Sign in to follow this  
HipKat

[TRENDS] Social Media. Is it Time to Pull The Plug?

When Myspace died, I don't think a whole lot of people really noticed because so many had moved on to Facebook. My kids tell me that Facebook is for old people because they're on Instagram.

Myspace was fun, you can personalize your profile and I had a ton of friends but that's when I was really active in the music scene so most of my friends were bands or people had grown up with. I thought it would be the same way with Facebook but that's not how it turned out and that's because by design Facebook doesn't work the same way.

There's been a lot of reports recently, this week about the various policies at Facebook. How the algorithms will show people more negative things and positive because people react more strongly to negativity, that keeps them on the site longer, they click on more ads and Facebook makes more money. Of course, most of us know how Facebook sold our data to Cambridge Analytica and how Facebook has continued to be a platform for false and misleading information, but it's not just Facebook.

There is a report last week about Instagram and how young people are suffering from low self-esteem because of what they're exposed to on Instagram.

Well Trump was in office I was really active on Twitter, I spread a lot of anti-trump stories and tweets and once the election ended I'm more or less went into hibernation although I'm there to make one or two tweets since but nothing to do with politics. Also during the Trump administration, I was very political on Facebook but that it got so out of control that I finally just shut it down and now I really don't go on there very much unless I need to get a hold of somebody or maybe I'll share something that I think is worth sharing but not political.

The point is, for me I didn't have a problem walking away from those platforms for the most part but we know that people are addicted to social media.

My 13-year-old daughter is not allowed to have devices because she used her tablet to create up to 11 Tick Tok profiles. She thinks that like her social media idols, she can get famous on Tik Tok and she is addicted to followers. Except most of the followers were men who looked like me...

The point is that social media is out of control and to many people are caught up in it, sacrificing other parts of their lives and falling prey to manipulative and misleading posts.

Let's face it, people, companies, politicians, too many of them have weaponized social media platforms to try to manipulate the opinions and the actions of those who use those platforms so my question is, is it time to pull the plug? Has social media gone too far in not regulating how those platforms are used and over-regulating how they're used by specific groups?

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

Honestly, I think if they're pulling the plug on anyone it should be your ilk.

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

Let's face it, people, companies, politicians, too many of them have weaponized social media platforms to try to manipulate the opinions and the actions of those who use those platforms so my question is, is it time to pull the plug 

########################### 

There's a million fake accounts on facebook that are pro-vac.

A .illion sponcered ads that day safe and effective , over and over. 

All you have to do is delete those.

You are a complete idiot if you don't realize this is About criminalization of disagreeing with govt..

This destroys freedom of thought and choice

If they would stop weaponizing these platforms politically against people, then we wouldn't have a problem.

Unfortunately, they have been and will continue to do so...so the only real answer would be to pull the plug on them.

This will never happen, and it's just going to be weaponized more until it's all propaganda with no dissenting opinion, but the leftist homos are ok with this.

Until that day when they come for them because they have accomplished their mission against conservatives.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Philly'sFinest said:

If they would stop weaponizing these platforms politically against people, then we wouldn't have a problem.

Unfortunately, they have been and will continue to do so...so the only real answer would be to pull the plug on them.

This will never happen, and it's just going to be weaponized more until it's all propaganda with no dissenting opinion, but the leftist homos are ok with this.

Until that day when they come for them because they have accomplished their mission against conservatives.

In the case of FB and Twitter, it has definitely become more politically saturated. Tik Tok, Instagram, like comfortably_numb posted has gone in another direction - manipulating younger people.

When my daughter had her devices taken away, it was like putting a junkie in a locked room. She went into an extended panic. For days she was desperate, begging to have her tablet back. Identical to someone coming off of substance addiction, over time, her "need" to be online was sated by allowing her to have YouTube on my old Firestick, but not signed into an account to avoid inappropriate content (which is a joke) and now that's her addiction. She streams YouTube anytime she's home, burying herself in her room at her Mom's (I don't allow that) and letting it play all night and what does she watch? YouTube videos of Tik Tok videos and "following" YT Social Media personalities whom she thinks are role models.

It's a disaster for our kids.

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

Seek help. soflabillsfan

10 minutes ago, HipKat said:

In the case of FB and Twitter, it has definitely become more politically saturated. Tik Tok, Instagram, like comfortably_numb posted has gone in another direction - manipulating younger people.

When my daughter had her devices taken away, it was like putting a junkie in a locked room. She went into an extended panic. For days she was desperate, begging to have her tablet back. Identical to someone coming off of substance addiction, over time, her "need" to be online was sated by allowing her to have YouTube on my old Firestick, but not signed into an account to avoid inappropriate content (which is a joke) and now that's her addiction. She streams YouTube anytime she's home, burying herself in her room at her Mom's (I don't allow that) and letting it play all night and what does she watch? YouTube videos of Tik Tok videos and "following" YT Social Media personalities whom she thinks are role models.

Reasonable...

• Like 1

You can't pull the plug on anything of them, but you can quit using them.   :niterider:

35 minutes ago, HipKat said:

It's poison for us all...not just our kids.

If we could all reach that conclusion and take steps to get away from it, we would all be happier and maybe even somewhat united.

• Like 1

The thing I realized after I stopped watching cable news and the only news I watch now by the way, is streaming the local news from Buffalo, but anyway the thing I realized is that what those news networks do now is really a form of brainwashing.

Every hour they have a new host who repeats the same things that were on the previous show. Most of the time they interview the same people. It's very repetitive and that repetition isn't just limited to the next news or opinion show but it's repeated daily for days and weeks at a time. Now I'm no psychologist but to me that is a form of brainwashing. It falls under the guise of telling a lie over and over so many times that it becomes the truth.

Prior to social media, if the average person had an opinion, they could tell everyone they knew, and it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. now they can go on twitter, etc. and potentially reach huge numbers of people as their post gets liked and shared, etc. this is a hugely powerful way for the individual to express themselves, but, to steal a phrase, "with great power comes great responsibility." as a whole, i don't see a lot of personal responsibility being taken on major social media platforms.

In the past when you told somebody or everybody you knew about your opinion, you said it in front of them. Now you say it in complete isolation, anonymously which affords you a sense of security or even invincibility.

Social Media simply makes it easier for people to follow anonymous provocateurs aiming at riling them up and creating division. Q-Anon, the whole student and Native American scuffle that wasn't, a very large chunk of Christian related posts on Facebook in 2019... all originating from who knows what. People are being played, because people seek it. Is Social media isn't the problem as much as people are the problem?

Seek help. soflabillsfan

Twitter

a "whistleblower" that's pushing for more censorship is getting support from mainstream media, can the script get anymore obvious

46 minutes ago, HipKat said:

The thing I realized after I stopped watching cable news and the only news I watch now by the way, is streaming the local news from Buffalo, but anyway the thing I realized is that what those news networks do now is really a form of brainwashing.

Every hour they have a new host who repeats the same things that were on the previous show. Most of the time they interview the same people. It's very repetitive and that repetition isn't just limited to the next news or opinion show but it's repeated daily for days and weeks at a time. Now I'm no psychologist but to me that is a form of brainwashing. It falls under the guise of telling a lie over and over so many times that it becomes the truth.

Thanks Captain Obvious, we told you this for like 4 fucking years...

• Haha 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

Local news isn't much better.  :niterider:

• Like 1