Sign in to follow this  
SackMan518

Where does McDermott rank amongst coaches and Mel Kiper's Bills take

Rotoworld lists best NFL HCs. Where does Buffalo Bills’ Sean McDermott rank?

Here is what Patrick Daugherty said about the Bills head coach.

11. Sean McDermott

Career Record: 25-23 (.521)

With The Bills Since: 2017

Last Year’s Ranking: 16

The Bills have two playoff appearances this century. They have come under Sean McDermott over the past three seasons. Although McDermott is still working on the franchise’s first postseason victory since Bill Clinton was president, he has confirmed himself as one of the top coaching hires of the past half decade. Already one of the league’s best defensive game-planners, McDermott has coordinated top-three units by yards allowed each of the past two years. The Bills’ 259 points against last season were the second fewest in the NFL. McDermott knows defense, period. He’s still working on the rest. A brash front office presence alongside his handpicked GM Brandon Beane, McDermott’s executive aggressiveness has handicapped his offense, where the project is now tied to Josh Allen. Allen’s concerns coming out of the Mountain West were accuracy and decision-making. They had the looks of fatal flaws in 2019, never more so than in the Wild Card Round, where Allen’s stupefying choices down the stretch helped snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. McDermott is the coach of the future in Buffalo. He’s probably still a quarterback away from translating that into annual winning campaigns and playoff appearances. (Sack Note: Dafuq? That was backhanded.)

As for the rest of the head coaches in the AFC East, Bill Belichick finished No. 1 on the list, Brian Flores came in at No. 20 and Adam Gase finished at No. 25.

Mel Kiper: Buffalo Bills look like 12-win team to me

One person who believes the Bills are ready to take over the AFC East is ESPN’s NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. Kiper joined One Bills Live on Tuesday to talk about Buffalo’s draft class. After discussing the team’s picks, Kiper went on record to say that the current roster looks like a 12-win team on paper.

“Love that pick," Kiper said in regards to the team adding Zack Moss in Round 3. “I think you get a productive guy that has some versatility. Obviously, played a lot of football. You want guys that come in that can handle blitz pickup and handle all the things you need. I think in the third round at the 86th pick, a guy that most people in the league that I spoke to before the draft thought he would be a mid-to-late second round pick. To get him where they did?”

The combination of Moss and Devin Singletary in the backfield, as well as the rest of the draft class and the acquisition of Stefon Diggs, has Kiper believing Buffalo will be a tough team to handle.

"Devin (Singletary) had a great year. Gave them a real spark. Was a key element for that playoff run that the Bills had. So yeah, I think getting the two receivers with size will help Josh. That receiving core now with John Brown, (Stefon) Diggs and (Cole) Beasley … Then you add in Isaiah McKenzie makes plays. As all these different guys and the two young kids. Then you get help even in the secondary in Dane Jackson, who I thought had a pretty good year overall at Pitt. And then Epenesa as you can kick inside. He has got that ability to play over the center/guard. He can be outside/inside threat with that defensive front the way it is right now after getting Oliver last year. So, I thought they did fine. Factor Stefon Diggs into this whole thing because you have to put him in as part of this draft and all of a sudden this is a pretty good roster. I look at this roster and I love Josh. I’m talking about Josh Allen. I gotta believe this is going to be a tough team to handle. This Bills team on paper looks like a 12-win team to me.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

If Adam Gase is 25th, so who the heck is 26 to 32?

• Haha 2

Proud adopter of #16 Robert Foster and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Eightyfive percents

Lol ... read the article now ... they ranked only 27 coaches and one of the coaches lower than Gase is Marrone ... ok, I guess third to last is probably  right for Gase 

• Thanks 1

Proud adopter of #16 Robert Foster and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Eightyfive percents

McDermott is a good head coach who has brought stability and helped changed the losing culture in Buffalo. He is not perfect and will make bad decisions at times with challenging plays and at times has bad time management skills, but he is not the worst in the NFL in these area's. All coaches in the NFL make mistakes and you could go through any HC's game and dissect it to find mistakes they made. With that being said McDermott won more games than he should of with the 2018 team that was gutted of talent to get rid of the dead cap space in 1 season, getting 6 wins out of that team shows how good of a HC McDermott is.

The fact you have to go 20 years back in time for the last HC in Buffalo that was this good shows how good of a coach McDermott is. McDermott's teams are tough, physical, smart and he has a great coaching staff that develops the talent they draft. This will be a big year for Buffalo.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

-McDermott’s executive aggressiveness has handicapped his offense, where the project is now tied to Josh Allen.-

Ding ding ding....correct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

miserable that 70s show GIF

4 minutes ago, seandelevan said:

-McDermott’s executive aggressiveness has handicapped his offense, where the project is now tied to Josh Allen.-

Ding ding ding....correct

So we don't want Allen to improve? You don't thank Allen can improve in 2020, even though he improved last year?

Would DeShawn Watson have been as good as he has without DeAndre Hopkins to throw to?

Would Patrick Mahomes have been as good as he has without Tyreek Hill to throw to?

What is the argument against giving Allen a #1 WR in Diggs to help in his devleopment?

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

6 hours ago, Topas said:

Lol ... read the article now ... they ranked only 27 coaches and one of the coaches lower than Gase is Marrone ... ok, I guess third to last is probably  right for Gase 

haha. nice to see a hubris infested dick fail so convincingly

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

McDermott is great! It's that OL and offensive coaching that I'm not Keane on. They could of coached Josh better late last yr. I wouldn't be surprised to see a better coached Pat's offense do better than us with that qb.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nealpellecchia@yahoo said:

McDermott is great! It's that OL and offensive coaching that I'm not Keane on. They could of coached Josh better late last yr. I wouldn't be surprised to see a better coached Pat's offense do better than us with that qb.

The Patriots don't have WR's that can separate from coverage other than Edelman.

Why do you think the 1st round pick  N'Karry Neal didn't play?

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

He's a great coach no doubt. Great leader and motivator. My one pet peeve is his now world famous propensity to get conservative/pussy/timid when we take early leads. It happened on many occasions and none worse than the playoff game. That shit needs to end. He needs to find that killer mentality to put teams away. 

• Like 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

On 5/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, LiterateStylish said:

12 wins.

thats bold

hope the team isn’t reading this stuff

Yeah, I cant' see that with this schedule.  It's all about winning the division.  All four of us have to play the 9ers and Seahawks and Chiefs so it will come down to winning division games.  If we get swept by the Patriots like we always do, we could easily miss the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo13 said:

Yeah, I cant' see that with this schedule.  It's all about winning the division.  All four of us have to play the 9ers and Seahawks and Chiefs so it will come down to winning division games.  If we get swept by the Patriots like we always do, we could easily miss the playoffs.

Do you really think the Patriots with Jarrett Stidham at QB and no good WR's other than Julian Edelman and Mo Sanu are going to sweep the Bills?

Belichick spent a 1st round pick on N'Karry Neal and he did nothing last year.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

3 hours ago, Victor7 said:

He's a great coach no doubt. Great leader and motivator. My one pet peeve is his now world famous propensity to get conservative/pussy/timid when we take early leads. It happened on many occasions and none worse than the playoff game. That shit needs to end. He needs to find that killer mentality to put teams away. 

I agree that at time McDermott can be conservative at times, but there were a couple of occasions where McDermott went on it on 4th and short when the offense was in FG range and going for it on 4th down in the redzone. The unreliability of Hauschka on long distance FG's played a factor, but you have to like that fact he has the ability realize that and not go for the low probability of success play of trying a long FG with Hauschka

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

6 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

Do you really think the Patriots with Jarrett Stidham at QB and no good WR's other than Julian Edelman and Mo Sanu are going to sweep the Bills?

Please tell me why you assume that Stidham will not be good.  Do you think Belichick, after watching him in practice for an entire year, is set to put a shitty QB under center.  Wouldn't it be logical to assume that what they've seen from Stidham had at least something to do with not begging Brady to stay AND not drafting a QB AND not running to get Dalton or Newton?

Stidham could suck and I hope he does...but assuming that he will be is just ignorant.    

6 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

Jees,  they swept them last year.

We probably should be taking into account that this will be only his 4th year as a head coach. I would imagine, much like a college player having to adjust to the NFL game, 1st time head coaches too could have a learning curve. Hopefully McDermott can grow on the job just like we hope our players do.

• Thanks 1

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets............

4 hours ago, nealpellecchia@yahoo said:

Jees,  they swept them last year.

You know that Brady is no longer the Patriots QB now, right?

Is Stidham the best QB in the AFC East? 

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg