Sign in to follow this  
Nuke

Pro bowl OG Larry Warford released

54 minutes ago, Nuke said:

I still think OL will be the downfall of this team. He’s 29. Worth a look. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29151914/saints-cut-guard-larry-warford-3-pro-bowl-seasons

A team has an OG coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, and then spends a 1st round draft pick to replace him?  To quote @seandelevan, "Must be nice".

I'm with you on OL being the possible Achilles' heel, if RCB isn't.  This team has more of a history of getting rid of an OG coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons than it has of picking them up.

This is where some of the overspending on utter mediocrity makes this require more thought than it otherwise might.  Hopefully there is some serious consideration going on in Brandon Beane's beloved basement bunker.  

I'll post the article Ryan Talbot wrote on him, in which he makes a good case(though I'm guessing some folks will argue that re-signing folks is more of a priority, partly because most of them got their favored positions in the draft).

• Thanks 1

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

For what it's worth, PFF had him ranked 11th out of 64 starting guards last year.  I highlighted the first sentence in reason #5, which some on here might take issue with.  :)  Ryan Talbot seems to make up with it later in reason #5, when he mentions Beane actually being able to get picks in exchange for Wyatt Teller and Russel Bodine(it amuses me just typing that....it reminds me of Tom Sawyer tricking the neighborhood boys into doing his chore of painting the fence for him!!) :beer:

5 reasons Buffalo Bills should sign RG Larry Warford

Updated May 08, 2020; Posted May 08, 2020

Larry Warford’s release from the New Orleans Saints wasn’t a complete surprise.

The team needed to free up cap space after signing Jameis Winston and giving Taysom Hill a new deal and Warford was expendable. New Orleans drafted Cesar Ruiz in the first round of the 2020 draft. Ruiz or second-year lineman Erik McCoy will replace Warford at guard while the other starts at center.

New Orleans’ loss, however, is going to be someone’s gain. Why not the Buffalo Bills?

Here are five reasons why the Bills should make a run at Larry Warford

1. Pro Bowl guards generally don’t become available in May

Every now and then a talented player becomes available following the 2020 NFL Draft. Those players aren’t generally coming off of three-straight Pro Bowl appearances, however.

The Pro Bowl is not the be-all, end-all when it comes to measuring talent, but Warford is a very good offensive lineman. In terms of analytics, Warford fell just outside of the top-10 guards in the NFL last season.

Larry Warford's Overall Grade = 73.1

He ranked 11th among all Guards in 2019 pic.twitter.com/k4Q1J0Cwaq

— PFF (@PFF) May 8, 2020

2. Bills have the cap space

Following the draft, Albert Breer had the Bills with a little over $20 million in cap space. Spotrac has Buffalo with over $19 million in space and Over the Cap has the Bills at $20.4 million. Regardless of what the actual total is, Buffalo has the cap space to sign the 28-year-old guard if they feel he would be an upgrade to the unit.

3. Ties to Bobby Johnson

The Bills signed a lot of free agents with ties to coaches and other members of the team.

Mario Addison, Vernon Butler and Bryan Cox both played under Bills DL coach Eric Washington. Addison and Butler also played for Sean McDermott. Josh Norman, E.J. Gaines, A.J. Klein and Taiwan Jones are others who have played under Buffalo’s head coach in Carolina or previously with Buffalo. Daryl Williams may have played on the other side of the ball, but he too was familiar with McDermott.

Quinton Jefferson had ties to Dan Morgan and Buffalo had intel on Stefon Diggs thanks to director of college scouting Terrance Gray.

The same can be said for some of the Bills’ OL additions. Bobby Johnson was familiar with Evan Boehm from their days at Indianapolis and Garrett McGhin from Buffalo. Johnson also has ties to Larry Warford. During Warford’s first two seasons in the league with the Detroit Lions, Johnson served as his assistant offensive line coach.

4. Bills tried to trade up for OL in draft

Brandon Beane admitted that the Bills attempted to trade up for an offensive lineman in the draft. If the Bills were doing their due diligence on prospects in the draft, they may still be looking to fill one of their remaining roster spots with another lineman. A three-time Pro Bowler would be a nice consolation prize after missing out on a lineman in the draft.

5. More assets for Brandon Beane to trade

Brandon Beane knows the importance of OL play. He wants the best five players starting come September and it is very possible that Warford would win a starting job on Buffalo’s offensive line.

Warford’s addition would mean another talented offensive lineman or two could become available for Beane to trade this offseason. The Bills GM was able to get picks for Wyatt Teller and Russell Bodine last year and would likely be able to get future picks for some of the odd men out on this year’s roster.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/05/5-reasons-buffalo-bills-should-sign-rg-larry-warford.html

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

Wow, we should get him in here on a cap friendly deal if he'll sign in Buffalo. Would be a great addition to the line even for depth if he doesn't work out as a full time starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.” ~ Dresden James

Parler @NYexile

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

I still think OL will be the downfall of this team. He’s 29. Worth a look. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29151914/saints-cut-guard-larry-warford-3-pro-bowl-seasons

I like what Jon Feliciano has done at RG and C when Morse was injuried, but Larry Warford would be an upgrade at RG.

I would have no issues with bringing in Warford.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

7 hours ago, StraightJ said:

A team has an OG coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, and then spends a 1st round draft pick to replace him?  To quote @seandelevan, "Must be nice".

I'm with you on OL being the possible Achilles' heel, if RCB isn't.  This team has more of a history of getting rid of an OG coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons than it has of picking them up.

This is where some of the overspending on utter mediocrity makes this require more thought than it otherwise might.  Hopefully there is some serious consideration going on in Brandon Beane's beloved basement bunker.  

I'll post the article Ryan Talbot wrote on him, in which he makes a good case(though I'm guessing some folks will argue that re-signing folks is more of a priority, partly because most of them got their favored positions in the draft).

The Saints cut Warford to free up money. 

The New Orleans Saints freed up $7.75 million in spending-room beneath the 2020 salary cap, but what do they plan to do with it? And how much cap space will they have to work with once they’re finished signing undrafted rookies and their four draft picks?

Thankfully, the analysts at Over The Cap have answers. While the details on slot receiver Austin Carr’s new one-year contract with the Saints have yet to be reported, the OTC team estimates the Saints to have about $9.37 million in salary cap space. But it’s a little more complicated than that.

While no one in this year’s college free agent class figures to qualify for the top-51 contract rule, three of the four rookie draft picks will. Those deals haven’t been signed yet, but the cap values are already determined based off draft slots. Cesar Ruiz ($2,305,310), Zack Baun ($874,672), and Adam Trautman ($818,073) will each push less-valuable contracts off the books, leaving us with a projected cap space figure just north of $8.62 million. Let’s be clear: the Saints did not cut Warford because they couldn’t afford to sign their rookies. The money was already there.

That number will decrease slightly once Carr’s contract terms are reported, but not by much. He may qualify for the veteran minimum benefit and count just $887,500 against the salary cap, much like Michael Burton, Johnson Bademosi, Dwayne Washington, and Margus Hunt. But stay tuned for confirmation.

But let’s circle back to the original question: what are the Saints going to do with these new resources? Last year, New Orleans took the initiative in extending their contracts with team leaders like Cameron Jordan and Michael Thomas. They could take a similar approach with Demario Davis or Alvin Kamara later this summer.

It’s fun to think of the Saints going for broke in pursuit of a difference-maker on defense like Everson Griffen or Logan Ryan, but their past investments up front (in David Onyemata and Malcom Brown) and on the back end (to Malcolm Jenkins and Janoris Jenkins) might shift their focus elsewhere. Whichever direction the Saints go next, they’ll have plenty of options.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/09/updated-saints-salary-cap-space-larry-warford-contract/

The article mentions that New Orleans might be freeing up money to go after veteran free agent CB Logan Ryan.

So should Beane signr CB Logan Ryan or RG Larry Warford? Or should Beane sign both Ryan and Warford? If Beane trades or cuts Trent Murphy it free's up $8,025,00 in salary cap space with no dead cap space, and cutting Josh Norman before June 1st saves $4,312,500 with $1,500,000 in dead cap space.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I have no problem with signing him, but I feel the biggest weakness is really at RT not RG. I'd feel pretty good rolling with Feliciano or Ford or Williams for that matter G, but Rt is a little sketchy still.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, SackMan518 said:

Wow, we should get him in here on a cap friendly deal if he'll sign in Buffalo. Would be a great addition to the line even for depth if he doesn't work out as a full time starter.

The 6-foot-3, 317-pound Warford began his career as a third-round pick with the Lions out of Kentucky in 2013 and became an immediate starter. He has started 101 regular-season games, including 44 over the past three years in New Orleans. He also started five playoff games with the Saints.

If he is willing to sign with the Bills, and it isn't crazy money, do it.

The Best Five start.   Beane can sort out who is excess when we get to the end of August.     

Maybe Feliciano could beat out Spain for LG and Warford could play RG.
Then Beane can decide to keep Spain or Spencer Long for depth.....or trade one of them.

I still think Right Tackle needs some TLC, but let's improve every position, if possible.  

• Like 2

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

The 6-foot-3, 317-pound Warford began his career as a third-round pick with the Lions out of Kentucky in 2013 and became an immediate starter. He has started 101 regular-season games, including 44 over the past three years in New Orleans. He also started five playoff games with the Saints.

If he is willing to sign with the Bills, and it isn't crazy money, do it.

The Best Five start.   Beane can sort out who is excess when we get to the end of August.     

Maybe Feliciano could beat out Spain for LG and Warford could play RG.
Then Beane can decide to keep Spain or Spencer Long for depth.....or trade one of them.

I still think Right Tackle needs some TLC, but let's improve every position, if possible.  

I think Beane is ok with Ford at RT for this year and if he doesn't work out he will move him to LG or RG and use Ty Nsekhe or Daryl Williams at RT.

If Ford doesn't work out at RT, than a RT can be traded for or picked up in the 2021 draft.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Other teams will go hard after him and offer him big money.

He might be out of the Bills price range.

They seem to like Spain and Feliciano............. if Williams returns to his form at RT (assuming he can outperform Ford), there will be a glut at G if Ford has to move there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LIBills said:

Other teams will go hard after him and offer him big money.

He might be out of the Bills price range.

They seem to like Spain and Feliciano............. if Williams returns to his form at RT (assuming he can outperform Ford), there will be a glut at G if Ford has to move there.

True.   The key to the whole puzzle is Cody Ford.   He did not perform that well at RT his rookie year, Including the month of December.

I would love to believe Cody Ford will be a lot better at RT this  year....but without OTAs and shortened training camp, I am skeptical.   I hope I am wrong and that the lightbulb goes on for him.  

If not, I hope Daryl Williams plays really well at RT.   We could use it.

• Like 1

While I'm still a bit jealous of San Francisco's masterful working to get a potential HOF LT, I am all for relentless improvement where it can be found, if each deal made is done responsibly.  The article below shows how finding the right trading partner can be very helpful(it doesn't mention how SF leveraged the price by keeping their cards close to their chest and not announcing the retirement of their current LT until afterward.

As others have noted, Warford seemingly has a prety high basement, and his ceiling would be a noticeable improvement at G.  This could help both the ground game and Josh Allen to have better seasons.  As Jungle brings up, the potential desire to have more surety at RCB could factor into this, even if Beane feels set with the direction of not giving up on Cody Ford at RT after one season.  I was a bit less than pleased with the large number of signings that Lit seems to suggest are a sea of mediocrity, but the Ryan Talbot article helped remind me that if we do take a chance on this potential upgrade, Beane has demonstrated the ability to gain draft capital when he collected picks in trades of the likes of Wyatt Teller and Russel Bodine.  Any such trades would additionally free up some cap room, though not as much as the options Beane has with the examples Jungle pointed out.  Beane does this for a living, so at times he will see things before we do, so I am keeping my hopes up that the line will be improved, even if we don't end up scooping up Larry Waterford.  

While some have noted that guard isn't seen as our greatest need on the OL at the moment, others in the past have noted that the level of play of players next to a position on the line has the potential to effect adjacent players.  Regardless of with whom or how it gets done, I'm really hoping Beane manages to get it done.  Folks have mentioned competition driving up the price, but I'd imagine that the 49ers whi are mentioned in the article below weren't the only team looking to upgrade at LT..  No matter what happens, the mention of Bruce Allen below makes me even more grateful for Beane's performance so far, and makes me wish Bruce was in the AFC.

Originally posted on Sportsnaut  |  By Jesse Reed  |  Last updated 4/30/20

The Washington Redskins had been trying to trade Trent Williams for months before finally getting a deal done during the draft. The disgruntled star left tackle ended up going to the San Francisco 49ers for a deal that was well below market value for a player of his caliber.

Now comes a quote from Ron Rivera that shows just how awful the situation was handled before he arrived on the scene.

The Redskins turned down a first-round pick for Trent Williams

This week, Rivera divulged information that is truly shocking.

“There was an opportunity, from what I was told, that last year just before the trade deadline he was worth a first-round pick. But, for whatever reason, the deal was never done,” Rivera said Wednesday on "The Kevin Sheehan Show."

In the end, Washington settled for two mid-round draft picks — a third-rounder(2021) and a fifth-rounder — in exchange for the seven-time Pro Bowler.

Bruce Allen is to blame

This truly reflects the dysfunction that defined this franchise during the Bruce Allen era. The former team president was jettisoned when Rivera came on board, but not before even more damage could be done.

It had been reported last season that Washington had some nice offers for Williams, but there was a sense that Allen wanted to spite the star left tackle more than he wanted to get proper compensation in a trade.

That seems to have been the case. That turned out to be great news for the 49ers, who landed one of the game’s best left tackles on the cheap. But it certainly hurt Washington’s chances at adding another impact rookie during this year’s draft.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ron_riveras_stunning_quote_shows_how_badly_redskins_bungled_the_trent_williams_situation/s1_12680_31892855

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StraightJ said:

While I'm still a bit jealous of San Francisco's masterful working to get a potential HOF LT, I am all for relentless improvement where it can be found, if each deal made is done responsibly.  The article below shows how finding the right trading partner can be very helpful(it doesn't mention how SF leveraged the price by keeping their cards close to their chest and not announcing the retirement of their current LT until afterward.

As others have noted, Warford seemingly has a prety high basement, and his ceiling would be a noticeable improvement at G.  This could help both the ground game and Josh Allen to have better seasons.  As Jungle brings up, the potential desire to have more surety at RCB could factor into this, even if Beane feels set with the direction of not giving up on Cody Ford at RT after one season.  I was a bit less than pleased with the large number of signings that Lit seems to suggest are a sea of mediocrity, but the Ryan Talbot article helped remind me that if we do take a chance on this potential upgrade, Beane has demonstrated the ability to gain draft capital when he collected picks in trades of the likes of Wyatt Teller and Russel Bodine.  Any such trades would additionally free up some cap room, though not as much as the options Beane has with the examples Jungle pointed out.  Beane does this for a living, so at times he will see things before we do, so I am keeping my hopes up that the line will be improved, even if we don't end up scooping up Larry Waterford.  

While some have noted that guard isn't seen as our greatest need on the OL at the moment, others in the past have noted that the level of play of players next to a position on the line has the potential to effect adjacent players.  Regardless of with whom or how it gets done, I'm really hoping Beane manages to get it done.  Folks have mentioned competition driving up the price, but I'd imagine that the 49ers whi are mentioned in the article below weren't the only team looking to upgrade at LT..  No matter what happens, the mention of Bruce Allen below makes me even more grateful for Beane's performance so far, and makes me wish Bruce was in the AFC.

I would love to see the Dolphins hire Bruce Allen...but honestly I don't think anyone will hire him.  He was terrible.

It is nice to the 2020 Bills.  We have a solid Oline, but are still looking to possibly improve.

And, yes, an upgrade at RG would help whomever is playing RT.

Go Bills.

• Thanks 1