Carolina Panthers v Indianapolis ColtsPhoto by Justin Casterline/Getty Images

Yes, he’s also a former Panther

According to Marcel Louis-Jacques, the Buffalo Bills are making another free agent signing, this time adding defensive end Mario Addison. Like linebacker A.J. Klein, whom the Bills reportedly signed earlier this evening, Addison is a former Carolina Panthers defender.

Addison, who will turn 33 in September, entered the league in 2011 as an undrafted free agent. While he began his career with the Chicago Bears, it’s his time with the Carolina Panthers that make him most appealing in Buffalo.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott was Addison’s defensive coordinator from 2013-2016, and the defensive end notched 24.5 sacks over that time. For his career, Addison has 55 sacks, including four consecutive seasons of at least nine sacks.Since 2013, he’s averaged 8 sacks, 14 quarterback hits, and 7 tackles for loss per season.

The contract is a three-year deal, according to Louis-Jaques. No word yet on the numbers, but when those come available, we’ll update accordingly.

View the full article

The Buffalo Bills....

:rolleyes2

REBUILDING SINCE 2000!

To Fitzpatrick, Levitre, Kelsay, Mcgee, Barnett, Wilson, Jones, Nelson, Rinehart, McIntyre, Merriman, Shepperd, Scott, White, Wanny, and Mr. Chan Gailey...

It was real, it was fun, it just wasn't REAL FUN!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEWVILLE MUD DAWGS FEVER BABY! We might not be very good right now, but we have infinite heart! Alot like the Bills! ;) HALLA!

http://www.muddawgsfootball.com

SWEET!    He was on my wish list!

• Thanks 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

Smart signing by Beane. Veteran proven edge rusher that knows McDermott's system.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

16 minutes ago, Buffalo13 said:

He’s got more career sacks than Jerry Hughes. 

Mario Addison is a better player right now than Shaq Lawson.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

15 minutes ago, DC2007 said:

Yay a 33yr old Panther.. signed till hes 36.. super.

Addison has had 9 sacks or more that past 4 year. He can mentor Darryl Johnson and the rookie DE Beane will draft.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Was hoping for Quinn but this is a prime McBeane signing. Not a name, but productive. Good move.

• Like 1

MY FOUR FAVORITE TEAMS:

1) THE BLUE JAYS 2) THE BILLS

3) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE RED SOX

4) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE PACHEATIOTS

:bills:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetsy

Imagine, Patsie fans thinking something was amiss in A super Bowl. I bet they thought they had a monopoly on cheating. LOL

1 minute ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

Are his #s so much better than Shaq who shared snaps with Murphy?

I'm not sure of the # of snaps that Darryl Johnson got but he got some reps at LDE, Johnson also plays on special teams.

The new DL coach Eric Washington is known for developing DL so I could see Johnson taking a big jump in his development this year.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

2 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

I'm not sure of the # of snaps that Darryl Johnson got but he got some reps at LDE, Johnson also plays on special teams.

The new DL coach Eric Washington is known for developing DL so I could see Johnson taking a big jump in his development this year.

I'm talking about the DE we just signed from CAR.

Addison.

20 minutes ago, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

I'm talking about the DE we just signed from CAR.

Addison.

Addison will most likely split reps with Murphy at LDE, unless Beane signs someone like Dante Fowler and cuts Murphy.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

8 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

Smart signing by Beane. Veteran proven edge rusher that knows McDermott's system.

He's better than Shaq lol Temporary fit until we groom the next guy but he's a 10 sack a year guy . Beane is the shit! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DC2007 said:

Yay a 33yr old Panther.. signed till hes 36.. super.

My thoughts too, and 10 million per....

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets............

Hmm

I don't know about this one. Not that I don't like Addison. But its roughly the same money it would've taken to keep either Lawson or Phillips who are both younger than Mario. 

• Thanks 2

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

18 minutes ago, Victor7 said:

Hmm

I don't know about this one. Not that I don't like Addison. But its roughly the same money it would've taken to keep either Lawson or Phillips who are both younger than Mario. 

Addison is a far better pass rusher than Lawson, and has had at least 9 sacks the past 4 years. Beane will draft an athletic edge rusher in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds that will have a higher upside as a pass rusher than Lawson.

Phillips wanted to get paid after a big sack production year but he converted on an abnormally high percentage of his QB pressures last year and will have a hard time replicating that this year or next. Phillips was also not a good run defender despite his size because he would consistently play with a bad pad level and bad leverage in the running game. You don't draft Ed Oliver at 9th overall to then go overpay for a player how has played with questionable effort level for multiple years and had a big sack year when he was set to be a free agent.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

5 hours ago, rcas0308 said:

He's better than Shaq lol Temporary fit until we groom the next guy but he's a 10 sack a year guy . Beane is the shit! 

I agree with you 100%.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

11 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

Addison is a far better pass rusher than Lawson, and has had at least 9 sacks the past 4 years. Beane will draft an athletic edge rusher in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds that will have a higher upside as a pass rusher than Lawson.

Phillips wanted to get paid after a big sack production year but he converted on an abnormally high percentage of his QB pressures last year and will have a hard time replicating that this year or next. Phillips was also not a good run defender despite his size because he would consistently play with a bad pad level and bad leverage in the running game. You don't draft Ed Oliver at 9th overall to then go overpay for a player how has played with questionable effort level for multiple years and had a big sack year when he was set to be a free agent.

The last 4 years don't really matter. The next 4 do. And Addison is getting up there in years while Phillips and Lawson will enter their primes. I don't hate the move. I'm just saying it seems like we would've been better off paying either of our guys. 

• Thanks 1

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

1 hour ago, Victor7 said:

The last 4 years don't really matter. The next 4 do. And Addison is getting up there in years while Phillips and Lawson will enter their primes. I don't hate the move. I'm just saying it seems like we would've been better off paying either of our guys. 

IMHO you are over valuing Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips.

Beane places a certain valuation on players and refuses to over pay for them. I like both Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips but not for $10 million/year.

Both player have issues in there respective games and Buffalo can get better at DE and DT by a combination of signing a veteran player and drafting a young player.

Mario Addison is a better player right now than Shaq Lawson. I'm assuming the entire deal is not fully guaranteed and it will have an out clause in the 2nd or 3rd year so Buffalo can cut him if his production declines. Beane  and McDermott highly value veterans and a player like Mario Addison can help mentor 2nd year Darryl Johnson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beane signs DJ Reader or if he brings back Corey Liuget, both will be better signings than bringing back Jordan Phillips.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Addison is a better pass rusher than Shaq Lawson.  Period.   Bills are looking to win in 2020.

I am very pleased with signing Addison.    Same money for both players.   So I like Addison over Shaq. 

• Like 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

windowsserver_article_019.jpg

• Like 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

Pass rushers are expensive, obviously, unless there is a factor that will bring the price down......like age in Addison's case. I doubt he'll make it to year 3 of the contract, where there will be $2 million in dead cap but $8 million in cap savings.

I'm excited to see this defense with an improved pass rush. Aging vets Hughes and Addison along with Johnson, a draft pick and possibly Murphy should be an improvement at DE.

I understand the case for cutting Murphy ($8 million in cap savings) but he is a solid rotational DE. 

If there isn't a good option in the draft....keep him. If we draft someone, thanks for your time in Buffalo....good luck.

He gives the Bills flexibility in the draft.