picture him recoiling with the mention of drafting a RB in the first round, maybe even the first 3 or 4, like many NFL fans.  I try to be open to what the best call for the situation is, so I'll wait to see what the roster is like before I give it too much though.  If Beane can package a back that won't be here after next season while obtaining the desired type of back in trade this season, that might be the dream method and wouldn't require as long of wait, though I know things like that aren't always easy.  I do seem to recall GMDW imbibing wine on the Pegula yacht when he obtained legendary RB Shady McCoy in trade for a position(LB) that currently has a player some on here seem hellbent to see go lol.

I can semi-verify Sean's proclamation.  I recall Sean repeatedly using the term "bell-cow back" which I had not been familiar with(I do notice it now when others use it), being it rather amused me.  I like having at least a change of pace back, but I can see where OBD was coming from going for a back that can at least provide what Thurman did receiving.  Along with losing a QB to a wet rubber mat, the Bills also lost a RB whom I seem to recall had some power in his game(Karlos Williams) due to fat...allegedly from the bad influence of his pregnant wife.  If the Bills pick up some bandwagon fans, they won't be able to appreciate some of the legendary things that happened to this fanbase.  Heck, new members here can't fully appreciate what some of us have endured in on here specifically. lol  Anyhow, count me among those who'd love a big back. 

• Like 1

Andy did you hear about this one?

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)  

Being staff seemed unable to train an elite legend how to run, Cole Beasley is my backup.

Thanks for starting the thread Charlie Lima - easily the most undervalued position group of the foolishly smug Beane and McDermott tandem.

I'll be following Bigsby this season:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tank-Bigsby-RB-Auburn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-a_L97ybsQ

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4429013/tank-bigsby

6 hours ago, StraightJ said:

Being Lit doesn't post much anymore, I can picture him recoiling with the mention of drafting a RB in the first round, maybe even the first 3 or 4, like many NFL fans.  I try to be open to what the best call for the situation is, so I'll wait to see what the roster is like before I give it too much though.  If Beane can package a back that won't be here after next season while obtaining the desired type of back in trade this season, that might be the dream method and wouldn't require as long of wait, though I know things like that aren't always easy.  I do seem to recall GMDW imbibing wine on the Pegula yacht when he obtained legendary RB Shady McCoy in trade for a position(LB) that currently has a player some on here seem hellbent to see go lol.

I can semi-verify Sean's proclamation.  I recall Sean repeatedly using the term "bell-cow back" which I had not been familiar with(I do notice it now when others use it), being it rather amused me.  I like having at least a change of pace back, but I can see where OBD was coming from going for a back that can at least provide what Thurman did receiving.  Along with losing a QB to a wet rubber mat, the Bills also lost a RB whom I seem to recall had some power in his game(Karlos Williams) due to fat...allegedly from the bad influence of his pregnant wife.  If the Bills pick up some bandwagon fans, they won't be able to appreciate some of the legendary things that happened to this fanbase.  Heck, new members here can't fully appreciate what some of us have endured in on here specifically. lol  Anyhow, count me among those who'd love a big back. 

Don’t get me wrong…I would LOVE it if the Bills never ran the ball and just passed it all the time. But this team(McDermott) is obsessed with the run game. Fine. Whatever. But if you want to run the ball at least have guys who can run the fucking ball. Imo Motor has improved…from bottom third of the league to middle of the pack level RB. Maybe Allen wouldn’t need to run the ball all the fucking time if we had a guy who could do everything Moss, motor, Cook can do. You know someone like Saquon Barkley who I was told over the summer was washed up and done. He sure looked washed up Sunday didn’t he? 🤣 FUCK

F5C9EAAC-C339-4CCE-A45C-3316E9597675.jpeg

12 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I really wanted the Bills to draft a BIGGER back, but they went in the direction of taking a smallish back in the 2nd round.  (I wanted Brian Robinson in the 3rd rd)

Why do I want a bigger back?   Josh.

If the Bills had a Leonard Fournette or Jonathan Taylor (both weigh 228lbs) in the backfield there would be no reason to keep risking Josh Allen as our "get the 1st down" back.

We have plenty of playmakers in Diggs, Gabe, Knox, Crowder, McKenzie, etc.    We didn't desperately "need" a scat back who can catch out of the backfield as much as we need to protect Josh. 

Obviously last year, and this year so far, the coaches aren't relying on Singletary or Moss (or Cook) to pick up a first down on those 3rd & 2.   Too many times it is Josh. 

Draft prospects 2023

Raheim Sanders, RB, Arkansas (6-2, 227lbs)
Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas (6-0, 220 pounds)
Zach Evans, RB, Ole Miss (6-0, 215 pounds)
Tank Bigsby, RB, Auburn (6-0, 213 pounds)
Chris Rodriguez, RB, Kentucky (5-11, 224 pounds)
Zach Charbonnet, RB,  UCLA (6-1, 220 pounds)

James Cook, RB, Buffalo (5-11, 190 pounds)

Actually anyone serviceable who doesn't take snaps away from josh.

I wanted a bigger back like Robinson as well.

At this point I would prefer a big back, but I just want someone with great vision, contact balance, and a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield. Hopefully someone with enough speed to test the edge as well, something in the 4.5-4.55 range.

I am keeping a close eye on Zach Evans.

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

5 hours ago, George said:

I am completely happy with Singletary,  Moss , Cook

Give it some time....

I really was expecting a little better output from Moss. Not sure why, I suppose it was my own bias’ towards wanting him to succeed and be the GL/SY back that was needed. And Cook/e(Sp?) one carry, on fumble, UGH!

Right now Singletary is fine as a feature back.  They have Saffold and Dawkins on the left side opening up holes for him and Brown on the Ride side to seal off the right side to run off tackle.  

Cook should only be handed the ball 1 out of 20 touches just to fool the defense or to keep them honest.  Cook was drafted to be a Kamara type RB.  His job is to chip block and release into the flat and catch the ball.  He can also line up in the slot to catch the ball.  HE IS NOT A RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES Rb!!!

The Bills shopping list/draft list for 2023 is : C/G (interior Linemen) as Morris needs depth and is getting older.  Saffold is 34, so need to groom replacement guys on offensive line.  

Yes a big Featured RB like Henry or Harris would make the Bills absolutely scary to play against.   The defense looks solid all the way around.  If the Salary Cap moves up and we can keep our players we should do extremely well for years to come.  

18 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I really wanted the Bills to draft a BIGGER back, but they went in the direction of taking a smallish back in the 2nd round.  (I wanted Brian Robinson in the 3rd rd)

Why do I want a bigger back?   Josh.

If the Bills had a Leonard Fournette or Jonathan Taylor (both weigh 228lbs) in the backfield there would be no reason to keep risking Josh Allen as our "get the 1st down" back.

We have plenty of playmakers in Diggs, Gabe, Knox, Crowder, McKenzie, etc.    We didn't desperately "need" a scat back who can catch out of the backfield as much as we need to protect Josh. 

Obviously last year, and this year so far, the coaches aren't relying on Singletary or Moss (or Cook) to pick up a first down on those 3rd & 2.   Too many times it is Josh. 

Draft prospects 2023

Raheim Sanders, RB, Arkansas (6-2, 227lbs)
Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas (6-0, 220 pounds)
Zach Evans, RB, Ole Miss (6-0, 215 pounds)
Tank Bigsby, RB, Auburn (6-0, 213 pounds)
Chris Rodriguez, RB, Kentucky (5-11, 224 pounds)
Zach Charbonnet, RB,  UCLA (6-1, 220 pounds)

James Cook, RB, Buffalo (5-11, 190 pounds)

The issue is the Bills can’t spend top dollar at every position so they have to “Sacrifice” a bit and RB is the position which most teams do in the NFL. I just think they should just draft one every year and never resign one. Unless the find that Marshall Faulk receiver type back. Even then it’s a big risk.

3 hours ago, Zan186 said:

Right now Singletary is fine as a feature back.  They have Saffold and Dawkins on the left side opening up holes for him and Brown on the Ride side to seal off the right side to run off tackle.  

Cook should only be handed the ball 1 out of 20 touches just to fool the defense or to keep them honest.  Cook was drafted to be a Kamara type RB.  His job is to chip block and release into the flat and catch the ball.  He can also line up in the slot to catch the ball.  HE IS NOT A RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES Rb!!!

The Bills shopping list/draft list for 2023 is : C/G (interior Linemen) as Morris needs depth and is getting older.  Saffold is 34, so need to groom replacement guys on offensive line.  

Yes a big Featured RB like Henry or Harris would make the Bills absolutely scary to play against.   The defense looks solid all the way around.  If the Salary Cap moves up and we can keep our players we should do extremely well for years to come.  

I think the cook-Kamara comparison is completely over blown. Cook is more like a less athletic/explosive Jamal Charles IMO.  I think Cook is a lesser inside runner but more of a receiver compared to Charles.

Cook fits well in a zone scheme as a change of pace/receiving back.

I would prefer a bigger back who has some straight line speed. I wouldn't mind moss if he wasn't so slow.

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

Singletary looks to be continuing his good form from late last season so im hopeful for that....Again why is Moss still here....they should of got another vet RB to replace this fool....Still dont agree with getting a RB in the first round...I have bad memories of CJ Spiller...what a flop of a pick that was....

I just feel we have 1a, 1b for backs and no real speed/juke threat in the backfield.  Devon's a lower the shoulder back and we need someone else that complement's his skills by being a bit different - quicker, more elusive and can be a threat running or catching a pass or option/pitch out of the backfield and make players miss.  Moss is sort of that back, but isn't a real threat.  He's good, but nothing special.  

On 9/12/2022 at 10:02 PM, Crazy Legs said:

We may have to dip into the Free Agent market as an option.

Big backs are more scarce in the draft.   But if you want a Jonathan Taylor, he was a high 2nd round pick.

The Bills tried to get back into the first round to get Taylor.