Flan

Bills fire LB coach Chuck Driesbach

Bills fire LB coach Chuck Driesbach

Driesbach joined head coach Doug Marrone's staff last January after 36 years in the college ranks, most recently as Rice's defensive coordinator. He also served as defensive coordinator at Pittsburgh from 1993-1996, with current Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on his staff as a graduate assistant from 1993-1994.

One of the top performers on the Bills' defense was rookie linebacker Kiko Alonso, who is among the top candidates for NFL defensive rookie of the year. However, the Bills struggled to find consistency next to Alonso, with Arthur Moats and Nigel Bradham both seeing limited time in that spot.

Driesbach becomes the second Bills assistant coach fired this offseason, joining wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/6472/bills-fire-lb-coach-chuck-driesbach

Chuck Driesbach stunned by Bills' firing

On Monday, the Buffalo Bills fired linebackers coach Chuck Driesbach.

Driesbach, 61, told Tom Moore of the Bucks County (Penn.) Courier Times on Monday evening that he was stunned by the move, saying he was called into coach Doug Marrone's office and given little explanation for his termination.

*** More

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/6503/chuck-driesbach-stunned-by-bills-firing

I hope Pettine had some say in this move because it sounds like he was a Pettine hire.

The last thing I want is for Pettine to start to feel he doesn't have control of the defense.

Not gonna pretend to know a lot about the guy. Its a whatever move. If we get an upgrade great.

What I do want to know is what0s going on with Crossman ? He needs to go. Our ST were a disgrace

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

I thought the LB play was very undisciplined and sloppy, that's why we had so many big plays against us and people ran at will in games. They got the blitzing down but not their proper assignments, IMO.....that falls on the coach.

12thmannb6.jpg

Circle the wagons

At least this shows that they are looking at the season, evaluating, and making some moves. If they don't fire Crossman so be it. The special teams was a problem but I'll yield to Marrone on this one as he's proving he isn't afraid to fire coaches.

People around here made a lot of fun of Brad Smith but he was/is a special teams ace and I don't think it is a coincidence that he didn't play this year and our ST suffered. You need a guy like that on the roster...just not for that money. But then again, we have money to spend and we were burned on kicks so maybe it is worth it until you have to start sacrificing talent to keep the guy on the roster. Easley is not as good as him.

At least this shows that they are looking at the season, evaluating, and making some moves. If they don't fire Crossman so be it. The special teams was a problem but I'll yield to Marrone on this one as he's proving he isn't afraid to fire coaches.

Except when they are his friends like Crossman. Anyone else would've fired him already.

Except when they are his friends like Crossman. Anyone else would've fired him already.

This is just fan talk. You have no way of knowing that or of knowing how much of friends he is with Crossman vs the two guys he fired. Do you watch the all 22 of all of our punts and kickoffs and see coaching errors? I know I don't. We need to get better but I simply cannot say it's Crossman's fault or not.

The answer is not always "let's fire the coach".

This is just fan talk. You have no way of knowing that or of knowing how much of friends he is with Crossman vs the two guys he fired. Do you watch the all 22 of all of our punts and kickoffs and see coaching errors? I know I don't. We need to get better but I simply cannot say it's Crossman's fault or not.

The answer is not always "let's fire the coach".

There's another thread in here that documents just how bad our ST were last year. Among the worst in the entire NFL over the last 10 years. So in this case yeah, lets fire the coach is the right answer.

And its well known that Crossman is Marrone's friend. The other 2 guys he fired mean nothing in relation to him. Crossman's ST have been bad since he was in Detroit before. He was a bad hire from day one and only got the job because of his relation to DM.

I will say concerning special teams this year. My perception was that we had to many of our starters on special teams.

People around here made a lot of fun of Brad Smith but he was/is a special teams ace and I don't think it is a coincidence that he didn't play this year and our ST suffered. You need a guy like that on the roster...just not for that money. But then again, we have money to spend and we were burned on kicks so maybe it is worth it until you have to start sacrificing talent to keep the guy on the roster. Easley is not as good as him.

not sure I would refer to Brad Smith as a "special teams ace" with us, he was safe but not an ace.

12thmannb6.jpg

Circle the wagons

Two areas we were in need of help - WR, and LB. Marrone is addressing the coaching there, now let's get a QB coach.

"You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."

~ Frank Zappa

fire crossman and bring back Bobby April....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/bobby-april-hasnt-re-signed-with-the-raiders/

Per a league source, special-teams coordinator Bobby April has not re-signed with the Raiders. It’s unclear whether he possibly will in the future. For now, there’s no new contract.

12thmannb6.jpg

Circle the wagons

I thought the LB play was very undisciplined and sloppy, that's why we had so many big plays against us and people ran at will in games. They got the blitzing down but not their proper assignments, IMO.....that falls on the coach.

It's half coaching and half execution IMO. The Bills need to improve the play of the ILB beside Alonso, or the big thumper ILB. Alonso is the athletic ILB or weak ILB. The player playing the strong ILB position most of the year was A.Moats and later on N.Bradham and neither did a good job.

If the Bills upgrade the linebacker coaching and the talent at the ILB position, then the big plays against the run should be limited. Brandon Spikes is a free agent that I think is the perfect fit for the ILB position beside Alonso and hopefully the Bills get him in free agency.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

There's another thread in here that documents just how bad our ST were last year. Among the worst in the entire NFL over the last 10 years. So in this case yeah, lets fire the coach is the right answer.

And its well known that Crossman is Marrone's friend. The other 2 guys he fired mean nothing in relation to him. Crossman's ST have been bad since he was in Detroit before. He was a bad hire from day one and only got the job because of his relation to DM.

If they've been among the worst in the league for 10 years how is that Crossman's fault? Give him a chance to turn it around.

If they've been among the worst in the league for 10 years how is that Crossman's fault? Give him a chance to turn it around.

Nah man you misunderstood or I didn't word it properly.

Our special teams last year were among the worst units of the last 10 years. Last year's numbers compared over the past decade rank among the very worst. I didn't mean that we've been bad for 10 years.

Boy, you guys really went off-topic with this thread. Any Twitter explanations as to why Dreisbach was let go? All I've seen was this:

Driesbach is the second member of head coach Doug Marrone’s first staff to lose his job. Wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard has also been let go since the end of the regular season. That move was chalked up to a difference in philosophy, but there’s been no comment on the reason for Driesbach’s departure at this point.

I will say concerning special teams this year. My perception was that we had to many of our starters on special teams.

What starters, other than McKelvin, played special teams?

Because of the # of linemen activated a few will always have to play st, but off the top of my head the st unit was Easley, Brooks, Hogan, Summers and Bradham, none of which are regular starters.