Sign in to follow this  
Flan

Why Fred thinks he can play 3-4 more years

Fred Jackson is a 32-year old running back, but he’s one of the more productive ones in NFL history at that age. It’s part of the reason why he’s convinced he can play another three or four seasons.

Appearing on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550, Jackson was asked how much longer he feels he can maintain his level of play in the league. Jackson believes he can and had some good reasons why.

“I want to get three or four more years in,” he said. “I confidently believe I can do that. Especially with the workload being split between C.J. and I. That definitely gives me the opportunity to be out here three or four more years and competing with these guys and getting this thing turned around. That’s the number one goal, getting this thing turned around and giving this city something to be excited about and that’s what I want to do before I’m out of here.”

We recently pointed out how rare his production is at his age in the NFL at his position with a big assist from the advanced metric site Numberfire.com.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/01/14/why-fred-thinks-he-can-play-3-4-more-years/

Jackson defying what NFL history says

Posted by Chris Brown on December 24, 2013 – 10:48 am

Bills RB Fred Jackson is 32-years old. Most NFL executives and personnel men cast a wary eye upon any NFL back that’s on the wrong side of 28. That’s because history has shown a significant drop-off in production for backs once they pass their 28th birthday. There have been few exceptions, but Fred Jackson looks to be one of them.

On the advanced metrics site NumberFire, Jackson’s 2013 season was broken down to reveal he’s putting up production as good as almost any back in the league, several of whom are several years younger than Jackson.

Most significant however, is where Jackson’s production stands in NFL history among running backs 31-years old or older.

NumberFire listed all of the backs in league history who at age 31 or older had at least 800 rushing yards AND 300 receiving yards in a season. The grand total was nine… in NFL history! Walter Payton was responsible for two of those seasons, so there have been 10 such seasons by players 31 or older.

Jackson is now the 11th player after surpassing the 800-yard plateau last Sunday (now 836) with a game to play.

The list of players is obviously short, and it’s worth noting that it includes three Hall of Famers (Payton, Dorsett, Little) and a likely future Hall of Famer in LaDainian Tomlinson.

Here’s the chart courtesy of NumberFire.com, and it should be noted that Jackson and “Sweetness” were the only two to pull this off at age 32.

Player Year Age Team Rush yards Rec. yards

Tiki Barber 2006 31 NYG 1,662 465

Walter Payton 1985 31 CHI 1,551 483

Walter Payton 1986 32 CHI 1,333 382

Tony Dorsett 1985 31 DAL 1,307 449

Ricky Watters 2000 31 SEA 1,242 613

James Brooks 1989 31 CIN 1,239 306

James Stewart 2002 31 DET 1,021 333

Floyd Little 1973 31 DEN 979 423

Garrison Hearst 2002 31 SF 972 317

L. Tomlinson 2010 31 NYJ 914 368

Fred Jackson 2013 32 BUF 836 334

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/12/24/jackson-defying-what-nfl-history-says/

Fred forever.

For all I care Fred can play for us for as long as he wants to.

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Father time will catch up with him eventually. The Bills need to plan for that. It could happen next season.

One bad coccussion and he could be toast. When you get over 30 the head is vulnerable. Fred avoids direct hits prety good, but not as good as he use to. He tends to fall forward right into more big hits then he did when younger.

If used properly like Fred noted, he has some good years left.

cba fan

Fred Jackson is Buffalo...In my opinion, he can play as long as he wants here....

If you don't live it, it won't come out your horn -Charlie Parker

Miller-1.jpg

:sabres: :bills:

The day he retires I hope they make him RB coach ASAP (or some other capacity). He deserves to be part of the turnaround one way or another.

"Clearly, we would like to win, its the preferred outcome." -Dick Jauron

I hope he gets a chance to play in the playoffs before his career is over. I love the intensity he brings and I'm always a little more pumped when he scores a touchdown as opposed to any other player.

My AaB is Marcus Easley [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah combo stats. Unfortunately they eliminate others who performed well late in thier careers. John Riggins comes to mind immediately. He rushed for over 1300 yards at age 34, and for over 1200 yards at 35. Riggo wasn't used as a receiver hardly at all at this stage of his career however. Combo stats are too often used when convenient to make one look better or to exclude another. Yet I am not trying to take anything away from Freddie, but his injuries the past three years will take thier toll. I do not see Freddie lasting more than another year or two...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Spiderweb

:beers: