Jets release Shaq Lawson

The Jets traded for defensive end Shaq Lawson after losing Carl Lawson to an Achilles tear in the preseason, but they’re back down to one Lawson in the organization on Saturday. The team announced the release of Shaq Lawson ahead of their regular season finale against the Bills. Lawson was under contract for a non-guaranteed [more]

View the full article

Remember when Rex said he'd be awesome? 

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

Quick note.

If a team claims him off of waivers, he is UNELIGIBLE to play in the playoffs.  And that team has to pay him $9 million in 2022.

No one will claim him off waivers.

Once he clears waivers, any team can call him and try to sign him.  

Right now we don't have a lot of injuries on the DLine.   Harrison Phillips and Ed Oliver are playing well inside.  We think Star is back and available.   So our need is not huge.

If Beane can negotiate a  reasonable contract for Shaq to finish out the season for the Bills, and we have no financial commitment for 2022, it is worth exploring as a DEPTH Dlinemen.   Although I don't know how he would fit.

• Like 1

Build the OLine...

16 hours ago, SpikedLemonade said:

Why did the Jets cut him?

#1 reason was his contract salary for 2022.     $9 million dollars.   There was no way they were keeping Shaq for 2022 at that price.   And if Shaq got hurt this week, the Jets would have been on the hook for that whole $9 million since he was injured during the regular season.   

#2 he hasn't been playing that great.   They have barely used him the last 4 weeks.  

I remember when Rex Ryan, who's sons were attending Clemson, he did his own scouting on Shaq Lawson when visiting.  He fell in love with Lawson and wanted him.  DESPITE the shoulder injury they ended up requiring surgery.   Anyhoo, Shaq in the right scheme might have some value....as a backup....and at a backup salary. 

So if Beane can sign him to backup money, Lawson is probably better than a practice squader.   But it is all about the contract.   It has to be in the Bills favor.

• Like 2

Build the OLine...

3 hours ago, Tampabill said:

Wait for him to clear waivers and sign to practice squad.  

Oh, I am sure Shaq Lawson would be delighted to sign to the practice squad. 

(Plus any team that wants him, could sign him off our practice squad)

Build the OLine...

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

According to Sal:

I've been told there is no agreement in place between Shaq Lawson and the Bills at this time. Credit to @KevinMassare and @TrainwreckSprts if Lawson does indeed sign with the Bills eventually. So this is not about them. Just doing my own diligence to let you know.

It would make sense vs New England. They really ran the ball very well against in both games. Especially outside. I said after our victory over them, Josh McDaniels deserves a gameball for going away from the run. Shaq has to be better at holding the edge then what we have .

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

33 minutes ago, bcw said:

According to Sal:

I've been told there is no agreement in place between Shaq Lawson and the Bills at this time. Credit to @KevinMassare and @TrainwreckSprts if Lawson does indeed sign with the Bills eventually. So this is not about them. Just doing my own diligence to let you know.

Who goes inactive in place of him that would have otherwise been active?

6 hours ago, Meathead said:

if this is true its quite a coup by the Bills right at the right time. shaq can play the running downs, especially the short yardage, and hughes/addison play the passing downs. instant upgrade against the run

Yup, don't take it as gospel because we need more sources. 

Parler @NYexile

12 hours ago, Meathead said:

if this is true its quite a coup by the Bills right at the right time. shaq can play the running downs, especially the short yardage, and hughes/addison play the passing downs. instant upgrade against the run

I guess it was fake news.   Or at least premature.

I think Shaq is taking his time and weighing his options for next year.   He doesn't need to sign immediately.   He got his full pay for 2021 (17 game checks). 

Maybe he will sign with Buffalo, but he doesn't need to do it before this Saturday.    

• Like 1

Build the OLine...