Sign in to follow this  
LiterateStylish

I actually think the defense was fine - the running was by design

I think your right. This was absolutely by design. The LBs were playing 8 yards off the ball at times. It actually almost worked. If they got that fumble at the end, they may have taken the lead. Its a passing league and the Bills forced KC to run. Of course the Bills couldnt pass either so that was bad. 

• Thanks 1

Just my 2 Cents

The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"It's time for the Jedi to end." - Luke Skywalker: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

''We will always be with you. No one's ever really gone.'' - Luke Skywalker Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

#Cup or Bust 2020 #Bowl or Bust 2020

I agree.  

Still our inability to both run and stop the run is concerning.  You don't give up 160 yards to someone with a hyphenated last name.  People with hyphenated last names are either:

1)  Mean high-ranking female executives or

2)  Male British cockney rock stars posing as blue bloods.  

Also, when Josh misses a couple of throws early on, we need to keep chucking it.  They finally opened it up and we scored. 

Running on 1st and 2nd down produces 3rd and long for us.  That's not the down to settle your QB into a rhythm.

Mahomes confirm it in his interview afterward. He said that they went coverage heavy so they decided to commit to the run. 

17 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

I think a lot of that was by design.

They held them to 26 points.

That’s all you can ask for from your defense against the best offense in the NFL.

Only ONE (1) team in their the Chiefs last 13 games have kept them under 26 points.

One... in 13b

They scored 26 on the Patriots defense too.

I believe McD purposefully put a small line on the field and let the Chiefs do some damage in the running game, because that takes the ball out of Mahomes hands and also slows the game down:

And as far as points go... it worked.

You're kidding yourself if you think the defense played fine. Andy Reid did not even attempt to unleash his weapons as he realized they were in complete control. KC's passing offense wasn't even used. If the game would have ever been in question Mahommes would have marched them right down the field. Additionally what was up with the 2 unsportsman like penalties against our prized D players Poyer & White, no discipline. The way our D is playing Miami deserves to win the division, at least they play with heart compared to Buffalo's lackadaisical D.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sucked In Again said:

You're kidding yourself if you think the defense played fine. Andy Reid did not even attempt to unleash his weapons as he realized they were in complete control. KC's passing offense wasn't even used. If the game would have ever been in question Mahommes would have marched them right down the field. Additionally what was up with the 2 unsportsman like penalties against our prized D players Poyer & White, no discipline. The way our D is playing Miami deserves to win the division, at least they play with heart compared to Buffalo's lackadaisical D.

That’s just not true at all.

Reid did not intentionally only score 26 points.

That’s the 2nd worst offensive output in the Chiefs last 13 games.

Defense played well enough to win. The offense didn’t show up at all.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

Ding ding ding. Even Aikman figured this out mid third quarter. I hardly even paid attention when the defense was on the field because I knew what was up. I was basically thinking “hey just slow them down a bit to give our a offense a break and game plan”

I paid attention to the offense. How was the offense responding? Too bad our supposed high octane offense fell to fucking shit.

• Thanks 1

miserable that 70s show GIF

Just now, LiterateStylish said:

That’s just not true at all.

Reid did not intentionally only score 26 points.

That’s the 2nd worst offensive output in the Chiefs last 13 games.

Defense played well enough to win. The offense didn’t show up at all.

Disagree, Reid would have been able to score at will if needed. He was content using the clock running the ball. Mahommes strength is utilizing his passing game and only attempted 26 passes. Trent Edwards could have handed the ball off as well as Mahommes did in this game.

Which goes to show poor coaching. Failed to adjust when they were running all over the D. They knew the run was coming and still couldn't stop them, they couldn't stop them on 3rd down when Mahomes passed it either. As bad as Allen was, the run game still didn't show up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sucked In Again said:

Disagree, Reid would have been able to score at will if needed. He was content using the clock running the ball. Mahommes strength is utilizing his passing game and only attempted 26 passes. Trent Edwards could have handed the ball off as well as Mahommes did in this game.

That’s the complete opposite of what Mahomes and Reid said after the game, but sure, you go ahead and keep thinking that.

4 minutes ago, Baldat28 said:

Which goes to show poor coaching. Failed to adjust when they were running all over the D. They knew the run was coming and still couldn't stop them, they couldn't stop them on 3rd down when Mahomes passed it either. As bad as Allen was, the run game still didn't show up.

No.

There was nothing that coaching can do in that situation.

If you bring 9 into the box to stop the run, Mahomes beats you over the top and it turns into a track meet.

All that matters is POINTS.

They held the Chiefs to 26 points.

The Chiefs have scored more than 26 points in 11 of their last 13 games.

The defense needed to get the ball back to our offense one more time and they couldn't.

The Pat Mahomes scrambles were unacceptable.  He can't run. 

We lost yesterday because our offense sucked ass.   Running backs sucked, running into lineman's butts.  Line sucked blocking.  And Allen reverted to 2018-2019 cant pinpoint his target to save his life, giving away TDs by over or under throwing people.

• Thanks 1

Sin is nothing to celebrate, have pride in, or hold parades for. The rainbow is a symbol of promise not a symbol of depravity.

18 minutes ago, miamibillsnut said:

We lost yesterday because our offense sucked ass.   Running backs sucked, running into lineman's butts.  Line sucked blocking.  And Allen reverted to 2018-2019 cant pinpoint his target to save his life, giving away TDs by over or under throwing people.

Correct.

Lol

No, just no. 

37 minutes of time of possession. Over 64% third down conversion. A 4th down given up for a score, 4 drives of 10 or more plays and 5 drives of 75+ yards. Over 240 on the ground. 

WTF are you talking about Lit ??? The defense was straight up garbage. Just because Mahomes didn't light us up ala Tanehill doesn't make this any less of another shit performance. I understand what they tried to do. But death by a thousand cuts instead of beheading is still death. It didn't work. 

And this is not me excusing the offense. They were equally as bad, probably worst. 

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

17 minutes ago, Victor7 said:

Lol

No, just no. 

37 minutes of time of possession. Over 64% third down conversion. A 4th down given up for a score, 4 drives of 10 or more plays and 5 drives of 75+ yards. Over 240 on the ground. 

WTF are you talking about Lit ??? The defense was straight up garbage. Just because Mahomes didn't light us up ala Tanehill doesn't make this any less of another shit performance. I understand what they tried to do. But death by a thousand cuts instead of beheading is still death. It didn't work. 

And this is not me excusing the offense. They were equally as bad, probably worst. 

After I posted this, Mahomes, Reed and McDermott all confirmed that the Bills did it on purpose.

In other words, Lit was right.

They were more than happy to take the ball out of Mahomes hand and let them run the ball, as that churns the clock.

All that matters is points.

- Yards don't matter. Points matter.

- 1st downs don't matter. Points matter.

- A thousand cuts don't matter. Points matter.

Bills D held them to 26 points by using this method that McD admitted to and I noticed mid-game.

Only ONE team other team in their last 13 games has held them to less than 26 points.

1 ... in 13.

Bills are better than 12 of their last 13 opponents in limiting their points.

6 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

After I posted this, Mahomes, Reed and McDermott all confirmed that the Bills did it on purpose.

In other words, Lit was right.

They were more than happy to take the ball out of Mahomes hand and let them run the ball, as that churns the clock.

All that matters is points.

- Yards don't matter. Points matter.

- 1st downs don't matter. Points matter.

- A thousand cuts don't matter. Points matter.

Bills D held them to 26 points by using this method that McD admitted to and I noticed mid-game.

Only ONE team other team in their last 13 games has held them to less than 26 points.

1 ... in 13.

Bills are better than 12 of their last 13 opponents in limiting their points.

I know they said that. Read it since yesterday after the game. I know the strategy they tried. It didn't work because our D was hot garbage. 

You can slice it anyway you want. But all those first downs, TOP, 3rd down conversions, the long drives, being run over like a bulldozer have its effects on both the D and the O. They demoralize, they take away any momentum we could've built. 

You know enough football man. Don't over simplify it to just saying it worked because they didn't light up the score board. 

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

The Bills could have stopped the run with more run support, run blitzing etc as in a normal game.  However, Mahomes and his talented wr's would have killed us over the top and often.  You stop the run, they score big time with their passing attack.  Mahomes has tossed multiple td's in a qtr of play.  That strategy would have given  KC another 25 points.

The undermanned run defense did their best with what they were told to do and tried to do.  This was a game of chess by McD and almost succeeded.

We lost for 2 reasons IMO:

1.  We could not stop the run

2.  We could not run or pass

Now I'm sure KC wanted to put 50 up on us, they didn't so letting them run did keep the score low, but we allowed KC a 2 score lead when we simply could not afford to.  Play calling in the 1st half sucked period.  Our run game just aint there this year. 

Allen started off cold, going straight to run run pass did no one any favors.  We lost cause Mcd is too fucking conservative.  We should've been forcing Allen to throw the entire game...

8 minutes ago, Down and Out said:

We lost for 2 reasons IMO:

1.  We could not stop the run

2.  We could not run or pass

Completely wrong.

I could tell on the first offensive drive it was going to be a long night. \

2 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

Completely wrong.

Please point to the potent run game we had last night outside of Allen?  The passing attack was inconsistent from drive to drive as was the play calling.  Mcd should've taken more chances on defense and blitzed a time or two.   The defense got gassed largely due to the inconsistent offense.  There had to be a happy medium between letting them run and letting them run wild.  It was a conservative approach to a "one" shot type of game.   I agree KC took what we gave them, I disagree that at times we could've taken chances at getting at Mahomes...I digress we did not and we lost.

3 hours ago, eliteqb said:

The Bills could have stopped the run with more run support, run blitzing etc as in a normal game.  However, Mahomes and his talented wr's would have killed us over the top and often.  You stop the run, they score big time with their passing attack.  Mahomes has tossed multiple td's in a qtr of play.  That strategy would have given  KC another 25 points.

The undermanned run defense did their best with what they were told to do and tried to do.  This was a game of chess by McD and almost succeeded.

Yep.

They purposefully gave the defense very little run support.

1 hour ago, Down and Out said:

Please point to the potent run game we had last night outside of Allen?  The passing attack was inconsistent from drive to drive as was the play calling.  Mcd should've taken more chances on defense and blitzed a time or two.   The defense got gassed largely due to the inconsistent offense.  There had to be a happy medium between letting them run and letting them run wild.  It was a conservative approach to a "one" shot type of game.   I agree KC took what we gave them, I disagree that at times we could've taken chances at getting at Mahomes...I digress we did not and we lost.

I was speaking to point #1.

I don’t think our defense was an issue.