Sign in to follow this  
StraightJ

REPORT: (Schefter) NFL expected to expand playoff field to 14 teams (vote on whether you approve or not)

<--------------Schefter has "Insider" in his title like me, it earns trust, as well as builds rapport through commonality for me.  

*VOTE* on whethere you like the 7th playoff spot ot not by hitting the positive OR negatives(some will love that! lol) below!  Yeah, I am rooting  for the positive to win, but am ready for whatever from years of Range conditioning! lol  

A thread of mine that may finally get some thanks!!  I knew if I continued with the training, the prayers, and the vitamins,  it would finally happen for me, and I believe that day is here!! CBA!!!  :beer:   (Lit's Jesus thread told me to live it, and as the only serious respondent, I believe I did!)

According to NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the NFL is working towards finalizing a new collective bargaining agreement—possibly as soon as next week—that could include big-time changes for the NFL postseason format.

More details: Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team, and the preseason shortened to three games per team, per sources.

As currently constructed, the NFL postseason features six teams, four division winners and two wild card teams. The wild card teams play on Wild Card Weekend while the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds receive a first-round bye. Under the possible new system, which Schefter reported could take place as soon as next season, there will be seven teams making the playoffs from each conference rather than six and there will only be a single first round bye given to the top teams in each conference rather than two byes per conference.

Players on a team receiving a first round bye would receive postseason pay for that week, something that is also different from the previous CBA and certainly got players behind the changes. 

The change of the overall NFL playoff field to 14 teams would mean instead six wild card round games rather than the current total of four. 

Under the current transformational CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, there would be more drama at the end of the regular season...and six - six! - games on wild-card weekend. Imagine three wild-card games on Saturday, then three more Sunday.

If the new, proposed playoff format was in effect last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams would've been the last two teams in, while the Bears would've been a mere one game back of a postseason berth. 

While the playoff changes would take place swiftly, there are additional items that could be added to take place at a later date, including a 17-game regular season. According to Schefter's report, there was little-to-no disagreement among NFL folks when it came to expanding the postseason and seeing how last season went for the Bears, there certainly won't be many complaints about the playoff field expanding in Chicago either. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/report-nfl-expected-expand-playoff-field-14-teams

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

As a matter of trivia, does anyone know how many times the Bills would have made the playoffs under this new format?   I imagine we must have someone on the board good with those kind of facts.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

18 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

This would, in effect, all but guarantee a playoff spot for a 9-7 team yearly.

Curious of your opinion on that.  I try not to assume too much on here....

How do i vote   HELL NO.

The Playoffs should be for the top teams.   Not 9-7 wannabes, and certainly not 8-8 teams. 

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

I think with the addition of expansion teams that the playoffs should include more teams.  With injuries playing a larger role and more teams in the league, it only seems right to open up a spot for a team that just misses.

Personally I think it should be the top half of the league should make the playoffs.  8 teams.  I think the first round bye is lame.  Reasons:  1) More football is a good thing.  2) Playoff football is more exciting than the regular season.  3) Sucks when your team is not in the playoffs.  4) Generates more revenue for the league.  5) Teams that lost a key player for 3 or 4 weeks still have a chance to get back in it.  

Lot of people are traditionalists and resist change.  I see changes that make the league more competitive and keep more viewers glued to the game as a good thing.

8 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

How do i vote   HELL NO.

The Playoffs should be for the top teams.   Not 9-7 wannabes, and certainly not 8-8 teams. 

but now those 9-7 WC  teams can host a 8-8 division winner

17 hours ago, StraightJ said:

As a matter of trivia, does anyone know how many times the Bills would have made the playoffs under this new format?   I imagine we must have someone on the board good with those kind of facts.

since 1980,

they finished 2nd, seven times, making playoffs 5 of those times .

they finished 3rd, ten times, making playoff twice,

so depending on other teams,  would have made it alot

I'm torn. 

How do people feel it will affect the end of the regular season?  There will be potentially less teams fighting for a bye and maybe instead of three teams fighting for 2 wild card spots, all three are in and therefore we get less meaningful games.

• Thanks 1

More excitement because of more teams playing for a playoff spot (e.g. Raiders/Steelers last year). However less excitement because nobody cares if the patriots lose to Miami in the last week. 
i say no because it would make the no 2 spot way worse and because too many bad teams (aka the Bills during some of the last 20 years) make it into the playoffs and get demolished. 

but the nfl makes more money so the decision has been taken 

Proud adopter of #16 Robert Foster and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of

The Buffalo Eightyfive percents

I don’t mind it because you get shit divisions like the NFC East that get an 8-8 team in or something of that nature and a team like the 10 win bills could sit at home because they play the best team in the league 2x a year.  This way, that garbage division winner has to less impact on teams that actually played far better.  Now it’s 4 division winners and the next 3 best records, it leaves a chance for a team that lost their QB for a stretch or something of that nature to still get a shot.  

If somebody like Rodgers goes down, the team is sunk even in some cases if it’s for 4 games because they are in a great division, maybe they lose 3 games because they run into 3 playoff teams without their key player in that span.  It happens.  Now you miss out on the playoffs because at one stretch, a guy was down.  The Chiefs could have easily missed the playoffs this year back Mahomes got hurt, luckily they managed and their division stumbled, but there’s an example of how a SB team could be sitting at home, while winning say 9 or 10 games and a team like the Bills take a WC spot because they get on of the easiest schedules in NFL history and don’t suck. 

Could it lead to a couple of shit games on one weekend of football? Yeah.  Could it allow for one helluva story? For sure.  I say expand in this case.  

• Like 1

Just for kicks, going back 16 years, the record of the teams that would have made the playoffs under the 14 team format-

11-5 ------ 1 time

10-6 ------ 7 times

9-6-1 ----- 1 time

9-7 -------- 14 times

8-7-1 ----- 1 time

8-8 -------- 8 times

Also, FWIW-

In the years the 10-6 teams would have made it, there was (1) 10-6 team from the same conference that still would not have made it.

In the years the 9-7 teams would have made it, there were also (12) 9-7 teams from the same conference that still would not have made it.

In the years the 8-8 teams made it, there were (7) 8-8 teams from the same conference that still would not have made it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

I don’t like the idea of only one team getting a first round playoff bye

dont worry about it, Theyll eventually add one more team and then bring it back to 2

2 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

dont worry about it, Theyll eventually add one more team and then bring it back to 2

8 teams in the playoffs sounds awful.  Going to have 7-9 teams in every year, they won't do that it'll dull out the competitive nature of the playoffs.  4 division winners and 4 wildcards?  terrible.  The change to 7 is bad enough

50 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

8 teams in the playoffs sounds awful.  Going to have 7-9 teams in every year, they won't do that it'll dull out the competitive nature of the playoffs.  4 division winners and 4 wildcards?  terrible.  The change to 7 is bad enough

I dont recall if I made a traditional poll on this new board yet, but now wish I had being folks seem incapable of following instructions on here, lol.  Point I'm getting to is I think this opinion would be a minority one, and seen as "Debbie Downer".  

There's pros and cons to many things, and what you focus on is what you tend to see more of.  For example, I appreciate the return of Bumbles and the list he made which was similar to what I had asked if anyone knew about the Bills.  

56 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Who cares if their 7-9?

Any given sunday, remember? 

Regular  season hasn't ment crap for  20 years. It proves  what I've said, that sports is entertainment,  not competition.  They want big tv audiences and 2 more happy cities and a bigger chance to screw bettors. Like they did with Titans and Texans this year. 

Raiders are definitely  a playoff  team next season

2 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Who cares if their 7-9?

Any given sunday, remember? 

Regular  season hasn't ment crap for  20 years. It proves  what I've said, that sports is entertainment,  not competition.  They want big tv audiences and 2 more happy cities and a bigger chance to screw bettors. Like they did with Titans and Texans this year. 

Raiders are definitely  a playoff  team next season

Nothing has ever proved what you say.

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Nothing has ever proved what you say.

everything has. Your critical thinking skills are dulled by your tv watching.

KC coming from behind in 3 playoff games is proof.

the Rams going to a super bowl with 2 years of moving to LA is proof.

my ability to pick SF to make it to the SB, before season even started is proof.

extreme and incredibly timely things keep happening every week in tv sports. If they were let play out naturally, it would be boring 90% of the time and stars would never last as long with careers. It would be incredibly unpredictable. The Common man has lost all common sense

• Haha 1

This means more football, that’s fine with me. They should take away a preseason game though. Up the salary cap more and allow for more players. 

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.