Sign in to follow this  
LiterateStylish

McDermott: “Tell me one reason” why the Pats shouldn’t be the Favorites

It's called coach speak. Belichick does this when he lists off and praises every player on the team he is playing the the Wednesday press conference before the game.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

1 - Tom Brady is gone. 
2 - Tom Brady has not been replaced with anywhere near Tom Brady. 
3 - Buffalo should be foaming at the mouth ready to cease the opportunity. 

I assume number 3 is true and coach M is looking to avoid giving the worst nemesis in Bills/NFL history any Extra motivation. 

30 minutes ago, Meathead said:

its not just the pumpkin festival queen switching carriages when shes just about to turn back into an ugly step sister

that franchise is sitting on top of a bunch of disadvantages

1. no transexual goat

2. no heir apparent fair young maiden ready to go (like jimmy g would have been). multiple reports say stidham has been no better than a typical 2nd year 4th rounder, which means he got a season of growing pains coming up before he can even think of being a consistently competent nfl starter, let alone the dominant point of the offense

3. weak supporting cast on offense. the only area of relative strength is the top three wideouts, but even they could be lackluster this season. marcia made edleman a star and hes 33yo. N'Keal was the 31st pick last year who may or may not show he was worth that high a pick. sanu is an effective journeyman but isnt going to take over any games. they do have 3rd yr rb sony michel, but he actually regressed behind that underwhelming oline. speaking of which, the dominating cheater oline is gone, replaced with mediocre veterans and one new pick from last year. both run and pass blocking was suspect all year so theres little reason to be optimistic they are suddenly going to turn into the monster line marcia enjoyed most of her career there

4. Linebackers are a mess. they lost three of them, two of them starters and the third playing 20% defensive snaps. their only replacement was a special teamer. they did take 3 lbs in the draft, including two in the first four rounds, but offenses will feast on multiple rookies in the middle of the field when they are out there

5. DT Danny Shelton left a gaping hold in the middle of the dline that will be tough to fill. they signed Beau Allen as an apparent replacement, but its a gamble that he will play to sheltons level and whether he will mesh with the guys left. even if they do, it cant cover all the holes in the seven guys behind them

6. No defensive coordinator. A HC should be a HC. theres enough responsibility there for two people, let alone one. his tutoring of his son to take over the job only takes away from what he has to do as HC and GM. the defense already has shown that they sputtered down the stretch last year. his son cant possibly be ready to be a consistently effective DC, so arrogant bill will probably once again make the mistake of spreading his peanut butter with an ultra-fine 3d printer nozzle

7. No money. 2 mil over the SC means they are handcuffed. sure, they could create room, but for what? they aint making the playoffs this year, why mortgage future years for a failed run. if they are dumb enough to do that then bill will just suck bob kraft dry and move to another team out of spite. they should just admit its rebuild time, take their 6-10 medicine, and build from the draft. too much ego floating around cheatertown for that to happen, so dont be surprised to see front office fireworks start to develop mid-season as the cheaters are exposed and the two fat guys that run the place point fingers at each other

its no secret im predicting crash and burn. for as long as they sustained success, the party has been raided and everybody is scurrying. they are trying desperately to maintain the image that The Patriot Way is alive and well, but it was a con all along. one pretty little princess in a pink dress and crystal slippers made that dynasty. now that shes gone (and old), let the crumbling begin!

Belichick.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

Only one? Cheating with a blind eye turned from Goodell.

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

32 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

Only one? Cheating with a blind eye turned from Goodell.

That Patriots cheated all the time, they got caught cheating and got minimal punishment.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

11 minutes ago, Victor7 said:

1. Belichik

2. Refs

3. Kraft remains Goodell's BFF

4. Cheating

Until we actually beat them, they are top dog. That's it. Nothing left to discuss. 

Jarrett Stidham is the projected starting QB of the Patriots. You have to score points to win. Stidham has never proven to be a good NFL QB and threw a pick 6 when he was subbed in for Brady in a blow out win against the Jets.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

4 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

Jarrett Stidham is the projected starting QB of the Patriots. You have to score points to win. Stidham has never proven to be a good NFL QB and threw a pick 6 when he was subbed in for Brady in a blow out win against the Jets.

Allen threw a pick six in week one last year, Brady's last pass as a Patriot was a pick six. It happens to the best and the worst of them. Why you keep bringing it up is beyond me. Specially in a post that has no mention of either Stidham or Allen. 

Cue the vintage jungle answer

Buffalo has the best roster in the division on paper. Do you think Stidham is the best QB in the AFCE ? Why do you hate Allen

No jungle I don't hate JA, I do not think Stidham is the top dog either. Yes we do have the best roster. So ?

Until they play the games and beat the living shit out of the Pats we have won nothing but the off season games and message board banter. Nothing in other words. 

• Thanks 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Just now, Victor7 said:

Allen threw a pick six in week one last year, Brady's last pass as a Patriot was a pick six. It happens to the best and the worst of them. Why you keep bringing it up is beyond me. Specially in a post that has no mention of either Stidham or Allen. 

Cue the vintage jungle answer

Buffalo has the best roster in the division on paper. Do you think Stidham is the best QB in the AFCE ? Why do you hate Allen

No jungle I don't hate JA, I do not think Stidham is the top dog either. Yes we do have the best roster. So ?

Until they play the games and beat the living shit out of the Pats we have won nothing but the off season games and message board banter. Nothing in other words. 

I find it hilarious that you are defending Stidham this much.

What has Jarrett Stidham done for you to assume he is a good NFL QB?

Has Belchick ever won a super bowl as a head coach with out Brady at QB?

Brady threw a pick 6 to end the Miami regular season game and a pick 6 to end the Titans playoff game last year. Stidham threw a pick 6 in the Jets game. So the Patriots QB threw for a combined 3 pick 6's last year, and you are scared to death of them.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

8 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

Brady threw a pick 6 to end the Miami regular season game and a pick 6 to end the Titans playoff game last year. Stidham threw a pick 6 in the Jets game. So the Patriots QB threw for a combined 3 pick 6's last year, and you are scared to death of them.

9 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

Oh man. He's seeing things again. Honestly dude. Reading and comprehension, its important. 

I didn't defend him. I just told you that throwing a pick six is an indication of absolutely nothing. 

Just now, Victor7 said:

No, who said he will ? I sure didn't. 

Just now, Victor7 said:

This makes even less sense that the other stuff since Brady is no longer on the team and I clearly let you know that pick sixes happen to all QB's. 

After 20 years and 9 super bowl appearances and an 11-5 season without Tom Brady under his belt, has Belichick not earned the benefit of the doubt that whoever he chooses to put under center week one could be pretty good?

Honestly, if he rolls Stidham out there, then I'm fucking terrified that Stidham will be very, very good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

Belichick.

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

51 minutes ago, Buffalo13 said:

After 20 years and 9 super bowl appearances and an 11-5 season without Tom Brady under his belt, has Belichick not earned the benefit of the doubt that whoever he chooses to put under center week one could be pretty good?

Honestly, if he rolls Stidham out there, then I'm fucking terrified that Stidham will be very, very good.

what you cant realize is that a great defensive coordinator got fired by the browns, was on the verge of being fired by the cheatriots, and magically had fall right into his lap the most accurate short to medium length passer in history. this new deadly passer owned the middle of the field. .he placed the ball into the receivers hands like it was 20-yd handoff. even though he didnt have a rocket arm, he made outside throws bc he was shredding up the inside so bad

it was close to magic. he was the magic goat. bill just grabbed the rope and let him out onto the field

bill helped by building strong defenses that gave the goat more room. but it was the goat providing the magic on a regular basis, not the lucky ass coach

then when it came time to really pay the goat full market, the goat took way less tin cans than he could have, giving bill more power to add weapons, protectors, and defenders

the patriot way: fall into a bucket of shit and come out smelling like Alesha Dixon's hair after she just washed it. mmmm thats one fine colored girl

bill aint got the magic. well, hes got the dc magic, and will have another pretty good unit im sure. but the offense is so far behind, they wont catch up this year unless a deal is made. if he tries to establish he can win with this years team and no other qb, then hes gonna lose. you guys will probably still keep thinking of him as a genius, though. it will take a few years of mediocrity and failure to show hes not a very good hc

hes still got one option that could make things work this year

who would win the battle of personalities: him or cam? i think they would probably both lose and part ways soon. but i wouldnt be surprised if they gave it a try. theyd have to mortgage some of the future but if cam is healthy he could produce enough to score more than the defense gives up most weeks. thats all you need so i remain nervous about that

its the most interest ive paid to the pats in a decade. so i hope it pays off and they dive down to .500 or lower like im predicting

3 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

That Patriots cheated all the time, they got caught cheating and got minimal punishment.

Those slaps on the wrists from Goodell were all for show and only the tip of an iceberg extending thousands of feet under water. It was as bad as prosecuting Al Capone on tax charges when we all know about the stuff he was REALLY guilty of.

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

i mean, they found them cheating, what, three times for sure?

you gotta figure they had at least three times that many ways of cheating. it could be closer to ten times three. so they have a bunch of these advantages of various significance provided by their network of cheating is my assumption

and why cheat? youre already the best team for a long time. why risk that legacy? and their legacy definitely is tainted to some degree. the filming of practices and walkthroughs and defensive signals, these would be massive advantages if processes properly. those years they were accused and punished for taping signals should really have asterisks on them. but for some reason they dont. nfl dont want no bad news i guess

i often think how frequently the cheaters seemed to know exactly where a critical play was going to go. are they just that good, or did they have some help from the confirmed taping of signals and having them in their possession for a long time? 

the conclusion makes itself. thats why the league destroyed everything and swept it under the rug

id respect their accomplishments a whole lot more if i didnt know about the cheating

6 hours ago, Victor7 said:

Oh man. He's seeing things again. Honestly dude. Reading and comprehension, its important. 

I didn't defend him. I just told you that throwing a pick six is an indication of absolutely nothing. 

Since you are obbsessed with your go to reading and comprehension diss when you can't handle valid criticism of a QB read the scouting reports on the great Stidham.

Accuracy - He can throw a pretty ball with a tight spiral when the conditions are perfect. Capable of dropping in touch throws or lacing the ball on the numbers underneath. Ball placement to horizontally moving targets can be inconsistent, and he consistently forces tough adjustments on vertical balls. Not his biggest weakness, but not a calling card strength either. Auburn’s simple offense with tons of screens padded his stats.

Decision-Making - He’s been described as safe because of his low interceptions numbers over the years, but I don’t think there is anything safe about a quarterback who takes bad sacks and benefited from a number of dropped picks this past season. Stidham isn’t erratic and wild, but he makes poor decisions with the ball under pressure and his mistakes spiral. He doesn’t bounce back after he starts struggling. Big concern.

Mental Processing - Capable of reading defenses and coverages, but not nuanced in the way he approaches it. Doesn’t move safeties or throw with anticipation. Still, won’t make negative decisions with the ball based on a failure to process very often. Can identify what a defense is showing him quickly, but often responds with panic rather than poise.

Velocity/Arm Strength - Does not always follow through with his trail foot and can lose velocity as a result. When he does step into it, can drive the ball to the far hash. I’ve seen enough flashes to know he can throw the deep ball for distance, but underthrew his receivers consistently in 2018, largely due to not stepping all the way into his throws, even in a clean pocket.

Pocket Presence - Movements are unpredictable and often his undoing. Will inexplicably bail out of the back of the pocket against edge pressure rather than step up or slide. When the pocket constricts, he will turtle up. Needs to do a better job of determining pressure pre-snap.

Mechanics - Mostly clean mechanics outside of the lack of follow-through which impacts velocity. When the pocket is clean, he’s usually fine. When he has to re-set his base or change the throwing angle, things get rough and the ball can come out a little more sidearm.

Improvisation - His low marks in this area tie into mental processing section as well - Stidham isn’t very good when he has to respond to new information post-snap. He can freeze up or retreat the pocket without a plan. At his best when everything is clean and on time, struggles to adapt when the environment breaks down.

Leadership/Work Ethic - Probably not the most reputable quarterback in this category, but certainly nothing to complain about that I’ve ever heard. Described by college coaches as having a great work ethic and being one of their best vocal leaders.

Poise - Melts down under pressure, late in games and when attempting to come from behind. Has failed over and over again to be the “the man” in clutch situations. Offense does him few favors in these situations, but there have been opportunities to make plays that Stidham has left on the table with his own poor play.

Athleticism/Size - Adequate across the board. Average size and athleticism for the position. Tools are fine but not good enough to suggest a crazy high ceiling.

BEST TRAIT – Clean Pocket Accuracy

WORST TRAIT – Poise

RED FLAGS – None

Stidham has adequate tools, good intangibles and a solid arm, I just can’t draft a quarterback high who doesn’t play the position well in the biggest moments. Stidham was consistently poor when asked to carry the load for Auburn, turning the ball over, making poor decisions or taking sacks he just could not take. On top of that, his mistakes always spiral over the course of a game, and he was never able to be a player that elevated the cast around him. Quality coaching can make him a serviceable NFL backup, but I don’t see much in store for Stidham beyond that.

Round Grade: 5th

Accuracy - Generally puts the ball where he wants, even down the field. Will lead targets into space and give them chances to create post-catch. Does well to give his targets a chance against man coverage and will test it. Plenty of pretty throws to all levels of the field when things are on schedule in terms of routes and protection.

Arm Strength - Has a fastball when necessary but it's far from being called a cannon. Ball velocity noticeably dips when working the football outside the numbers. Can push the football to the deeper portions of the field. Mostly does well to hit throws with touch.

Decision Making - Generally sound but he has crumbled in big situations when he's asked to lead a drive late in games. Willing to test man coverage and thread zones but he's not immune to a careless decisions. Panics under pressure. Feasted on schemed, one-read throws.

Anticipation - Recognizes space between zones and will throw receivers into it. Does well to sense where receivers will have leverage against man coverage and challenge it. Capable of working the ball over top of the linebackers and before the safeties with good touch.

Pocket Skills - Gets panicky under duress and will make careless decisions. Generally aware of pressure but he struggles to speed up his process when needed. A bit of a pocket drifter but is capable of navigating and moving within the pocket. Does not always keep his eye level up.

Throwing Mechanics - Arm motion is quick and efficient. Generally throws from a balanced platform with good weight transfer but his trail fit can lag a bit. Can stand to be more deliberate when executing quick passes that are often made completely with his arm.

Feet - Fairly rhythmic with his drops and throws from a balanced base. Things fall off the rails when he is forced to speed up his process under pressure and his feet get antsy. More than capable of sliding, climbing and moving within the pocket.

Progressions - Likes and has most of his success when things are on schedule. Wants that first read to be open and often hangs on it for too long. Does very little to manipulate coverage with his eyes or pump fakes. Auburn's scheme feature a high percentage of schemed, one-read throws.

Run - Not a candidate for designed runs but can move the sticks on occasion by scrambling. Showcases good spatial awareness and avoids big hits. Sound thrower on the move.

BEST TRAIT - Accuracy

WORST TRAIT - Handling Pressure

RED FLAGS - Underachiever

Stidham has good touch and the ability to find throwing windows at all levels of the field. He throws with anticipation and gives his targets a chance to pick up yards after the catch. With that said, Stidham has regularly crumbled in big moments and his results under pressure are poor. His struggles when forced to speed up his process are concerning. Stidham's best chance for success comes in a timing-based offense that keeps him in rhythm. Stidham profiles as quality backup quarterback but his ceiling as a starter is low.

Round Grade: Mid Day 3

Arm Accuracy –Has really nice touch accuracy when pushing the ball to the sideline, but really only on loft throws. He loses pinpoint accuracy when he's looking to drive the ball with any notable force. Nice bucket throws vertically. Has some inexcusable lapses due to arm slot or pressure.

Decision Making –Will make poor decisions when his process is rushed and he's looking to defeat pressure. Less secure with the football than his numbers would suggest. He does well against straight man coverage to find open crossers and come back patterns.

Progressions –Can be late to work off of an initial target, although he has shown that he can use the full field of play. When he's setting up in deep drops, he seems to have the most comfort knowing he has space to operate and can work eyes as needed.

Anticipation –Willing to throw into holes vs. zone coverage and has some flashes of leading shallow crossing routes but the further into the boundary the throws get the more he seems to leave the ball behind the receiver. Needs to become better IDing/anticipating pressure reps pre-snap.

Poise –He's going to be super dependent on his offensive line. He makes some baffling decisions, whether it's throwing up a prayer that hangs in the air, bailing and losing ground to the LOS or rolling with a loose football and getting stripped.

Arm Strength –Has some ability to drive into tight windows but often fails to get on top of the ball and will see it float more than needed. Has plenty of juice in his vertical shots to queue up a deep ball and can drive deep posts or nines.

Pocket Awareness –Ability to pick up or process stunts is almost non-existent. Has modest mobility to begin with but is often taken by surprise by an uncovered pass rusher and will promptly panic, breaking down his feet and losing all ability to throw under pressure.

Mechanics –Will not be a successful passer off of untraditional throwing platforms or arm slots. Struggles with accuracy and pushes throws wide when he's forced to drop the arm to throw around a defender. His cadence on drop/hitch/release is when he's at his peak.

Footwork –I like how he gets back out of the snap and sets himself up on his platform. Will get happy feet and/or break down his platform at first sign of duress and doesn't do well to reset, which amplifies his accuracy issues.

Mobility –Has just enough to beat a free rusher and bail out the offense, but he needs to get better at returning to a thrower's position once he's forced off his spot. Not one to be handed any rushing concepts to aid the ground game.

BEST TRAIT – Intermediate Touch

WORST TRAIT – Poise

BEST FILM – Texas A&M (2018)

WORST FILM – Tennessee (2018)

RED FLAGS – None

Jarrett Stidham is a prospect who hasn't taken the necessary steps forward as a player to warrant consideration as a potential starter early in his career. Stidham throws a pretty, easy to catch football when the infrastructure around him is right. But when he's forced to create and dictate the action, Stidham struggles greatly, which makes him more of a back-up quarterback prospect and a low ceiling starter.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jarrett-stidham

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 4
NFL Comparison
AJ McCarron
Overview
The 2017 Alabama win showed a mobile quarterback with good mechanics and intelligence who played with confidence and was able to convert in key situations. The 2018 tape shows a player who lost both his confidence and poise and began to play a rushed brand of football that seeped into his pre-snap planning and his post-snap accuracy. Stidham went from ascending prospect to developmental quarterback and he needs to find the right set of coaches and system to help rehab his confidence and timing.
Strengths
  • Intelligent with ability to decipher defenses
  • Adequate size and arm strength
  • Makes good decisions from RPO looks
  • Comfortable throwing from true play-action and rollouts
  • Above-average move accuracy
  • Good recognition to wait for throwing lanes to clear
  • Sound footwork and mechanics from the pocket
  • Classic over-the-top release
  • Ball comes out of his hands with clean, tight spiral
  • Above-average touch throwing to all three levels
  • Good back shoulder passer
  • Competitive open-field runner as scrambler
  • Willing to put his head down and find tough yards to secure first downs.
Weaknesses
  • Failed to build on 2017 campaign
  • Became antsy and unsure due to excessive pressure
  • Inconsistent pre-snap blitz recognition
  • Drops eyes and loses some poise when pressure mounts
  • Will void and run rather than sliding and scanning from pocket
  • Became indecisive and struggled to get throws out on time
  • Needs to throw with better anticipation
  • Average operation time to throw
  • Unlikely to beat defenses with arm talent alone
  • Needs to step and drive his throws
  • Ball placement and accuracy fell off in 2018
  • Below-average deep ball accuracy
Sources Tell Us

"That was a really dysfunctional offense this year. The offensive line was bad, the receivers couldn't get open and the coaching was a big problem, I thought. He didn't play well, but he didn't get much help either." -- National scout for NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jarrett-stidham?id=32195354-4912-9837-7193-9c8d8376b821

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Jarrett Stidham NFL Draft 2019: Scouting Report for New England Patriots' Pick

MATT MILLERAPRIL 27, 2019

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham (8) drops back to pass against Texas A&M during the first half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)
Todd Kirkland/Associated Press

STRENGTHS

—Beautiful touch on the deep ball with ideal loft and the velocity to drop passes in a bucket.

—Mobile in and out of the pocket. Can make throws rolling to both his left and right with good accuracy.

—Releases the ball quickly with a high release point to limit swats.

—Has shown the ability to take over games and lead his team to victory, like he did against Alabama in 2017.

—Adequate but not amazing arm strength; can make field-side throws with anticipation.

—Well-built, compact player with enough agility and athleticism to get outside the pocket and make throws.

—Tough, no-bull quarterback who battled behind one of the nation's worst offensive lines in 2018.

WEAKNESSES

—2017 and 2018 tape looked like two different quarterbacks; didn't take the next step in his development as expected.

—Did not trust his linemen to pick up blitzes, which led to sacks, poor pre-snap reads and taking his eyes off his receivers.

—Puts himself in harm's way when scrambling and often tries to play the hero. Are his 2018 issues correctable or will this be a David Carr-type problem going forward?

—Hesitates to unleash the ball, looked afraid to disappoint or fail as Auburn's season fell apart.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823983-jarrett-stidham-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-new-england-patriots-pick

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg