Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

2nd round pick down to a RB or a Safety?

The Bills signed a new Right Tackle, Daryl Williams and re-signed CB EJ Gaines.

Now that the Bills have signed a RT,  two new CBs (Josh Norman and EJ Gaines), several DLine and LBers, plus traded for a #1 WR in Diggs,  the only need not addressed, so far is Running Back.

In addition to RB, the Bills mock drafts keep showing either Safety Kyle Duggar or Jeremy Chinn as possible picks.

So, as of today, are we going Running back or a safety?!!  LOL

• Barf 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

If Josh Jones or Prince Tega Wenogho falls to 54 they will be hard to pass, I believe Lucas Niang will fall to the 3rd round.

There is a good chance of Cam Akers being available in the 2nd round when Buffalo picks, there is lower probability that Jonathan Taylor will be there, either RB would be a great back up RB to Devin Singletary.

Safety isn't a need, but if Kyle Dugger or Jeremy Chinn are around in the 2nd round and Beane & McDermott believe they can play the interchangeable single high or box safety role required in Buffalo's defense they may draft one of them.

CB isn't a need but if a CB that is highly ranked on Buffalo's big board drops to 54 I could see CB being the pick. This is highly unlikely because in today's pass heavy NFL everyone wants CB's.

• Thanks 1

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

people who can cover and rush the passer are like pitchers in baseball.  YOu can never have too many.

Sin is nothing to celebrate, have pride in, or hold parades for. The rainbow is a symbol of promise not a symbol of depravity.

Julian Okwara, Terrell Lewis, Jabari Zuniga, Alton Robinson, Darrell Taylor, Jonathan Greenard, Khalid Kareem, Alex Highsmith are all edge rushers that could be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Honestly, I think if Shenault or Tee Higgens is there at 54, they should go WR in second round.  WR usally need 3 years to hit their potential.  Shenault is also a swiss army knife type receiver that can play all the positions.  Would be ideal to have him eased into the rotation, also provides great depth if one of the top 3 WR's get hurt or banged up.  Usually there is always one WR on each team that gets a little banged up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zan186 said:

Honestly, I think if Shenault or Tee Higgens is there at 54, they should go WR in second round.  WR usally need 3 years to hit their potential.  Shenault is also a swiss army knife type receiver that can play all the positions.  Would be ideal to have him eased into the rotation, also provides great depth if one of the top 3 WR's get hurt or banged up.  Usually there is always one WR on each team that gets a little banged up.

I get Shenault as a possible.  A better McKenzie.

I can't happen to think this year there will be no OTAs.  Not much of a training camp and a shortened preseason.   That makes it tough for a rookie WR to get up to speed.  There will be very few practices.

Running backs can get up to speed quicker.   Just something to weigh as we go into the draft.  Even more so for our 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.  They might head right to the practice squad.

yeah you can sometimeis  have too many picks, how to keep them all with the team. you still ending up risking some on the ps, just more

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

11 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

The Bills signed a new Right Tackle, Daryl Williams and re-signed CB EJ Gaines.

Now that the Bills have signed a RT,  two new CBs (Josh Norman and EJ Gaines), several DLine and LBers, plus traded for a #1 WR in Diggs,  the only need not addressed, so far is Running Back.

In addition to RB, the Bills mock drafts keep showing either Safety Kyle Duggar or Jeremy Chinn as possible picks.

So, as of today, are we going Running back or a safety?!!  LOL

I think Beane is a pretty straight shooter and he has once again done what he said he was setting out to do and that would be clearing up as many "needs" as he can ahead of the draft.  I think every position is on the table at 54.  But yes, if you're looking at need, then RB shoots to the top of the list.  

It all depends on how the board falls but I think bpa is the way to go here.  We have big contracts coming up so getting a guy at a premium position who could contribute this year and then start next year would be huge.  Like drafting an OT at 54 who could play RT this year or even be the swing guy and then let Dawkins walk next year saves a lot of money for Milano and White contracts. 

They could still draft WR if they wanted to as others have pointed out.  They could draft a TE.  There's no guarantee that Knox will take a step forward and we don't have anything impressive behind him.  

All that said, I think the overall goal of the draft should line up with the rest of the off season and that would be to score more points.  When in doubt, draft players that will help you score points. 

11 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

Safety isn't a need, but if Kyle Dugger or Jeremy Chinn are around in the 2nd round and Beane & McDermott believe they can play the interchangeable single high or box safety role required in Buffalo's defense they may draft one of them.

Exactly, We are set at Safety.Two solid starters and three deep behind them. Why is CL so insistent on draft someone at two that has almost no shot t seeing the field?

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

Exactly, We are set at Safety.Two solid starters and three deep behind them. Why is CL so insistent on draft someone at two that has almost no shot t seeing the field?

The guys in question, Chinn and Dugger, are viewed as more than a traditional safety.  Both could fill the "big nickel" role on the defense so they would most likely play a good deal.  Also, I think safety is super important in our defense so they may want as much quality depth as they can get.  That's just a thought process...not saying I agree 100% with it.  I'm still on board with the "score more points" mantra and neither of those guys score points.  

Build the offense.....rb or wr.

Pieces have been added all over the defense in fa. I expect they want to focus on offense in the draft.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scbill said:

Use the picks to trade up for the rob you really want...Swift!

All for drafting up, not necessarily for a running back but a player they really covet. Could be a running back as you mentioned.

Ordinarily I am for quality over quantity of draft picks but this team is at the point that we need to get some youth on cheap rookie deals.

We have the luxury now to sign veteran back ups to fill the back end of the roster but in a few years i expect the cap to be much tighter and we'll count on this year's draft picks to step up and produce inexpensively.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo13 said:

I think Beane is a pretty straight shooter and he has once again done what he said he was setting out to do and that would be clearing up as many "needs" as he can ahead of the draft.  I think every position is on the table at 54.  But yes, if you're looking at need, then RB shoots to the top of the list.  

It all depends on how the board falls but I think bpa is the way to go here.  We have big contracts coming up so getting a guy at a premium position who could contribute this year and then start next year would be huge.  Like drafting an OT at 54 who could play RT this year or even be the swing guy and then let Dawkins walk next year saves a lot of money for Milano and White contracts. 

They could still draft WR if they wanted to as others have pointed out.  They could draft a TE.  There's no guarantee that Knox will take a step forward and we don't have anything impressive behind him.  

All that said, I think the overall goal of the draft should line up with the rest of the off season and that would be to score more points.  When in doubt, draft players that will help you score points. 

I am onboard with an OT at 54....if it is a good one.  Not a reach.   Unfortunately Cap management may force the Boys to take a hard look at Dion Dawkins.  If he has a real strong 2020, I think they try to extend him.   If he is just okay, AND, they have drafted an OT next month that is showing promise, they could let Dawkins hit free agency.

As far as Best Player Available, I am completely onboard with that.  If JK Dobbins, RB falls to 54, okay draft him.   He is rated much higher than that.   If one of the Safeties is rated high, falls to 54?   Okay, take him.   Linebacker? Corner? Same thing.      I think WR would be less high on the list.  Any WR drafted will probably be fighting for #3 or #4 reps.  And without OTAs and maybe not training camp, it will be hard to get up to speed.

16 minutes ago, bcw said:

Ordinarily I am for quality over quantity of draft picks but this team is at the point that we need to get some youth on cheap rookie deals.

We have the luxury now to sign veteran back ups to fill the back end of the roster but in a few years i expect the cap to be much tighter and we'll count on this year's draft picks to step up and produce inexpensively.

Draft Picks.  You nailed it.

It is critical, long term, to draft players that make the roster and help blend their low cost salaries with the higher priced veterans.   You need as many of those first time contracts on your roster (as long as they are good) as you can.       So you can't waste those picks, you need to be successful with them. Matt Milano, 5th round pick, is a good example.   Even Knox and Singletary are relatively cheap being 3rd round picks.   In fact 2nd round picks have cheap contracts.  You need to draft guys in the 2nd round that become starters quickly and give you 4 years of "cheap labor".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Meathead said:

yeah you can sometimeis  have too many picks, how to keep them all with the team. you still ending up risking some on the ps, just more

I was thinking that the Bills roster is going to be tough, to make I could see the Bills target a player high second round 54 and a fourth to get to the low 30's. For a player they really covet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the climber said:

I was thinking that the Bills roster is going to be tough, to make I could see the Bills target a player high second round 54 and a fourth to get to the low 30's. For a player they really covet.

Agreed.  If there is an impact player they covet, I can see a move up.

Whether it is from 54 to 44 or higher.

Or, a move up from their 3rd round pick.

2 hours ago, the climber said:

I agree.  Beane's quote about reaching that point in Carolina was used again not that long ago in an article, so maybe that is what they have in mind.  

I also wouldn't mind them using a 7th on a kicker or punter, even though that isn't a popular idea with some.  

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

51 minutes ago, StraightJ said:

I agree.  Beane's quote about reaching that point in Carolina was used again not that long ago in an article, so maybe that is what they have in mind.  

I also wouldn't mind them using a 7th on a kicker or punter, even though that isn't a popular idea with some.  

Bring 3 or 4 free agent kickers to camp.