Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

Draft Analyst sees "separation" the most important element drafting a WR

Edited for readability.   Here is the whole article:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-lessons-learned-from-scouting-hits-and-misses-from-past-draft-classes/

Evaluating the NFL Draft can be humbling. You can pour over hours of film on a prospect and consider every available analytic, and, in a few years, your pre-draft evaluation proves to have been downright brutal.  I adored bigger wideouts, some who flopped in the league like Dorial Green-Beckham, Josh Doctson, and Marcell Ateman.

But the league has changed to being more separation-based at the receiver spot.
Got to get open.
Bigger receivers aren't completely defunct, yet consistently generating separation is much more valuable to the vast majority of clubs than the occasional high-point grab in traffic.
Quarterbacks today like to see their target open before ripping it much more than they did in the past. 

He goes on to say....."I'm keeping a particularly close eye on those wideouts who've been highly productive for multiple years at their respective schools like Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Tee Higgins, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims, Isaiah Hodgins, Gabriel Davis, Antonio Gandy-Golden, and James Proche.

Bottomline:     Prospects have a decently strong likelihood of being really good in the NFL if:

a) They have really good film,
b) Produced at a high level in college (for more than one season) and
c) Have excellent combine workouts relative to others at their position .

OP:   I have been preaching "separation" for awhile.  Especially for Josh Allen.    Man I hope we get it right and don't end up with another Zay Jones or James Hardy.  NOTE. The combine workouts factor in because when a WR has an amazing 3 cone drill or 20 yard shuttle that typically indicates the ability to get separation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign TE Greg Olsen, DE Mathew Judon, DT Vernon Butler, WR Devin Funchess      Late Rd pick RB Javon Leake, Maryland   

You can get separation with speed and route running or with height, jumping ability and ball skills.

Someone like Plexico Burress or Megatron or AJ Green back in the day , of in today's game like Mike Williams or  DeAndre Hopkins or Alshon Jeffery or Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay, are big, tall WR's that can high point the ball and win 50 50 jump balls.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Just now, junglesouljah said:

You can get separation with speed and route running or with height, jumping ability and ball skills.

Someone like Plexico Burress or Megatron or AJ Green back in the day , of in today's game like Mike Williams or  DeAndre Hopkins or Alshon Jeffery or Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay, are big, tall WR's that can high point the ball and win 50 50 jump balls.

If you have time, read the whole article.   In his opinion, big, tall WRs that can high point is so 2015.     

More important is separation.    (Of course if you can draft a fast Alshon Jeffrey who never drops a ball go for it)

Sign TE Greg Olsen, DE Mathew Judon, DT Vernon Butler, WR Devin Funchess      Late Rd pick RB Javon Leake, Maryland   

1 hour ago, Crazy Legs said:

Edited for readability.   Here is the whole article:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-lessons-learned-from-scouting-hits-and-misses-from-past-draft-classes/

Evaluating the NFL Draft can be humbling. You can pour over hours of film on a prospect and consider every available analytic, and, in a few years, your pre-draft evaluation proves to have been downright brutal.  I adored bigger wideouts, some who flopped in the league like Dorial Green-Beckham, Josh Doctson, and Marcell Ateman.

But the league has changed to being more separation-based at the receiver spot.
Got to get open.
Bigger receivers aren't completely defunct, yet consistently generating separation is much more valuable to the vast majority of clubs than the occasional high-point grab in traffic.
Quarterbacks today like to see their target open before ripping it much more than they did in the past. 

He goes on to say....."I'm keeping a particularly close eye on those wideouts who've been highly productive for multiple years at their respective schools like Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Tee Higgins, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims, Isaiah Hodgins, Gabriel Davis, Antonio Gandy-Golden, and James Proche.

Bottomline:     Prospects have a decently strong likelihood of being really good in the NFL if:

a) They have really good film,
b) Produced at a high level in college (for more than one season) and
c) Have excellent combine workouts relative to others at their position .

OP:   I have been preaching "separation" for awhile.  Especially for Josh Allen.    Man I hope we get it right and don't end up with another Zay Jones or James Hardy.  NOTE. The combine workouts factor in because when a WR has an amazing 3 cone drill or 20 yard shuttle that typically indicates the ability to get separation.

The combine work out is meant to check off boxes. If a player does great or poorly you go look back at the prospects game tape to see if you missed something in your evaluation.

40 times, 3 cone drill, vertical jump and broad jump are good indicators of explosiveness for all prospects, but don't let it over rule what you saw on tape. Everyone was mocking DK Metcalf for his slow 3 cone drill time, but he still had a great rookie season. A great 3 cone time is more important for a slot WR that has to make quick movements and have the ability to change directions like Julian Edelman or Cole Beasley, but doesn't effect an X WR like Metcalf as much.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

14 minutes ago, Crazy Legs said:

If you have time, read the whole article.   In his opinion, big, tall WRs that can high point is so 2015.     

More important is separation.    (Of course if you can draft a fast Alshon Jeffrey who never drops a ball go for it)

I respect Chris Trapasso, and read alot of his articles but I disagree with him here. 

You can will with smaller quicker WR's that are excellent route runners or bigger, taller, WR's that can box out CB's and high point the ball.

Both Laviska Shenault and Tee Higgins are bigger taller WR's, that won't have the timed speed of Henry Ruggs or KJ Hill or Jalen Reagor, but they can still be successful NFL WR's.

If Ruggs were to fall in the draft and Beane traded up to get him I would have no issues with the pick. 

Beane just needs to draft a WR that is taller than 5'10" and heaver than 180 lbs.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

10 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

I respect Chris Trapasso, and read alot of his articles but I disagree with him here. 

You can will with smaller quicker WR's that are excellent route runners or bigger, taller, WR's that can box out CB's and high point the ball.

Both Laviska Shenault and Tee Higgins are bigger taller WR's, that won't have the timed speed of Henry Ruggs or KJ Hill or Jalen Reagor, but they can still be successful NFL WR's.

If Ruggs were to fall in the draft and Beane traded up to get him I would have no issues with the pick. 

Beane just needs to draft a WR that is taller than 5'10" and heaver than 180 lbs.

Why?  Our current WR room plus a Tyreek Hill would be pretty damn good.  

I get the point of the article...you can't touch these WRs at all anymore.  Certainly can't blast them when they come across the middle which is what used to happen to guys like Cole Beasley.  Because of that, these smaller faster WRs are flourishing.  Get another TE who can go high-point the ball.  If it works out to get a WR that is big but also good, then awesome.  But the big guy better be able to run b/c otherwise today's defensive backs are better and better at staying in their pocket and knocking the ball away.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo13 said:

I get the point of the article...you can't touch these WRs at all anymore.  Certainly can't blast them when they come across the middle which is what used to happen to guys like Cole Beasley.  Because of that, these smaller faster WRs are flourishing.  Get another TE who can go high-point the ball.  If it works out to get a WR that is big but also good, then awesome.  But the big guy better be able to run b/c otherwise today's defensive backs are better and better at staying in their pocket and knocking the ball away.  

We all want the Bills to have a more potent offense.   Although, IMO, drafting a WR in the 1st round is not a magical fix.   Not with Josh Allen as the QB.

We need more offense.  Absolutely.   
We need a more productive passing game.  Definitely.

We need to add pass catchers, that can get OPEN.     Whether it is a Tight End, Wide Receiver or Running Back.   Get separation.   And, not 40 yards downfield.

FYI.  Tyreek Hill is a great example of "getting separation".    No one can stay with him.    He gets OPEN.  Doesn't matter that he can't out jump 6'1" DBs.   So find me skinny guys, big guys, doesn't matter.   Find me guys like 7-11.........Always Open

3 hours ago, Buffalo13 said:

Tyreek Hill type talent is rare in the NFL. If you want the next Tyreek Hill you will have to trade up to get Henry Ruggs. Ruggs is 2" taller and weighs 15 lbs more and should time out just as fast as Hill at the combine.

Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins and Denzel Mims are all WR's that should be on the board when Buffalo picks in the 1st round and will all be a huge upgrade at WR.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

5 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

Tyreek Hill type talent is rare in the NFL. If you want the next Tyreek Hill you will have to trade up to get Henry Ruggs. Ruggs is 2" taller and weighs 15 lbs more and should time out just as fast as Hill at the combine.

Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins and Denzel Mims are all WR's that should be on the board when Buffalo picks in the 1st round and will all be a huge upgrade at WR.

If Henry Ruggs is still on the board at 15, it might be like the Tremaine Edmunds trade up.   All the experts predicted Edmunds would be gone by pick 10.   He wasn't.  He was still available at 15 and Beane went into action to move up to get him.

3 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

If Henry Ruggs is still on the board at 15, it might be like the Tremaine Edmunds trade up.   All the experts predicted Edmunds would be gone by pick 10.   He wasn't.  He was still available at 15 and Beane went into action to move up to get him.

Ruggs hasn't peaked yet. He got by on speed and athleticism, once he learns how to be a route runner he is going to be scary good.

I would be very happy with Beane trading up to get Ruggs.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg