Sign in to follow this  
HipKat

MAGA World says Biden's lost it.

Republican senators disagree.

Seven GOP senators who’ve met with Biden lately described him as cogent and well-versed on the issues they discussed.

For former President Donald Trump’s GOP allies, President Joe Biden’s recent stumble on the Air Force One stairs was a sign of bigger problems. But Republican senators who’ve met with Biden say the 78-year-old president is just fine, with one describing him as “sharp as a tack.”

Biden’s fitness for office, a longtime fixation among conservatives, is dominating conversations on the right as Trump openly sows doubts about the health of the man who defeated him. One Republican senator recently texted an acquaintance his private suspicions that Biden, the oldest president in history, is mentally unwell.

In on-the-record interviews, however, seven GOP senators who’ve met with Biden lately described him as cogent and well-versed on the issues they discussed. And none echoed the warnings many pro-Trump Republicans have issued about Biden amid the chatter about his stair-stepping acumen.

“In the two meetings I was in with the president, he was as sharp as a tack,” Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) said in an interview.

Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.), who joined Capito at a February meeting with Biden on Covid relief, said he didn’t see anything amiss: “I visited with him in the Oval Office, and he seemed well-prepared and well-briefed for the meeting.”

During the 2020 campaign, Biden — who stuttered as a child — weathered Trump’s attacks on his faculties, dismissing clips of his verbal tics and minor memory lapses. Trump’s allies are still trying to paint Biden as deteriorating in office, even after he stayed largely on-message fielding questions at a 62-minute Thursday press conference.

While the more centrist GOP senators interviewed this week wouldn’t criticize colleagues for floating unsubstantiated theories about Biden’s health, their varying reactions show an enduring gulf between those Republicans who publicly emulate Trump’s go-for-the-jugular politics — and those who shy away from it.

Of course, some pro-Trump GOP senators are willing to cross that line.

“It’s sad to see people age,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), a Trump ally who has been one of Biden’s most strident critics. Johnson added that he shares concerns about the president’s fitness: “I think many Americans do, from what we’ve seen. It is sad.”

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) appears to share similar concerns, though he has yet to share them publicly. He texted an acquaintance earlier this month to say that Biden reminds him of someone he knows who began developing Alzheimer’s disease.

“I of course have no medical training and can’t diagnose a condition — especially over someone I don’t personally interact daily — but from a distance I can see that he’s not doing well,” Lee wrote, according to private communications reviewed by POLITICO. “Sad. And disturbing.”

Lee’s office declined to comment further on those messages.

Since taking office, Biden has fostered relationships with a small group of moderate GOP senators, wooing some Republican votes for his various legislative priorities. And while those Republicans were frustrated that Biden pushed through a $1.9 trillion Covid aid bill without their votes, they apparently found him up to speed during their personal interactions.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), a medical doctor, said Biden “listened very attentively and appropriately” during their recent in-person meeting. Asked whether he disagrees with the assessment of some fellow Republicans airing more worries, Cassidy replied: “I just comment on what I see.”

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), who also joined February’s Oval Office meeting with Biden, echoed that sentiment. And a third Republican senator at that two-hour sitdown went even further.

“My experience in that one setting was that the president performed well,” said Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.). During his conversation with the 10 Republican senators who visited the White House, Moran recalled, the president didn’t rely on his staff or the vice president for information.

Several pro-Trump senators steered clear of Biden’s health in interviews, focusing their criticism on his agenda.

“What I’m concerned about in the Biden administration is the left-wing policies that are being put in place in the first couple of months in office,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) described Biden’s delay in holding a press conference, prior to Thursday, as “odd” and “weird.” Pressed on whether that relates to his health, the potential 2024 presidential contender demurred: “I don’t know the answer to that, and frankly I don’t think it really matters."

One of the 10 Republican senators who sought February’s Oval Office meeting with Biden also refused to weigh in on the president’s performance.

“I’m not going there,” Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said. “I’ll focus on the actual stuff he’s doing.”

After Thursday’s presidential press conference, Trump allies continued to question Biden’s acumen. “A President with cognitive decline is a national security risk,” tweeted Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.). “It’s time to stop dancing around that.”

Biden “struggled to make it through,” tweeted Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Texas), who previously served as White House physician to Trump and former President Barack Obama.

A Pentagon inspector general report recently concluded that Jackson abused alcohol and behaved inappropriately toward women while on the job at the White House.

The White House declined to comment on Republican claims about Biden’s health. But in the past, Biden campaign officials have dismissed such speculation as irresponsible nonsense.

Notably, ABC News reported last fall that the Department of Homeland Security had issued a bulletin warning Russia was spreading disinformation about Biden’s mental health in an attempt to influence the 2020 election.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Barf 1

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

Yup, we're going to believe these 7 guys over our very own eyes. Another lame post from Mr. Weaksauce. Try harder Greggy!

• Like 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

4 hours ago, HipKat said:

Seven GOP senators who’ve met with Biden lately described him as cogent and well-versed on the issues they discussed.

For former President Donald Trump’s GOP allies, President Joe Biden’s recent stumble on the Air Force One stairs was a sign of bigger problems. But Republican senators who’ve met with Biden say the 78-year-old president is just fine, with one describing him as “sharp as a tack.”

Biden’s fitness for office, a longtime fixation among conservatives, is dominating conversations on the right as Trump openly sows doubts about the health of the man who defeated him. One Republican senator recently texted an acquaintance his private suspicions that Biden, the oldest president in history, is mentally unwell.

In on-the-record interviews, however, seven GOP senators who’ve met with Biden lately described him as cogent and well-versed on the issues they discussed. And none echoed the warnings many pro-Trump Republicans have issued about Biden amid the chatter about his stair-stepping acumen.

“In the two meetings I was in with the president, he was as sharp as a tack,” Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) said in an interview.

Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.), who joined Capito at a February meeting with Biden on Covid relief, said he didn’t see anything amiss: “I visited with him in the Oval Office, and he seemed well-prepared and well-briefed for the meeting.”

During the 2020 campaign, Biden — who stuttered as a child — weathered Trump’s attacks on his faculties, dismissing clips of his verbal tics and minor memory lapses. Trump’s allies are still trying to paint Biden as deteriorating in office, even after he stayed largely on-message fielding questions at a 62-minute Thursday press conference.

While the more centrist GOP senators interviewed this week wouldn’t criticize colleagues for floating unsubstantiated theories about Biden’s health, their varying reactions show an enduring gulf between those Republicans who publicly emulate Trump’s go-for-the-jugular politics — and those who shy away from it.

“It’s sad to see people age,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), a Trump ally who has been one of Biden’s most strident critics. Johnson added that he shares concerns about the president’s fitness: “I think many Americans do, from what we’ve seen. It is sad.”

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) appears to share similar concerns, though he has yet to share them publicly. He texted an acquaintance earlier this month to say that Biden reminds him of someone he knows who began developing Alzheimer’s disease.

“I of course have no medical training and can’t diagnose a condition — especially over someone I don’t personally interact daily — but from a distance I can see that he’s not doing well,” Lee wrote, according to private communications reviewed by POLITICO. “Sad. And disturbing.”

Since taking office, Biden has fostered relationships with a small group of moderate GOP senators, wooing some Republican votes for his various legislative priorities. And while those Republicans were frustrated that Biden pushed through a $1.9 trillion Covid aid bill without their votes, they apparently found him up to speed during their personal interactions.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), a medical doctor, said Biden “listened very attentively and appropriately” during their recent in-person meeting. Asked whether he disagrees with the assessment of some fellow Republicans airing more worries, Cassidy replied: “I just comment on what I see.”

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), who also joined February’s Oval Office meeting with Biden, echoed that sentiment. And a third Republican senator at that two-hour sitdown went even further.

“My experience in that one setting was that the president performed well,” said Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.). During his conversation with the 10 Republican senators who visited the White House, Moran recalled, the president didn’t rely on his staff or the vice president for information.

Several pro-Trump senators steered clear of Biden’s health in interviews, focusing their criticism on his agenda.

“What I’m concerned about in the Biden administration is the left-wing policies that are being put in place in the first couple of months in office,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) described Biden’s delay in holding a press conference, prior to Thursday, as “odd” and “weird.” Pressed on whether that relates to his health, the potential 2024 presidential contender demurred: “I don’t know the answer to that, and frankly I don’t think it really matters."

One of the 10 Republican senators who sought February’s Oval Office meeting with Biden also refused to weigh in on the president’s performance.

“I’m not going there,” Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said. “I’ll focus on the actual stuff he’s doing.”

After Thursday’s presidential press conference, Trump allies continued to question Biden’s acumen. “A President with cognitive decline is a national security risk,” tweeted Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.). “It’s time to stop dancing around that.”

Biden “struggled to make it through,” tweeted Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Texas), who previously served as White House physician to Trump and former President Barack Obama.

A Pentagon inspector general report recently concluded that Jackson abused alcohol and behaved inappropriately toward women while on the job at the White House.

The White House declined to comment on Republican claims about Biden’s health. But in the past, Biden campaign officials have dismissed such speculation as irresponsible nonsense.

Notably, ABC News reported last fall that the Department of Homeland Security had issued a bulletin warning Russia was spreading disinformation about Biden’s mental health in an attempt to influence the 2020 election.

LOL

42 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

Yup, we're going to believe these 7 guys over our very own eyes. Another lame post from Mr. Weaksauce. Try harder Greggy!

Hey dumbfuck, I've said since the election he looks old and he looks tired. Don't take it out on me because you don't like the article

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

Seek help. soflabillsfan

Keep on propping the old bastard up.  LOL.  At some point in the near future, they will not be able to cover for him and the result is going to be eye opening to a great many.  Wait and see.

magaworld is dead. he will never have credibility to the vast majority of people after what he did. his zombie parrots is all he has left

his comeback attempt will fade as the guilty verdicts start stacking up

• Trump 1

One set of rules for all in The Beloved Community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, HipKat said:

The article has an obvious agenda and seeks to bolster Biden in any way possible.  A fluff piece if there ever was one.  That is not journalism.

7 minutes ago, Meathead said:

magaworld is dead. he will never have credibility to the vast majority of people after what he did. his zombie parrots is all he has left

You're a fool, Meat.  Seriously, a fool.  I for one am not calling for nor expecting some big "comeback".  Grow up.  Trump's time is likely over, but it served a definite purpose.  Let me know when all these "guilty verdicts start stacking up" and the man is in jail.  LOL.  It's not going to happen.  Try to get over your sick and sad obsession with Donald Trump.  YOU are actually the one with the problem, guy.  Why do you insist on making an ass of yourself over and over?  Have at it, though.  I find it entertaining as hell.

30 minutes ago, Thebowflexbody said:

You're a fool, Meat.  Seriously, a fool.  I for one am not calling for nor expecting some big "comeback".  Grow up.  Trump's time is likely over, but it served a definite purpose.  Let me know when all these "guilty verdicts start stacking up" and the man is in jail.  LOL.  It's not going to happen.  Try to get over your sick and sad obsession with Donald Trump.  YOU are actually the one with the problem, guy.  Why do you insist on making an ass of yourself over and over?  Have at it, though.  I find it entertaining as hell.

Ignore it.

Let him and the others babble on about Trump going to jail till the cows come home.

Wake me up when it actually happens.

10 hours ago, Meathead said:

And when you are found wanting for any siminal thought and being 100% wrong...will you admit it?  No... you are incapable of owning hard truths,  and espousing cogent thought without tainting it with you misguided misgivings.  Pathetic as you tout yourself as some bastion of truth.  Goebels would have been proud

"The walls are closing in," right @Meathead?

donald trump laughing GIF

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Imagine how Republicans would react if Biden did this to himself everyday.'

Seek help. soflabillsfan