The Proper & Creative Way to Insult Another Poster -- A Selection of Virginia Woolf’s Most Savage Insults

A Selection of Virginia Woolf’s Most Savage Insults

Moments that remind us how certain people really should have been afraid of Virginia Woolf, because she was full of epic—and sometimes kind of horrible and classist—insults.

Almost 60 years ago, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? premiered. Instead of doing the usual content about Edward Albee, I thought I’d serve up a different (extremely cold) take: a brief and incomplete selection of moments that remind us how certain people really should have been afraid of Virginia Woolf, because she was full of epic—and sometimes kind of horrible and classist—insults. Writers, of course, make the worst enemies. Oh well, at least we can make ourselves feel a little bit better by reading all of the very mean things Woolf wrote in her diary about other people. You don’t even have to feel guilty for gossiping, because everyone in question is dead. Onward, street-walking civet cats:

(1) “Pale, marmoreal [T.S.] Eliot was there last week, like a chapped office boy on a high stool, with a cold in his head, until he warms a little, which he did.” From a diary entry, February 16, 1921

(2) On Freud: “A screwed up shrunk very old man: with a monkey’s light eyes, paralysed spasmodic movements, inarticulate: but alert.” From a diary entry, January 29, 1939

“I am reading Point Counter Point [by Aldous Huxley]. Not a good novel. All raw, uncooked, protesting.” From a diary entry, January 23rd, 1935

(3) “I have read 200 pages [of Ulysses] so far—not a third; and have been amused, stimulated, charmed, interested, by the first 2 or 3 chapters—to the end of the cemetery scene; and then puzzled, bored, irritated and disillusioned by a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples. And Tom, great Tom, thinks this is on par with War and Peace! An illiterate, underbred book it seems to me; the book of a self taught working man, and we all know how distressing they are, how egotistic, insistent, raw, striking, and ultimately nauseating. When one can have the cooked flesh, why have the raw? But I think if you are anaemic, as Tom is, there is a glory in blood. Being fairly normal myself I am soon ready for the classics again.” From a diary entry, August 16th, 1922....

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-selection-of-virginia-woolf-s-most-savage-insults?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB&fbclid=IwAR3b-7U01OVM3chyrUo7u1WHE2eGgh-YTV01YesuUsWg0qetnhbPI2OzmT4

BE BEST

NO ASSHOLE

image.thumb.png.80b648adf47d8315fd954205cbf5362f.png

• Poop 1

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE

Oh the sheer beauty of Mom jokes.

Have you noticed that I NEVER make Mom jokes JC?

Surely you expect I know a lot of them.

I don't make Mom jokes here out of the respect of the mothers of Hero/Gibby and most of the Trump Fluffers here who still live with their Moms.

Their Moms have it tough already.

They don't need me to make fun of them for raising such shitty sons.

Do Your Part to Improve The Range -- Please put the TRIO OF TRUMP FLUFFERSTM  on IGNORE