Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

Bills may have to pay Dion Dawkins $15 million a year on a contract extension

The #AZCardinals have agreed with OT D.J. Humphries on a three-year, $45 million deal with $30m over the first 2 years, $29m guaranteed, sources say.

Based on that deal, I think the Dion is going to want and expect $15 million a year.

Maybe 4 yrs $60M?     And a lot of it guaranteed.    If we re-sign Tre White, Dion and Matt Milano, we are going to use up a lot of that excess cap we think we have slushing around.

If I am the Bills I am keeping an open mind to drafting an OT in the 1st round, if a good one falls close to pick 22.  A cornerback too.

• Thanks 1

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

53 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

If I am the Bills I am keeping an open mind to drafting an OT in the 1st round, if a good one falls close to pick 22.  A cornerback too.

+1.  An open mind can be a very useful tool, even if some like to focus on the minority of times it is not.  Along with real life inflation, one would do well to keep in mind "NFL inflation" when we think about numbers.  I like that you had the chutzpah(look detractors, I used a yiddish word! ;)) to mention CB.  Daryl and myself like to kid Sean about his head exploding if a CB is drafted in the first round, but I think it's been stated elsewhere that if you identify a player at a position of need(even even several spots down the list and possibly less immediate) that is significantly better than the rest in terms of BPA, there is plenty of logic to taking him.

Back to the thread title specifically, I might have to compare the play of both players to see if that is what we can expect.  I won't assume that you did or didn't, though you seem to have a good feel for offseason moves and I enjoy your posts.

One thing the Bills have going for them with Dion Dawkins, is that based on his social media and other quotes in articles I've seen, he seems to genuinely enjoy being on the Bills.  Now that I think of it, wasn't it him what wrote that article about what a tight knit unit they were?  With players like that, you have a better chance of getting at least some sort of "home town discount".  It also could be argued that this is a side benefit of culture that I don't recall seeing mentioned on here.  

Either way, I enjoy that you bring up some forward-thinking matters that we might not all focus on otherwise.  When I was thinking about drafting an OT, it was to be one half of 2 good bookends, and hadn't put a lot of thought into the possible need to replace Dawkins so soon.

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

You have to pay Dion Dawkins at least $15 million/year to secure Allen's blind spot. Dion Dawkins and Mitch Morse are the only set pieces on the OL right now.

I like the ability of Jon Feliciano and Cody Ford and they should improve this year to secure there positions on the OL.

Quinton Spain was a huge upgrade over Vlad Ducasse but he is an average at best LG, and his limited athleticism prevents Buffalo from running more screen passes. So I can see a scenario where Beane doesn't re-sign Spain and fills the LG hole with Ford or Feliciano or drafts a LG in the 2nd or 3rd round.

If Beane & McDermott want to move Ford to G, than look for Josh Jones or Prince Tega Wanogho as possible target in round 1. I'm assuming Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Willis, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton and Austin Jackson will be drafted before Buffalo's pick.

BTW, Buffalo has a 5th year option on Tre White, so if they want to exercise it than they can delay putting his big contract on the books for 1 more year and use that cap space towards an outside free agent or extending young players on expiring contracts like Dawkins, Milano.

Beane can save more 2020 cap space by releasing Tyler Kroft, that move clears up $3,212,500, releasing Spencer Long clears up $3,425,000, releasing Trent Murphy clears up $6,275,000. Those 3 moves clear up a total of $12,912,500 which you use to pay toward the $15 to 17 million it will cost to sign Matt Judon or Yannick Ngakoue in free agency.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I would not want to pay dawkins 15 million a year. Unless there is a substantial rise in his play next season. 

• Like 1

flat,550x550,075,f.u5.jpg

43 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

I would not want to pay dawkins 15 million a year. Unless there is a substantial rise in his play next season. 

And this is the dilemma of the NFL and the CBA.   Wage inflation is crazy for guys getting their 2nd contract.

Heck the Bills paid Star Lotulelei  a $50,000,000 - 5 year contract , including  $24,650,000 guaranteed.   And he ain't a starting LT.

The dilemma is Dawkins will walk and go to another team if you don't match the "going rate" for average LTs.    DJ Humphries and his agent just set the bar at $15 million / year. 

Let Dawkins walk?  You better draft one in April then and prepare for 2021 without then.   Or, tag him for one year and pay him 

19 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

And this is the dilemma of the NFL and the CBA.   Wage inflation is crazy for guys getting their 2nd contract.

Heck the Bills paid Star Lotulelei  a $50,000,000 - 5 year contract , including  $24,650,000 guaranteed.   And he ain't a starting LT.

The dilemma is Dawkins will walk and go to another team if you don't match the "going rate" for average LTs.    DJ Humphries and his agent just set the bar at $15 million / year. 

Let Dawkins walk?  You better draft one in April then and prepare for 2021 without then.   Or, tag him for one year and pay him 

I think I would take my chances finding another tackle as opposed to committing 60+ million to a replaceable player. But, if he showed more improvement I'd be more willing.

1 year tag first, he's not worth that money right now.  The better play to me is draft a T this year and I mean an ACTUAL Tackle, not Guards mascarading as T and prepare for life without him.  I think he could be a great RT, hes average at LT, if you could get Jones in the draft, move Dawkins and spin it to him hes going to make more as an elite RT than a good LT.  If the two of them become bookends, pay him to stay, but if hes average again.. bye.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DC2007 said:

1 year tag first, he's not worth that money right now.  The better play to me is draft a T this year and I mean an ACTUAL Tackle, not Guards mascarading as T and prepare for life without him.  I think he could be a great RT, hes average at LT, if you could get Jones in the draft, move Dawkins and spin it to him hes going to make more as an elite RT than a good LT.  If the two of them become bookends, pay him to stay, but if hes average again.. bye.

That's morning the line of what I'm thinking.

Is dawkins far and away better than waddle or nsekhe? Meh. 

42 minutes ago, DC2007 said:

Good someone else that sees an OT (assuming it is the right one) in the 1st round of the draft does make sense.

Josh Allen needs the best damn OLine the organization can give him.   Waddle?  Ty?    What are we shooting for?   Getting a 68 on our final exam?     How about shooting for a 95!

6 hours ago, DC2007 said:

While I agreed with much of your sentiment,  do you know what the franchise tag will cost at his position?(I'm not sure if I am asking rhetorically or not).  

In 2018 Franchise Tag value anywhere on the offensive line was a bit over $14 million dollars.  Two years later, it will certainly be higher, and seemingly negate part of this strategy.  I suppose one could see it as paying the same amount but with less of a commitment.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

6 hours ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

That's morning the line of what I'm thinking.

Is dawkins far and away better than waddle or nsekhe? Meh. 

You are selling Dawkins short, Dawkins is a lot better than Waddle and IMO just as good as Nsekhe. Nsekhe has better size than Dawkins, but Nsekhe was battling injuries last year.

I'm not opposed to investing in the OL, in fact I believe Buffalo can do better than Spain at LG and Beane should not over pay to keep him. If they are sold on Ford at RT, than I can see Beane drafting a LG in the 2nd or 3rd round.

If they are not sold on Ford at RT, than move him to G, and draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round to compete with Nsekhe for the starting RT spot. in this scenario that rookie should be able to beat out Nsekhe for the RT spot.

Assuming Waddle is resigned, having Nsekhe and Waddle as back up OT's puts Buffalo in a great position in terms of back up talent at OT.

I can also see Beane drafting a raw athletic OT with upside to develop as a potential replacement for Nsekhe.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

9 hours ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

That is the market value for a good OT right now. Right now Lane Johnson a RT, is the highest paid OT in the NFL at an average salary of $18 million/season. Is Johnson worth $18 million/season?

If I am going to pay an OT $15 million/year I would rather give that money to Dion Dawkins than DJ Humphries, Dawkins is a superior player to Humphries.

Dawkins played well in his rookie season, he struggled in 2018, and then bounced back in 2019. Dawkins is one of the most athletic if not most athletic OL on the team and plays well in space when asked to make blocks down the field in the running game or in passing game when Daboll calls a screen pass.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

8 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

LOL, Beane is not letting Dawkins walk. Why would you create a hole at LT?

If you want to move him to LG, and draft a LT that would make more sense than letting a young, talented OL in his prime walk.

Everything I have heard from Beane and McDermott says they are happy with Dawkins at LT and they want to keep him around. Bill Belichick drafted an undersized OL who many draft experts thought was a LG in Isaiah Wynn to play LT. Wynn is only 6'2 3/4" , 312 lb with  33 3/8" arm length compared to Dawkins who is 6'3 7/8" , 314 lbs with 35" arm length. I find it funny that a lot of people praise Belichick for his draft moves of going against the grain, but when Buffalo does it we criticize them.

Beane and McDermott's philosophy is drafting well, developing that talent and then re-signing those players when their contracts are up instead of signing talent from outside the building. It's much better to have Dawkins on this team at LT or LG than letting him walk.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

12 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

LOL, Beane is not letting Dawkins walk. Why would you create a hole at LT?

If you want to move him to LG, and draft a LT that would make more sense than letting a young, talented OL in his prime walk.

Everything I have heard from Beane and McDermott says they are happy with Dawkins at LT and they want to keep him around. Bill Belichick drafted an undersized OL who many draft experts thought was a LG in Isaiah Wynn to play LT. Wynn is only 6'2 3/4" , 312 lb with  33 3/8" arm length compared to Dawkins who is 6'3 7/8" , 314 lbs with 35" arm length. I find it funny that a lot of people praise Belichick for his draft moves of going against the grain, but when Buffalo does it we criticize them.

Beane and McDermott's philosophy is drafting well, developing that talent and then re-signing those players when their contracts are up instead of signing talent from outside the building. It's much better to have Dawkins on this team at LT or LG than letting him walk.

I would not suggest letting Dawkins walk.  In fact, we damn well better extend him or resign him.  (PLUS get an upgrade at RT).

But the Bills will have to "show him the money".   We are not getting him on the cheap.  The CBA and Free Agency was negotiated and crafted by the Players Union to allow players to maximize their salaries.  

And Bills fans that think that "is too much money"  to pay Dawkins, have to get over it.   Left Tackles are expensive.  Even ones that are not Pro Bowlers.

3 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I would not suggest letting Dawkins walk.  In fact, we damn well better extend him or resign him.  (PLUS get an upgrade at RT).

But the Bills will have to "show him the money".   We are not getting him on the cheap.  The CBA and Free Agency was negotiated and crafted by the Players Union to allow players to maximize their salaries.  

And Bills fans that think that "is too much money"  to pay Dawkins, have to get over it.   Left Tackles are expensive.  Even ones that are not Pro Bowlers.

+1.  Another option which you or someone else may have already mentioned if I recall, is signing Dawkins and somehow drafting someone even better suited to left tackle and sliding him to right tackle.  That might be the dream scenario for some, but I am not sure how much likelihood there is without any movement in position at all.  Stranger things have happened in the draft, but I'm trying to be open to whatever, otherwise my emotions may not be where I'd like them to be.  ;)

If I had to wager, I'd be fairly confident they sign him,  especially if that was him that wrote that article about how tight the line is, how theyre having babies together and all(or however he worded it).  Gave me the feeling he felt at home.  If that was him, that is a benefit of culture I don't recall if I've seen mentioned, other than maybe the last time I said it :)

5 hours ago, StraightJ said:

+1.  Another option which you or someone else may have already mentioned if I recall, is signing Dawkins and somehow drafting someone even better suited to left tackle and sliding him to right tackle.  That might be the dream scenario for some, but I am not sure how much likelihood there is without any movement in position at all.  Stranger things have happened in the draft, but I'm trying to be open to whatever, otherwise my emotions may not be where I'd like them to be.  ;)

If I had to wager, I'd be fairly confident they sign him,  especially if that was him that wrote that article about how tight the line is, how theyre having babies together and all(or however he worded it).  Gave me the feeling he felt at home.  If that was him, that is a benefit of culture I don't recall if I've seen mentioned, other than maybe the last time I said it :)

In December I was hoping the Bills would draft Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville.   He was projected as a 2nd rounder at that time.   Then he started showing up at the bottom of the first.

Now you see him being mocked at around 10th, or higher.    So I guess we have no shot at him.

We have to hope 4 QBs go in the top 12.   Then 5 WRs go in the Top 20.   Then maybe 3-4 CBs go in the Top 20 and we will see what happens.       Maybe we get lucky and one of the Top 4 OTs falls to 22.   Draft him and then sort out who plays Left and Right Tackle.

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

In December I was hoping the Bills would draft Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville.   He was projected as a 2nd rounder at that time.   Then he started showing up at the bottom of the first.

Now you see him being mocked at around 10th, or higher.    So I guess we have no shot at him.

We have to hope 4 QBs go in the top 12.   Then 5 WRs go in the Top 20.   Then maybe 3-4 CBs go in the Top 20 and we will see what happens.       Maybe we get lucky and one of the Top 4 OTs falls to 22.   Draft him and then sort out who plays Left and Right Tackle.

Yeah, the amount of movement can be something to marvel at at times.  I guess that's why some of this right now is just entertainment, maybe a rough idea.  All of that before the combine even, you know?

2 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

If Buffalo doesn't want to pay Dawkins anther team gladly will. 

As far as the salary's being expensive, they are relatively speaking compared to every day peoples jobs but in the NFL that is what they are worth. And if you are going to sign a player to a big contract, you want to give that money to a player you drafted and developed and know won't let it get to his head. When you sign a player outside your building you don't know what you are getting if you made a mistake when you were vetting him. 

Dawkins ran a1.79 second 10 yard split on his 40 yard dash, anything below 1.85 seconds is considered athletic for an OT.

Average arm length for an OT is 33", Dawkins has the arm length of 35".

Dawkins is a lot better than some people want to give him credit for.

• Like 1

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

1 hour ago, junglesouljah said:

If Buffalo doesn't want to pay Dawkins anther team gladly will. 

As far as the salary's being expensive, they are relatively speaking compared to every day peoples jobs but in the NFL that is what they are worth. And if you are going to sign a player to a big contract, you want to give that money to a player you drafted and developed and know won't let it get to his head. When you sign a player outside your building you don't know what you are getting if you made a mistake when you were vetting him. 

Dawkins ran a1.79 second 10 yard split on his 40 yard dash, anything below 1.85 seconds is considered athletic for an OT.

Average arm length for an OT is 33", Dawkins has the arm length of 35".

Dawkins is a lot better than some people want to give him credit for.

Good post, my man. I agree that he is likely underrated by many, and I won't bore you with the theories I come up with partly to entertain myself.  I don't as a routine rewatch games to check the line or anything like that like some of you might, so I likely had him underrated in my mind as well.  While watching the action of the game,  I dont usually focus too much on the tackles, if theyre even on the screen.  

I rememeber a compilation video(maybe at the end of this last season?) of him on some social media which also gave some piece of information that I recall really suprised me in a positive way.  Then in the video, he was making some defenders look rather silly.  Granted it's cherry picked plays, but it still required a lot of talent to do what I saw him so.  

Wanted to put in a quick word for CL, I dont think he either wants or overly expects the Bills to let him walk, he's just doing his version of GMBB's due dilligance and looking at all of the possibilities.  As much time as we spend on here, it seems we may as well, lol.   

And this letter that he wrote to Bills fans, I recall it really gave me the feel of a family-like unit, and him in particular(being he wrote it) as someone who LOVES this team, that maybe they could get away with a little bit of a sweetheart deal with, but I'm ok if they don't.   I may have not been as harsh on Shady as you, however it does not mean I do not recognize the value of someone who at least comes across more like Dion and other guys like Horrible Harry, the lunch pale, family man types that would fit in the stories from my dad's old coutry songs. :)

I appreciate how you distinguished real world expensive vs NFL expensive, because while it is real money, in a way it's more akin to monopoly money as a boundary of the game when one considers the revenue the NFL compiles.  They could almost classify themsellves as a branch of the US Mint.  

I'm guessing you're very familiar with his letter to the fans, but here it is again for anyone who may want to get a feel for his character and personality. Wasn't overly pleased with the couple of people who nitpicked and busted his balls over minor stuff, but I've learned you can't please everyone all the time:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/dion-dawkins-buffalo-bills-mafia

The Bills are going to have to pony up for Dawkins.

They cannot have a question mark for Josh Allen's blind side if they wanna see Allen to continue to improve and be the mega-franchise QB.

• Thanks 1