Changing the Subject to Goodbye Windows!

HipKat

2 weeks ago, I committed to using Linux, primarily. I've had dual boots with various distros for years. Ubuntu - several times, Mint, Peppermint, some others, too but settled on Manjaro with KDE Plasma. for the last year, I rarely booted into it, other than to update things. I have a 10" Mini Laptop that came with Win 7 I used to load different Distros on (I'm gonna give EndeavorOS a run on it) before setting up the Dual Boot on my Desktop and Manjaro was by FAR the smoothest, fastest and best looking. SInce it's Arch based, commands are different than on the more popular Distros, but easy enough to figure out.

Since I made the commitment to go to Linux full time, it took a few days, but now, I'm here and happy I made the switch. I still boot into Windows for gaming but that's it.

It took some Googling to figure out how to do things in Terminal like take ownership of folders I needed to write into, find a scaled back Terminal other than the default Konsole (I use Kitty now) and things like that but I have a Notepad Widget on my 2nd Monitor I just jot things down on.

The hardest part is learning new names outside of Office (I was already using Libre Office anyway), Windows Explorer, Control Panel etc but having a world of FREE and Open Source options is well worth the learning curve. I even found an open source version of One Note so I can keep syncing all my note pages I use on that app across all platforms and MS Edge (Just better than Firefox) so using the same browser was seamless. Plus, being able to Customize has always been my favorite part of using computers, rooting phones, etc which is just too hard anymore without resource-consuming third-party programs. Not so with Linux. Even having multiple Desktop Environments and switching from one to the other is great!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

1 hour ago, Woody said:

Congratulations.  Windows is going to shitsville so its good that you're taking a liking to Linux.  I use Xubuntu and Kali on a couple of my systems.  :niterider:

I thought about Kali, but it doesn't seem like it'd be a good Daily Driver.. although hacking shit could be fun, Funny thing is, I switch to Windows for Gaming and can't wait to boot back to Linux when I'm done. The one game i play, something in the settings crashes my Monitor - probably the custom resolution -  and I have to open Nvidia Settings on the other one to reconfigure it. If I can get that figured out, I might just Fdisk Windows into oblivion

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

Seek help. soflabillsfan

19 minutes ago, HipKat said:

I thought about Kali, but it doesn't seem like it'd be a good Daily Driver.. although hacking shit could be fun, Funny thing is, I switch to Windows for Gaming and can't wait to boot back to Linux when I'm done. The one game i play, something in the settings crashes my Monitor - probably the custom resolution -  and I have to open Nvidia Settings on the other one to reconfigure it. If I can get that figured out, I might just Fdisk Windows into oblivion

That's par for the course with Linux.  When I gamed on Linux I was always downgrading my driver to play certain games, and then upgrading to play others. :niterider:

6 hours ago, Woody said:

That's par for the course with Linux.  When I gamed on Linux I was always downgrading my driver to play certain games, and then upgrading to play others. :niterider:

I'll have to look at which Driver is installed. This particular game is older and some Nvidia updates on Windows caused issues in the past and had to be rolled back.

Seek help. soflabillsfan