rquinn619

Why It's a good look to extend Gilmore Sooner Than Later. No Excuses to be made

Those of you that follow my writing know that I like to stick to breakdowns and X's and O's types of posts. But this little episode with people getting worked up because Stephon Gilmore didn't show up to a voluntary mini-camp and the Bills leaked it while contract talks are going on is disgraceful. I've been working on this piece for a few days now, but when the news broke i decided to change it to address some things that I think matter for every franchise, but even more for one that's operated (financially) as the Bills have. It's not about spending money, it's spending the right money. Premier players at premier positions that aren't older than 26 when signing the deal. Glenn, Dareus, Gilmore fit all of these categories, and get bonus points for being drafted. If the Bills had any sort of reputation, they'd likely take a small percentage less to stay in BUF than move, but we know how this team has been viewed lol.

Anyway, it's a bit of a long read but hope you enjoy it or take something from it that we can chat about in the comments.

http://buildingtheherd.com/commentary/stephon-gilmore-bills-deal/

If he misses a few days of OTAs I'm not that concerned. If he misses mandatory camp that's an issue. It would be in our best interest to get a deal done and get that cap hit down.

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

Gimore is one of the better CB's in the NFL, Bills management needs to lock him up to a long term deal ASAP.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I agree he needs to be extended the sooner the better. Not worried at all that he is missing OTAs. I know he is working out with a trainer at a local HS here in Charlotte before school starts. Its his contract year he will be ready.

I say let him play out his final season.

I love watching players play in contract years.

What are the Bills to lose?

Here are the 3 scenarios that could happen:

1) They pay him right now and he gets paid a top 5 CB contract

2) They don't pay him now and he plays great next year, and gets paid a top 5 CB contract

3) They don't pay him now and he plays poorly or gets injured next year, and we possibly save a little money on his next contract

If they have to franchise him, he gets paid the average of the top 5 CB's in the NFL.

I like Gilmore, but i'm OK with letting him play this out.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

2) They don't pay him now and he plays great next year, and gets paid a top 5 CB contract

3) They don't pay him now, he gets injured next year, and we possibly save a little money on his next contract

If they have to franchise him, he gets paid the average of the top 5 CB's in the NFL.

I prefer to sign him now but I wouldn't hate it if we didnt. I just think the longer we wait to sign him the better the chances of him walking. Not many players want to get tagged and play out a season that way. I think signing him now shows the rest of the team if you play well you will get paid.

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

I prefer to sign him now but I wouldn't hate it if we didnt. I just think the longer we wait to sign him the better the chances of him walking. Not many players want to get tagged and play out a season that way. I think signing him now shows the rest of the team if you play well you will get paid.

3 years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But Buffalo no longer has a stigma.

We paid Mario, Incog, Glenn, Dareus, Hughes etc. The word is out.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

3 years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But Buffalo no longer has a stigma.

We paid Mario, Incog, Glenn, Dareus, Hughes etc. The word is out.

True. I just don't want to see him refuse to sign the franchise tender and have all that drama. Losing him for nothing would be a big blow to this style of defense in particular. It is a business so and both sides are going to do what they need to do. Whether it's the outcome we want we'll have to wait and see.

81Yi-LuxR2L._SY355_.jpg

I could go either way with Gilmore, much like the Glenn situation.

Yes, he may be leaving us without receiving compensation, but his $14 million could be used in free agency, where we could sign 2 solid players instead of a top cb.

Whaley has shown he is not afraid to pay over market price for free agents if he wants the guy. I think he and Rex like Gilmore a lot and values the position so they will eventually pay him top cb money.

Let him become a UFA and he'll play the market. Some desperate team will way overpay for him and the Bills won't match. Lock him up now to save $ in the long run.

3) They don't pay him now and he plays poorly or gets injured next year, and we possibly save a little money on his next contract

Scenario 4: Let's see how the new staff that we hopefully get as a late Christmas present values him.

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets............

i think the best reason is so the Bills can stop being the NFL's developmental squad for other team's secondaries.

Sin is nothing to celebrate, have pride in, or hold parades for. The rainbow is a symbol of promise not a symbol of depravity.