Sign in to follow this  
zanthrax54

Bills have looming pass rush problem in 2022

Wild Card Round - Indianapolis Colts v Buffalo Bills Photo by Bryan Bennett/Getty Images

Forget edge rusher upgrades, the Bills have a need for bodies at pass rusher.

Earlier this offseason, the Buffalo Bills gave defensive end Mario Addison the choice to take a pay cut. He accepted and in exchange, the Bills guaranteed a large chunk of his 2021 salary and voided the final year of his deal in 2022 making him a free agent in twelve months. That presents an interesting wrinkle in roster management for Bills’ general manager Brandon Beane.

Buffalo’s other starting defensive end from 2020 also has one year remaining on his deal. Jerry Hughes has been the leader of the defensive end unit for several seasons since joining the team in 2013 but 2021 is the final year of his most recent contract extension. He will start the 2021 season at age 33 — a year younger than Addison.

Buffalo has 2020 second-rounder A.J. Epenesa developing and 2019 seventh-rounder Darryl Johnson has been earning more playing time, plus a handful of practice squaders. With how much the Bills like to rotate players at that position to keep them fresh, they are going to need rosterable players and soon. Beyond simply being replacement-level, the Bills will need an impact at the position we haven’t yet seen from either player.

Buffalo doesn’t have a pass rusher in their prime, which is one of the reasons I advocated so strongly for that prior to the beginning of free agency. I would have loved to have seen a bridge free agent signed to a two- or three-year deal this offseason to get from Hughes/Addison’s departure to Epenesa and Johnson or another young player’s prime. The only move they have made at the position is a one-year deal for Efe Obada.

Picking at 30, it’s unlikely the Bills are going to be able to find instant impact at the position in the first or second rounds of the 2021 NFL Draft. The rookie, like Epenesa, won’t be expected to start or even play significant minutes during his first season, but with three departures scheduled for a year from now, that new player will need to be able to play significant snaps in Year 2 as the roster is currently constructed.

There’s no doubt in my mind that Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have a plan at the position. If it doesn’t include a Hughes extension, it will likely be some combination of a draft pick this year and a free agent in 2022. Buffalo likes having a veteran in every room so I don’t expect them to just throw draft picks at the position.

If you haven’t yet, start scouting the defensive ends available in the back end of the first round.

View the full article

The Buffalo Bills....

:rolleyes2

REBUILDING SINCE 2000!

To Fitzpatrick, Levitre, Kelsay, Mcgee, Barnett, Wilson, Jones, Nelson, Rinehart, McIntyre, Merriman, Shepperd, Scott, White, Wanny, and Mr. Chan Gailey...

It was real, it was fun, it just wasn't REAL FUN!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEWVILLE MUD DAWGS FEVER BABY! We might not be very good right now, but we have infinite heart! Alot like the Bills! ;) HALLA!

http://www.muddawgsfootball.com

A DE and a CB to develop are the two biggests areas to address in the draft.

With Hughes, Addison and Obada's up at DE and Taron Johnson and Levi Wallace up at CB I expect Beane to be focusing at these positions early in the draft.

Then after another year of our dbs getting banged up... Current lb line up has not recovered from zo's retirement. Te will be lightweights this season too. Rb in a state of flux. Changed punters from bojo...  No more john brown too. Drafted replacements zozo currently.

How? They have invested many draft picks into that area. Shit. I guess the solution is to keep drafting more linemen huh? 

Or maybe Beane finally talked fucking sense into McDermott and convinced him to join the 21st century. Doesn’t matter who you put on that defensive line...if you can’t score yourself you’re FUCKED. 

Get me guys that embarrass other teams defensive lines.

F5C9EAAC-C339-4CCE-A45C-3316E9597675.jpeg

*Bills invest heavily in defense since(and before)McDermott gets here*

the result

AA92198F-1E00-414C-A56D-A775B3B309FF.jpeg

KC weapons blowing past them....

16 minutes ago, seandelevan said:

How? They have invested many draft picks into that area. Shit. I guess the solution is to keep drafting more linemen huh? 

Or maybe Beane finally talked fucking sense into McDermott and convinced him to join the 21st century. Doesn’t matter who you put on that defensive line...if you can’t score yourself you’re FUCKED. 

Get me guys that embarrass other teams defensive lines.

Did you watch the Super Bowl? There's another ring on Brady's finger because of the pass rushers on defense. There would be one on Josh Allen's finger if he had the same pass rushers on the team.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rcas0308 said:

Did you watch the Super Bowl? There's another ring on Brady's finger because of the pass rushers on defense. There would be one on Josh Allen's finger if he had the same pass rushers on the team.

This has been thrown at me 17 times. And for the past 17 times I’ve said the same thing: Bucs still needed to score points. Which they did. With ease. Who knows what would have happened happened if half of KC’s o line wasn’t out. The Bucs D was good yes, but this was the same D that sTrUGgLeD against Taylor fucking Heinicke. 

Good times. Now we are discussing problems two years down the road. That’s a luxury we haven’t had since 20 years ...

Proud adopter of #54 AJ Klein and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Ninety-five Percents

3 hours ago, rcas0308 said:

Look at all the plug in stars they had fuctioning as a unit . We haven't signed one. JPP  most notable even without a thumb.

• Thanks 1

Couldn't the 4 yrs on Milano have been used for Clowney?  It's a crap shoot though. It was easiest to stick with last year's bunch. It's up to star to absorb all our agra.

5 hours ago, seandelevan said:

This has been thrown at me 17 times. And for the past 17 times I’ve said the same thing: Bucs still needed to score points. Which they did. With ease. Who knows what would have happened happened if half of KC’s o line wasn’t out. The Bucs D was good yes, but this was the same D that sTrUGgLeD against Taylor fucking Heinicke. 

Understood but there is also two less Super Bowl rings on Brady's fingers because of the Giants pass rush. Keep that in mind as well when you need to beat a prolific offense like they had. That may be the only way to beat a team like KC or Bucs today. 
I understand the Bills have to score points, that's something the Bills can do, especially when the defense is taking the pressure off them and they can just play their game. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nealpellecchia@yahoo said:

Look at all the plug in stars they had fuctioning as a unit . We haven't signed one. JPP  most notable even without a thumb.

I know we really don't match up with the Bucs or Chiefs because of it. Regardless how the media spins it. Peyton Manning needed Freeney and Mathis to get over the hump. Who do we have two old guys and a international player that started to play football at 22. We need to make a move before Allen's new deal kicks in.