Crazy Legs

** SPOTLIGHT. OLinemen the Bills are looking at in the Draft.

A few tea leaves to read in an attempt to guess which way Beane is going in the draft:

1)  Brandon Beane as the Bills GM has a "tendency" to sign a position in Free Agency and then still pick that same position in the draft.
The "tell" is if the players signed in Free Agency are short term, relatively inexpensive deals.   
Quinton Spain, OG and Daryl Williams, OG/OT were both signed in Free Agency, on 1 year, relatively cheap contracts.   So nothing stops Beane from drafting OG/OT.

2)  At the Combine Beane said two areas of focus were getting playmakers, and protecting Josh Allen.

3)  The Bills have been meeting / visiting with OLinemen:

OT Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa - Bills met with him at the Combine...when they still had a 1st round pick

OT Isaiah Wilson, Georgia - Bills "met" with him,  unconfirmed.   (projected 2nd round)

OG Damien Lewis, LSU - Bills FaceTimed him, and scouted LSU games. (Could go as high as 2nd round)

OG John Simpson, Clemson - The Bills sent OL coach Bobby Johnson to Clemson's ProDay and the Bills coaches met with him before his ProDay. (3rd round)

OT Cameron Clark, Charlotte - Per twitter the Bills "met" with him.  (7th round)

OG Kevin Dotson, La.-Lafayette - Bills met with him at the East West Shrine Game

OL Calvin Throckmorton,  Oregon - Bills met with him at the East West Shrine Game

There are probably other linemen the Bills have met with by FaceTime, but we just don't know about those meetings.  So we are looking with one eye through a small hole in the fence.  From what we can see it does appear Beane is looking at OLinemen and I expect he will draft at least one during the draft.

• Like 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

Seems to make sense.  As boring as the pick would be, I'd have no problem with them adding to the OL depth.  

• Like 1

So much depends on where Beane sees Ford fitting.

Unfortunately I expect they are going to force Ford into the RT spot.

28 minutes ago, bcw said:

So much depends on where Beane sees Ford fitting.

Unfortunately I expect they are going to force Ford into the RT spot.

Ford should get every opportunity to win the RT spot.

Because  the Wuhan Virus has eliminated OTAs and voluntary workouts.  It also threatens to wipe out training camp.   

With no practice time, assuming we even play in September, Ford and Ty are the favorites for RT, no matter who we draft.   Pretty hard for a rookie to learn the playbook or develop chemistry with Felicano without practicing in pads.  (Same holds for Daryl Williams trying to win the RT job)

While I would love for the Bills to draft an OT that has the same talent as Dion Dawkins had coming out of college, it will be hard sitting at pick 54. 

On the other hand, OGs Damien Lewis and John Simpson look like two prospects that could start by year 2.   One of them could replace Spain in 2021. 

Maybe that is what happens.  Beane drafts an OG.

3 minutes ago, Tanqueray Ten said:

Throckmorton had so much hype coming into this past fall.  But things cooled for him as the season went on.

Scouts pretty much have given him middling grades for his 2019 season. 
His Senior Bowl week went just okay, with some ups and downs, and giving up a couple of sacks in the game itself while playing RT.

My guess is he is a future backup guard in the NFL.  Wouldn't be too excited if we drafted him in the 5th/6th round.  Probably no upside.

21 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

Throckmorton had so much hype coming into this past fall.  But things cooled for him as the season went on.

His Senior Bowl week went just okay, with some ups and downs, and giving up a couple of sacks in the game itself while playing RT.

My guess is he is a future backup guard in the NFL.  Wouldn't be too excited if we drafted him in the 5th/6th round.  Probably no upside.

That's exactly where I would expect them to draft him as a project/ depth player if they still have 5th/ 6th round picks.  I'm hoping those picks are traded away.

Jk Dobbins in the second...beast! Great uphill runner, wiggle, vision and speed. Perfect pair with singletary. Like to see Oline in the 3rd and defensive depth after 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rcas0308 said:

Jk Dobbins in the second...beast! Great uphill runner, wiggle, vision and speed. Perfect pair with singletary. Like to see Oline in the 3rd and defensive depth after 

2nd rd - JK Dobbins, RB

3rd rd - Damien Lewis, OG

4th rd - Kenny Wilkes, Edge

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

2nd rd - JK Dobbins, RB

3rd rd - Damien Lewis, OG

4th rd - Kenny Wilkes, Edge

They are going to have to move up to get Dobbins and I'm all for it.

45 minutes ago, Tanqueray Ten said:

They are going to have to move up to get Dobbins and I'm all for it.

We get that dude we won't even recognize the offense from last year. Way more explosive! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo13 said:

Seems to make sense.  As boring as the pick would be, I'd have no problem with them adding to the OL depth.  

If Beane drafts an OL in the 2nd or 3rd round they should be competing for a starting role on the OL.

I would move Cody Ford to RG and draft an OT to compete with Daryl Williams for RT.

If Beane wants to keep Ford at RT, then he should draft an OG to compete with Spain or Feliciano like Shane Lemieux or Soloman Kindley or John Simpson or John Simpson or Cesar Ruiz.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

6 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

He has to play in a zone blocking scheme to excel in the NFL and may have to move to guard.

There was a lot of hype about him and the more I watched him the less I liked him.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, junglesouljah said:

If Beane drafts an OL in the 2nd or 3rd round they should be competing for a starting role on the OL.

I would move Cody Ford to RG and draft an OT to compete with Daryl Williams for RT.

If Beane wants to keep Ford at RT, then he should draft an OG to compete with Spain or Feliciano like Shane Lemieux or Soloman Kindley or John Simpson or John Simpson or Cesar Ruiz.

I have been suggesting for a couple of months Beane is going to draft OLine in the draft.

Yesterday they FaceTimed OL Robert Hunt.   So we have confirmed interest in Robert Hunt, Damien Lewis, John Simpson, and Isaiah Wilson.

Hunt and Wilson could play RT.    I think all could play guard in the NFL.

I like it.   This is what I was hoping Beane would do.     (Although all these draft prospects might need to develop and start in 2021 and not this season.  Which is cool).

IMO, these possibles are projected to be drafted late 2nd to late 3rd round.  

4/15/2020 ** NEW*Bills FACETIME 

OL Robert Hunt, Louisiana-Lafayette

Hunt is 6'5" 325lbs. Lance Zierlein: "......Like Cody Ford in last year's draft, Hunt is a plus athlete with a big man's frame who could be considered at guard or tackle. Inconsistent footwork and pad level are the primary culprits when he fails to win the rep, but there aren't any physical limitations that should prevent him from improving in both areas. He's a little raw but has the necessary talent to become a solid future starter at right tackle...."

NFL Comparison
Cody Ford

3rd round projection, possibly bottom of 2nd round.

Hey Crazy legs. Question for you. I feel teams will make drafting mistakes because of the isolation teams have to do. Like in person testing and interviews. Hopefully we get a good surprise for our 2nd round pick. What's your opinion?...You are the most knowledgeable on this site!

6 hours ago, sportsgal88 said:

Hey Crazy legs. Question for you. I feel teams will make drafting mistakes because of the isolation teams have to do. Like in person testing and interviews. Hopefully we get a good surprise for our 2nd round pick. What's your opinion?...You are the most knowledgeable on this site!

As you point out, the valuable in person workouts (at the prospect's college) and the face to face interviews (at OneBillsDrive) are all gone this year.  Plus, most Pro Days were cancelled.

So the short answer is, yes, there will be mistakes. The Bills will have to rely more on the scouting that they did during the fall.   And film.  Hopefully Beane and his scouts are better than other team's scouts.  

FYI. Last year the Bills flew to Mississippi and worked out Dawson Knox at the Ole Miss campus, running him through agility drills, etc.  They did the same with Devin Singletary.  They flew to Florida and "worked him out".  I am sure both workouts gave them more confidence to draft both.

• Thanks 1

Cyril Richardson.

Most mocks had him as a Round 2 guy, but he slid and the Bills got him in the 5th (why was he still there you might ask...???).  This is exactly what I DO NOT want to happen this year...

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, junglesouljah said:

I like moving Ford to Guard, but I think Feliciano is our meanest/nastiest/best Guard. I'd move Spain to the bench if Ford plays either Guard spot and hope FeliceNavidad still makes a spot on the line, as one of the G's, and draft a RT to battle it out with Nsehke, Williams & any other T on the team, present or future...

2 minutes ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

I like moving Ford to Guard, but I think Feliciano is our meanest/nastiest/best Guard. I'd move Spain to the bench if Ford plays either Guard spot and hope FeliceNavidad still makes a spot on the line, as one of the G's, and draft a RT to battle it out with Nsehke, Williams & any other T on the team, present or future...

I agree with you. I would go with Feliciano and Ford as the starting Guards and have Spain off the bench.

Beane believes Ford can play RT and believe that he can improve his play at RT with the coaching for OL coach Bobby Johnson, so it looks like Ford will be the starting RT this season. It's hard to find quality OT's in the NFL so if Ford can improve he will be a 2nd round steal, but he has to improve his ability to hit players in space, his ability to hit moving targets and improve his foot quickness.

We currently have Nsehke as the back up LT and Williams as the back up RT, which is better than last years OL depth.

I won't be surprised if Beane drafts an OT who has the versatility to play OG early in the draft, but I also won't be surprised if he ignores it until the later rounds to draft at anther area of need like a big body WR, RB #2, CB or quick twitchy edge rusher.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

22 hours ago, Tanqueray Ten said:

Cyril Richardson.

Most mocks had him as a Round 2 guy, but he slid and the Bills got him in the 5th (why was he still there you might ask...???).  This is exactly what I DO NOT want to happen this year...

The Bills drafted Cyril Richardson in the 5th round, as well as Zebrie Sanders, Ed Wang and Wyatt Teller in the 5th round.    

The talent you get at OLine in the 5th is USUALLY marginally....some sniff being starters but then fade.

You want good OLine?  No later then the 3rd, IMO.   

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

The Bills drafted Cyril Richardson in the 5th round, as well as Zebrie Sanders, Ed Wang and Wyatt Teller in the 5th round.    

The talent you get at OLine in the 5th is USUALLY marginally....some sniff being starters but then fade.

You want good OLine?  No later then the 3rd, IMO.   

Totally agree - wasn't Jonas Jennings the Marcellus Wiley Rd. 3 Comp pick?  I was never a big fan, but I thought he did a decent job for the Bills before he went to SF.

Kevin Dotson, OG, Louisiana-Lafayette

AP first-team All American Kevin Dotson had a strong showing this week at the East-West Shrine game, operating as a technician along the interior for the West team. The 6-foot-4, 324-pound guard plays with tremendous power and exceptional hand placement and held his own against the formidable West team defensive line. Dotson’s athleticism is a criminally understated aspect of his game, and he has shown the ability to alter his approach based on the vast array of interior defenders he faced. 

"This is a powerful dude in a phone booth. When he gets hands on you, he's winning."

"Every time you see a big run coming behind that right side, it's because he's cleared an expressway and I've also been impressed with what he's done in one-on-ones where it's really hard for an offensive lineman to have success in general."

Note. He is durable.  50 straight games in college.

46 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

Kevin Dotson, OG, Louisiana-Lafayette

AP first-team All American Kevin Dotson had a strong showing this week at the East-West Shrine game, operating as a technician along the interior for the West team. The 6-foot-4, 324-pound guard plays with tremendous power and exceptional hand placement and held his own against the formidable West team defensive line. Dotson’s athleticism is a criminally understated aspect of his game, and he has shown the ability to alter his approach based on the vast array of interior defenders he faced. 

"This is a powerful dude in a phone booth. When he gets hands on you, he's winning."

"Every time you see a big run coming behind that right side, it's because he's cleared an expressway and I've also been impressed with what he's done in one-on-ones where it's really hard for an offensive lineman to have success in general."

Note. He is durable.  50 straight games in college.

Daboll uses both zone blocking and gap/power blocking on run plays. So any player Beane drafts will have to be versatile to play both in a power/gap scheme and a zone blocking scheme.

If Breane is sold on Cody Ford at RT for at least this year, than he will most likely draft a OG/C who can compete with Quinton Spain and Jon Feliciano for a starting spot.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I don't know what Beane/McDermott are going to do, but the draft "board" seems to look like if you want an OT you have to take him in the 2nd, and if you want an OG you can possibly wait and take him in the 3rd.

Waiting until the 4th round for either probably just gives you a longshot. 

I like OL Robert Hunt at 54

and OL John Simpson at 86