Sign in to follow this  
zanthrax54

Bills RB Christian Wade granted third exemption year

NFL: AUG 16 Preseason - Bills at Panthers Photo by John Byrum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

All of the NFL’s IPP players saw their exempt window expanded

For the last two seasons, Buffalo Bills rugby player-turned-running back Christian Wade has received an exemption through the NFL’s International Pathway Program that allowed the team to carry an extra player on their roster. Originally, that exemption was set to expire this year; however, the NFL has granted IPP players a third exemption year.

WGR 550 Bills reporter Sal Capaccio tweeted the news last week, noting that Wade is now essentially “in the exact situation he’s been the last two years.” If Wade does not make Buffalo’s regular-season roster, the Bills can designate him as a protected player on their practice squad, which would have two implications: the team would be unable to call him up to the active roster for the duration of the 2021 season and other teams would be unable to claim Wade for their regular-season rosters.

As Capaccio notes, Wade could also make the Bills’ roster outright, thereby eliminating any need for an exemption heading into the season. A third, less likely option is that the Bills could release Wade, hope that he passes through conventional waivers, and then sign him to their practice squad as a standard member of that group without the exemption. Doing so would mean that Wade would be subject to the same rules governing all other players on an NFL practice squad.

Wade, who turns 30 in May, joined the Bills via the International Pathway Program in 2019. His only game action came during the preseason that year, and he started his NFL career with a bang. His first carry was a 65-yard rushing touchdown in Buffalo’s preseason opener against the Indianapolis Colts. Wade carried a total of eight times for 84 yards and that touchdown, adding four receptions for 55 yards on seven targets.

View the full article

The Buffalo Bills....

:rolleyes2

REBUILDING SINCE 2000!

To Fitzpatrick, Levitre, Kelsay, Mcgee, Barnett, Wilson, Jones, Nelson, Rinehart, McIntyre, Merriman, Shepperd, Scott, White, Wanny, and Mr. Chan Gailey...

It was real, it was fun, it just wasn't REAL FUN!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEWVILLE MUD DAWGS FEVER BABY! We might not be very good right now, but we have infinite heart! Alot like the Bills! ;) HALLA!

http://www.muddawgsfootball.com

I think Wade could bring something different to the game since he's a Rugby player first.  He sees the field differently and reacts differently than a typical RB/FB that's been playing the sport all his life.  

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but possibly could bring an "x-factor" to a game that opposing defenses aren't used to seeing.  

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd like to see him get a shot and @ 30 Y/O, if he doesn't make the team, please give him his chance to move on.

2 hours ago, foster said:

I think Wade could bring something different to the game since he's a Rugby player first.  He sees the field differently and reacts differently than a typical RB/FB that's been playing the sport all his life.  

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but possibly could bring an "x-factor" to a game that opposing defenses aren't used to seeing.  

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd like to see him get a shot and @ 30 Y/O, if he doesn't make the team, please give him his chance to move on.

Here we go again. I realize it's partly the fault of the people who write these articles, because when they say the Bills can assign him to the practice squad as the exempted player it makes it sound like Wade has no say in the matter. That's not true. As we know, he can stay through the offseason and try to make the team. But if he doesn't make the team and clears waivers he is free to go anywhere he wants, either by signing a contract with another team or by signing onto any  team's (not just Buffalo's) practice squad. He only gets "assigned" to the Bills practice squad with the exemption if both he and the Bills agree to that.

Nobody is holding him back.

• Thanks 1

30yo RB who broke one in a preseason game. Um ok....

“Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group.  But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides.  You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures you did.  You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name. I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.” 

Only the second sentence is ever uttered by US hating libtards.

Amazing, he was a star in Rugby and chose to rot on the bench in the NFL ... strange 

Proud adopter of #54 AJ Klein and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Ninety-five Percents