Sign in to follow this  
Professor Pigworth

Climate Change: World Now Sees Twice As Many Days Over 50° C

More bad news related to climate change.  Is there ever any other kind?

Or, if you're an anti-science, conspiracy-loving person with faith-based beliefs, then this is of course fake news and all is well and using fossil fuels in abundance is a really, really great idea. If anything, we should be burning even more of it. Surely nothing bad will come of that.

The number of extremely hot days every year when the temperature reaches 50C has doubled since the 1980s, a global BBC analysis has found.

They also now happen in more areas of the world than before, presenting unprecedented challenges to human health and to how we live.

The total number of days above 50C (122F) has increased in each decade since 1980. On average, between 1980 and 2009, temperatures passed 50C about 14 days a year.

The number rose to 26 days a year between 2010 and 2019.

In the same period, temperatures of 45C and above occurred on average an extra two weeks a year.

"The increase can be 100% attributed to the burning of fossil fuels," says Dr Friederike Otto, associate director of the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford.

As the whole world warms, extreme temperatures become more likely.

High heat can be deadly for humans and nature, and cause major problems to buildings, roads and power systems.

Temperatures of 50C happen predominantly in the Middle East and Gulf regions.

And after record-breaking temperatures of 48.8C in Italy and 49.6C in Canada this summer, scientists have warned that days over 50C will happen elsewhere unless we cut fossil fuel emissions.

"We need to act quickly. The faster we cut our emissions, the better off we'll all be," says Dr Sihan Li, a climate researcher at the School of Geography and the Environment at the University of Oxford.

spacer.png

"With continued emissions and lack of action, not only will these extreme heat events become more severe and more frequent, but emergency response and recovery will become more challenging," warns Dr Li.

The BBC analysis also found that in the most recent decade, maximum temperatures increased by 0.5C compared with the long-term average from 1980 to 2009.

But these increases have not been felt equally around the world: Eastern Europe, southern Africa and Brazil saw some maximum temperatures rise by more than 1C, and parts of the Arctic and Middle East recorded increases of more than 2C.

Scientists are calling for urgent action from world leaders at a UN summit in Glasgow in November, where governments will be asked to commit to new emissions cuts in order to limit global temperature rises.

"With continued emissions and lack of action, not only will these extreme heat events become more severe and more frequent, but emergency response and recovery will become more challenging," warns Dr Li.

The BBC analysis also found that in the most recent decade, maximum temperatures increased by 0.5C compared with the long-term average from 1980 to 2009.

But these increases have not been felt equally around the world: Eastern Europe, southern Africa and Brazil saw some maximum temperatures rise by more than 1C, and parts of the Arctic and Middle East recorded increases of more than 2C.

Scientists are calling for urgent action from world leaders at a UN summit in Glasgow in November, where governments will be asked to commit to new emissions cuts in order to limit global temperature rises.

Impacts of extreme heat

This BBC analysis launches a documentary series called Life at 50C investigating how extreme heat is affecting lives across the world.

Even below 50C, high temperatures and humidity can create severe health risks.

As many as 1.2 billion people around the world could face heat stress conditions by 2100 if current levels of global warming continue, according to a study from Rutgers University in the US published last year. That is at least four times more than those affected today.

People are also facing difficult choices as the landscape around them changes, as extreme heat makes drought and wildfires more likely. While, other factors can contribute, climate change is also an important driving force behind desertification.

Sheikh Kazem Al Kaabi is a wheat farmer from a village in central Iraq. The land around him was once fertile enough to sustain him and his neighbours, but it has gradually become dry and barren.

"All this land was green, but all of that is gone. Now it is a desert, drought."

Almost all the people from his village have moved away to look for work in other provinces.

"I lost my brother, dear friends and loyal neighbours. They shared everything with me, even my laughter. Now nobody shares anything with me, I'm just face-to-face with this empty land."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58494641

• Barf 1

I'm all for doing what we can to lessen our impact on the planet, but not when we are talking green energy that is way less reliable, much more costly, and isn't really all that green in many instances.

I'm also not a fan of countries like China thumbing their noses at doing their part while demanding other countries do way more than them.

Make all countries follow a similar plan, and get the green energy to where it's comparable in terms of cost and reliability and I'm in.

Until then, fuck off with green energy

• Thanks 1

I think it's funny how the two most naive, braindead robots on this message board we're the first to answer. Bottom line is, there is no questioning this anymore. It's not coming it's here. I know the five or six dipshit, Trump loving retards but that live on this forum because they have no lives will all reply to me, which I'll never see thank God, telling anybody that'll see their posts how fucking dumb I am but you know what? Fuck them anyway. Climate change is real, it's here and we can see it all around us. All you have to do is look.

• Like 1
  • Gay 1

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

11 minutes ago, HipKat said:

I think it's funny how the two most naive, braindead robots on this message board we're the first to answer. Bottom line is, there is no questioning this anymore. It's not coming it's here. I know the five or six dipshit, Trump loving retards but that live on this forum because they have no lives will all reply to me, which I'll never see thank God, telling anybody that'll see their posts how fucking dumb I am but you know what? Fuck them anyway. Climate change is real, it's here and we can see it all around us. All you have to do is look.

SCAM X 10

12 minutes ago, HipKat said:

We both know you look at most of the posts you claim not to.  You fool no one, corky.

Yeah, sure,, global warming just somehow kicked in faster with the  pandemic...load of bullshit.

This is proof of both lies and the ability to alter weather. Either through tech and or odd craft 

2 minutes ago, LIBills said:

OMG.....

IT'S "DAY AFTER TOMORROW"......

FOR REAL

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

And it just keeps on changing and evolving.  Global cooling coming next.  They've got it all covered.  Big time scam.  Follow the money.

If people are so "worried" about climate change...........

go fucking bother the biggest perpetrators of the "supposed" climate issue........

CHINA

Until pussies start attacking China, leave this country out of your climate change hoax.

2 minutes ago, Thebowflexbody said:

And it just keeps on changing and evolving.  Global cooling coming next.  They've got it all covered.  Big time scam.  Follow the money.

It's downright laughable to think that humans have any impact whatsoever on what Mother Nature does.

These nutcases spend trillions of dollars on this crap and lap it up all the time.

Pretty simple though......

since this planets very existence, the Earth does what it wants when it wants and the humans CAN'T EVER stop it.

11 minutes ago, LIBills said:

If people are so "worried" about climate change...........

go fucking bother the biggest perpetrators of the "supposed" climate issue........

CHINA

Until pussies start attacking China, leave this country out of your climate change hoax.

BINGO

Just now, Thebowflexbody said:

BINGO

Yeah, let's not piss off our Chiacom leaders in Beijing.

Let's go after the people we hate the most.......... Americans.

That's the message from these pinhead climate change hoaxers. 

• Like 1

Ok Piggy, call these guys to fix it.

25 Most Polluted Cities in the World (2021 Rankings)

1. Lahore, Pakistan

2. Ghaziabad, India

3. Delhi, India

4. Aguascalientes, Mexico

5. New Delhi, India

6. Lucknow, India

7. Muzaffarnagar, India

8. Dhaka, Bangladesh

9. Peshawar, Pakistan

10. Hapur, India

11. Patna, India

12. Kampala, Uganda

13. Kabul, Afghanistan

14. Chandigarh, India

15. Jaipur, India

16. Gandhinagar, India

17. Bamako, Mali

18. Dushanbe, Tajikistan

19. Baghdad, Iraq

20. Kolkata, India

21. Manama, Bahrain

22. Karachi, Pakistan

23. Dammam, Saudi Arabia

24. Hawalli, Kuwait

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

Yes the sun is a nuclear furnace; it is 93 million miles away.

That gas pump is right over there.

Good science says that we are saving the earth from seismic events by relieving the pressure of oil on the tectonic plates.

We don't need BS unratified treaties, economy crushing regulations or specious 'green' technologies foisted on us by law.  Here's what you can do:

1)  Be a little cold in winter.

2)  Be a little hot in summer.

3)  Turn off the light.

Fact:   The best 'Green Efforts' - Building Automation Systems, Energy Monitoring and Control, and Occupancy sensing lighting systems.  Turns stuff off or down automatically.

3 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Ok Piggy, call these guys to fix it.

25 Most Polluted Cities in the World (2021 Rankings)

1. Lahore, Pakistan

2. Ghaziabad, India

3. Delhi, India

4. Aguascalientes, Mexico

5. New Delhi, India

6. Lucknow, India

7. Muzaffarnagar, India

8. Dhaka, Bangladesh

9. Peshawar, Pakistan

10. Hapur, India

11. Patna, India

12. Kampala, Uganda

13. Kabul, Afghanistan

14. Chandigarh, India

15. Jaipur, India

16. Gandhinagar, India

17. Bamako, Mali

18. Dushanbe, Tajikistan

19. Baghdad, Iraq

20. Kolkata, India

21. Manama, Bahrain

22. Karachi, Pakistan

23. Dammam, Saudi Arabia

24. Hawalli, Kuwait

LOL.  Yes!  Start there or shut the fuck up.