Jump to content

Watershed moment in NYC: New law allows noncitizens to vote


HipKat
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, LIBills said:

Isn't an illegal immigrant from Europe the same as an illegal immigrant from Mexico?

Neither belong here, so what's the fucking difference to these scumbags, right?

 

6 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Sure did. A Commie is still Commie no matter what their skin color but if they happen to have a darker shade of skin you can't criticize them lest you be accused of racism. Did I get it right?

Yes. You got it right. 
 

but you knew that already.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, 212frawk said:

Well, that gives even less of a claim to need to vote in a local election.  You will be gone in a short time, certainly longer than the duration of the office you just voted for/against.  Green card holders are here for the long haul.

So, one more time 

What is the problem or do just object without a meaningful reason to do so?

You said you were on the fence to start. Then you seem to have talked yourself into it by minimizing what they are voting for by saying “dog catcher”. Well to me voting for mayor of NYC is a pretty big thing. Now talking yourself into letting them vote for Governor isn’t that large of a leap and than President. Like I said, I personally think it’s a bad thing. But, then again, I thought defunding the police was an bad idea, so what do I know? 

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NYC should invite people like me to vote.  With my native intelligence and geopolitical mastery, my vote could help them select a better government 

Actually, they should just pay me to select all of their elected officials. 

  • Penis 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

to me voting for mayor of NYC is a pretty big thing

lol voting for mayor is a big thing?  what's the percentage of eligible voters that are bothered to vote at all?..... let's have a look

 

A smaller percentage of New York City voters turned out in the November 2021 general election than in any other mayoral election in nearly seven decades. That’s based on final election results certified by the New York City Board of Elections on Tuesday compared with annual turnout figures reported by the agency dating back to 1953.

Just 23% of eligible active voters cast a ballot for mayor — or 1.15 million of 4.95 active voters — down three percentage points from the past two mayoral elections in 2017 and 2013. The voter turnout percentage dips even lower, to 21%, when including both active and so-called inactive registered voters. Those are voters who are registered but must cast an affidavit ballot because the Board of Elections has a question about their residence.

so most NYers cant even be bothered with voting for mayor. 

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

You said you were on the fence to start.

I was on the fence. and then i did this really weird thing.  I thought about it and got off the fence in favor of voting privelidges for green card holders.  yea i know, that's fucked up but that's just me.

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

talking yourself into letting them vote for Governor isn’t that large of a leap and than President

I already deep sixed this theory but if you need me to say it again, NP!  I only favor these rights for green card holders in local elections.  not for state. Not for federal.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 212frawk said:

lol voting for mayor is a big thing?  what's the percentage of eligible voters that are bothered to vote at all?..... let's have a look

A smaller percentage of New York City voters turned out in the November 2021 general election than in any other mayoral election in nearly seven decades. That’s based on final election results certified by the New York City Board of Elections on Tuesday compared with annual turnout figures reported by the agency dating back to 1953.

Just 23% of eligible active voters cast a ballot for mayor — or 1.15 million of 4.95 active voters — down three percentage points from the past two mayoral elections in 2017 and 2013. The voter turnout percentage dips even lower, to 21%, when including both active and so-called inactive registered voters. Those are voters who are registered but must cast an affidavit ballot because the Board of Elections has a question about their residence.

so most NYers cant even be bothered with voting for mayor. 

I was on the fence. and then i did this really weird thing.  I thought about it and got off the fence in favor of voting privelidges for green card holders.  yea i know, that's fucked up but that's just me.

I already deep sixed this theory but if you need me to say it again, NP!  I only favor these rights for green card holders in local elections.  not for state. Not for federal.

Bill DeBlasio was going toe to toe with Cuomo during Covid and was one of Cuomo’s biggest enemies as his scandals mounted. He probably was the 2nd loudest voices in NY state during this period. Who else would have been above him? Maybe Schumer? So don’t tell me mayor if NYC is no big thing.  But, who cares about if non-citizens are voting for small potato races like “dog catcher” and NYC mayor, right? You’re fooling yourself if you think this is where this ends. 

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nuke said:

 You’re fooling yourself if you think this is where this ends. 

No I am not.  It's not even clear that it will survive at the local level since about 50 different groups have sued to stop it.  But NYC local law will have sweet fuckall to do with any changes to state and federal election law.  Shit, congress can't even fix the fucked up state electors law that is ancient and totally flawed.

4 minutes ago, Nuke said:

don’t tell me mayor if NYC is no big thing

I didnt, I said most people treat it like its no big thing cause the vast majority of eligible voters couldnt be bothered to vote.  I bet the % of green card holders that would vote would dwarf citizens who are to fat and lazy to get off the couch to vote

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 212frawk said:

No I am not.  It's not even clear that it will survive at the local level since about 50 different groups have sued to stop it.  But NYC local law will have sweet fuckall to do with any changes to state and federal election law.  Shit, congress can't even fix the fucked up state electors law that is ancient and totally flawed.

I didnt, I said most people treat it like its no big thing cause the vast majority of eligible voters couldnt be bothered to vote.  I bet the % of green card holders that would vote would dwarf citizens who are to fat and lazy to get off the couch to vote

It’s a test at the local level to even see if they can pull it off. If they can, others will try. I do agree that state election laws are ancient and flawed. I know there’s not usually a big turnout for many non-Presidential elections. That doesn’t mean that those aren’t important positions and that non-citizens should be able to decide who wins. Look bottom line if they want a say in the future of this  country, become a citizen and then vote for your beliefs 

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...