Topas

Stadium plans thread 137

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has people talking about a new NFL stadium for the Buffalo Bills, even as Ralph Wilson Stadium takes on $130 million worth of renovations in time for next season.

As part of the Bills’ new 10-year lease signed in December 2012 to remain at the league’s fifth-oldest venue (not counting the completely renovated Soldier Field), the team agreed to a $400 million relocation penalty and the state not only signed on to share the costs on renovations for the Orchard Park facility, but also offered to consider the idea of a new stadium.

Now we have a New Stadium Working Group doing just that.

With Cuomo appointing five members to the group on Monday, according to The Buffalo News, expect Erie County and the Bills to offer up additional members as the new committee starts the task of figuring out just how a new stadium could spur on economic growth for the greater Buffalo region. And all without being a major drain to Bills’ owners and taxpayers.

With new NFL stadiums hovering close to—and some plenty over—the $1 billion mark, Buffalo isn’t exactly a prime candidate for the investment. The Bills already struggle to sell-out the 73,000-seat stadium that opened in 1973. And they only play seven home games there...

Full version on SI.com:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/11/buffalo-bills-new-stadium/

Proud adopter of #16 Robert Foster and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Eightyfive percents

Downtown, Retractable roof, but open-air like the Seattle Mariners stadium or go with no roof, but cover the majority of the seats.

I realize a new stadium is necessary for the future of the franchise but with changes to tailgating rules, the increase in ticket price and season ticket seat license fees a new stadium could hurt the fans more than we realize.

At this point the tickets are cheap and there isn't a better party to be found but if the tickets double in price and tailgating is no longer allowed many of the current season ticket holders may find other ways to spend their money.

At this point the tickets are cheap and there isn't a better party to be found but if the tickets double in price and tailgating is no longer allowed many of the current season ticket holders may find other ways to spend their money.

Nobody wants a huge increase in ticket prices, like tripling. However, maybe a new stadium and a moderate increase in price could be a good thing (for some people). It matters on how you look at it:

If you want the 'best party for the money', you aren't going to be happy with a new stadium and the increased prices.

On the other hand, if you are someone who plays plenty of money for Sabres games, you might be willing to pay less for Bills Season tickets (although for less games) if you knew you were going to be abel to watch a game in a comfortable stadium (not 35 degrees and raining in November) with a little less rowdy crowd.

I personally know more poeple in the latter category than the former. I have friends that used to have season tickets with me who havne't been to a game in years. They like the Bills better than the Sabres, but go to many times more games just because they don't want to deal with the uncertainty of the elements and the problems in the crowd.

Nobody wants a huge increase in ticket prices, like tripling. However, maybe a new stadium and a moderate increase in price could be a good thing (for some people). It matters on how you look at it:

If you want the 'best party for the money', you aren't going to be happy with a new stadium and the increased prices.

On the other hand, if you are someone who plays plenty of money for Sabres games, you might be willing to pay less for Bills Season tickets (although for less games) if you knew you were going to be abel to watch a game in a comfortable stadium (not 35 degrees and raining in November) with a little less rowdy crowd.

I personally know more poeple in the latter category than the former. I have friends that used to have season tickets with me who havne't been to a game in years. They like the Bills better than the Sabres, but go to many times more games just because they don't want to deal with the uncertainty of the elements and the problems in the crowd.

I agree that a new stadium caters to a different clientele, which I am a part of.

While I enjoy going to a game every few years, it just isn't enjoyable for me to be out in the cold all day, especially when the Bills are losing. I also would like the opportunity to take my son to games like I did when I was a kid. A few less drunk idiots would be nice.