Kevin French

Brandon Beane and Bills Missing the Mark this off-season

Statistics can be misleading.

I am not saying our OL is among the best in the league, but I would guess that part of the reason for that stat is because Allen and the offense could not handle the Zero Blitz all year.  The Ravens must have done it to him 20 times.  So when the other team brings the house, of course the QB must throw under pressure.

The OL needs to improve, but this stat isn't entirely on them.  Allen needs to show (like most young QBs) that he can beat the blitz and then teams will back off. Here's an article from December that says Allen is the 3rd most blitzed QB in the league...that's going to account for a lot of pressures that aren't the fault of the OL.  RBs need to pick up blitzes and so to TEs.  And sometimes, Allen himself needs to be responsible for the extra man and not hold the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001084261/mind-boggling-stats-for-2019-week-14

• Thanks 1

There were 4 new starters on the OL in 2019.

You expect them to be the 1992 Cowboys overnight?

If Cody Ford becomes the player that McBeane thinks he will become, the OL will be fine.

33 minutes ago, Kevin French said:

The Bills have serious questions on the O-line that aren’t being answered. They didn’t do anything to address it in the draft. One single UDFA shouldn’t really be the only reinforcements for the problem. Josh Allen was pressured on 33% of his dropbacks, how can that not be a major concern for the Bills FO? He’s headed towards a David Carr career 

4203B83A-23FC-4E43-ABC5-D946C03F727B.jpeg

Welcome to The Range!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

OL play can improve the more time the unit has together blocking so they can build chemistry and anticipate the other teammates actions to blitzes and stunts. OL can also improve with OL coaching.

Buffalo had 4 new starters on the OL in 2019, only Dawkins was the returning OL from 2018. Dawkins bounced back in 2019 after having a bad year in 2018 because he played beside a better LG in Spain than the previous years LG Ducasse. Dawkins and the rest of the OL also benefited from a better OL coach in Bobby Johnson than the previous years OL coach Juan Castillo.

Beane re-signed free agent Spain to bring back all of the starting OL from 2019. Beane also added RG/RT Daryl Williams in free agency and signed undrafted free agent OT Trey Adams who was once considered a 2nd round talent but fell in the draft because of injury concerns. Buffalo also has OT Ty Nsekhe, OG/OT Ryan Bates, G/C Spencer Long coming off the bench.

Not every OL in the NFL has 1st round draft picks invested at every position. Buffalo's current starting OL is made up of 2nd round pick Dawkins, undrafted free agent Spain, 2nd round draft pick Morse, 4th round pick Feliciano and 2nd round pick RT. Beane is betting on the OL play improving from the entire OL returning and playing together in 2020 and getting anther year of Bobby Johnson's coaching. Buffalo has good talent and depth on the OL, but I know Beane will not hesitate to sign a veteran OL if he is released due to salary cap reason or trade for a veteran OL if he becomes available and represents good value. Both Spain and Feliciano were good value signings and have out performed my exceptions of their play as starters. Beane is great at placing values on draft prospects and free agents. I like that Beane didn't force picks to the OL in the drafting for need and taking 4th or 5th round OG in the 2nd round or taking 5th or 6th round OT in the 3rd round. I like that he didn't over pay for OL in free agency.

I just want to point out that the 2019 OL was better than the 2018 OL even with 4 new starters. Imagine how good the 2020 OL will be with all 5 starters returning and having a year of experience playing together. 

• Thanks 2

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

10 hours ago, Kevin French said:

The Bills have serious questions on the O-line that aren’t being answered. They didn’t do anything to address it in the draft. One single UDFA shouldn’t really be the only reinforcements for the problem. Josh Allen was pressured on 33% of his dropbacks, how can that not be a major concern for the Bills FO? He’s headed towards a David Carr career 

4203B83A-23FC-4E43-ABC5-D946C03F727B.jpeg

Start integrating more short passes to the running backs out of the backfield, and surprise, the entire offensive scheme from the running game to passes downfield will become more successful. If they still want to pressure Allen, then I say let them.

If McBeane felt it was a major concern, they would have addressed it. And still may in the coming days

The o-line isn't dominant but if Ford can step up they will be fine.

The starters will benefit from spending another year together and the depth is as good as any o-line in the NFL.

• Like 1

I wanted o line in the draft too. The pick up of Adam's is potentially a steal however. I do think our line is ok, but not great. They won't dominate too many d lines. If someone like Adams or Williams could step up and take the RT job, allowing Ford to go to RG, I think we would be set with starters and quality depth. Basically I think our line is leaps and bounds better with Ford at guard. 

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets............

15 hours ago, Kevin French said:

No French. No. 

The team already has the 5 same offensive line players coming back and added Williams/Boehm to the mix. After Spain was re-signed, it was all going to be the same from there. 

No player at 54 or 86 was changing this offensive line anyways, so why add someone else there that would be inactive on game day?

Could they use a stud RT? Yes. Should Ford move to RG? Yes. That wasn't happening this offseason though, so they went with continuity. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SniperKn9 said:

No French. No. 

The team already has the 5 same offensive line players coming back and added Williams/Boehm to the mix. After Spain was re-signed, it was all going to be the same from there. 

No player at 54 or 86 was changing this offensive line anyways, so why add someone else there that would be inactive on game day?

Could they use a stud RT? Yes. Should Ford move to RG? Yes. That wasn't happening this offseason though, so they went with continuity. 

I think Ford will be a better RG than RT. I hope I am wrong.  Beane and McDermott believe Ford can improve from his rookie season and become a good RT. All players have a learning curve to adjusting to the NFL because of the speed and intelligence of the players, it's impossible to predict how long it will take for them to adjust.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering how good they have been at identifying area's of weakness on the team and improving those area's. Worst case scenario if Ford is horrible at RT he can be moved inside to RG and Ty Nsekhe or Daryl Williams can start at RT for this year and a RT can be drafted in the 1st round next year.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

3 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

I think Ford will be a better RG than RT. I hope I am wrong.  Beane and McDermott believe Ford can improve from his rookie season and become a good RT. All players have a learning curve to adjusting to the NFL because of the speed and intelligence of the players, it's impossible to predict how long it will take for them to adjust.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering how good they have been at identifying area's of weakness on the team and improving those area's. Worst case scenario if Ford is horrible at RT he can be moved inside to RG and Ty Nsekhe or Daryl Williams can start at RT for this year and a RT can be drafted in the 1st round next year.

I agree.

Instead of drafting o-line help they signed Daryl Williams and Boehm. They might not be anything to get excited about but they are solid, veteran depth.

Sure the o-line could be improved but they are going to be one of the better recent Bill olines.

It's time for Ford to step up and take the RT job.

Beane liked him enough to trade up in the 2nd. You don't do that for a guard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcw said:

I agree.

Instead of drafting o-line help they signed Daryl Williams and Boehm. They might not be anything to get excited about but they are solid, veteran depth.

Sure the o-line could be improved but they are going to be one of the better recent Bill olines.

I would have preferred moving Ford to RG and drafting a RT in the 2nd round. 

Beane and McDermott are betting on Ford improving at RT this year with more experience and Bobby Johnson help refine his technique. If the move doesn't work out Daryl Williams or Boehm or possibly Adams may be able to hold down the RT spot until next off season when it can be addressed in the 1st or 2nd round of the 2021 draft.

The 2017 and 2018 OL's were terrible. The 2019 OL was ok to good at times. And the 2020 OL should be good to very good if Ford can improve at RT.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

6 minutes ago, bcw said:

It's time for Ford to step up and take the RT job.

Beane liked him enough to trade up in the 2nd. You don't do that for a guard.

I agree with you. Beane projects him developing into a very good RT and that is why he traded up to get him.  Ford has to improve his foot quickness, and improve the consistency of playing with balance because when he over sets for outside rushes he leaves himself vulnerable to inside counter pass rusher moves. 

I believe in OL coach Bobby Johnson's ability to develop OL and he has to work on perfecting Ford's technique to make sure he is fundamentally sound. Ford moves well for a big man and has his weight equally distributed on his body but needs work on playing better in space in pass protection and when he has to hit moving targets in space in the running game or on screen passes.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

While I agree with some of the OP, if you think the OL was neglected this offseason, I have one word to use as a reminder:  2018.

If Josh could survive that, hopefully this season he can take advantage of a far better(though still far less than optimal) OL.  If those guys can step up, and/or maybe if we draft an OT in the first next year, his career can be less like David Carr's and more like Derek Carr's.  

PS this weekend proved the narrative a couple of people had about there not being lurkers here as being false.  I've personally had long stretches where I just read and didn't log on, and I'm guessing some would like me to return to that.  :)

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

Put me down as a bit disappointed we didn't address the OLINE in the draft.  It is a vital piece of Josh Allen's  success.

I really wanted Robert Hunt in the 2nd round.   Or Damien Lewis or John Simpson later.

However I wanted Zack Moss more in the 3rd round, than a guard, so I realize once Robert Hunt was drafted early in the 2nd round and we went Zack Moss in the 3rd, it was pretty much over.  

• Thanks 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

Put me down as a bit disappointed we didn't address the OLINE in the draft.  It is a vital piece of Josh Allen's  success.

I really wanted Robert Hunt in the 2nd round.   Or Damien Lewis or John Simpson later.

However I wanted Zack Moss more in the 3rd round, than a guard, so I realize once Robert Hunt was drafted early in the 2nd round and we went Zack Moss in the 3rd, it was pretty much over.  

NFL Network's Brian Baldinger was on Soup and the Bullfrog and this is what he said about the OL said, "Cody Ford is only going to get better, he played G and T. Size wise you aren't going to get much bigger than Cody. All Dion Dawkins is done is kinda prove people wrong for 3 year, he lines up at LT and plays pretty well every single week. Quinton Spain was a good pick up, and Mitch Morse. I thought they put together a pretty good group last year. When things do break down you they have a QB that is as talented  as anybody in this league at buying time and taking off with it...I always like to draft at least 1 OL each draft and cross train them"

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/4-28-hr-2-schopp-the-bulldog

Buffalo didn't draft any OL but signed Trey Adams as an undrafted free agent who was once considered a 1st or 2nd round talent before he had to deal with an ACL tear and 2 bulging disks in his back in 2018 and didn't play to his previous level in 2019. Adams is a low risk, high reward siging and could be a back up RT this year or next year if he has to be put on the practice squad. 

Buffalo Ty Nsekhe and Daryl Williams as back up OT's and either one can step in at RT if Cody Ford regresses at RT. Ford can be moved to RG and Nsekhe or Williams can step in at RT. 

More talent will be added to the OL after this season as both Nsekhe and Williams are on expiring contracts.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

The O line will be better just with experience playing together as a unit.  O line men usually take 2 to 3 years to develop.  Ford should get better with a year of experience.  However, I really like what the GM is doing.  You have Nyseke for depth but he is 35, he probably can't last a whole season.  So he signs Williams who was a pro bowl guy a few years ago and is not that old.  So what if Ford takes a step backward, we can plug in Nyseke.  What if Nyseke gets hurt being old....we have Williams to insert.  Now we also got a bonus in Adams.  If Adams can be developed and he can overcome his injuries in college, we might have a stud to plug in at RT down the road.  Ideally, Nyseke serves his last year, Ford demonstrates he can excel at RT, Williams can play RT and Adams can play RT all at a high level.  Now Adams shows he is healthy.  We trade Williams for a 1st round pick, Ford gets kicked to guard but can also play RT.  Adams start at RT and we have really good depth.  (Keep in mind the NFL is going to 17 games soon.  Having more O linemen that can play is important.  I think the Bills are very deep along the lIne.

2 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I hear you...

My lasting impression of our o-line from last year was at the end of the 4th quarter in the playoffs when Allen took two huge losses on sacks on 3rd and 4th down. On both plays there was a defender on his ass immediately after the ball was snapped; he had no chance.

12 minutes ago, Thurmal said:

My lasting impression of our o-line from last year was at the end of the 4th quarter in the playoffs when Allen took two huge losses on sacks on 3rd and 4th down. On both plays there was a defender on his ass immediately after the ball was snapped; he had no chance.

JJ Watt is kind of good, he may have won the MVP award or something. Those players are generally hard to block.

That doesn't mean the OL can't improve. That doesn't mean play calling can't improve. If you establish a running game and use play action passes off of it you can get more time for your QB to throw.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

20 hours ago, Thurmal said:

Watch the December game against the Patriots.   The final drive #70 (Cody) was like a swinging gate.  The Edge rusher was all over Josh...quickly.

22 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

NFL Network's Brian Baldinger was on Soup and the Bullfrog and this is what he said about the OL said, "Cody Ford is only going to get better, he played G and T. Size wise you aren't going to get much bigger than Cody. All Dion Dawkins is done is kinda prove people wrong for 3 year, he lines up at LT and plays pretty well every single week. Quinton Spain was a good pick up, and Mitch Morse. I thought they put together a pretty good group last year. When things do break down you they have a QB that is as talented  as anybody in this league at buying time and taking off with it...I always like to draft at least 1 OL each draft and cross train them"

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/4-28-hr-2-schopp-the-bulldog

Buffalo didn't draft any OL but signed Trey Adams as an undrafted free agent who was once considered a 1st or 2nd round talent before he had to deal with an ACL tear and 2 bulging disks in his back in 2018 and didn't play to his previous level in 2019. Adams is a low risk, high reward siging and could be a back up RT this year or next year if he has to be put on the practice squad. 

Buffalo Ty Nsekhe and Daryl Williams as back up OT's and either one can step in at RT if Cody Ford regresses at RT. Ford can be moved to RG and Nsekhe or Williams can step in at RT. 

More talent will be added to the OL after this season as both Nsekhe and Williams are on expiring contracts.

I hope Cody Ford is better than he was in December.   I hope.  Because he was not very good.

If he isn't better, then we damn well better give him the hook and move him to guard.

I wait to see how he performs...