Michael

ESPN Report: CJ Spiller Never Healthy During 2013 NFL Season

Overall view: "I think he's capable of being one of the best multi-purpose weapons in the league. But I think he's closer to Percy Harvin than he is to Adrian Peterson. Just because he has 'RB' next to his name, I think that can misconstrue what he really is. Frankly, I think he's been really, really effective up until this past season and I don't think he was ever healthy this past season. He rarely looked like himself, and I don't think he's all of the sudden forgotten how to be fast, explosive, and I think he's entering the prime of his career and just never looked super healthy to me. In spurts he did, but [not] for a couple of games in a row."

Source: ESPN

Full article worth a read. Solid review from former scout Matt Williamson

The Rules Of The Range

1) Every thought should be a thread.

2) The Bills should seriously consider every available player.

3) Every good player wants to play for the Bills.

4) Every team with a need to fill is looking at trading with the Bills.

Nice to hear that this former scout has a lot of confidence in Spiller but last year our staff didn't use him the way he describes. Spiller wasn't used in the passing game like Gailey did.

Maybe the injury kept them from using him on screens, or maybe the issues at LG but this offseason figuring out a way to use Spiller is the second most important thing Hackett has to do, after figuring out how to get EJ on the path to stardom.

You could tell..after a run healthy backs don't hobble over to the bench to get "work done" or stretch something or rest or what ever...I think all YEAR he had nagging things it was quite obvious.

You could tell..after a run healthy backs don't hobble over to the bench to get "work done" or stretch something or rest or what ever...I think all YEAR he had nagging things it was quite obvious. Plus lets face it our OC + getting the Spiller the ball ina position to be successful was TOTAL FAIL...they had no clue how to use Spiller. THAT was also quite obvious.

Adopt a Bill

11594018.jpg

Yes our OC/HC didnt know how to use Cj. I guess the OC/HC really wanted to get away from chan's scheme, he did n it showed with spiller and Stevies numbers. Also take in consideration, Marrone also wanted (toward mid end of season)CJ to b a little bit more vocal aggressive with his demeanor toward his ol counterparts. It would refreshing to see spiller run with some anger, understand he's smaller back , so mite have defeated my own point. It would be nice to see controlled 'tude from the sidelines to the field.

When you have a guy at LG who is picked off the Scrap heap and a RT that would be backup on any other team, your running game is going to suffer! You can have one O linemen (besides the Center) that is sub par, but two will kill your ability to do anything offensively...unless you have a Gronk type TE that can block and get to the second level.

Hence Bills need to get a guy like Gronk! This will draw the LB back, and TE can block at the second level

When you have a guy at LG who is picked off the Scrap heap and a RT that would be backup on any other team, your running game is going to suffer! You can have one O linemen (besides the Center) that is sub par, but two will kill your ability to do anything offensively...unless you have a Gronk type TE that can block and get to the second level.

Hence Bills need to get a guy like Gronk! This will draw the LB back, and TE can block at the second level

I just don't understand why OC's are having so much trouble getting CJ in the open field where he is most dangerous.

Hackett isn't the only one who has struggled. Gailey wasn't using him properly until his break out year.

What is so hard about using Spiller properly? Jamaal Charles is a force for KC in both the run game as well as the pass. Bush and Sproles have had some success. Why can't Spiller do it?

I just don't understand why OC's are having so much trouble getting CJ in the open field where he is most dangerous.

Hackett isn't the only one who has struggled. Gailey wasn't using him properly until his break out year.

What is so hard about using Spiller properly? Jamaal Charles is a force for KC in both the run game as well as the pass. Bush and Sproles have had some success. Why can't Spiller do it?

Gawd I hate to say it but, the difference is a Established QB and OL???? Manuel will be OK, with the help of heart felt, solid votes of confidences from the coaches and teammates and of course the media. Judging by the recent BN sports writer, Graham did put Manuel in a tongue in cheek moment whereas he put Manuel in the role of the asker vice the askee (I know very bad grammar). Manuel didn't get the sure vote of assurance, he was looking for - was left fuming and UN-appreciated (MO). Maybe that was the approach graham was seeking???? whereas, now Manuel will come out the games charging to prove a point. Then it that fantastic OL we have, a patch here and a patch there and a maybe it will pan out if we do this..... and definitely stop with the after the game team meetings, and start producing a better outcome. Still i hate to say it, but sometimes CUT THROAT works. Forgive me if I went off on a outta my mind rant, but tuff love is better that selfish love and too that was last years problems.

Edited by cook2630
poster errors / Double qoutes response

I'm glad we have Fred and CJ. They compliment each other well and both have shown to be very effective even when injured. If we get some competent QB play and the line develops expect big things from Spiller next year.

2019 Wish List

2. WR/TE Chase Claypool

3. RB Cam Akers Florida State

4. Edge Alton Robinson Syracuse

5.  S Tanner Muse Clemson

6. LB Shaquille Quarterman - The U

6. G Kevin Dotson La Lafeyette

7.  S L'jarius Sneed LA Tech

Charles has much better vision than CJ and always has.

Charles has much better vision than CJ and always has.

xfnjfd.jpg

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Bills fans

There is no question Charles has better vision, but that isn't a reason that the Bills can't use Spiller in a similar way.

That's why it bothers me when people say that Spiller took a step back last year, or worse, he was never as good as people thought or something.

The guy was hurt.

So was Ray Rice. Ray Rice didn't suddenly turn into a shitty back...he was playing hurt.