Sign in to follow this  
zanthrax54

BBR: Should the Buffalo Bills lock up Matt Milano with a new contract this offseason? (poll)

NFL: Buffalo Bills at Minnesota VikingsBrace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

A contract extension for Matt Milano would not be cheap

One of the hot topics this off-season for fans of the Buffalo Bills centers around a potential contract extension for linebacker Matt Milano. In this episode of Breaking Buffalo Rumblings, the conversation focuses on what that extension could cost the Bills.

The discussion includes some details included in this article from from March that was written by Matt Warren, which goes into some of the specifics on a potential extension. A new contract for Milano will certainly not come cheap, with early comparable deals in the range of $12-$13.5 million per season.

I would encourage you to give it a read before listening to the podcast. Also be sure to vote in the poll located below, and share your thoughts in the comments section.

Subscribe to the Buffalo Rumblings podcast channel featuring Billieve, Blitzed Bills, Buffalo Rumblings Q&A, Breaking Buffalo Rumblings, The Bruce Exclusive, Chat with NickBat, and Circling the Wagons:

Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify | Podbean | iHeartRadio | TuneIn | Megaphone

Ask Alexa or Google Home to play the Buffalo Rumblings podcast!

Editor’s note: If you’re viewing this article on Apple News, the embedded audio will be removed. Click through to the site in your browser or listen on iTunes.

View the full article

The Buffalo Bills....

:rolleyes2

REBUILDING SINCE 2000!

To Fitzpatrick, Levitre, Kelsay, Mcgee, Barnett, Wilson, Jones, Nelson, Rinehart, McIntyre, Merriman, Shepperd, Scott, White, Wanny, and Mr. Chan Gailey...

It was real, it was fun, it just wasn't REAL FUN!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEWVILLE MUD DAWGS FEVER BABY! We might not be very good right now, but we have infinite heart! Alot like the Bills! ;) HALLA!

http://www.muddawgsfootball.com

I'm not sure I'm willing to give Milano 12m + a year...he's good but 12 million is an awful lot to commit to him, with a lot of others coming up for contract extensions too

• Thanks 1

I'm on the fence on this one.

Milano is an outstanding player, but he can be a shaky tackler at times, so I don't know if he is worth north of 12 mill for this team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LIBills said:

I'm on the fence on this one.

Milano is an outstanding player, but he can be a shaky tackler at times, so I don't know if he is worth north of 12 mill for this team.

Word.  This play comes to mind.  Beane should bring this video with him to the negotiating table. :niterider:

watson.gif

• Thanks 1

process.jpg

Fuck this team

I'll tie a frying pan to my ass so you hurt your penis, you ****ing homo!

Shut the fuck up dark cloud pussy

Anyone who is foolish enough to not be a Buffalo Bills fan can go f*ck themselves with a wooden shovel handle.

image-trump-emoticon.png

also, all that shit in your signature is beyond annoying. just like you.

5 minutes ago, Woody said:

Word.  This play comes to mind.  Beane should bring this video with him to the negotiating table. :niterider:

watson.gif

That was a terrible play, but one play doesn't define your career. Milano is very important due to his coverage ability in the nickel defense along with Edmunds.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

5 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

I'm not sure I'm willing to give Milano 12m + a year...he's good but 12 million is an awful lot to commit to him, with a lot of others coming up for contract extensions too

It costs money to keep good players that you have developed on your team. I would rather pay Milano than have a downgrade by drafting anther LB and then having to develop him.

Beane has plenty of cap room to sign both Dawkins and Milano to longterm deals. And if he needs to get more cap room he can trade or cut Murphy, cut Hauschka, cut Smith.

• Thanks 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

4 hours ago, Woody said:

watson.gif

I still don’t understand how that happened.

I really don’t.

One guy missing? It happens.

Two guys missing? Wtf?

• Thanks 1

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

I still don’t understand how that happened.

I really don’t.

One guy missing? It happens.

Two guys missing? Wtf?

To me it looks like Neal thought Milano had him and Milano thought Neal had him so they both half-assed their tackles.  They should have wrecked Watson.  :niterider:

process.jpg

Fuck this team

Anyone who is foolish enough to not be a Buffalo Bills fan can go f*ck themselves with a wooden shovel handle.

image-trump-emoticon.png

3 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

That was a terrible play, but one play doesn't define your career. Milano is very important due to his coverage ability in the nickel defense along with Edmunds.

That was the best that Milano could do in the game of his life, during the play of his life.  I'm all for keeping him around but I better not see the Bills overpaying for him.  :niterider:

process.jpg

Fuck this team

image-trump-emoticon.png

4 hours ago, Woody said:

watson.gif

This play is on par with the MCM as one of the worst plays in Bills history.

• Thanks 1

i dont think they can afford to keep him

theyve got other guys that theyll need to pay. i dont have the numbers the the talent on this team has increased dramatically since mcbean got here. theres going to be a lot of mouths to feed and i think milano is going to be borderline justifiable to pay that kind of money

i like him, would love to keep him, but you cant keep everybody. i think eventually he misses the cut

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

The defense is noticeably worse when he isn't out there. I dont think he is going to command 12M + on the open market. He's not a middle LB, he isn't a pass rusher, and he isn't great in pass coverage. He has a nose for the ball and makes splash plays here and there. I think they should keep him, but I don't think he'll command that much. We have a ton of cap going forward, and rewarding onfield success is a good way to motivate others.

Front load a 5 year deal with outs after year 3. As a 5th rounder with an injury history, I think he takes that.

flat,550x550,075,f.u5.jpg

There are ways to manipulate the salary cap to free up space like restructuring other players contracts, trading or cuting players, etc,  or to structure the contract of Matt Milano make it fit under the cap ie back loading the contract.

Buffalo is currently $19,317,077 under the 2020 salary cap. Any unused salary cap space this year can be rolled over to the 2021 salary cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Beane drafted AJ Epenesa and signed DE Mario Addison and DT/DE Quinton Jefferson in free agency. Jerry Hughes and Darryl Johsnon are already on the team, so there is talent and depth at DE. Cutting or trading Trent Murphy free's up $8,025,000 of 2020 salary cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/trent-murphy-14456/

Stephen Hauschka was unrealiable on long distance FG's last year. McDermott didn't have the confidence in Hauschka to hit a 49 yard FG in a dome stadium in the playoff game. That is the reason why Beane drafted Tyler Bass, because of his big leg. Cutting Hauschka frees up $2,425,000 of 2020 salary cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/steven-hauschka-5476/

Lee Smith is a very good blocking TE but he is one dimensional and Tommy Sweeney could beat him out for a roster spot. Cutting Smith frees up $1,750,000 in 2020 salary cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lee-smith-7878/

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

2 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

The defense is noticeably worse when he isn't out there. I dont think he is going to command 12M + on the open market. He's not a middle LB, he isn't a pass rusher, and he isn't great in pass coverage. He has a nose for the ball and makes splash plays here and there. I think they should keep him, but I don't think he'll command that much. We have a ton of cap going forward, and rewarding onfield success is a good way to motivate others.

Front load a 5 year deal with outs after year 3. As a 5th rounder with an injury history, I think he takes that.

I don’t know.

i think he is going to see what he is worth on the open market.

I don’t think he re-signs here.

Just my opinion. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Milano is under rated but plays a big role in McDermott's defense especially on 3rd downs as a nickel LB.

IMO Dawkins is a priority to re-sign because he protects Allen's blind side, but Milano is the 2nd priorty.  Both players can be re-signed.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg