Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Moran

CLIP: Jay SKurski Talks Bills Worrisome LB Depth

Here's a clip of Jay Skurki of The Buffalo News  speaking on the Bills shaky depth at LB behind stud starters Tremaine Edmunds & Matt Milano

This is an antiquated way of thinking. What teams in the NFL have great linebacker depth?

NFL offense are in 3 WR sets 60 % of the time so defense take a linebacker off the field and depth and the need to have quality depth at linebacker is less of a need than it was 15 or 20 years ago when NFL offenses were in base offenses with a TE and FB on the field.

You can question the linebacker depth of every team in the NFL. What happens New England  if Dont'a Hightower gets injured?

It would be a waste of resources to invest high draft picks on back up linebackers when NFL teams play base defense for only 30% of the time.

Vosean Joseph can step in for Milano or Klein in the base defense if either player gets injured. Klein can play MLB if Edmunds gets injured. Obviously an injury to Edmunds or Milano hurts Buffalo's defense but the same can be said of literally any NFL teams 2 top linebackers.

You have finite resources with a salary cap and draft picks and can't put everything into the linebacker position to have excellent starters and excellent depth when the NFL is a pass happy spread offense 60% of the time. If this was in the 1950's and teams had a run heavy offense than LB depth would be a bigger issue.

This has been going on for years at this point, of course, but we reiterate it this year because we've reached a milestone. For the first time since we began tracking personnel in 2011, base defenses were used on fewer than 25 percent of all snaps. And, for the first time, nickel defenses were used on more than 60 percent of all snaps. It's a trend that's been going on for years, but it's always interesting to see these whole-number milestones go past.

Defensive Personnel Groupings
Personnel 2017 Pct 2018 Pct Difference 2018 DVOA
Nickel 52.3% 60.5% +8.2% 1.6%
Base 33.1% 25.0% -8.1% -3.4%
Dime+ 12.9% 13.3% +0.4% 0.9%
Goal Line 1.0% 0.8% -0.2% -4.9%
Big 0.7% 0.3% -0.4% -38.3%

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-defensive-personnel-analysis

• Thanks 1

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

plus if mcbean are concerned about it, there will be plenty of solid veterans they can bring in after cut downs. it would be harder this season with a shorter preseason period (if they play games at all), but they could coach up a vet pretty quick if they thought it was big enough an upgrade

• Like 1

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

The depth is worrisome if Edmunds and/or Milano go down.

Otherwise, this is a non issue.

I bitch about LB depth yearly. I've never been completely sold on Milano, he's a nice player, but we could do better. And I thought this prior to last years playoff whiff that cost us the game. It would have been nice to draft 1 or 2 lb's to compete. 

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets............

26 minutes ago, The Chosen said:

I bitch about LB depth yearly. I've never been completely sold on Milano, he's a nice player, but we could do better. And I thought this prior to last years playoff whiff that cost us the game. It would have been nice to draft 1 or 2 lb's to compete. 

There is a drop off in the defense when Milano isn't playing. He plays a key role as a coverage linebacker in the nickel defense.

Neal and Milano missed a tackle on Watson but that is just one play and there were many plays that cost Buffalo the game including 2 egregious call be the Refs.

We will see if Beane  re-signs Milano after the season is done, or brings in an OLB through the draft or free agency.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

45 minutes ago, LIBills said:

The depth is worrisome if Edmunds and/or Milano go down.

Otherwise, this is a non issue.

That is a good point but it can be said of any team in the NFL.

New England lost Jamie Collins to Detroit, and Kyle Van Noy to Miami in free agency.

What happens to the Patriots linebacker if Dont'a Hightower is injured?

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg