GM just introduced a self-driving car without a steering wheel

LiterateStylish

Sounds like a great way to relieve stress during the commute until you piss off a politician and suddenly it has a malfunction. LOL.

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

eventually all cars will be fully automated. the potential is clearly there for it to be much safer than a human driving. how long it takes them to gain the confidence of enough riders to keep it viable is a different matter

One set of rules for all in The Beloved Community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

can you imagine how much better life is going to be if you dont have to drive?

think of all that time you can suddenly put to work. just reading a book is productive. you could study or work on a computer

its almost here but not quite

One set of rules for all in The Beloved Community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

think of all that time you can suddenly put to work. just reading a book is productive. you could study or work on a computer

Ever been working on your computer and it crashes?

These deathtraps will include a very literal crash at no extra charge.

"Every single day I went out there I tried to have respect for the game and I played as hard as I possibly could." Derek Jeter 9/25/14

Most accidents are caused by some form of human error. I have to imagine if all cars were automated (removing the human problem), there would probably be far fewer accidents. I love driving as much as the next guy. But assuming there's no Skynet-like machine takover.... Computers dont get sleepy, they dont forget to check their blind spot, they dont try to squeeze into a yellow light, they dont think that they only had one beer it's fine.

I don't see is as some horrible thing that has to stop... or something that will end poorly. Probably just the future of things.

I am a Dolphins fan. ;)

I don't doubt the technology is there and will improve over time but...

What about the people who WANT to drive? Don't underestimate the influence of the "car guys" out there. You think the gun rights people are nuts about taking their guns away? That's nothing compared to what will come if anyone threatens to take the privilege of driving away. I'm pretty liberal in most respects, but I will fight for my right to drive...

You really want a computer making a life/death decision while you're in a cylindrical metal tube full of explosive material?

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Just saying... the number of pilots is just a drop in the bucket compared to the number of drivers.

As for driverless cars, I think there is going to need to be a coexistence of drivers and non-drivers at least until my generation is too old to drive.

It is here, they just do all that stuff while they are driving down here in Florida!

A self driving car could get some idiots out from behind the wheel, but if there is still idiots around there will be carnage on the highway. They would have to design a car that can react to when people around them do something real stupid.

You can take the boy out of Buffalo, but you can't take Buffalo out of the boy

It's going to be amusing watching all of the people freak out about this under the delusion that their distracted, exhausted and sometimes drunk brain is better equipped driving a car than a computer. On that note, I'm getting a Tesla Model S in April and I can't wait to have it drive me and my girlfriend home after dinner and wine ;-)

billieve.jpg