SabresAllTheWay

SalSpeak: What should the Bills do in the first round?

They should go to the message boards to figure it out--maybe then they could get players on the field instead of walking wounded--over the years posters mock drafts turned out better than the actual draft in most cases--even mine--and I was pissed when we took A. Williams over Kaepernick--the next year I thought I was a genius--not so much now--although Kaep could still be able to play if anyone wanted to see social injustice protests on Sundays--anyway I will be posting my mock in my sig soon--love playing fantasy GM--see how I do against the Bills brain trust.

Draft wish list:

1-WR Corey Davis Western Michigan--pick 5 Titans

2-S Obi Melifonwu Connecticut--2nd round--pick 56 Raiders

3-CB Cordrea Tankersley Clemson--3rd round--pick 97 Dolphins

5-LB Connor Harris Lindenwood--undrafted--picked up by Jets

5-OL Conor McDermott UCLA--6th round--pick 211 Patriots-claimed off waivers by Bills

6-QB Chad Kelly Ole Miss--Mr irrelevant--Broncos

To me it comes down to two positions at 10:

Safety - Micah Hyde was a good signing, he isn't a superstar like Sal said but he is a decent mid tier signing. Jordan Poyer was a nice addition for STs depth and potential to fill in as a safety if needed but ideally (in an ideal world) Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker in MY MIND is still the best case scenario. Hyde can play nickel corner so Poyer and Hooker/Adams could all be on the field at the same time.

Wide receiver - John Ross is a stud, everybody wants the big guys like Mike Williams or Corey Davis but I think John Ross is pound for pound the best wide receiver in the draft. If Hooker and Adams are gone, I go with John Ross or Christian McCaffery. It's not the popular opinion but these two receivers I like the most. Christian McCaffery can play RB, WR, return man.

*Quarterback - Not ruling this out. I like Mahomes in a trade down situation but in an ideal world we draft either Hooker, Adams, McCaffery or Ross. Those are my guys.

Hooker or Adams at 10 would be excellent. Also open to Davis or Williams. Would also love a trade down.

If they somehow land one of the top 2 safeties at 10, and get Zay Jones in round 2, I'd be thrilled.

If they can trade down, that'd be ideal. I see no blue chip prospect falling to #10. They all have some question marks, so might as well get extra picks in the first three rounds.

If they can't move back, then there's going to be several prospects worth the 10th pick, even though they're not sure shots: one of Hooker, Adams, Peppers, Davis, Williams or Foster will surely be there. Just don't draft a QB at #10, not one of them is worth it in this class.

Trade down.

You increase your odds of getting lucky.

Plus, it will help the cap in the long run. The more draft picks on your roster, under stable 4 year contracts, the better your cap.

Build the OLine...

Personally, I'd love to trade down, especially if they can get an extra 2nd minimum for their trouble. They are right in that range that teams like to trade up to.

To me it comes down to two positions at 10:

Safety - Micah Hyde was a good signing, he isn't a superstar like Sal said but he is a decent mid tier signing. Jordan Poyer was a nice addition for STs depth and potential to fill in as a safety if needed but ideally (in an ideal world) Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker in MY MIND is still the best case scenario. Hyde can play nickel corner so Poyer and Hooker/Adams could all be on the field at the same time.

Wide receiver - John Ross is a stud, everybody wants the big guys like Mike Williams or Corey Davis but I think John Ross is pound for pound the best wide receiver in the draft. If Hooker and Adams are gone, I go with John Ross or Christian McCaffery. It's not the popular opinion but these two receivers I like the most. Christian McCaffery can play RB, WR, return man.

*Quarterback - Not ruling this out. I like Mahomes in a trade down situation but in an ideal world we draft either Hooker, Adams, McCaffery or Ross. Those are my guys.

I tend to think the same way in terms of picking a pass catcher or a DB. That would fill the biggest needs. But I really hope that Whaley/McDermott don't think that way. They need to have the balls to take the best player and look beyond need. Let need break ties only.

It would be a typical Bills thing to do to draft a WR because of need who ends up being okay and then watch a guy like Reuben Foster go a few picks later and become an all pro.

Yes we need WR and DB but I think that the argument can be made that any number of positions could make us better if we gained an elite player.

I want to look back 3 years from now and say "we made the best possible choice with that pick". Not feel like we missed out to fill a need.

I tend to think the same way in terms of picking a pass catcher or a DB. That would fill the biggest needs. But I really hope that Whaley/McDermott don't think that way. They need to have the balls to take the best player and look beyond need. Let need break ties only.

It would be a typical Bills thing to do to draft a WR because of need who ends up being okay and then watch a guy like Reuben Foster go a few picks later and become an all pro.

Yes we need WR and DB but I think that the argument can be made that any number of positions could make us better if we gained an elite player.

I want to look back 3 years from now and say "we made the best possible choice with that pick". Not feel like we missed out to fill a need.

I do think that Adams, Hooker, McCaffery and Ross will be legitimate players at the next level while filling a position of need. I could be wrong though.

Hooker at 10 or trade down. I think he's gone by then.

Would love a trade down and Obi in the mid to late first.

Captain of the Bills Family First Adoption Team.

Steve Johnson is my Adopted BFF Team Member.

If you agree that ONE player will not turn an 8-8 team into a 11-5 playoff team, the best move in the 1st round is something that will help the Bills franchise long term.

That is trading down and getting more picks. But i understand if Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams falls to 10 and Whaley wants to pull the trigger. It is hard to turn away players you think will be great NFL players.

But if we want to make the playoffs in 2018, and 2019, and 2020, we need a lot more than one safety. We need more WRs. We need defensive players to fit the new Sean McDermott dee. Especially pass rushers, Linebackers and DBs.

As we go forward we need to replace Richie Incognito, Kyle Williams, probably Tyrod, maybe Sammy Watkins, so the more picks the better.

Build the OLine...