1968_bills_fan

How much do AFC teams pay their starting free safety?

How much do teams pay for a free safety? Cap hit number for 2013 in millions from Spot Trac for the starting free safety. These are to the nearest tenth million dollars. It is hard to compare contract actual costs fairly because there are several parameters- not all of which are real. There is guaranteed

7 money, bonus money, unconfirmed salary for years that will never be seen and the like.

$ 6.9 Bills...............Jaris Byrd

$ 2.8 Fish..................Criss Clemons

$ 1.9 Pats.............McCourty

$ 0.4 Jets...............Reed

===================

$2.2 Ravens..... Matt Elan

$4.1 Bengals..... Reggie Nelson

$0.5 Browns....Tashan Gipson

$4.8 Steelers….Ryan Clark

===================

$0.6 Texans…. DJ Swearinger

$5.8 Colts…….LERon Landry

$0.4 Panthers….Josh Evans

$2.0 Titans…..Bernard Pollard

================

$2,0 Denver……. adams

$10.2 KC…….Eric Berry

$1.8…..Oakland…..Woodson

$8.6……Chargers….Weddle

[10.2 8.6 6.9]

[5.8 4.8 4.1]

[2.8 2.2 2.0 2,0, 1.9 1.8]

[0.6 0.5 0.4 ]

Average salary is less than $4 million.

Notice who is in the SuperBowl.

I think this may be a bit of a disingenuous representation. It is all about the overall talent you have. Denver has Peyton Manning at QB, that solves a lot of problems!

KC was in playoffs, 10.2 for Berry. Chargers were in playoffs, 8.6 for Weddle. Colts were in playoffs, 5.8 for Landry. Pats have McCourty for cheap but they also have Tom freakin Brady. Panthers have Evans but they have a week secondary all around but they have an amazing DL and LB core. All relative, really not a fair comparison at all here, in my opinion.

I think this may be a bit of a disingenuous representation. It is all about the overall talent you have. Denver has Peyton Manning at QB, that solves a lot of problems!

KC was in playoffs, 10.2 for Berry. Chargers were in playoffs, 8.6 for Weddle. Colts were in playoffs, 5.8 for Landry. Pats have McCourty for cheap but they also have Tom freakin Brady. Panthers have Evans but they have a week secondary all around but they have an amazing DL and LB core. All relative, really not a fair comparison at all here, in my opinion.

"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person we become."

Damn! I hadn't noticed Peyton out there with the cover-2. My mistake.

...Or is it that if a team has a superstar QB, then a lot of ordinary players look a lot better, (so cheaper players do better and cost less then if they have to do it on thir own) and those teams often get ahead a lot of points in a game and force the other team into catchup mode.

With surplus money that can be spurged on the safety position, they decide to spend it there because they have a need to shore up the position that is tested when the other team is behind and airing the ball out.

It is not where the Bills have been at the last few years and it might be one or two years before we get there.

You have got a scent of the reason, but haven't followed the thought through all the way.

A Chevie Nova does not need a ten million dollar license plate light. Replace the fuel pump, new spark plugs, trade in the bald tires, use some bailing wire so the the back left door isn't hanging open.

Edited by 1968_bills_fan

I don't get the point of this post. What does it matter what other afc teams pay their safeties? Byrd is a great safety, one of the best in the nfl and an integral part of our defense.

We will never be a playoff team if we always let our best players walk because we don't want to pay them top dollar when they deserve it.

I remember that no one wanted to pay Andy levitre when he was a FA and now one season later we are talking about drafting a new LG or getting one in free agency. We had a great one and let him walk and now need to upgrade the position again because his backup wasn't any good.

...Or is it that if a team has a superstar QB, then a lot of ordinary players look a lot better, (so cheaper players do better and cost less then if they have to do it on thir own) and those teams often get ahead a lot of points in a game and force the other team into catchup mode.

With surplus money that can be spurged on the safety position, they decide to spend it there because they have a need to shore up the position that is tested when the other team is behind and airing the ball out.

It is not where the Bills have been at the last few years and it might be one or two years before we get there.

You have got a scent of the reason, but haven't followed the thought through all the way.

A Chevie Nova does not need a ten million dollar license plate light. Replace the fuel pump, new spark plugs, trade in the bald tires, use some bailing wire so the the back left door isn't hanging open.

Or just upgrade your car and keep the nice new license plate. Why do you care what they spend? Is it your money? Do we not always have a bunch of cap room? We do the "cash to the cap" thing and always have wiggle room. Lets actually keep our talent then letting it walk versus trying to justify why it should walk and upgrading 5-7 other positions with standard average possible above average players.

Or just upgrade your car and keep the nice new license plate. Why do you care what they spend? Is it your money? Do we not always have a bunch of cap room? We do the "cash to the cap" thing and always have wiggle room. Lets actually keep our talent then letting it walk versus trying to justify why it should walk and upgrading 5-7 other positions with standard average possible above average players.

Of course it isn't my money and it isn't your money either. But the fun in being a fan is offering your opinion. The problem with Byrd is that free safety is not the most important position on the team, and I can't see that Byrd as good as many homers seem to think. (He is tied with Leopold for interceptions on the team for example). I have given up any thoughts that the Bills will spend money up to the cap (if you think different, then you have been disappointed for a quarter of a century at least). I think the money could be better spent to bring in two very good players at some other position, like guard, right offensive tackle or linebacker.

In turns of the "upgrade the car" anaology, I'm suggesting trading in the gold plated license plate for a regular one and two other parts of the car that really need replacing.

Why don't we just keep the gold plated license plate and upgrade the other parts of the car that really need replacing as well? This team has had a serious talent drain over the past 14 years. Lets keep our talented players, our pro bowl players, on this roster moving forward rather than letting them go for money concerns.

Who said if we let Byrd go the Bills can even bring in competent players or "parts" to replace those broken pieces? This team has failed to show consistently they can bring in top talent. They have low equity with me at the moment in this department but this new regime definitely has my attention and I think they are in position to succeed far more than prior regimes.

I don't get the point of this post. What does it matter what other afc teams pay their safeties? Byrd is a great safety, one of the best in the nfl and an integral part of our defense.

We will never be a playoff team if we always let our best players walk because we don't want to pay them top dollar when they deserve it.

I remember that no one wanted to pay Andy levitre when he was a FA and now one season later we are talking about drafting a new LG or getting one in free agency. We had a great one and let him walk and now need to upgrade the position again because his backup wasn't any good.

About Andy Levitre, I don't think his salary needs and his playing profile were a good fit for the Bills. First off, the Bills play in a conference which has very big, very good, mean nose tackles. Levitre was the Tiny Tim of our offensive line. I think the Bills are going the "big is better" route and Levitre was more of a finese zone blocker type fellow than a mauler. Look at the heights and weights of those on the present roster and notice the (guys who are due for upgrading). Levitre is 20 pounds lighter than our other guard canidates for 2014 and the difference may be greater than that because the teams often lie and report small guys as heavier and big guys as smaller.

(Tiny Tim....6-2 305)

Urbik....6-5 324

Unga....6-7 325

Asper....6-7 325

(Legussky 6-1 315)

McClain...6-5 336

Glenn....6-6 345

(Pears.....6-8 316)

A second thing about Levitre comes down to money again. Let's compare the other two starting interior linemen on the Bills with Levitre.

Urbik: 4 year contract 2012-2016 $4M signing bonus, total value $13.3M............about $3.3 M a year

Wood: 4 year contract $9M signing bonus, total value $25.4M (with the top 5 centers)..............about $6.3M a year

Levtre: 6 year contract $10.5M signing bonus, total value $47M..............about $7.8M a year.

The Bills were not willing to pay him that much for what he could do for them (or couldn't do for them e.g. knock the NT off the line of scrimmage), so they let him go. He got a good payday, and seems to be the 4th highest paid OG in the league.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G

About Andy Levitre, I don't think his salary needs and his playing profile were a good fit for the Bills. First off, the Bills play in a conference which has very big, very good, mean nose tackles. Levitre was the Tiny Tim of our offensive line. I think the Bills are going the "big is better" route and Levitre was more of a finese zone blocker type fellow than a mauler. Look at the heights and weights of those on the present roster and notice the (guys who are due for upgrading). Levitre is 20 pounds lighter than our other guard canidates for 2014 and the difference may be greater than that because the teams often lie and report small guys as heavier and big guys as smaller.

(Tiny Tim....6-2 305)

Urbik....6-5 324

Unga....6-7 325

Asper....6-7 325

(Legussky 6-1 315)

McClain...6-5 336

Glenn....6-6 345

(Pears.....6-8 316)

A second thing about Levitre comes down to money again. Let's compare the other two starting interior linemen on the Bills with Levitre.

Urbik: 4 year contract 2012-2016 $4M signing bonus, total value $13.3M............about $3.3 M a year

Wood: 4 year contract $9M signing bonus, total value $25.4M (with the top 5 centers)..............about $6.3M a year

Levtre: 6 year contract $10.5M signing bonus, total value $47M..............about $7.8M a year.

The Bills were not willing to pay him that much for what he could do for them (or couldn't do for them e.g. knock the NT off the line of scrimmage), so they let him go. He got a good payday, and seems to be the 4th highest paid OG in the league.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G

So the point of your post is that The teams with top tier talent pay upwards of 10 million, and those who wont pay less.

Hot thread. You arent at all idiotic.

So the point of your post is that The teams with top tier talent pay upwards of 10 million, and those who wont pay less.

Hot thread. You arent at all idiotic.

This is just stupid. So your point is that without a good QB there is no point to pay anyone? How does NOT paying Byrd make the QB better? These arent mutually exclusive. you can pay byrd 9 million and still try to get a better QB.

This is just stupid. So your point is that without a good QB there is no point to pay anyone? How does NOT paying Byrd make the QB better? These arent mutually exclusive. you can pay byrd 9 million and still try to get a better QB.

Another epic fail from 68

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

I get the point of the OP. 68 is just trying to give a comparison of what other teams are paying their safeties.

I'm back and forth on Byrd all the time. Yes, he is a really good player and you need to keep your really good players. But also you have to think long and hard before you go paying a guy 10 million per year. Double digit millions on one player is a lot of money....a large portion of your cap. So they really have to have long term interests in mind when making this deal. If keeping Byrd means losing a guy like Dareus down the road, then I think I'd rather keep the DL.

We'll know soon enough.

I get the point of the OP. 68 is just trying to give a comparison of what other teams are paying their safeties.

I'm back and forth on Byrd all the time. Yes, he is a really good player and you need to keep your really good players. But also you have to think long and hard before you go paying a guy 10 million per year. Double digit millions on one player is a lot of money....a large portion of your cap. So they really have to have long term interests in mind when making this deal. If keeping Byrd means losing a guy like Dareus down the road, then I think I'd rather keep the DL.

We'll know soon enough.

Of course it isn't my money and it isn't your money either. But the fun in being a fan is offering your opinion. The problem with Byrd is that free safety is not the most important position on the team, and I can't see that Byrd as good as many homers seem to think. (He is tied with Leopold for interceptions on the team for example). I have given up any thoughts that the Bills will spend money up to the cap (if you think different, then you have been disappointed for a quarter of a century at least). I think the money could be better spent to bring in two very good players at some other position, like guard, right offensive tackle or linebacker.

In turns of the "upgrade the car" anaology, I'm suggesting trading in the gold plated license plate for a regular one and two other parts of the car that really need replacing.

A few problems with that statement:

- I believe its Leonhard, not Leopold

- Byrd was out for a significant portion of the season.

- Interceptions are just one stat

- Byrd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Leopold"

A few problems with that statement:

- I believe its Leonhard, not Leopold

- Byrd was out for a significant portion of the season.

- Interceptions are just one stat

- Byrd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Leopold"

Where's the NFC? Not every team has a top-5 safety, so obviously not every team is going to pay their safety like that. Go compare prices for quarterbacks and wide receivers across the league and you'll run up on the same thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where's the NFC? Not every team has a top-5 safety, so obviously not every team is going to pay their safety like that. Go compare prices for quarterbacks and wide receivers across the league and you'll run up on the same thing.

Very true. The question is how big of a drop off is it from Byrd to Searcy or from Byrd to another free agent. Byrd is clearly better than Searcy, for example, but is he 7 million dollars better?

Very true. The question is how big of a drop off is it from Byrd to Searcy or from Byrd to another free agent. Byrd is clearly better than Searcy, for example, but is he 7 million dollars better?

Hey, I don' have unlimited time. You can go do the NFC, if you are that interested.

The cap is going to be ~ $124 million. The Bills have about $9M in "dead money", so the most they could give in salary/prorated bonus is about $115M. Is Byrd worth 8% of the total salary available for the Bills? Will he play all 16 games of the regular season?

Last year the Bills spent the 8th most in the league on their safties.

http://overthecap.com/defensebreakdown.php?Year=2013

Explain to everyone how this was successful.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947770-where-should-the-buffalo-bills-be-spending-their-money-this-offseason has an interesting but incomplete article on the Bills possible cap spending moves. They only consider what it would cost to extend Darius and not any of the other contracts coming up, and they also seem to assume that the Bills would spend up to the cap- something they never have done. (time to consider cold reality maybe?).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947770-where-should-the-buffalo-bills-be-spending-their-money-this-offseason has an interesting but incomplete article on the Bills possible cap spending moves. They only consider what it would cost to extend Darius and not any of the other contracts coming up, and they also seem to assume that the Bills would spend up to the cap- something they never have done. (time to consider cold reality maybe?).

The Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks have a great Free Safety. Earl Thomas is a 3 time All-Pro. His rookie contract is up at the end of the 2014 season...wait'll you see what kind of money he is going to get. Apparently, it's Seattle's top priority to sign Thomas to a long term extension. He should get more money than Byrd for sure. Thomas will probably set the market.

Richard Sherman's contract is up at the same time, so it'll be interesting to see what Seattle does or if they try to keep both. But Earl Thomas is the leader of the Legion of Boom, and he's the priority. He could be the best player on the best defense.

Somebody is going to give Byrd big money...the only question is whether it will be the Bills or not. If the Seahawks sign Thomas first, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Byrd's agent uses his salary as a bargaining tactic.

The difference between "elite" and average is indeed steep. You can make that argument about just about any player at any position short of QB. Is Mario Williams really $15 million better than Alan Branch? No, he isn't, but if you keep unloading elite players because they are overpaid, then you wind up exactly where the Bills have been all through the 2000s. Mediocre, constantly treading between 4 and 7 wins.

The doubly hilarious part is that people want to save Byrd's money to go out and spend it on free agents. Then, when teams like the Dolphins actually do go out and spend a crapton of money in free agency, the same people mock them for overpaying.

Hey, I don' have unlimited time. You can go do the NFC, if you are that interested.

The cap is going to be ~ $124 million. The Bills have about $9M in "dead money", so the most they could give in salary/prorated bonus is about $115M. Is Byrd worth 8% of the total salary available for the Bills? Will he play all 16 games of the regular season?

The Bills are bringing some cap rollover forward next year, just as they did this year.

And the dead money wouldn't be an issue if the Bills had eaten Fitzpatrick's cap hit in 2013 like they should have.

Last year the Bills spent the 8th most in the league on their safties.

http://overthecap.com/defensebreakdown.php?Year=2013

Explain to everyone how this was successful.

We had the #4 pass defense? #2 in picks, #2 in sacks, #1 in completion % against, #3 in QB rating against, and our DC got poached as a head coach after only a year?

We did have trouble against the run, obviously, but pass defense was our greatest strength last year.

xfnjfd.jpg

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Bills fans

How much do teams pay for a free safety? Cap hit number for 2013 in millions from Spot Trac for the starting free safety. These are to the nearest tenth million dollars. It is hard to compare contract actual costs fairly because there are several parameters- not all of which are real. There is guaranteed

7 money, bonus money, unconfirmed salary for years that will never be seen and the like.

$ 6.9 Bills...............Jaris Byrd

$ 2.8 Fish..................Criss Clemons

$ 1.9 Pats.............McCourty

$ 0.4 Jets...............Reed

===================

$2.2 Ravens..... Matt Elan

$4.1 Bengals..... Reggie Nelson

$0.5 Browns....Tashan Gipson

$4.8 Steelers….Ryan Clark

===================

$0.6 Texans…. DJ Swearinger

$5.8 Colts…….LERon Landry

$0.4 Panthers….Josh Evans

$2.0 Titans…..Bernard Pollard

================

$2,0 Denver……. adams

$10.2 KC…….Eric Berry

$1.8…..Oakland…..Woodson

$8.6……Chargers….Weddle

[10.2 8.6 6.9]

[5.8 4.8 4.1]

[2.8 2.2 2.0 2,0, 1.9 1.8]

[0.6 0.5 0.4 ]

Average salary is less than $4 million.

Notice who is in the SuperBowl.

Lets say you raise the price of tickets only $5.00 and you have 71,000 fans per 8 games. That would generate $2,840,000. plus concessions if you want to give Bird a substantial raise. Maybe not 71,000 fans b/c of the number of season ticket holders but you get the point. There are ways to get more revenue if you feel J. Bird is worth more that 6.9 million or over eight with the franchise tag again. Is J. Bird as good as Eric Berry, he thinks he is. What's your opinion?

B U F F A L O

R O A M' E R

10-6 in 2016 PLAYOFF BOUND ?

Never, ever take lesser talent over better talent because of need.

Just say "NO!" to projects in the first round

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/billspics.html