Is the System Broken, or Was it Designed that Way?

Herodotus

Except for the hilariously unfortunate Hillary Clinton, who was the most cynically system candidate in living memory, politicians and prospective politicians love trying to get votes by saying, "the system is broken." This leads to my question, is it? Is it really?  I mean lets not kid ourselves, this country was founded as an exercise in tax evasion.  When the tax frauds . . .  uh sorry. . . . "founding fathers" won the war for independence against Great Britain and called it a "revolution" they quickly found out that a small government where people had lots of freedom didn't work.  See Shay's Rebellion, where the American economic and power elites who won their war against Great Britain decided that under no circumstances should they allow for poor farmers and the hoi polloi to not pay their debts.  After getting Washington to brutally stamp out this rebellion, the moneyed gathered in Philadelphia to hammer out a new constitution that would protect their interests.  They may not have wanted a strong central government, but they saw it as a necessary evil so they could trade, sell goods to various other states, and make money.  All the while, they decided the new government should work for them.

Buh Gibby, you could vote! Well yeah, if you were White, property or money holding male, you could vote. . . . For one house. . . . That was checked by the Senate that was elected by the state legislature and made up of the wealthy and affluent.  You also could not directly elect a president, its why we still have the electoral college and there is always talk of faithless electors because well they cared so much about your vote that they made sure that if they didn't like it, it didn't count.  The courts? Heh, isn't it fun that 7 and then later 9 and now perhaps maybe 13 or 15 (the constitution is silent on the number) can make so very many rulings that affect you and there isn't shit you can really do about it?  

Buh buh buh Gibby, we have the Bill of rights and stuff.  Oh sure, we do, but really since the Alien and Sedition Act of the Adams Administration we see that it doesn't have that much power.  The second Amendment, you you silly you you think that gives you the right to own a gun? Bzzzz, wrong answer mother fucker, read the arguments over that one and you will see you and me were never supposed to get a gun.  However, keep dreaming if you want.  That was a compromise to southern gentry so they could protect their right to slavery, yeah the Secessionists did get that one right.  

Buh buh gibby, so what? After the civil war this country became what the founders wanted, a free country where there is no slavery (read the fourteenth Amendment all the way through, and lemme know when you see the loophole and then look at our world leading incarceration rates and then take a gander at who makes up the largest percentage of our incarcerated and then maybe the light bulb will begin to flicker on.  As for the right to vote? That's nice, but remember when they exercised that they were quite literally shot down.

Buh Gibby come on man, that was before 1965.  Well yeah, but look at all the mess we have seen since then.

So no no, the system isn't broken.  Its working exactly the way its supposed to.  The economic and power elites are doing wonderful and the rest of us have about as much say in the government as we did when the constitution was ratified in 1789.  It ain't broken it was designed that way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpikedLemonade said:

It is sad conclusion however you are correct.

I am seeking change and revolution in this country.  I want a peaceful revolution through the ballot box and legislation, but I realize that is going to be a very long term project as a grass roots political system that is ideologically disciplined, well led, organized, and secure from bribery and meddling by the corporate military industrial police state has got to be established first.  The first step to that first step is to make it known that the system didn't break down.  The system is working exactly how its intended.  

• Like 1