Watershed moment in NYC: New law allows noncitizens to vote

HipKat

2 minutes ago, 212frawk said:

That's the wrong analogy, since you would be there on a visa, not on their equivalent of a green card that gives a foreign national the right to stay here forever.  A green card holder is citizenship-lite.  Most of the same privileges as a citizen except to vote in state and national elections.  

So, is there a problem created or you object just because..... 

That’s BS. First of all I’m not there on a Visa. I’ve work there in the past and never needed a visa. I would be paying the same state and local taxes as the immigrants. I’m staying in the city just like the immigrants. Give me the same right to vote for mayor as the immigrants.

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

5 minutes ago, Nuke said:

I’ve work there in the past and never needed a visa.

Well, that gives even less of a claim to need to vote in a local election.  You will be gone in a short time, certainly longer than the duration of the office you just voted for/against.  Green card holders are here for the long haul.

So, one more time 

What is the problem or do just object without a meaningful reason to do so?

9 minutes ago, 212frawk said:

Well, that gives even less of a claim to need to vote in a local election.  You will be gone in a short time, certainly longer than the duration of the office you just voted for/against.  Green card holders are here for the long haul.

So, one more time 

What is the problem or do just object without a meaningful reason to do so?

If the Republicans in NYC don't like it, they should move!

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

4 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

If the Republicans in NYC don't like it, they should move!

They have been, haven't you seen the numbers? NY leads in people fleeing the state.

• Like 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

3 hours ago, 212frawk said:

still waiting for you to give a good example of what problem this creates, other than you seem paranoid about mexicans.  How come a legal, tax paying brit isnt your example?

Shouldnt the legal people that pay taxes have a say in who influences their local lives?  What's the dif between holding a green card and a being an admitted citizen other than some stupid paperwork?  

So, you think paying taxes should be the criteria for who is allowed to vote? I don’t. Even for the local dog catcher.

Being a citizen should mean something.

If, for whatever reason, you aren’t interested in joining our club, you don’t get certain “privileges”. We allow you to make a living here, even allow some of that money to leave the country. 

and the slippery slope thingy does apply with shit like this. Sorry, but lawyers and pols use precedence when pushing the envelope. It’s what they do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jc856 said:

you think paying taxes should be the criteria for who is allowed to vote

I said it is one of the criteria, the others being you are here, legally, on a permanent basis and the right is strictly local.  You or anyone else opposing this have yet to identify the problem this creates, other than someone that has the same things at stake as a "citizen" shouldnt get to have a say in the people that directly affect their lives.

If, for whatever reason, you aren’t interested in joining our club

who said they weren't interest in "joining the club".  Maybe they have family living from where ever they came from that would be negatively impacted by losing their foreign citizenship. regardless, they are in every other way the same as you.

the slippery slope thingy does apply with shit like this

it absolutely does NOT set a precedent that can affect voting rights at the state or federal level.  all 50 states have independent voting laws, many of them quite different from one state to the next.  If there were a slippery slope, that wouldnt be the case. so no, youre just flat out wrong.

and still no one can tell me what harm comes from someone voting who is a full fledged member of the community in which they vote. 

47 minutes ago, 212frawk said:

full fledged member of the community

Yes. Everything but taking the exam and pledging allegiance to the country, I guess. Not quite full-fledged, really, but whatev.

is there a reason you think this is a good thing? What reason are you advocating for this? Just curious.

in the grand scheme of things, I hardly care. Just trying to generate a counter-argument to your advocacy.

1 hour ago, SackMan518 said:

They have been, haven't you seen the numbers? NY leads in people fleeing the state.

Wasn’t Duhblahzio begging the rich to come back from Long Island?*

*I know that’s still NY

41 minutes ago, jc856 said:

Yes. Everything but taking the exam and pledging allegiance to the country, I guess. Not quite full-fledged, really, but whatev.

is there a reason you think this is a good thing? What reason are you advocating for this? Just curious.

in the grand scheme of things, I hardly care. Just trying to generate a counter-argument to your advocacy.

I originally said I was on the fence but the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe there's nothing wrong with it.  Its just local for ppl that are in every other way the same as the guy sitting next to them on the subway.

No one has come up with any example of the harm that is allegedly created.

46 minutes ago, jc856 said:

Wasn’t Duhblahzio begging the rich to come back from Long Island?*

*I know that’s still NY

DeCommio is gone, now we have the African-American DeCommio light - Eric Adams. Well, I didn't vote for him and I'm not a resident of the city so they reap what they sow.

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

Up until the early 1920’s it wasn’t uncommon for non-citizens to be allowed to vote. 

im not saying this new movement is good or bad but helping put into context that our current citizenship requirements have been around for less time than the country is old. 

16 hours ago, 212frawk said:

I originally said I was on the fence but the more I thought about it, the more I came to believe there's nothing wrong with it.  Its just local for ppl that are in every other way the same as the guy sitting next to them on the subway.

No one has come up with any example of the harm that is allegedly created.

Tucker Carlson already told them what the harm is. The "Great Replacement" of "white voters". 

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

1 hour ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Tucker Carlson already told them what the harm is. The "Great Replacement" of "white voters". 

The previous move in the early 1900’s to restrict non-citizens from voting was driven for the most part due to a wave of Nationalism. The old we can’t let “them” vote attitude 

4 minutes ago, foster said:

The previous move in the early 1900’s to restrict non-citizens from voting was driven for the most part due to a wave of Nationalism. The old we can’t let “them” vote attitude 

We are seeing history repeat itself, that's for sure. The nationalists in the US have rebranded as "patriots".

• Penis 1

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

Now NYC is getting sued.  :niterider:

New York City Sued for Giving Voting Rights to Nearly 1M Foreign Nationals

GettyImages-1251542701-1-640x480-640x480

The New York State Republican Party, naturalized American citizens, and a Democrat city councilman have filed a lawsuit against New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) over a new policy that gives voting rights to nearly a million foreign nationals.

As Breitbart News has chronicled, Democrats on the 51-member New York City Council approved a plan last month that allows more than 800,000 foreign nationals with green cards, visas, and work permits the opportunity to vote in citywide elections so long as they have resided in the city for at least 30 consecutive days.

Adams approved the plan this week, allowing it to become New York City policy.

Now, the New York State Republican Party and others have filed a lawsuit to prevent the policy from going into effect, arguing that the state’s constitution makes it explicitly clear that voting rights are reserved only for American citizens and not foreign nationals.

“We vowed to use every legal tool in our arsenal to block this unconstitutional and un-American law, and that’s exactly what we’re doing,” New York Republican Chairman Nick Langworthy said in a statement:

The law is clear and the ethics are even clearer: We shouldn’t be allowing citizens of other nations to vote in our elections, full stop. We are only two weeks into the Adams administration and he is already kowtowing to the radical City Council. This lawsuit is the only thing that will stop them from their ultimate goal of eradicating all the lines between citizens and non-citizens. [Emphasis added]

Likewise, Staten Island Borough President Vito Fossella said, “the right to vote is one of our most sacred privileges and obligations” as American citizens.

“Allowing 800,000 non-citizens, including those who have been here for less than thirty days, to vote in local elections is a slap in the face of every single American citizen, whether born or naturalized,” Fossella said. “This unconstitutional act cheapens what it means to be a citizen and is an insult to every immigrant who has followed the law, taken citizenship classes, and swore an oath to our nation.”

Aside from a number of Republican plaintiffs, naturalized American citizens and Democrat city councilman Robert Holden are among those suing Adams for the policy.

As Breitbart News has noted, the plan has the potential to massively influence local elections while diluting the votes of American citizens in the city. In June, for instance, Adams (D) won the Democrat mayoral primary by less than 7,200 votes.

Likewise, as Councilman Rev. Ruben Diaz (D-Bronx) has noted, the plan is set to dilute the votes of the city’s citizens while shifting electoral power to foreign nationals with ties to the United Nations, Wall Street, and the global financial system.

The case is Fossella v. Adams in the Supreme Court of Richmond County, New York, which is the name of the trial court in New York’s court system.

LINK

• Like 2

So when people take issue with non citizens having citizen rights like voting, we resort back to the classic dem tactic of saying it's racist? This is mouth breather logic at it's finest.

There's numerous reasons why they shouldn't have the right besides the simplest and most obvious...which is because the constitution only allows US citizens to vote in US elections, FULL STOP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woody said:

foreign nationals with green cards, visas, and work permits the opportunity to vote

That's too broad an application of the right to vote.  Should be limited to green card holders.  

As a permanent resident (Green Card holder), you have the right to:

• Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law
  • Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
  • Be protected by all laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 212frawk said:

Sack says the quiet part out loud

Sure did. A Commie is still Commie no matter what their skin color but if they happen to have a darker shade of skin you can't criticize them lest you be accused of racism. Did I get it right?

• Like 1

Parler @NYexile

10 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

Sure did. A Commie is still Commie no matter what their skin color but if they happen to have a darker shade of skin you can't criticize them lest you be accused of racism. Did I get it right?

Isn't an illegal immigrant from Europe the same as an illegal immigrant from Mexico?

Neither belong here, so what's the fucking difference to these scumbags, right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LIBills said:

Isn't an illegal immigrant from Europe the same as an illegal immigrant from Mexico?

Neither belong here, so what's the fucking difference to these scumbags, right?

This is true. If one day Lithuanians started illegally pouring across our border illegally I'd feel the same way.

• Like 2

Parler @NYexile

6 hours ago, Philly'sFinest said:

So when people take issue with non citizens having citizen rights like voting, we resort back to the classic dem tactic of saying it's racist? This is mouth breather logic at it's finest.

There's numerous reasons why they shouldn't have the right besides the simplest and most obvious...which is because the constitution only allows US citizens to vote in US elections, FULL STOP.

Well, the Constitution leaves it up to the states so by defacto if the states don't allow non-citizens to vote, then the Constitution doesn't either. No states allow non-citizens to vote as far as I know. Some local municipalities may?? I just hope they don't. 

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

39 minutes ago, HipKat said:

Well, the Constitution leaves it up to the states so by defacto if the states don't allow non-citizens to vote, then the Constitution doesn't either. No states allow non-citizens to vote as far as I know. Some local municipalities may?? I just hope they don't. 

You can’t start doing something this radical on as big of a stage as the state level. You need to start small. Normalize it, make it acceptable. Then move to the next level. Either you are okay with this or you’re not. I’m not going to convince any of you that this is pandora’s box. 

• Like 1

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill