Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

Right Tackle options in Free Agency for the Buffalo Bills:

Upgrading OT has been my own top wish list item since the season ended, while others might want a WR or EDGE.
IMO getting an upgrade to Ty Nsekhe will benefit the Bills (& Josh Allen) in several ways.   Including moving Cody Ford to Guard and sliding Ty to swing tackle.

Who are possible options if Beane does decide to go after an upgrade in Free Agency?

Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT, Eagles. 26 years old   - "Big V" can play either tackle spot, as well as guard.   His market value is projected to be $9+ million a year
Demar Dotson, OT, Tampa Bay - All reports suggest he had a solid 2019. 
Daryl Williams, OT, Carolina - he had a down year in 2019, getting shuffled up and down the OLine.  Est value $6 million one year.
Bryan Bulaga, RT - Strong locker room vet.    Projected $10 million a year.   
Jack Conklin, RT - Projected $15 million a year, so maybe too pricey

If Beane can't swing a deal to upgrade RT in Free Agency, then I hope one of the TOP 4 OTs in the draft falls to 22.   

• Thanks 2

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

I would rather draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round and have them compete with Ty Nsekhe for the RT spot. It will allow Beane to use the money they would have spent on a RT , as well as the money from cutting Tyler Kroft on getting WR Breshad Perriman and TE Eric Ebron.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

1 hour ago, junglesouljah said:

I would rather draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round and have them compete with Ty Nsekhe for the RT spot. It will allow Beane to use the money they would have spent on a RT , as well as the money from cutting Tyler Kroft on getting WR Breshad Perriman and TE Eric Ebron.

I would definitely take an OT in the 1st round....provided it is one of the Top 4 OTs.     Becton, Wirfs, Thomas or Wills.
(Not a fan of Josh Jones at 22)

Lucas Niang would be okay in the 2nd.    But it will take a move up to ensure they get him.  
Maybe Ezra Cleveland at the bottom of the 2nd round.    

Although we would have to hope Niang or Cleveland turn out as well as Dion Dawkins did....and not Cody Ford.   That is the risk.  Drafting a guy that can't do it as a rookie at RT.

24 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

I would definitely take an OT in the 1st round....provided it is one of the Top 4 OTs.     Becton, Wirfs, Thomas or Wills.
(Not a fan of Josh Jones at 22)

Lucas Niang would be okay in the 2nd.    But it will take a move up to ensure they get him.  
Maybe Ezra Cleveland at the bottom of the 2nd round.    

Although we would have to hope Niang or Cleveland turn out as well as Dion Dawkins did....and not Cody Ford.   That is the risk.  Drafting a guy that can't do it as a rookie at RT.

I actually like Josh Jones if he there at 22. I honestly don't think Becton, Wirfs, Thomas or Willis will make it to 22.

When Lucas Niang was healthy in 2018 he was playing at a high level, compared to 2019 when he was struggling playing through a hip injury. Look at Niang's game vs Ohio State where he held up well in reps against Nick Bosa and Chase Young. Niang should be there at 54 for Buffalo in the 2nd round

I have to watch tape on Ezra Cleveland, but I know he tested out very well at the combine.

Ford played LG at Oklahoma before switching to RT, and you could see some stiffness in Ford's pass protection at RT. IMO Ford is a natural G in the NFL and should not have even been tried at OT.

Niang, Jones and Cleveland are natural OT in the NFL, are have a lot more foot quickness and agility than Ford does. The risk was forcing Ford to play RT to see if he could pull it off. There are minimal risks in drafting true OT like Niang, Jones and Cleveland compared to drafting Ford and forcing him to play out of position. 

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

(I get that this may be slightly off topic, but it seems as good a place for it as any right now)

One of the articles I saw today(I didnt read it), mentioned WR and Edge, but insteaof of T it listed G as the other area to upgrade.  Like I said, I didn't read it, but found it interesting.  It may have been on that post with the big list of daily articles if anyone is interested.

I also saw some things recently that made me question some assumptions I keep seeing being made: 1)That Dawkins can be as successful at RT(even though some assume it's an easier spot), and similarly, 2)That Cody Ford will be a good guard in the NFL.  What I'm passing on(and not taking credit for myself) is that the author didn't see the characteristics that make a good guard in the NFL...being a mauler and whatever else.  I've seen what Jungle and draft analysts have said, but this fellow's observation(I wish I remembered more of the details to share) got me to question something I had just accepted.

I'm not taking any stances at the moment, just passing along the information from a couple of different sources recently that made me curious to see a Range response to.  Thanks in advance.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

11 hours ago, StraightJ said:

(I get that this may be slightly off topic, but it seems as good a place for it as any right now)

One of the articles I saw today(I didnt read it), mentioned WR and Edge, but insteaof of T it listed G as the other area to upgrade.  Like I said, I didn't read it, but found it interesting.  It may have been on that post with the big list of daily articles if anyone is interested.

I also saw some things recently that made me question some assumptions I keep seeing being made: 1)That Dawkins can be as successful at RT(even though some assume it's an easier spot), and similarly, 2)That Cody Ford will be a good guard in the NFL.  What I'm passing on(and not taking credit for myself) is that the author didn't see the characteristics that make a good guard in the NFL...being a mauler and whatever else.  I've seen what Jungle and draft analysts have said, but this fellow's observation(I wish I remembered more of the details to share) got me to question something I had just accepted.

I'm not taking any stances at the moment, just passing along the information from a couple of different sources recently that made me curious to see a Range response to.  Thanks in advance.

Whoever wrote the article saying the Bills should draft a guard, don't know the whole picture.   They assume Quinton Spain is gone...and who needed to be upgraded anyhow.

What they don't realize is that Cody Ford most likely will be playing guard in 2020.

We need to sign or draft an GOOD RT.   Then slid Cody to guard and put Ty at swing tackle.   OLine upgraded. Check!

On 3/9/2020 at 8:59 PM, junglesouljah said:

Bryan Bulaga, RT is now projected to hit Free Agency next week.

So then Beane has to decide if he wants to lock down a new RT in Free Agency (bird in the hand) or wait and spin the wheel in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft...not knowing who will or won't be available.   Nor knowing if they will pan out.   

As an example:  is Cody Ford.   We moved up in the 2nd round, high in the 2nd round, and hoped he would come in and start at RT.   It didn't work.   The same thing could happen this year.   We wait, draft Lucas Niang in the 2nd round, and Niang doesn't play well enough to start.  That means we would be starting Ty all year at RT.

I would love to draft Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton, in the 1st round.  That would be my preference.  But we don't control that.  

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

Bryan Bulaga, RT is now projected to hit Free Agency next week.

So then Beane has to decide if he wants to lock down a new RT in Free Agency (bird in the hand) or wait and spin the wheel in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft...not knowing who will or won't be available.   Nor knowing if they will pan out.   

As an example:  is Cody Ford.   We moved up in the 2nd round, high in the 2nd round, and hoped he would come in and start at RT.   It didn't work.   The same thing could happen this year.   We wait, draft Lucas Niang in the 2nd round, and Niang doesn't play well enough to start.  That means we would be starting Ty all year at RT.

I would love to draft Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton, in the 1st round.  That would be my preference.  But we don't control that.  

I like Bryan Bulaga but he win turn 31 years old this season and will will demand at least $11 million/year and  that is a very conservative estimate. Spotrac has his value at $10.8 million/year but when DJ Humphries signed a new contract with an average value of $14,583,333/year the price of OT's, LT's or RT's will increase.

I wouldn't be mad if Beane signed Bulaga in free agency, but I would rather have Beane go after an edge rusher in free agency and then daft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, and draft an athletic edge rusher in the 3rd or 4th round. Some edge rushers Beane can go after in free agency include Dante Fowler Jr or  Matt Judon. Reports are saying the Rams will not franchise Fowler and they are in salary cap hell so they will have trouble re-signing Fowler. Reports indicate that the Ravens may franchise Judon but that has not happened yet and the franchise deadline has been extended to March 10th and the Ravens are in a good enough salary cap situation to sign Judon. Spotrac has a market value of $14.8 million/year for Fowler and the market value of $16.3 million/year for Judon. I would go very aggressively after Fowler and use the draft to get a RT.

Cody Ford is a natural G in the NFL not a T. You can't blame Beane and McDermott for trying Ford at RT to see if he could develop but Ford is much better a G and I expect him to be moved to G this season.

As far as Lucas Niang, he played bad in 2019 because he was dealing with a hip injury and played through the injury. If you look at his 2018 tape he played at a high level and his game against Ohio State shows what he is capable of.

There are a lot of talented, athletic OT's in this years draft that Beane will be able to draft in the 1st or 2nd round.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

The Bills re-signing Q Spain may damp down the push to sign an OT in Free Agency.

I am curious what McDermott plans to do with Cody Ford.  Will he be a part time starter at RT again?  Can he get better at pass pro (he struggled IMO)?

The Lions just released Rick Wagner I'm not saying sign him but Beane should at least look at where he fits in the market.

3 hours ago, the climber said:

The Lions just released Rick Wagner I'm not saying sign him but Beane should at least look at where he fits in the market.

Rick Wagner played about 750 snaps this past season.  I am guessing that is about 70% of the snaps.

He gave up only 3 sacks and committed 3 penalties.

Cody Ford also played about 750 snaps.  He gave up 7 sacks and committed 8 penalties.

So head to head, Wagner was a bit better than Cody Ford. 

20 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Rick Wagner played about 750 snaps this past season.  I am guessing that is about 70% of the snaps.

He gave up only 3 sacks and committed 3 penalties.

Cody Ford also played about 750 snaps.  He gave up 7 sacks and committed 8 penalties.

So head to head, Wagner was a bit better than Cody Ford. 

Yes, but does he "Trust The Process(tm)"?  ;)

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

Cordy Glenn was cut by Cinci and I think he could still play, especially on the right side, if he's healthy.  The healthy part is a big "if" but if he is open to coming back and if the Bills are comfortable with him then he may come cheap on a 1 year deal.

8 hours ago, Buffalo13 said:

Cordy Glenn was cut by Cinci and I think he could still play, especially on the right side, if he's healthy.  The healthy part is a big "if" but if he is open to coming back and if the Bills are comfortable with him then he may come cheap on a 1 year deal.

many Bills fans won't like the idea.  But you are right, if Cordy is open to

a) coming back to Buffalo and b) can transition to the Right side, he is probably better than Ty Nsekhe.

Although it sounds like the Bills are going to keep Cody Ford at Right Tackle this year.