Sign in to follow this  
StraightJ

REPORT: (Schefter) NFL expected to expand playoff field to 14 teams (vote on whether you approve or not)

6 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

everything has. Your critical thinking skills are dulled by your tv watching.

KC coming from behind in 3 playoff games is proof.

the Rams going to a super bowl with 2 years of moving to LA is proof.

my ability to pick SF to make it to the SB, before season even started is proof.

extreme and incredibly timely things keep happening every week in tv sports. If they were let play out naturally, it would be boring 90% of the time and stars would never last as long with careers. It would be incredibly unpredictable. The Common man has lost all common sense

You must be fun at parties.

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, StraightJ said:

<--------------Schefter has "Insider" in his title like me, it earns trust, as well as builds rapport through commonality for me.  

*VOTE* on whethere you like the 7th playoff spot ot not by hitting the positive OR negatives(some will love that! lol) below!  Yeah, I am rooting  for the positive to win, but am ready for whatever from years of Range conditioning! lol  

A thread of mine that may finally get some thanks!!  I knew if I continued with the training, the prayers, and the vitamins,  it would finally happen for me, and I believe that day is here!! CBA!!!  :beer:   (Lit's Jesus thread told me to live it, and as the only serious respondent, I believe I did!)

According to NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the NFL is working towards finalizing a new collective bargaining agreement—possibly as soon as next week—that could include big-time changes for the NFL postseason format.

More details: Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team, and the preseason shortened to three games per team, per sources.

As currently constructed, the NFL postseason features six teams, four division winners and two wild card teams. The wild card teams play on Wild Card Weekend while the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds receive a first-round bye. Under the possible new system, which Schefter reported could take place as soon as next season, there will be seven teams making the playoffs from each conference rather than six and there will only be a single first round bye given to the top teams in each conference rather than two byes per conference.

Players on a team receiving a first round bye would receive postseason pay for that week, something that is also different from the previous CBA and certainly got players behind the changes. 

The change of the overall NFL playoff field to 14 teams would mean instead six wild card round games rather than the current total of four. 

Under the current transformational CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, there would be more drama at the end of the regular season...and six - six! - games on wild-card weekend. Imagine three wild-card games on Saturday, then three more Sunday.

If the new, proposed playoff format was in effect last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams would've been the last two teams in, while the Bears would've been a mere one game back of a postseason berth. 

While the playoff changes would take place swiftly, there are additional items that could be added to take place at a later date, including a 17-game regular season. According to Schefter's report, there was little-to-no disagreement among NFL folks when it came to expanding the postseason and seeing how last season went for the Bears, there certainly won't be many complaints about the playoff field expanding in Chicago either. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/report-nfl-expected-expand-playoff-field-14-teams

More greed, just what this league needs (sarcasm).

If more money is involved, the owners will vote yes every time, but they will say it is for the fans.

8 hours ago, Angry Byrds said:

You must be fun at parties.

Of course I am. I have a multi range sense of humor and I mingle. It has nothing to do with how I text on a forum. Or what i text about. This is a completely  different  realm from human interaction. 

Both are shallow interactions from opposite ends though.  Here, I can can say what's exactly  inside my mind without it being know who I am.

In person  you guard against saying what you deeply think and feel for fear of rejection. Either way, neither is the real you,  on the whole. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:02 AM, LiterateStylish said:

This would, in effect, all but guarantee a playoff spot for a 9-7 team yearly.

yeah those types of teams you mean.  

I assume this only is approved if the reduction of one preseason game and addition of one regular season is too.

So those 9-7 teams could be 9-8 teams making playoffs.... yeah not sure this is  a good idea. If NFL expands 4 teams then maybe sure.

If this prevents a protracted labor battle and loss of a season then yes I will accept the proposal.

• Thanks 1

cba fan

17 hours ago, cba fan said:

yeah those types of teams you mean.  

I assume this only is approved if the reduction of one preseason game and addition of one regular season is too.

So those 9-7 teams could be 9-8 teams making playoffs.... yeah not sure this is  a good idea. If NFL expands 4 teams then maybe sure.

If this prevents a protracted labor battle and loss of a season then yes I will accept the proposal.

Yep, exactly.

• Thanks 1

ELVesNXWwAAe_QT.jpg

It means  a team can't be guaranteed  a number 2 spot. Therefore they won't rest while assuming a bye.

I guarantee  you'll see 2s playing 8s, 9s in the last couple weeks and that'll  make people watch.

Lol at questioning a billion dollar industry  on whether YOU think it's a good idea. Youre dumb ass fans who root for losing teams  for years. What would you know?  You'll accept it anyway.

Man, only one first round by team? That seems kind of unfair, too much of an advantage. At least with two buy teams you had one more team that had the same advantage. Under that format, all the other teams would be risking losing players, be more beat up, a little more tired. It would make getting the first seed way more important than it is now

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

I seem to recall reading the proposal included the removal of the much-maligned 4th preseason game.  Trading that for an extra week of meaningful football seems like a no-brainer(which I seem to recall had plenty of support on here in the past), and the extra playoff team seems like a bonus that would make the NFL regular season more meaningful to more teams for longer overall, despite the cons of losing a bye for 1 team.

Let's not overreact and act like this is becoming the NHL or even the NBA in terms of letting "too many" teams in.  And yeah, I'd be open to changing the seeding rules to prevent teams that win the division with paltry records(Seattle with a losing record comes to mind) having home field and a better seed vs wild card teams that finish with a better record.  At least the NFL is showing SOME flexibility, and the end of automatic BANS of players testing positive for a non-enhancing natural plant that is legal in many states is a true step forward that many on here who even mocked banned players have stated support for over the years. 

March Madness lets 68 teams in, and occasionally some really low seeds(11 or so) make magical Cinderalla runs to the Final 4, which as my uncle(a former coach whom I went to a Final 4 with) says is an accomplishment itself, something unique in post season sports.  Back when NC State beat Houston in a "miraculous" upset, there were only 52 teams....and I haven't seen an outcry against the percentage of teams added since then.  Maybe someone will want to do the math and compare the percentage added in relations to 1 extra team for each conference added.  2 seeds have lost to 15s a number of times in the opening round, and finally a 1 seed was even eliminated by a 16, which cements having to show up instead of resting on your laurels.  No byes for 1 seeds who do well early and go into coast mode at the end of the season.  I doubt folks would complain if the Patriots lost an easier road due to the new rules.

It's enjoyable to see critical thinking used here, but it seems like after decades of conditioning of some Bills' fans to focus on the negatives, that mindset has taken hold with some.  Again, I lament not trying to do a proper poll on this new board, as I still think a tally would have been useful to see how folks thought overall.  A few posts in a row that focus on some negative aspects can steer the narrative in a way that may cloud what the overall feeling is.

Meat, Lit, Victor(lol at thinking that figurehead will even log on, let alone help)... any chance you can edit the OP to make it a traditional poll?  I'd do it myself if someone would finally fix the settings to allow us to edit posts after an hour, like we could on the old board.  I likely will keep requesting that until someone finally fixes that, as it is a very practical request.

For now, my lean is in favor of the new rules.  If they turn out to not be worth it, the old rules could always be reinstituted.  As others have noted, the NFL is a bottom lined business, and in this case would likely operate based on the models of nature and a free market, where fans speak with their pocketbooks.  Although it wouldn't always be the case, this would present opportunity for teams who had bad starts(due to things like injury) to come on strong at the end of the season and have a chance at a run.  Where your focus is will likely determine your opinion.

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy