How many recessions have there been where unemployment was below 4%?

How many jobs are people working to keep their heads above water? How many people have given up looking for work? How many people are under employed or employed part time or in the unstable gig economy (Uber, Doordarshan, grubhub). . . ? No, this is not a slam on Biden, I ask this question about every president regardless of what faction of the uniparty they belong to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herodotus said:

How many jobs are people working to keep their heads above water? How many people have given up looking for work? How many people are under employed or employed part time or in the unstable gig economy (Uber, Doordarshan, grubhub). . . ? No, this is not a slam on Biden, I ask this question about every president regardless of what faction of the uniparty they belong to.

I am wondering the same thing. In all honesty I am not sure if we are in a receipt not. It is strange times for sure. I am not trying to brag but I am not really feeling like I am in a worse spot than a year ago. Your points are good points and I think the lower middle class and down are feeling the squeeze. 

1 minute ago, TonyasTaters said:

I am wondering the same thing. In all honesty I am not sure if we are in a receipt not. It is strange times for sure. I am not trying to brag but I am not really feeling like I am in a worse spot than a year ago. Your points are good points and I think the lower middle class and down are feeling the squeeze. 

because I have a decent union job I have done pretty well through all of this.  The 401k is doing okay and I still have 25 to 30 years for it to go one way or another and I have some money in the bank for a rainy too.  However, I think lots of people will say we are in an inflationary economy and living costs are surging and so are shortages.  

4 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

because I have a decent union job I have done pretty well through all of this.  The 401k is doing okay and I still have 25 to 30 years for it to go one way or another and I have some money in the bank for a rainy too.  However, I think lots of people will say we are in an inflationary economy and living costs are surging and so are shortages.  

Just now, TonyasTaters said:

I am in the same boat as I have another 25 years. I am looking at is I am buying stocks on the cheap right now in hopes we will see the stock market make a comeback. I have 2 kids 12 and 9 so it does get expensive but I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. I am not rich but I am doing well. It could  be worse.

2 hours ago, Herodotus said:

People have been working two jobs and have had a need for multiple income streams for over a generation. Quite probably due to 90% of US Workers not being unionized

• Like 1

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

21 minutes ago, HipKat said:

People have been working two jobs and have had a need for multiple income streams for over a generation. Quite probably due to 90% of US Workers not being unionized

Remember the Simpsons and the Bundies in the late 80s? Basically a working class schmuck (so long as he did not live in upper crust areas of Chicago or along the coasts) could still afford a home, one or two cars in the garage, and have a wife who stayed home and raise two or three kids on one income.  Not sure how the Bundies managed it, but if Al bought the house in the mid 70s (Kelly and Bud were middle school kids IIRC) it's possible he could have managed it, but anyways back in the 80s a working class stiff could afford a decent life for himself and his family on one income.  That is inconceivable today and it's a fucking tragedy. 

1 minute ago, Herodotus said:

Remember the Simpsons and the Bundies in the late 80s? Basically a working class schmuck (so long as he did not live in upper crust areas of Chicago or along the coasts) could still afford a home, one or two cars in the garage, and have a wife who stayed home and raise two or three kids on one income.  Not sure how the Bundies managed it, but if Al bought the house in the mid 70s (Kelly and Bud were middle school kids IIRC) it's possible he could have managed it, but anyways back in the 80s a working class stiff could afford a decent life for himself and his family on one income.  That is inconceivable today and it's a fucking tragedy. 

Honestly I am seeing the reverse. Everyone I know is buying new cars quite often. The prices keep going up. Both my neighbors work at dealerships one as a GM and the other as a sales manager at different stores. They both say car buying hasn’t slowed down at all… I just don’t get it… How  are these $60-$80k vehicles selling like hotcakes. Houses are the same way still! I believe there is a slow down coming there almost has to be but it hasn’t happened yet. Btw I see the Amazon truck circling the neighborhood several times a day…

3 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

Honestly I am seeing the reverse. Everyone I know is buying new cars quite often. The prices keep going up. Both my neighbors work at dealerships one as a GM and the other as a sales manager at different stores. They both say car buying hasn’t slowed down at all… I just don’t get it… How  are these $60-$80k vehicles selling like hotcakes. Houses are the same way still! I believe there is a slow down coming there almost has to be but it hasn’t happened yet. Btw I see the Amazon truck circling the neighborhood several times a day…

We live in an era where people want to put on an image of being successful and keeping up with their neighbors/peers, even if it means being over-extended

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

Seek help. soflabillsfan

18 minutes ago, HipKat said:

We live in an era where people want to put on an image of being successful and keeping up with their neighbors/peers, even if it means being over-extended

This has been the trend since the 70s, living outside your means, and buying today what you will so dearly pay for tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, HipKat said:

We live in an area? Are we neighbors? Lol 

15 minutes ago, TonyasTaters said:

We live in an area? Are we neighbors? Lol 

That says era. Get your eyes checked

Seek help. soflabillsfan