Jump to content
LiterateStylish

Belichick used to send Gronk out on Hail Mary defense

Recommended Posts

Yeah I mean you don't even have to stay with someone in coverage. You just gotta stand in front of them and jump at the right time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I remember Moulds was used in this manner all the time as well. 

I didn't realize Hopkins is only 6'1. And he still skied over everyone. Get a 6'4 or 6'5 guy in there...never comes close. Knox or Davis or maybe even Diggs? 

Marvin McLewis strikes again. 


miserable that 70s show GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, seandelevan said:

And I remember Moulds was used in this manner all the time as well. 

I didn't realize Hopkins is only 6'1. And he still skied over everyone. Get a 6'4 or 6'5 guy in there...never comes close. Knox or Davis or maybe even Diggs? 

Marvin McLewis strikes again. 

Even Gabe Davis.

Instead we had a bunch of small DB’s on him.


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knox might try to knock the ball up like a volleyball and the opposing player catches it. I can see that happening.:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our coaching staff is too concerned with trying to salt away 6-point leads with 9:43 left in the 3rd quarter to be bothered with that kind of foresight.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tre White is overrated. This was an example. DBs usually are not WRs because they are too slow or too short or bad hands. Our best hands may be Diggs or Hyde. We didn't have any hi-jumpers who could out-reach Hopkins on the play. I doubt McD told them to bat it down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

Tre White is overrated. This was an example. DBs usually are not WRs because they are too slow or too short or bad hands. Our best hands may be Diggs or Hyde. We didn't have any hi-jumpers who could out-reach Hopkins on the play. I doubt McD told them to bat it down...

Huh? Tre was right there. Just doesn’t have the height.


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LiterateStylish said:

Because you need someone tall that can jump and swat.

I wonder if we even considered Knox.

His brick hands can knock any ball away.

I thought about that after they used their last timeout. Problem is I don’t know if we really have a guy that would be good at that. Maybe davis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LiterateStylish said:

Huh? Tre was right there. Just doesn’t have the height.

What?  He's an all pro CB who covers guys on all sorts of routes, including jump balls in the endzone, all the time.  You really would like to have had Gabe Davis covering Hopkins?  Is that something you'd really like to have said? 

It wasn't even pure hail mary time...they could have thrown a quicker pass.  

It was a freak play that the Bills were 100% in the a great position to defend but it just didn't work out.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Gronk not get beat because he took a crap angle in the “Miami miracle”?  Wasn’t that the play that changed the whole seeding allowing KC to get home field advantage and the bye?

 

ya, great decision.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half of you DBs had Covid. You have two practice squad guys playing. Why not have Knox out there? Some coaches can think outside the box. McDermott/Frazier coach this defense like Jauron.

  • Thanks 1

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VolsBillsMagic said:

I thought about that after they used their last timeout. Problem is I don’t know if we really have a guy that would be good at that. Maybe davis?

I mean, all you have to be good at is being tall and jumping.


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bleedzbillz said:

Did Gronk not get beat because he took a crap angle in the “Miami miracle”?  Wasn’t that the play that changed the whole seeding allowing KC to get home field advantage and the bye?

ya, great decision.

Miami miracle wasn’t a Hail Mary.


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Buffalo13 said:

What?  He's an all pro CB who covers guys on all sorts of routes, including jump balls in the endzone, all the time.  You really would like to have had Gabe Davis covering Hopkins?  Is that something you'd really like to have said? 

It wasn't even pure hail mary time...they could have thrown a quicker pass.  

It was a freak play that the Bills were 100% in the a great position to defend but it just didn't work out.  

Lol it was Hail Mary time. Their entire receiving core was in the end zone or near the end zone.

ps, putting Gabe in doesn’t mean removing Tre...

 


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

Miami miracle wasn’t a Hail Mary.

 

No, but Gronk was on the field for a potential Hail Mary attempt, certainly not for his tackling skills.  They decided to lateral because they were too far away.  It was a mistake to have him out there.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to have anyone other then the guys we had out there.  We just need to play the jump ball smarter.  If Poyer hadn’t knocked White out of position he would have freed the ball from Hopkins grip.  Watch the replay, If White is not knocked down by Poyer he jumps straight up and down allowing him to make the game saving play.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bleedzbillz said:

No, but Gronk was on the field for a potential Hail Mary attempt, certainly not for his tackling skills.  They decided to lateral because they were too far away.  It was a mistake to have him out there.

Miami miracle wasn’t a Hail Mary.

So I don’t see what relevance it has...


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buffalochief2 said:

No need to have anyone other then the guys we had out there.  We just need to play the jump ball smarter.  If Poyer hadn’t knocked White out of position he would have freed the ball from Hopkins grip.  Watch the replay, If White is not knocked down by Poyer he jumps straight up and down allowing him to make the game saving play.  

No chance.

Hopkins was taller and has bigger hands.

There is nothing stopping that.


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

Lol it was Hail Mary time. Their entire receiving core was in the end zone or near the end zone.

ps, putting Gabe in doesn’t mean removing Tre...

The play started with 3 receivers to the right and Hopkins to the left. When the ball was launched one receiver was 8 yards down the field. One was 18 yards down the field. One receiver was at the 10 yard line and Hopkins was in the endzone. That is certainly not a designed Hail Mary. It's an 11 second, we'll send a guy deep but also try to get a guy underneath at the sideline (they had him, 8 yards away) and still have time for one shot play. Murray knew his scramble was costing time and decided to let it go long.

Now, you can say, with 11 seconds left they maybe should have had Knox or somebody tall who can jump out there, and there certainly can be some credibility, especially in hindsight. But you can't say it was a Hail Mary all the way and that the entire receiving core was in or near the endzone. That's not even close.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bumbles247 said:

The play started with 3 receivers to the right and Hopkins to the left. When the ball was launched one receiver was 8 yards down the field. One was 18 yards down the field. One receiver was at the 10 yard line and Hopkins was in the endzone. That is certainly not a designed Hail Mary. It's an 11 second, we'll send a guy deep but also try to get a guy underneath at the sideline (they had him, 8 yards away) and still have time for one shot play. Murray knew his scramble was costing time and decided to let it go long.

Now, you can say, with 11 seconds left they maybe should have had Knox or somebody tall who can jump out there, and there certainly can be some credibility, especially in hindsight. But you can't say it was a Hail Mary all the way and that the entire receiving core was in or near the endzone. That's not even close.

I really don’t care where receivers were when the ball was launched, as Hail Mary balls are often thrown before the receivers get in the end zone (part of the reason they’re arc’ed so much).

1) Murray literally said after the game that the play was a roll out left for a Hail Mary. 

2) When Hopkins puts a finger on the ball, he is in the end zone and another WR is at the 1 yard line.

3) Again, Murray literally said after the game that the play was a roll out left for a Hail Mary.

He also talked about how they practice it every week.

It was a Hail Mary all day.

If they throw to the receiver in the middle of the field, games over. They had no timeouts. Zero chance they all get back to the line and clock it with 4 seconds left and ticking. It was never ever ever going there.

 


96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LiterateStylish said:

I really don’t care where receivers were when the ball was launched, as Hail Mary balls are often thrown before the receivers get in the end zone (part of the reason they’re arc’ed so much).

1) Murray literally said after the game that the play was a roll out left for a Hail Mary. 

2) When Hopkins puts a finger on the ball, he is in the end zone and another WR is at the 1 yard line.

3) Again, Murray literally said after the game that the play was a roll out left for a Hail Mary.

He also talked about how they practice it every week.

It was a Hail Mary all day.

If they throw to the receiver in the middle of the field, games over. They had no timeouts. Zero chance they all get back to the line and clock it with 4 seconds left and ticking. It was never ever ever going there.

Okay then. I didn't hear Murray say that. Agree the receiver in the middle of the field was useless. The 4th receiver was 8 yards away and on the sideline. He wasn't playing Hail Mary. He was playing 11 seconds left let's get a quick 8 more yards to be closer on the final play.  In the aftermath it's easy for Murray to say yeah, Hopkins all the way. And he probably felt that way. But the play call, as Murray himself said, came with options and the with the expectation of having two plays, not your normal, send 3-4 guys into one spot in the endzone  and pray Hail Mary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/16/fmia-week-10-inside-the-hail-murray-and-how-the-cardinals-got-it-done/

 

“When I got ready to take the snap, I’m trying to diagnose the defense, see if there’s any holes. Anything easy. I still figured I probably had two plays, two shots at it. The play was designed to roll out left, like I said, and they did a good job of containing,” Murray said. Per Peter Schrager of Good Morning Football this morning, the first option here was a drag route to Isabella (maybe 20 yards downfield, then an incut all the way across the field), or if there looked to be a hole to drop one into Hopkins, fine."

“I looked downfield, I locked in on Hop. And what was weird was, he was the only player on our team in the end zone.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bumbles247 said:

Okay then. I didn't hear Murray say that. Agree the receiver in the middle of the field was useless. The 4th receiver was 8 yards away and on the sideline. He wasn't playing Hail Mary. He was playing 11 seconds left let's get a quick 8 more yards to be closer on the final play.  In the aftermath it's easy for Murray to say yeah, Hopkins all the way. And he probably felt that way. But the play call, as Murray himself said, came with options and the with the expectation of having two plays, not your normal, send 3-4 guys into one spot in the endzone  and pray Hail Mary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/16/fmia-week-10-inside-the-hail-murray-and-how-the-cardinals-got-it-done/

“When I got ready to take the snap, I’m trying to diagnose the defense, see if there’s any holes. Anything easy. I still figured I probably had two plays, two shots at it. The play was designed to roll out left, like I said, and they did a good job of containing,” Murray said. Per Peter Schrager of Good Morning Football this morning, the first option here was a drag route to Isabella (maybe 20 yards downfield, then an incut all the way across the field), or if there looked to be a hole to drop one into Hopkins, fine."

“I looked downfield, I locked in on Hop. And what was weird was, he was the only player on our team in the end zone.”

I agree it wasn’t a “send everyone to the endzone” Hail Mary, but it was still a Hail Mary.

It was “send 2 guys to the endzone and if the Bills don’t cover the up man 8 yards away then throw it to him and try again the next play”.

There was 0 chance they’re throwing to a middle crosser. Game would have been over.

I wouldn’t have even covered the guy 8 yards away.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...